Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,429 members, 7,815,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:26 PM

Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone (121685 Views)

Attention: Senior Engineers/ Supervisors/ Managers/ HR Reps / Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training / Download Free Petroleum Reservoir Simulation Software (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by okeyz(m): 4:35pm On Oct 28, 2010
^^^^^^^ at kengali,
wht you shud do is write to the school and inquire from them,from my experience with clausthal, i think u will be mandated to do one month german immersion course before u can proceed for the program in Germany, but this is not a prerequisite as the program is been taught in english, the essence is to help you interact with the indigenes who might not be predispose to english.
clausthal is vey reputable in terms global recognition as their teaching is based on 70% research work with service coys like slb,baker hughes,kca deutag ,halliburton,etc, and after you finish your program i think you will have to do an internship in one of these oil coys that have a research patnership with clausthal

All in all the graduands from the school are highly sought after and 90 % get jobs as drilling supervisors after school, although i was not opportuned to attend the school due to some personal reasons but i spoke at lenght with one of their alumnus during a training section at NPDC benin.
take the chance u will not regret it ,their fees are kinda low(free even) cos the money u will remit to the bank acct in Germany will be for ur upkeeps and books.

its even cheap at around 8000 euros, believ thats the best sure way to get into germany with a sure job cos germany is short of engineers that migrated to the UK thru this HSMP scheme, so take the chance , but if u still feel that herriot wyatt and rgu is wat u want then u have to save like 7 milla to get going, their drilling engineering school fees no be beans!

As for hungary their teaching mode is in english, u dont have to learn hungary and 2 million naira is enuff for u to do the course although i dont really know much abt them cos i didnt interacty with dem much.

u can also try austria, there is a petroleum engineering school there i think university of leoban or so if am correct, their fees too is ok and the teaching is qualitative and they have a research program with heriot wyatt, besids they too r looking for skilled immigrant too!, i know cos they came to unilag some times 4 yrs back to woo student to come to austria, even getting u married to one of their daughters was part of the package !!! grin,

so take the chance drilling engineering is a favorable and rewarding career wink
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 12:51am On Oct 30, 2010
Thanks man,
I will definitely take the chance as well as checkout the Austria options.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 2:40pm On Oct 30, 2010
cool
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 3:09pm On Oct 30, 2010
where did my post go

it was so long cry
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 3:21pm On Oct 30, 2010
Hello guys,

Very lovely thread.

Pls I need advice from anyone here as this affects my future and my family.

I studied geology and graduated in 2006. I dont have any experience in Geology but I have worked mainly on Engineering Design projects as a support staff. Of recent I have been thinking deeply of what to do with my life. I am interested in working in the Oil and Gas sector.

A friend advised me to go to the Maritme Drilling School in Canada and undertake the Premployment Floorman (Rough neck training) that will include the following:

Pre-Employment Floorman (Roughneck)
(IADC) WellCAP® Well Control Accreditation Introductory Level Drilling, Workover and Completions
(IADC) HSE Rig Pass® Accreditation (Service Contractor Orientation) with offshore endorsement
Hoisting & Rigging Safety
Fall Protection & Scaffolding
Basic Fire Safety
Confined Space Entry
Enform (PITS) H2S Alive® or Awareness
Fork Lift Operator
Standard First Aid & CPR
WHMIS or HAZMAT:
(OH&S) Occupational Health & Safety

The 20 day course of instruction in Pre Employment Floorman (Roughneck) Training will consist of drilling programs, hands-on rig training and industry safety programs. Life skills and job readiness will also be included during the program.

In all, It would cost about CDN $6,000. I am willing and prepared to take the course.

But I need to be sure of the following.

1) Does it make sense? would it help? Can I be sure of employment after?? even if it means starting from the lowest rank.
2) Do you have women working on the rig?? or is it a rare occurence??
3) I am married with a son, my hubby says he doesnt mind but is it really worth it?

Currently, I dont feel as if I have a career and I need to take drastic step. I am still quite young
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 9:43am On Oct 31, 2010
aysometin:

Hello guys,

Very lovely thread.

Pls I need advice from anyone here as this affects my future and my family.

I studied geology and graduated in 2006. I dont have any experience in Geology but I have worked mainly on Engineering Design projects as a support staff. Of recent I have been thinking deeply of what to do with my life. I am interested in working in the Oil and Gas sector.

