Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,088 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:20 AM

1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria (11425 Views)

Power Failure: I Have Never Been This Sad For The Past 6 Years / One Shot Dead During The Ongoing "Biafra Million Man March’ Protest / One Million March Protest For Light In Nigeria ' Let There Be Light In 9ja' ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by proudly9ja(m): 4:45pm On Jul 26, 2009
Ehoi:

Better late than never. I was shocked the people want to have a march to protest the electricity situation in the country. I never knew they have the ability or the mindset to even gather together and ask questions. Bt its sad that these people are ready to march for what they think directly effects them but they are not willing to march for their freedom. Have they asked why there is no electricity? The electricity supply is directly linked to the security situation in the niger delta. Most of the gas pipes have been blown up thats why the turbines cannot generate electricity. I believe many of these people going to this march are indifferent to the plight of the niger deltans in the creek yet they want the gas to flow from there to power the turbines so they can enjoy electricity in lagos.

The people are not able to organize themselves or march against a constitution that have put them is perpetual slavery. A system that have stolen their self determination as a people. They are yet to see fit to march against a system that has stolen their land and their resources with the land Use Act. They don't march against a system that steals their vote in the ballot but oh, because electricity directly affects them, they are now ready to march hmm. Nice. Its a step in the right direction but they have got their priorities completely wrong. If they had marched in support of the niger delta many years ago and gotten the problem there solved, we would all be enjoying 24 hour power supply now. Thats why i ask, do these people know the reason why they don't have electricity?

With all due respect sir, where were you when people marched against IBB and his cohorts in the late 80s and 90s? Where were you when students and NLC leaders where gunned down by police and gun totting criminals unleashed against them by the Junta? Did you not read or watch on TV how Nigerians were killed in their hundreds whilst protesting against the annulment of the June 12 elections? And just in case you need a reminder, send a mail to Wole Soyinka, Gani Fawehinmi, etal and ask them your question.

For your information, Nigerians have always protested. They have always put their lives at stake. Thousands are dead today for standing up to the system you talked about. A whole lot more have lost family, friends in 'peaceful' demonstrations such as this. Nigerians have marched against, power failure, fuel scarcity, low/no income, high school fees, etc.
If you feel there is more reasons to march, please feel free to organise your rally.

This is a step in the right direction. Histpry have shown us that change has come in the past via methods such as this.
And for those who say marching is 'mere noise', please go tell that to Martin Luther King and Mahatma Ghandi!
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by mustafar1: 5:07pm On Jul 26, 2009
if u do not want to be part of the protest simply stay away, if u have better ways to try to effect change, be my guest make ur move. till you come up with an option thats better than the protests these people are planning, abeg no critique their plans.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jul 26, 2009
I definitely will be there. Thanks for passing this invaluable piece of info. Several notifications & emails will be sent to CNN. BBC and other popular local news channels too. Its time those investors see what a fraud Nigeria is and they stop respecting these scumbag PDP and similar politricians.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by back2back(f): 6:09pm On Jul 26, 2009
I definitely will be there. Thanks for passing this invaluable piece of info. Several notifications & emails will be sent to CNN. BBC and other popular local news channels too. Its time those investors see what a fraud Nigeria is and they stop respecting these scumbag PDP and similar politricians.

I stand here firmly. This already failed before starting.

It appears you guys have been watching too many CNN and do not understand how Nigeria works.

Nigeria is an HIJACKED country. You dont stop/remove hijackers by street protest.

You hit them where it hurts exactly what MEND is doing.

Israel is land of Jesus. They did not pray to GOD to help them, they develop chemical weapons to wipe out anyone that disturb them.

Roman was great because it wiped-out its enermy! The moment it stopped, it falled.

