Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,961 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:17 PM

1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria (11421 Views)

Power Failure: I Have Never Been This Sad For The Past 6 Years / One Shot Dead During The Ongoing "Biafra Million Man March’ Protest / One Million March Protest For Light In Nigeria ' Let There Be Light In 9ja' ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by CGKing(m): 4:14pm On Jul 28, 2009
back2back:

last time OUTSIDERS came, they join NORTH, SOUTH, EAST, WEST into this mess.

please stay in your outside. if you feel you want to help.

1. ask the outsiders to stop giving those 'leaders' VISA

2. ask the outsiders to stop taken corruption money from 'those leaders'

3. ask the outsiders to stop selling these goons weapon

You will be amazed what insiders will do to these leaders!!!

We dont need another Political Party!!

Nice grin
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by nolongTing: 4:16pm On Jul 28, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Absolutely!! and If we have organizations like this that are out there protesting, alongside other orgs pushing change by say pushing for truth in the media, and putting heat on our representatives who seem not to know that we are even here, we are at some point bound to see things start to change, I believe. [size=14pt]I mean imagine people protesting outside of the governor's house like 24/7 for months, I bet you that man will have no peace living as an slowpoke.[/size]

Thats right, we need @Chiyo to organize a special elite force of protestors to hound these guys until they go into exile  grin grin cheesy wink smiley wink cheesy grin and Nigerians with something to offer to deliver their solution on a [size=14pt]no result no fee basis[/size], what sensible Nigerian will be against that?

@chiyo, my suggestions to you if you are bent on going ahead with the march:

- Try to think of the aftermath and how to create a MOVEMENT based on this issue because you will need to keep the PRESSURE on them.  Hence you have to make
  sure you have followers as passionate as you rather than 'one day hecklers'; otherwise things will fizzle out quickly like most positive Nigerian ideas.  

Brand the movement by:
- Creating a Logo and leaflets (if you have not already done so)
- Creating some merchandise like T-Shirts, hats etc to raise awareness, whilst the profits can be used to fund your campaign?
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 4:23pm On Jul 28, 2009
Waste of time and energy.
This shuld b against the govt, this shd be for requesting that Yar'Adua vacating office
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by SkyBlue1: 4:25pm On Jul 28, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Waste of time and energy.
This shuld b against the govt, this shd be for requesting that Yar'Adua vacating office

What is stopping you from starting such a move?
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by mrmetoo1: 5:03pm On Jul 28, 2009
I just wish, for once, people shouting "waste of time and energy" would come up with a solution of their own rather than knocking everyone else's down. I wonder sometimes how Seun had the brains to create a forum like this yet with the same brain post some comments like the one in the first page. We all know you're the oga and chairman but please lets consider some things carefully before responding.

@Poster, I commend you for trying to get the word out there, we all know what you're proposing is not going to be the sole solution to all of our problems but its definitely a step in the right direction. The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. I hope this is the start or continuation, as some people have suggested, of the much needed change in our beloved country. God bless Nigeria!
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by nex(m): 5:42pm On Jul 28, 2009
There are already different Logos for the Light Up Nigeria March. I posted the one which is most popular.

Definitely partakers will have a uniform attire so that we can easily identify any group of thugs who may want to hijack the movement for their own nefarious activities and purge them out.

The movement is on and there's enough time for the organizers to plan for any add-ins.

This land is ours. It's not Rilwan Lukman's or Obasanjo's or Yar'Adua's. It is ours and we decide what is and what should be.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by rookie(m): 6:12pm On Jul 28, 2009
@Nolongting
I think that is a good point, however is Nigeria going to change with Twitter and Facebook? Lets be honest, those applications were designed for a genuinely democratic nation like the U.S for example is Yaradua on Facebook? do they give a you know what? I think not.

LOL,  my mention of FB\Twitter was to suggest how easy it was to draw global attention - I cld care less of what Yaradua thinks abt the sites smiley.
Since Abacha and our transition to so called democrazy, the perception of a peaceful protest COULD draw sympathy from other citizen across d globe - similar to the one shown to Iranians (with arguable success, but lets not get derailed with that).

Just so you know that I do not disagree with you, let me emphasize that I also think that there are other strategies that could prove to be more profitable, but i'd have to initiate them to prove it.
That said, I think it is unproductive for us to get caught up with this my-idea-is-better-than-yours kind of debate when we all seek a common goal(i hope) . While we may disagree to agree, our difference in approach should not deter us from making contributions led by individual convictions.