A friend advised me to go to the Maritme Drilling School in Canada and undertake the Premployment Floorman (Rough neck training) that will include the following:

Pre-Employment Floorman (Roughneck)
(IADC) WellCAP® Well Control Accreditation Introductory Level Drilling, Workover and Completions
(IADC) HSE Rig Pass® Accreditation (Service Contractor Orientation) with offshore endorsement
Hoisting & Rigging Safety
Fall Protection & Scaffolding
Basic Fire Safety
Confined Space Entry
Enform (PITS) H2S Alive® or Awareness
Fork Lift Operator
Standard First Aid & CPR
WHMIS or HAZMAT:
(OH&S) Occupational Health & Safety

The 20 day course of instruction in Pre Employment Floorman (Roughneck) Training will consist of drilling programs, hands-on rig training and industry safety programs. Life skills and job readiness will also be included during the program.

In all, It would cost about CDN $6,000. I am willing and prepared to take the course.

But I need to be sure of the following.

1) Does it make sense? would it help? Can I be sure of employment after?? even if it means starting from the lowest rank.
2) Do you have women working on the rig?? or is it a rare occurence??
3) I am married with a son, my hubby says he doesnt mind but is it really worth it?

Currently, I dont feel as if I have a career and I need to take drastic step. I am still quite young
Here is your post,
I certainly have not heard of a lady on the rig as a floorman or roughneck. I would not let my wife do such a physical work either. I think you should think of developing your self in the line of accreage evaluation, reading and interpreting siesmic etc. don't know what the area is called. I believe thats a hot area too. Possibly more skilled than rig work. Go do a master or something.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 5:03pm On Oct 31, 2010
Why d hell are you guys deleting angry angry angry angry angry angry posts?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 5:11pm On Oct 31, 2010
cool
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 5:13pm On Oct 31, 2010
I have posted it 3 times and someone keeps removing it.

Quite sad because it is really important. sad

I am out
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by AjanleKoko: 10:13am On Nov 01, 2010
Guys,
It's the Spambot. It's automated.
Stop copying and pasting, or writing really long posts, or posting stuff that looks like ads.
@aysometin, try to post again, keeping what I wrote above in mind. And try to look at the forum Rules and Regulations.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 3:35pm On Nov 01, 2010
Ok @ Ajanlekoko, it was quite long.

I"ll repost
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 3:40pm On Nov 01, 2010
cool
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by jaybee3(m): 3:50pm On Nov 01, 2010
No point re-posting as it will be tagged as SPAM again.
I doubt you'd be able to get into Oil and Gas engineering with a background in Geology.
Where did you do your first degree?
You can always do a MSc in drilling and hope for the best.

PS: You can get into Oil industry doing GIS
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 3:53pm On Nov 01, 2010
cool
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 3:56pm On Nov 01, 2010
Hey jaybee,

Infact I reposted like 4 times and it was removed. I had to re type and remove some things I copied.

Thanks for your advice.

Do you think I should do that course in Canada and maybe do like a masters in Drilling?
My Bsc was from OSU (2.2), not too great in my opinion.

I never really liked GIS in school thats why I have never thought about it. I can do some research on it though.
Geology jobs seem to be very scarce
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by jaybee3(m): 3:58pm On Nov 01, 2010
Sista please go for your Masters as that's the best route into you being able to actualise your dream.
Not sure about drilling for a woman though?
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 3:58pm On Nov 01, 2010
Even after re-typing, it was removed
What an over-zealous spam boot. embarassed
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 3:59pm On Nov 01, 2010
jay bee:

Sista please go for your Masters as that's the best route into you being able to actualise your dream.
Not sure about drilling for a woman though?

Masters in what embarassed

Lol, I hope I don't sound stupid

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by jaybee3(m): 4:05pm On Nov 01, 2010
aysometin:

Hey jaybee,

Infact I reposted like 4 times and it was removed. I had to re type and remove some things I copied.
The mod on this section will help you report it so it can be untagged

aysometin:

Thanks for your advice.
You are welcome

aysometin:

Do you think I should do that course in Canada and maybe do like a masters in Drilling?
My Bsc was from OSU (2.2), not too great in my opinion.
Training is only good for someone with a drilling background but zero experience. What you need is a Masters degree

aysometin:

I never really liked GIS in school thats why I have never thought about it. I can do some research on it though.
Geology jobs seem to be very scarce
Loads of jobs in it if you search well.
Just make sure you study at a good uni
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 01, 2010
Thanks bro wink
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by jaybee3(m): 4:10pm On Nov 01, 2010
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 5:23pm On Nov 01, 2010
I have issues with just going to do Masters. I am thinking of starting all over again. I have friends that made first class and 2.1. they have come for masters here in the UK and yet to get a job (no exaggerations).

Maybe I don't know, but I think a degree from Nigeria won't help during job search. Employers do everything to weed out Candidates, considering the fact that other applicants might have UK degrees.