Thats how it works.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jul 26, 2009
The same faulted line of thinking. Violence? The ND recent escalating attacks has made several ruthless and unfeeling military leaders appear rather more "capable" than their democratic predecessors. I think one great thinker once said: When liberty comes with hands dabbled in blood it is hard to shake hands with her. I believe theres nothing that says: Give Us Light, louder, unlike when we all gather to it in a moderate and meaningful way. Though our leaders are uncivilized, crude, undemocratic, we wont give them more reasons or justification to remain so. One can always hope.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jul 26, 2009
but what if these 1 million individuals combine there muscles together to manually rotate the turbines at least to provide 24 hrs electricity for that day, wouldnt it be better off than marching with nothing to show for it at the end?
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by asha80(m): 7:03pm On Jul 26, 2009
eina:

but what if these 1 million individuals combine there muscles together to manually rotate the turbines at least to provide 24 hrs electricity for that day, wouldnt it be better off than marching with nothing to show for it at the end?

Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by naijaking1: 7:26pm On Jul 26, 2009
eina:

I go die-o-oooo grin
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by back2back(f): 7:28pm On Jul 26, 2009
The same faulted line of thinking. Violence? The ND recent escalating attacks has made several ruthless and unfeeling military leaders appear rather more "capable" than their democratic predecessors. I think one great thinker once said: When liberty comes with hands dabbled in blood it is hard to shake hands with her. I believe theres nothing that says: Give Us Light, louder, unlike when we all gather to it in a moderate and meaningful way. Though our leaders are uncivilized, crude, undemocratic, we wont give them more reasons or justification to remain so. One can always hope.

thats for class-room teaching.

USA wiped-out RED-INDIANS to have peace in AMERICA!!
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Tsiya(m): 7:42pm On Jul 26, 2009
back2back:

To have peace ?. . . I think this galz is second to Condi Rice.

Why not change ur name to blood2blood. You are blood thirsty OK
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by mustafar1: 7:50pm On Jul 26, 2009
back2back, in this case who would we be wiping out?
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by savanaha: 7:56pm On Jul 26, 2009
Ehoi:

Have they asked why there is no electricity? The electricity supply is directly linked to the security situation in the niger delta. Most of the gas pipes have been blown up thats why the turbines cannot generate electricity.

Really? It seems like before the whole ND situation excalated to the level it has, Nigerians were still have the same electricity problem. Everyone wants the march to be about what their idea of what should be marched for. Not everybody can be pleased at the same time. Other people could design their own million man march the way they want.
back2back:

Not quiet sure if this was a joke, but in case its not please go back through your history book. American Indians were in the continent way before the Europeans came. The reasons they were killed off (wiped-out) was to allow the Europeans to "peacefully"steal the land of the Native Americans. It's like the arugment that Africans were made slaves because they were lazy whereas the whites stayed in the house drinking lemonade while the "lazy" people toiled in the field on one meal to make the unlazy whites rich.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by SkyBlue1: 8:06pm On Jul 26, 2009
Ehoi:

Better late than never. I was shocked the people want to have a march to protest the electricity situation in the country. I never knew they have the ability or the mindset to even gather together and ask questions. Bt its sad that these people are ready to march for what they think directly effects them but they are not willing to march for their freedom. Have they asked why there is no electricity? The electricity supply is directly linked to the security situation in the niger delta. Most of the gas pipes have been blown up thats why the turbines cannot generate electricity. I believe many of these people going to this march are indifferent to the plight of the niger deltans in the creek yet they want the gas to flow from there to power the turbines so they can enjoy electricity in lagos.

The people are not able to organize themselves or march against a constitution that have put them is perpetual slavery. A system that have stolen their self determination as a people. They are yet to see fit to march against a system that has stolen their land and their resources with the land Use Act. They don't march against a system that steals their vote in the ballot but oh, because electricity directly affects them, they are now ready to march hmm. Nice. Its a step in the right direction but they have got their priorities completely wrong. If they had marched in support of the niger delta many years ago and gotten the problem there solved, we would all be enjoying 24 hour power supply now. Thats why i ask, do these people know the reason why they don't have electricity?

