Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,054 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:06 AM

Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW (12938 Views)

Danger Ahead As IPOB Demand For Kanu "Dead Or Alive " From Govt. / Total Blackout As Power Generation Falls To 0 MW / Power Generation Drops Further To 2,035.20MW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by macaranta(m): 9:08am On Mar 25, 2016
It's not rocket science...so they said.

1 Like

Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by Nobody: 9:09am On Mar 25, 2016
nbright:
Zombies will be like.

Not just zombies...wailers too.

When NEPA was NEPA...one big complaint they used to have was that people did not pay their bills.From time to time...they would release figures saying that people owed billions of naira...and Nigerians just looked at them

Then there is the fact that our transmission system is in a mess...and it needs fixing. That is why GEJ privatized power.

Finally, generation too needs to be increased....and it needs money.

You can call me a zombie....but you can agree with me that there is no such thing as a free lunch. Time we Nigerians started paying for our electricity.
Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by Smooyis(m): 9:11am On Mar 25, 2016
poseidon12:

What do you mean by home grown solutions? The main reason we are not able to get anything right, including power generation, is because we have a dysfunctional political structure. We are running a unitary system of government. If we don't fix the dysfunctional political structure, we will never get anything right. We will just be wasting our time.
No leader can transform Nigeria without political restructuring.

Thank you sir. Sometimes I wonder if it takes the eyes of a prophet to see that Nigeria needs restructuring. Nothing can work with the present arrangements.

For instance in the power sector, states that generate power are mandated to supply such to the national grid first before it can be shared back to them. Ask why states no longer invest in power generation. Our youths are docile and bereft of what the solutions are. They don't know more than criticisms along party lines. Rather than form pressure groups and suggest ideas they tow the lines of zombies and wailers. What a pity.
Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by judondasylva(m): 9:11am On Mar 25, 2016
siraj1402:
I voted for Buhari a fulani man, I can't remember voting for an angel. So I never expected a miracle, I voted for change not magic.16 years misrule can not be repaired in a year..... #I_Stand_With_Buhari
****that's why you keep on giving excuses but I want to give you an assignment. go and Google the great depression in America of 1929 and the first 100 days of the new deal and come back and tell me what you see.

1 Like

Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by Nobody: 9:13am On Mar 25, 2016
Smooyis:

Thank you sir. Sometimes I wonder if it takes the eyes of a prophet to see that Nigeria needs restructuring. Nothing can work with the present arrangements.

For instance in the power sector, states that generate power are mandated to supply such to the national grid first before it can be shared back to them. Ask why states no longer invest in power generation. Our youths are docile and bereft of what the solutions are. They don't know more than criticisms along party lines. Rather than form pressure groups and suggest ideas they tow the lines of zombies and wailers. What a pity.

You and they guy you responded to get sense well well.

I remember the problems states had some years back when they built power stations, and were told that they had to donate all their power to the grid...while getting a token back in return.

Bad thinking.

1 Like

Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by olas24u(f): 9:14am On Mar 25, 2016
poseidon12:

What do you mean by home grown solutions? The main reason we are not able to get anything right, including power generation, is because we have a dysfunctional political structure. We are running a unitary system of government. If we don't fix the dysfunctional political structure, we will never get anything right. We will just be wasting our time.
No leader can transform Nigeria without political restructuring.

You were right on the structure of the country ,but before that you can do somethings .Nolly wood and the entertainment industries were creative efforts of people and we can see the result and they had to re- base to factor in this sectors. There are Nigerians with interest in any area that is not functioning in Nigeria.so we have to go around them, with new ideas that will take them out of business.E.g generator that can use water or batteries ,solar from the sun, generation from the wind ,generation from human waste , and other waste.or any other thing and not to depend on government .They are not progressing but retrogressing ,obj ,yar adua,GEJ now Buhari ,and its still 3000mega watts .Empirically ,something is wrong and its not the structure for now it is interest of some people .Tokyo airport generates 3000 megatwatts and Nigeria with 178million generates less than 5000.
Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by Nobody: 9:18am On Mar 25, 2016
ZZ22:
Are you sure your human? To make sure your human type this captcha below.... ZoMb1E
LMFAO

1 Like

Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by Reference(m): 9:25am On Mar 25, 2016
Flets:
Anybody who thinks Buhari can fight IPOB, Tompolo, Nigerdelta, call the bluff of the south and expect the gas pipelines to stay intact needs to check his head.