I am so confused embarassed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by jaybee3(m): 5:35pm On Nov 01, 2010
aysometin:

I have issues with just going to do Masters. I am thinking of starting all over again. I have friends that made first class and 2.1. they have come for masters here in the UK and yet to get a job (no exaggerations).

Maybe I don't know, but I think a degree from Nigeria won't help during job search. Employers do everything to weed out Candidates, considering the fact that other applicants might have UK degrees.

I am so confused embarassed
Why start all over again waste quality time then be in the same boat? Getting a UK undergraduate degree won't give u an edge in the ever shrinking job opportunities.

Don't be negative AY.
What's your ideal job?

Are you restricting yourself in terms of the industry you are looking at?
How flexible are you in terms of relocation?
How good are your interview skills?
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 7:48pm On Nov 01, 2010
@ Jaybee,

Can I email you?? wink
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by jaybee3(m): 7:59pm On Nov 01, 2010
^^^^
Sent you a PM
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by tendernexx(m): 6:11am On Nov 06, 2010
hi doc
i've been tryin to reach someone in dis field so as to be fully acquainted wit d know-hows of the oil industry.
i studied mechanical enginering and graduated wit a upper credit from a fed polytechnic, due to non availability of jobs, i took to banking in hopes of gettin somthg to do, but early on in d yr, due to d bankin issue arnd d nation, i was dropped n now i need to get bak on my feetbut wil lik it in drillin
i'm aware dt der r certain cert courses i can run in order to achiev my drm bt d challenge here is which one and where?
can u possibly guide me d steps of gettin a job in d field? mayb in ur firm! and/or d cert courses to aid my job search cos ryt now, its gettin tiring and i'm usin dis idleness of mine to run my postgraduate bt i dnt seem to fit in to my schedules ryt now cos ifeel bored n very unuseful to myself sittin at home.
pls, i nid urgent help gettin a job.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by 9ijaMan: 5:06pm On Nov 22, 2010
@aysometin,
I have seen ladies starting out as floor-men in my early days working offshore 9ja. My candid opinion however, is that such jobs are not meant for the females. If you are really kin on working as an engineer in the industry, you may have to start with an MSc as most have adviced, however, the work environment in the industry today is not favorable towards individuals with little or no work experience. Most companies want experienced hands. That being said, you may still be able to secure a job as a DE if you really set your mind at it and count on some luck as well.
My advice for you however, will be to return back to the classroom to further your studies along the lines of Geology or very related fields. By this I mean you stick yo the academic line and go all the way for a PhD.
A second option will be an MSc. in reservoir engineering, but again you will need some luck to secure a good job, as your inexperience may still prove to be a stumbling block.
E&P Professional courses (such as the ones you mentioned in your post) are cheaper (and sometimes wider) when compared to a full MSc degree, but you get full value for the money only if you have some years of field experience to build upon.
That's just my two cents!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by debosky(m): 5:12pm On Nov 22, 2010
Do a geology or GIS masters. . .I don't think going for a rough neck job as a woman with a family is ideal.

Like Jaybee asked, it really depends on what your interests/personal traits are. Simply trying to become a roughneck on a drilling floor may not satisfy you.

Your hubby might say 'I don't mind' now, but what happens if you have to spend 6 months on a drill ship offshore Angola? What about your son?Look for what fits most closely with your personal abilities, your family situation and what you can afford.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by oseiwe(m): 11:27am On Nov 30, 2010
@aysometin, i have never seen a woman at d rig! Maybe u wld work on land rigs n in d labs there. U don do d real practical? U go tear race!
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by 9ijaMan: 4:50pm On Nov 30, 2010
oseiwe:

@aysometin, i have never seen a woman at d rig! Maybe u wld work on land rigs n in d labs there. U don do d real practical? U go tear race!
Chief, women are abound on rigs even in 9ja. I've met at least two ladies who started out on the accelerated program as roustabouts with TransOcean on one of the drill ships (Deepwater Pathfinder) some years back when the rig was in 9ja. I have also worked with and trained a number of them back in the days when I used to work with a major service company. However, only a few were married but none had kids.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 8:32pm On Nov 30, 2010
Hello guys,

Thanks for all the respones, I only just saw them.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by cescky(m): 11:44am On Dec 01, 2010
hi, pls i need this info asap,

what does a radio rig operator do?

what qualifications do i need?

where in nigeria can i get them?

any house memebr a rig operator? need ur advice asap pls.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply)

How Much Do Bank Workers Earn? / How To Improve On Your Career With I.T / COREN Registration Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.