You are saying things we all know and sorry to say but it just sounds like mroe rhetoric which is NOT what will get the country out of its situation. I explained that I would have had the rally directed at the legislature and I would have done it a bit different but I still say kudos because these people organising it are doing what they think is in their capacity and backing it with action. Again, if you have a better idea why not work to bring it to fruition? After years of hearing nothing but talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk in this section of nairaland it is always refreshing to see people who are willing to back it up with action and if they pull it off in my book they have achieved more than a huge portion of this forum combined have through online participation (personal opinion). What good is it having convictions if you don't plan to do anything anyway?
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by chiyo: 8:07pm On Jul 26, 2009
Kobojunkie:

@Poster, I am going to guess that response there was for me, even though I am not @Richyblack. So, for those who have no plans to be in Nigeria, I am guessing you
mean there is nothing else to do.

Another question I have is this, how do you think the organizers of this rally intend to cause change by organizing this match. We all know that marching is no guarantee for change of any sort, but in this case what exactly is the plan? To simply walk in protest of the PHCN situation? Seriously need info please. By the way, the Facebook face is not open to the public. Since I am not on facebook, how do I see the site?

you can email the organizers. i'm sure they're looking for volunteers as well. if you don't have plans to be in naija, you can contribute by telling ur friends in naija to attend.

I already answered your question (sorry for confusing you with richyblack). most citizens of other countries put pressure on their govts by rallying. it is no guarantee except only if the pressure is strong enough. i mean if it's meant to be a 1 million march and only 100 people show up, it won't have any effect.  unless maybe the same 100 people do it again the next month etc and more people start to join in etc. it took 6 months of weekly protests by the german citizens for the berlin wall to fall.
imagine this in naija. the govt will definitely not pretend not to notice it.
the civil rights movement for AAs was successful because of their persistent protestations, sit ins etc.

like they say, if you want something real bad, you will have to fight for it. i guess most nigerians have accepted their fate and are unwilling to fight for anything now. we have never been known for having an active citizenry. and this is an opportunity to prove ourselves active.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by SkyBlue1: 8:09pm On Jul 26, 2009
@chiyo, my advice to you is to see how you can get the media (most importantly international media) involved, I am hoping I wouldn't have to explain why.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Tsiya(m): 8:23pm On Jul 26, 2009
This idea of 1 million man march is good and I will support it 100%, even though I wont go to Lagos for the rally, but I voice my submit.
Who are the organisers?
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 9:12pm On Jul 26, 2009
chiyo:

you can email the organizers. i'm sure they're looking for volunteers as well. if you don't have plans to be in naija, you can contribute by telling ur friends in naija to attend.

I already answered your question (sorry for confusing you with richyblack). most citizens of other countries put pressure on their govts by rallying. it is no guarantee except only if the pressure is strong enough. i mean if it's meant to be a 1 million march and only 100 people show up, it won't have any effect. unless maybe the same 100 people do it again the next month etc and more people start to join in etc. it took 6 months of weekly protests by the german citizens for the berlin wall to fall.
imagine this in naija. the govt will definitely not pretend not to notice it.
the civil rights movement for AAs was successful because of their persistent protestations, sit ins etc.

like they say, if you want something real bad, you will have to fight for it. i guess most nigerians have accepted their fate and are unwilling to fight for anything now. we have never been known for having an active citizenry. and this is an opportunity to prove ourselves active.

I have always said what we need is action from the people and nothing more. I mean a protest can go so far but I am not exactly 100% that a protest is guaranteed to change things, hence the reason why I ask what else is planned, so I know where I can put myself. I am not going to be there for the work, but even if only 200 people show up, still can be effective if there are other processes in place for people to protest in other ways.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jul 26, 2009
Umm, the Day Star Church Pastor, Sam Adeyemi.
He could have simply succumb like the bigger pastors: Oyedepo and Adeboye. God bless the Man.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by back2back(f): 9:49pm On Jul 26, 2009
back2back, in this case who would we be wiping out?

wipe out all those evil men that call them selves 'leaders of nigeria'

if you go Paris, you will see 'million bones' of those wiped-out doing French Revolution.