I would suggest maybe we start another thread where we can explore other ideas.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Bomi(m): 6:14pm On Jul 28, 2009
Thanks to all caring Nigeria! This coast is becoming clear, with the utterances from our leaders showing insensitivity to the plight of Nigerians who elect them. With 40% increment offer to Academic Staff Union of Universities in Nigeria bring the minimum wage to 80,000 Naira with the  least political- Councillor of a local government on 130,000 in the same country where a senator earn as much as 10 million Naira monthly, removal of the petroleum university to Kaduna at this very sensitivy time and the later denial which will amount to non release of the fund earmarked for the project. The last straw that will break the camel's back will be the non payment of arrears of Retired military personnel's  pension for about seven years now! I am young retired from the Navy a trained gunners and ready to go! That is what will solve the country's problem not protest- the cabal will not hear that. Am good to go with the motivation that and prediction that Nigeria will break up soonest!
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by manny4life(m): 6:42pm On Jul 28, 2009
I think it would be a nice idea to implement a solar energy power source. Nigeria has good sunshine and heat and can make very good use of it. I think if investors build solar plant, then generate the power and electricity, and then in turn sell the power back to the national grid, that way, it would solve the power problem in Nigeria.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by stiyke(m): 6:47pm On Jul 28, 2009
Has Protest ever worked in Nigeria?? The problem with protests in nigeria is that our leaders have no shame, they just dont care.

I am in support of this but i wont be surprised if after 60days of protest nothing positive is achieved.

God help Nigeria.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by MUZBO(m): 6:49pm On Jul 28, 2009
It is almost unbelievable that anyone one should not support this idea. I will try my possible best to be there even if its for 1 hour. A protest for light in Nigeria?! Its like anticipating a solar eclipse
(don't mind the pun). I can't bear to miss it.
Gani's million man march may have been below expectation but note that sites like FB and Nairaland didn't exist then and this is not military rule. . .its a big difference!

To all the skeptics, you know what they say: If you can't stop them- join them; but I say to you: If you can't join them don't stop them!- THIS SHOULD BE THE MOTTO OF THIS MATCH!
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 6:57pm On Jul 28, 2009
stiyke:

Has Protest ever worked in Nigeria?? The problem with protests in nigeria is that our leaders have no shame, they just dont care.

I am in support of this but i wont be surprised if after 60days of protest nothing positive is achieved.

God help Nigeria.

I disagree. The Problem is not that protests don’t work but they are not supposed to be the solution ever. They are simply for motivating people and to get attention of those we want to notice us.

Only recently in Ekiti, we had the bare-chested women march protesting the election fraud but we have to ask, what followed that? I am sure we all know they definitely got our attention with that protest, but What came after that protest? Did the people continue or did that move die out after those couple of hours?
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Bamsyle(m): 7:35pm On Jul 28, 2009
@Chiyo and other positively-minded posters

Yours is a brilliant idea . . . one thing you must however always expect when presenting such an idea to people is that a lot of peops would try to discourage you . . . and don't forget that this is Nigeria - too many cynics abound who are always ready to point out problems in any idea but have no solution to offer . . . Noah's Ark was built amidst boos, scorn and jeers . . .

A lot of monumental projects were achieved amidst discouragement.

This idea may not yield ANY result . . . but it's a nice idea to even have been conceived in the first place . . . Naija's problems can never be solved overnight . . . if at all they'll be solved, slow and steady will do it . . .

What to do with all the discouraging posts?? Simply I-G-N-O-R-E.

Atimes even when what you're doing or about to do sounds foolish . . . even when it seems ridiculous . . . even when you have no explanation for it . . . even when you do not believe in it . . .  just do it . . . as long as you have a deep-rooted conviction in it.

I rarely discuss politics . . . and I am not as optimistic about Nigeria as I used to be . . . but even if you cannot visualize, you can still dream . . . I won't be there . . . can only encourage you guys . . . protest is a tool of change in any democratic society . . . and even when a tool is used a thousand times without any result, keep using it as long as you believe in it . . . if it gets damaged in the process, buy a new one . . .