No nation disunited in purpose ever makes progress.

Period. And neither will any serious foreign investor visit a family filled with squabbling relations. Nigeria simply cannot develop. We need leaders and peoples who can truly unite the country. We need a president who will go round Nigeria and BEG, APPEASE, ASSURE, CONSOLE and show SOLIDARITY with all peoples of Nigeria.
Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by funkyibodude(m): 9:34am On Mar 25, 2016
LudaChriz:
I could remember vividly how the duo of [b]Fashola and Osinbajo were "mouth wetting" during campaign periods that power generation is not a rocket science.

[/b]One would think that these men have the master plan to give us 24 hours power supply ones elected; but Lo & behold, reverse is the case.

The "power supply is not a rocket science" chant was all in an attempt to paint GEJ as clueless and confused before the masses; but down inside them they know quite well that they do not have the solution to our epileptic power supply.

To them now they have succeeded in rooting GEJ out by scamming the populace and they will be calling themselves great politicians. Hmmm, they forget two things - God & karma. We shall see what becomes of APC at the end of it all
that's because empty vessels makes the loudest noise
Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by wiseoneking: 9:43am On Mar 25, 2016
siraj1402:
I voted for Buhari a fulani man, I can't remember voting for an angel. So I never expected a miracle, I voted for change not magic.16 years misrule can not be repaired in a year..... #I_Stand_With_Buhari
Here comes the Deceived standing with his god.

2 Likes

Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by bxcode(m): 9:45am On Mar 25, 2016
greatgod2012:
Honestly, when are we going to get anything right in this country

Little wonder, everyone wants to travel abroad.
Tell them to stop traveling nah, let everyone wait for everybody so that everybody can travel together cry cry cry
Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by nbright: 10:01am On Mar 25, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Not just zombies...wailers too.

When NEPA was NEPA...one big complaint they used to have was that people did not pay their bills.From time to time...they would release figures saying that people owed billions of naira...and Nigerians just looked at them

Then there is the fact that our transmission system is in a mess...and it needs fixing. That is why GEJ privatized power.

Finally, generation too needs to be increased....and it needs money.

You can call me a zombie.... but you can agree with me that there is no such thing as a free lunch . Time we Nigerians started paying for our electricity.
but buhari promised free lunch, does your statement meant buhari lied to Nigerians?
Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by biomedixexcel(m): 10:06am On Mar 25, 2016
We have entered one chance
Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by just2endowed: 10:06am On Mar 25, 2016
megareal:
No light in my area for like 3 weeks. This new drop means we fit no see light for eternity.

That's change for u

1 Like

Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by Nobody: 10:06am On Mar 25, 2016
nbright:
but buhari promised free lunch, does your statement meant buhari lied to Nigerians?

Actually....and this is not a defence of the APC (disclosure...I have been following Nigeria's power sector for some time), APC had nothing to say about power (except Atiku saying that they should reverse the privatization policy....but that was him speaking in his personal capacity).

The main problems are generation and transmission. APC should sort them out....promises or no.
Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by callJesu: 10:08am On Mar 25, 2016
Corruption has taken every sector of the economy since the Birth of the country
Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by freeze001(f): 10:10am On Mar 25, 2016
biomedixexcel:
We have entered one chance

It's no longer a whole chance...kinda halved now undecided

1 Like

Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by nbright: 10:10am On Mar 25, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Actually....and this is not a defence of the APC (disclosure...I have been following Nigeria's power sector for some time), APC had nothing to say about power (except Atiku saying that they should reverse the privatization policy....but that was him speaking in his personal capacity).

The main problems are generation and transmission. APC should sort them out....promises or no.
did buhari lied to Nigerians?
Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by BetaThings: 10:51am On Mar 25, 2016
TPAND:
We made a mistake.