To have peace your enermies have to be wiped-out or under lock and key!

It is that simple.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by mustafar1: 11:35pm On Jul 26, 2009
what have you done to put that in motion?
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by rookie(m): 5:27pm On Jul 27, 2009
@kobojunkie
I am not going to be there for the work, but even if only 200 people show up, still can be effective if there are other processes in place for people to protest in other ways.

It could be really helpful if you suggest some additional\other "processes" that could be put in place, Thanks
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 5:43pm On Jul 27, 2009
Don’t mind me @Rookie. I am simply trying to tap into the list of people, if possible, to help push my own agenda which seems to be along the same lines, forward. I noticed this is for October 1st, which is also a date I would like to get my idea out there and was wondering if there are already other plans in place for the list or those who sign up or if there is none, so I can maybe take advantage of it, if possible. Most of us who are online will probably note be there on that date but I believe we can still make some noise on that day and right after; noise that will carry on till even after 2011 elections.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by chidichris(m): 6:18pm On Jul 27, 2009
if there is any march that will change things in the power sector, it MUST NOT be a million mqarch.
what is the percentage of 1 million to the population of nigeria?
the organizers of this march must try to make it at least 100 million march for any of us to think of positive change.
the president and his gangs are busy welcoming ohakim to pdp while nigerians are dying one after the other in hardship.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by nex(m): 6:32pm On Jul 27, 2009
@eina

That was really very funny. I was laughing out loud for up to a minute, but seriously though, we have to do this.

Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by rookie(m): 6:52pm On Jul 27, 2009
@kobojunkie
Most of us who are online will probably note be there on that date but I believe we can still make some noise on that day and right after; noise that will carry on till even after 2011 elections.

K. am on board with any progressive ideas, feel free to share whenever you feel your ideas are ripe,
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by nolongTing: 7:09pm On Jul 27, 2009
You guys need to get REAL! let me repeat that [size=20pt]You guys need to get REAL!! [/size]

The minute some policemen appear and spray some tear gas you and all your marchers will RUN RUN RUN  grin cheesy wink smiley, I have said it before and I will say it again Nigerians need to be inventive and change their way of thinking to get out of the current situation.  The scientists and businessmen should get together and invent a new way to generate energy.  For instance Nigeria is so hot that at times one will get a headache - nothing but natural sunshine and beauty; but who are the leading solar energy scientists in the world? All that sun and Nigerians cannot lead the way when it comes to solar energy  grin cheesy wink smiley scientists in freezing countries in Europe are waaaay better.  Look people take or leave it, the politicians are PART of the problem but collectively we are the solution, this is not rhetoric its real talk.

So if you guys were calling all Nigerian physicists, chemical engineers, computer scientists, engineers, business men, geologists to come together online and in person all over the world to solve the electricity problem then that would be a REAL solution.  Like creating a mini grid in an affluent area of lagos and then trying to spread it all over Nigeria, we would all win! Only when Nigerian professionals use their BRAINS to come up with a technical solution that is financially viable will the country move forward.  If we did find a solution, what can the Nigerian politicians do to derail it? You will all be SAFE developing Nigerias future not UNSAFE and screaming at DEAF LUNATICS.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by invisible2(m): 7:24pm On Jul 27, 2009
I support the idea, you guys should start printing posters, stickers, handbills etc.

I think this can start something serious, including the questions about the corrupt officials, the neglect of the niger delta, the fraud of the national assembly,

The officials could claim to be adamant, but publicize this in many international media, advertise the results, persist like once in every month with the march and they will start to get uncomfortable.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by rookie(m): 7:27pm On Jul 27, 2009
@nolongTing
The minute some policemen appear and spray some tear gas you and all your marchers will RUN RUN RUN  Grin Cheesy Wink Smiley, I have said it before and I will say it again Nigerians need to be inventive and change their way of thinking to get out of the current situation.