Just don't quit.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by oraaye: 8:07pm On Jul 28, 2009
Back2back i feel you die wink
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by upuphim(m): 8:13pm On Jul 28, 2009
Poster, mind how you support violence.  Remember Nigeria IS multi ethnic, tribal and language in nature.  What worked for other nations may not work in Nigeria.  May I ask you. what plan has MEND to reconstruct the blown pipelines.  As Allied Forces concluded invading Iraq, there were plans for reconstruction. What happens when all oil installations are down.  VIOLENCE DOES BEGAT VIOLENCE.  PROTEST REMAINS A GOOD AVENUE IF NOT HIJACKED BY HOODLUMS.  Two wrongs cannot make right. I'm in support of the match P E R I O D!!!
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 8:20pm On Jul 28, 2009
Sky Blue:

What is stopping you from starting such a move?

cos i am far away.
i would love to start one though.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by rasputinn(m): 8:46pm On Jul 28, 2009
Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwn
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 8:46pm On Jul 28, 2009
Fhemmmy:

cos i am far away.
i would love to start one though.

Dude, you are not too far away! In my opinion, you are even close to Nigeria than most who live there are.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by nex(m): 9:52pm On Jul 28, 2009
@Upuphim

what violence are you talking about.

The violence is not going to come. Not during the Protests anyway. But after series of protests, and months of inaction from the government, the mass of protesting citizens will continue to grow in numbers and their patience will be inversely proportional to their size.

So let's see the people who will take no action when Nigerians all over the country en masse to emulate what will happen in Lagos come October 1.

It's a New Nigerian Order. Let's get our voice back.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by kosovo(m): 10:07pm On Jul 28, 2009
Nigerians are simply pathetic.
  a wastefull development.
     march and march, thats the only thing they can do.
keep marching while the politicians enjoy the fresh air from their air conditional in their cubicle.
i want to assure you, that your 1million = LESS than 1000 people.
   BUT if this is a way to gain media attention, so that you can receive bribe from these politicians, , then THINK AGAIN! cos it lame!

WHAT A WASTE!
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jul 28, 2009
Abeg everyone here, Na wetin I dey wait for be dis for so many years. I just need help to know where and when is this protest is start, I want so much to be in the first line of this protest and I am 100% sure that it will work out pretty good thats, if everyone will be ready for it and not just think otherwise about this protest. And I know for sure that dis petrol stations owners are in support of not letting the electricity of dis country work. So please everyone let us be positive about it and if it can be done in other states as well not just LAGOS, we need to let them know that we all are in need of this electricity not just LAGOS alone. PLEASE PLEASE and PLEASE everyone SUPPORT this PROTEST. IT WILL WORK OUT FOR ALL OF US I'M SURE OF IT.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jul 28, 2009
grin
lmao! @ Topic
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by sley4life(m): 11:47pm On Jul 28, 2009
Our leaders should be reshuffled. Let the Young men be put to handle this country. Without revolution nigeria will remain worse,
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by kosovo(m): 11:52pm On Jul 28, 2009
Our leaders should be reshuffled. Let the Young men be put to handle this country. Without revolution nigeria will remain worse,
the Islamic revolution?
LET THE RANTS CONTINUE!
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 11:58pm On Jul 28, 2009
sley4life:

The same youths that are majorly busy looking for ways to 419 the next man?? ugh!!
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by larez(m): 12:00am On Jul 29, 2009
I want to commend all those that have taken up the issue, and willing to get out there and do something. I am with you 100%. We need to also remember that the Cabal that we speak about surround us as well. Their agents are also active in trying to derail this thing.  There are many bastards who live off the blood of the common Nigerian, who would not like to see this work. Ignore them and let them all go to HELL. Also there are the pessimists who do nothing and achieve nothing. It is better for one to know that they have tried, even if they fail, than someone who never gets off their butt to do anything. Thanks to all those ready to move this thing forward. God will guide you and make it successful. I am with you all the way. Just let me know what I need to do.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by cvibe: 2:41am On Jul 29, 2009
Supported
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Okenku1(m): 4:22am On Jul 29, 2009
chiyo:

"Hilarious solution to PCHN problem" on the front page?
why Seun?  why not just don't put it on the front page AT ALL rather than post it there to ridicule it with your biased caption?
why are you trying to sway people's opinions of the march before they actually get to read the topic? WHY? 

1.I never claimed the rally to be a one end all solution to the problem. but i see it as a very positive step in achieving the solution.
2. your adjective was not invited and i'll rather not have the topic at all than have it twisted into something else.

well i guess it's your website and your monopoly. but i do not think it's fair what you did.