We got wheedle into this doom called CHANGE.

APC, Buhari - I should have known this man has never been a man of his words. This guy on 2 different occasions swore never to contest for the office of the president. He even swore not to go to the election tribunal or a court if he loses the elections, he never kept to his word.

A chameleon can only change its color but not its skin.

What is the alternative
Zero additional generation in 16 years?
Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by Boldeyez7: 10:54am On Mar 25, 2016
Problem everywhere you go!!!

If this is the kindda change PMB promised us about, demn, I'm in trouble, I'm in really big trouble!!!
Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by agbangam: 10:55am On Mar 25, 2016
Jirate:

This is very Painful. Their inability to maintain anything Good left behind by their predecessor. They are all a Bunch of Foooools as far as I am concerned. They should learn to give credit to GEJ whenever it is necessary rather than always eager to rubbish his name and legacy, when they know within them selves that they will never be able to out perform him.

Give credit to who? Which legacy did he leave behind.. My problem wit looosers like u is dat u really do not know d source of ur problem.
GEJ sold our power to incompetent pple in d name of privatisation, pple who do not have clues on how to manage d power sector. So it is d outcome of ur Heroes privatisation dat we are suffering.
I Say Receive Common Sense
Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by Chessco(m): 11:03am On Mar 25, 2016
LudaChriz:
As if to call the bluff of President Muhammadu Buhari’s pronouncement to generate 10,000 megawatts, MW, by 2019, output from the generating plants dropped to as low as 2,841MW by mid-day, yesterday.

Data from the Nigerian Systems Operations Department of the Transmission Company of Nigeria, TCN, website, www.nsong.org , indicated that the situation had gone even worse with generation dropping again to 2,841.90MW as at 12:42pm, yesterday.

The President’s declaration, Tuesday has attracted a lot of scepticisms from various stakeholders, who argued that it was a mission impossible given the current state of the Nigerian power sector, which is characterised by weak and obsolete system.

They noted further that 10,000MW was not a new power target, considering that former President Olusegun Obasanjo had also touted the same capacity target for 2010, which never came to pass till date.
Specifically, they argued that 2019 was exit period of the current administration and, therefore, the President would not be held responsible in the event of failure to achieve the 10,000MW.
They added that to achieve the set target by 2019, will mean generating at least 3,333MW every year over the next three years.

The challenges in doing this, they noted, include the weak transmission network, which cannot wheel that amount of power, given that the much talked about transmission grid has not been constructed.

The transmission system in Nigeria comprises 330 KV and 132 KV circuits and substations and the highest maximum daily energy wheeled nationwide was the one-off 109,372MWH, which was attained when generation output hit a record 5,074MW on February 2, 2016.

Also, except new capacities come on stream, all the existing power plants in Nigeria cannot generate 10,000MW, while the 11 existing distribution companies, DISCOs, cannot accommodate the 10,000MW due to weak tools and equipment.

Although the Systems Operations did not give any reasons for the drastic drop, or which plant generated what, it, however, indicated that the 1,580.6MW were distributed to the 11 electricity Distribution Companies, DISCOs, as follows:
Ikeja - 426.29 MW; Abuja - 326.82 MW; Eko - 312.61 MW; Benin - 255.77 MW; Enugu - 255.77 MW; Ibadan - 369.45 MW; Jos - 156.30 MW; Kano - 227.35MW; Kaduna -227.35 MW; Port Harcourt - 184.72 MW; and Yola - 99.47 MW.

Accordingly, analysts argued that except a miracle happens, the 10,000MW target will remain a mirage.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/03/power-generation-drops-2841mw/
. The minister for power is not even an engineer to start with.

1 Like

Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by samplegirl(f): 11:27am On Mar 25, 2016
Pidggin:
55 years after independence we are still battling with this issue, when will we get it right sad

We may never until we eschew deception. We may never until we decide to sit and look at ourselves eyeballs to eyeballs and tell ourselves the truth.