While I buy into the notion that Nigerians should employ other approaches as you have suggested, it should not negate any forms of demand for government  accountability.
Moreover, assaults from Nigerian policemen COULD further ignite such media frenzy that a protest begs for,
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by nolongTing: 7:42pm On Jul 27, 2009
rookie:

@nolongTing
While I buy into the notion that Nigerians should employ other approaches as you have suggested, it should not negate any forms of demand for government  accountability.
Moreover, assaults from Nigerian policemen COULD further ignite such media frenzy that a protest begs for, 

There are many different ways to bring about change, whilst a protest is one of them it will be ineffective in Nigeria at present - it will be like playing football with slippers.  Protests will work when Nigeria is developed and the leaders LISTEN, MEND have shown the alternative - its use your brains or be willing to spill your blood; I know which one I prefer.  When you look at Kudirat Abiola for example what did she die for? was it appreciated? what we need is EFFECTIVE action towards something which is not within the control of destructive despots.  But to respond to your point, there is one thing that ha been mastered by Nigerian officials and that is media control.  When is the last time you viewed a BIG nigerian event in the international media? This is not a coincidence those guys have it all covered  wink cheesy grin.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by rookie(m): 8:22pm On Jul 27, 2009
@Nolongting
But to respond to your point, there is one thing that ha been mastered by Nigerian officials and that is media control.  When is the last time you viewed a BIG nigerian event in the international media? This is not a coincidence those guys have it all covered

Good point,  if i may borrow your talking point; this would be a good situation to "use our brains" in giving the protest the right publicity it deserves - i.e through Facebook, Twitter, and mobile phones etc.  wink

Still one thing we can both agree on is that the protest (whether or not you buy into it) would not take away from what we don't have - light, but with any optimism it just might boldly express the common cause that we yearn for - freedom.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 8:26pm On Jul 27, 2009
I have to say I sort of agree with @Nolongthing here. We are talking of Nigeria and we have had protests in the past, that have not yielded much. I do not agree that the problem has always been in the number of people that showed up or did not but the fact that it seemed the push died out right after the event and there was really no serious build up to the event.

But yes, this could be a good start and we could need more than just this one to get something rolling, but it is a good place to start.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by nolongTing: 8:43pm On Jul 27, 2009
rookie:

@Nolongting
Good point,  if i may borrow your talking point; this would be a good situation to "use our brains" in giving the protest the right publicity it deserves - i.e through Facebook, Twitter, and mobile phones etc.  wink

Still one thing we can both agree on is that the protest (whether or not you buy into it) would not take away from what we don't have - light, but with any optimism it just might boldly express the common cause that we yearn for - freedom.

I think that is a good point, however is Nigeria going to change with Twitter and Facebook? Lets be honest, those applications were designed for a genuinely democratic nation like the U.S for example is Yaradua on Facebook? do they give a you know what? I think not.  The truth is Nigeria had a rotten image under Abacha, many Nigerians would lie they were from Ghana at the time and the the death of Mr Ken Saro-Wiwa was massive! in the UK I remember a documentary was shown many times but what did it achieve? Shame on Nigerians nothing more, the west will not do a thing as long as Nigeria pumps out oil for their development.  The minute Nigeria stops selling oil while the west need it, you watch western powers bring about regime change with their weapons of mass destruction.

Another question is, do you really believe that the Nigerian leaders are unaware that their citizens do not need freedom? The economic and social freedom of Nigerians will spell the end of the current crop of recycled pretenders that rule Nigeria today - they will not give up that priviledge without a fight.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

GEJ Has Done Nothing To Warrant His Impeachment - Akpabio / INEC Prepared For Edo Governorship Election Despite Security Reports / "99% Of Smuggled Rice Not Fit For Human Consumption" - Customs Boss, Ali

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.