And we have the effrontery  to accuse leaders of nepotism and dictatorship, when in our own little kingdoms we rule like we are gods.
Does anyone think Seun (the god of nairaland) will allow criticism of him on this forum?
Instead of just posting his criticism (which was rubbish by the way), he goes ahead to manipulate Chiyo's title
I saw all the praise singers on your birthday,  don't let it get to your head man. You are as mere a mortal as we all are. Go ask Abacha.
If you close my account based on this criticism, you would have just proved me right.
Watch your back dude, pride goes before a fall.
I rest my case. Now back to that wonderful million march idea!
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by dreeldee: 4:45am On Jul 29, 2009
I read through this thread with the poster own headline and not until i signed in later did i realized the thread title had been changed. If this was done by Seun then that's really bleeped up (Sorry i can't think of anything to explain that action). If you got this much of a power and you cant use it for something positive other than discourage somebody's own believe about to be put into action then you should rethink. If people wanna do something positive, encourage them, and if you don't believe in their ideology, then sit back and relax rather than use your own power to discourage meaningful moves like this. If the headline was what you changed it into, i probably won't bother reading in details. And to others who don't believe this will work, pretend like it's one of those things politicians say and just ignore it rather than kill positive minded actions.
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by ofokasibe: 7:29am On Jul 29, 2009
FUNNY ENOUGH THE ONE MILLION MAN MARCH TO YARADUAS BEDROOM WILL SPEAK VOLUME , THE WHOLE WORLD WILL SEE IT , THE MEDIA CNN , BBC ETC AND THE ASO ROCK IDIOTS WILL BE FORCED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT
WE ARE TIRED OF SLOW IRRESPONSIBLE GOVERNMENTS , YARADUA MUST BE VOTED OUT !NEXT YEAR
THATS WHY YOU GUYS HAVE TO VOTE FOR CHRIS OKOTIE OR PAT UTOMI , YOUNG BRAINS WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO OFFER, NOT THIS OLD MEN WITH OVERGROWN POT BELLIES,! YARADUA MUST BE VOTED OUT ,, WE ARE VOTING FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN GIVE US SIMPLE LIGHT! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by Tonynwosa: 7:31am On Jul 29, 2009
It'll be nice to hold some kind of in house talk first ,so whoever is putting this together should fix a date and time where we can talk abt this cos pple will continue to frustrate this here, i'm in all the way
Re: 1 Million March Protest Against Power Failure (phcn) In Nigeria by SkyBlue1: 7:37am On Jul 29, 2009
ofokasibe:

FUNNY ENOUGH THE ONE MILLION MAN MARCH TO YARADUAS BEDROOM WILL SPEAK VOLUME , THE WHOLE WORLD WILL SEE IT , THE MEDIA CNN , BBC ETC AND THE ASO ROCK IDIOTS WILL BE FORCED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT
WE ARE TIRED OF SLOW IRRESPONSIBLE GOVERNMENTS , YARADUA MUST BE VOTED OUT !NEXT YEAR
THATS WHY YOU GUYS HAVE TO VOTE FOR CHRIS OKOTIE OR PAT UTOMI , YOUNG BRAINS WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO OFFER, NOT THIS OLD MEN WITH OVERGROWN POT BELLIES,! YARADUA MUST BE VOTED OUT ,, WE ARE VOTING FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN GIVE US SIMPLE LIGHT! grin grin grin grin grin

I don't want to derail the thread but honestly the part I highlighted in bold is something that needs to be addressed and work has to start going in now. I really believe this is an opportunity we cannot afford to let pass us by. I don't want to be so arrogant as to tell people who or who not to vote for, but if anything, using discernment based on idealogies, debates presented by candidates, etc, we need to pick one or two people to push towards the limelight and back it up with a push for electoral reform. I really now believe at this point that if Yar Adua is allowed to continue he will be the utter undoing of the country and in no peaceful way I might add. Niger Delta issue, Boku Haram and it seems he has not been able to do anything with regards to anything. 2011 is not so far if you think about it, the ball has to be put in motion. It would be hard work but think of the alternative. Can the country survive 4 more years of Yar Adua?

With regards to the march, all I can advice is that you have a clear agenda and be more specific about what you actually want achieved.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Hausa-fulani Have Ruined FRCN - Acting DG, Samson Shaibu / Alleged 19.2bn Fraud: Court Dismisses Charge Against Sylva / Nigerian Military Ranks And Their Symbols

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.