1 Like

Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by mattmobis(m): 11:31am On Mar 25, 2016
How did we get here for goodness sake!!!!
By the way, where is Fashola that touted that a serious govt should improve power with 6months....he has displayed highest level of unseriousness in his life.
What beats me is that Fashola is handling both power and housing that are grey areas in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by Bimpe29: 11:39am On Mar 25, 2016
When you think about Nigeria as a system, one can't but feel dejected. There is no single sector of the economy one can boast of, not one at all. See resources in abundance, but we are still lacking simple basic amenities. Electric power is not a trivial issue any where in the world, but same has been treated wit levity here. We can't blame those patriotic freedom fighting Nigerians that fought for our independence, if future was seen with certainty back then, they could have seen and felt the immaturity and unwillingness to become an independent nation. So sad.

1 Like

Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by samplegirl(f): 11:43am On Mar 25, 2016
Chessco:
. The minister for power is not even an engineer to start with.

That is is the kind of combination you see in a government of trial and error.

When you take a man who ought to be in court settling boy friend and girl friend feud and make him the head of power source is like taking a successful tailor and make him director general of your stock exchange.

1 Like

Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by solpat(m): 11:50am On Mar 25, 2016
Someone with the Technical Know-how on Electricity Generation should be made The Minister for Power not Fashola This country ehnn God help us

1 Like

Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by Harkindeylee(m): 11:55am On Mar 25, 2016
Read the history of the US during and after the great economic depression between 1929-1932 when Hoover was the president and a very large number of Americans died of hunger. Lo and behold, in 1933, the 32nd President Franklin D. Roosevelt embarked in massive capital and infrastructural development building roads, bridges, drainage systems, post offices, tall government buildings, etc thereby providing jobs in the millions to ordinary citizens to drive the country out of the greatest depression this same great nation have seen. This same America fought a civil war too when Abraham Lincoln was the President of the United States from 1860-1865. Guess what? They trusted and believed in their good leaders and committed to their country and did not gang up against them and expect a miracle they did not get since their independence. Any reasonable person should understand that it is easier to destroy than to build. I will suggest we wait for a full term before I personally will expect any meaningful changes and I strongly believe that this is only logical. The government is laying a good foundation by recovering stolen money, cutting the size of government, changing the framework of government operation, etc. After another year or thereabout I expect the laying down of the blueprint and actual commencement of massive infrastructural and capacity development and diversification of the economy with special emphasis on agriculture and manufacturing. We must solve the problem of electricity in 2020. These are my projections. I trust and believe these things are achievable with PMB.
Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by Jirate(m): 12:45pm On Mar 25, 2016
agbangam:

Give credit to who? Which legacy did he leave behind.. My problem wit looosers like u is dat u really do not know d source of ur problem.
GEJ sold our power to incompetent pple in d name of privatisation, pple who do not have clues on how to manage d power sector. So it is d outcome of ur Heroes privatisation dat we are suffering.
I Say Receive Common Sense

It is you and your Idiotic types that needs to receive Common sense. When you people in APC were Campaigning with any thing in sight last year, you certainly never dreamed that things will never go the way you reasoned, listen and listen good, just stay out of my paths in future for your own good, or I might be force to direct my Anger at you. Dummmmy.

Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by Cemeon: 12:46pm On Mar 25, 2016
2pac's voice" i guess i see no change".....

1 Like

Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by megareal: 2:36pm On Mar 25, 2016
just2endowed:

That's change for u
Na so o.
Re: Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW by blackprowler: 2:51pm On Mar 25, 2016
Flets:
Anybody who thinks Buhari can fight IPOB, Tompolo, Nigerdelta, call the bluff of the south and expect the gas pipelines to stay intact needs to check his head.

No nation disunited in purpose ever makes progress.

Every married man should kukuma submit his wife to the Niger Delta lords for pipelines to stay intact. Black man is an ape

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

President Tinubu Returns To Abuja After Official Visits To Saudi And Bissau / Sulaiman Bakari Picks Nomination Form For House Of Representatives / Our Support For Buhari, Not Atiku ― Action Alliance‎ Denies Endorsing Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.