Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,551 members, 7,816,339 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone - Career (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone (121707 Views)

Attention: Senior Engineers/ Supervisors/ Managers/ HR Reps / Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training / Download Free Petroleum Reservoir Simulation Software (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 10:12am On Jun 13, 2013
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 9:35am On Jun 29, 2013
good day all. please experienced members in the drilling field should enlighten us on their experiences. am so much interested in the drilling career and few months from now i believe i should be on a rig assisting d driller. am experienced and knowledgeable with a demonstration land rig in my school( PTI effurun) but i need more field experiences from professional drillers here. please i need mentors from this forum. before now i opened some peoples profile here on nairaland but couldn't get their contact email address, BB pin or phone number............ please drillers increase d RPM here(lol)
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 9:49am On Jun 29, 2013
please contact me www.facebook.com/kentorito
email: tomkenyblack@gmail.com
BBM pin: 25c5a4f6
i will love to hear from all. @dr ferlie, @27naira, @xyoung, and as many people that love drilling like i do.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Saintigk(m): 10:53pm On Jul 15, 2013
I'm a chemical Engineer, what do i need to study to take d role of reservoir engineer. thanks
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by abbeyleee2013(m): 4:19pm On Jul 19, 2013
Nice idea for petroleum folks,I will also love 2 start discussing on drilling also bt for now I don't know if anyone cld help me secure any oil$gas job, am a graduate of petroleum engineering.thanks in anticipation my e-mail is abbeyleee2013@gmail.com.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by kingsmecca(m): 5:48pm On Jul 22, 2013
Hello SPE!!! Please I need advice frm you guys, I'm an undergraduate in the department of Gas Engineering (400 level), I'm in a dilemma....dnt really know the elective course to choose btw Pipeline Technology and Offshore Technology by next year (final yr) that will give me an edge after graduation. Beside I love Drilling.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by devmantic(m): 12:50pm On Jul 26, 2013
kingsmecca: Hello SPE!!! Please I need advice frm you guys, I'm an undergraduate in the department of Gas Engineering (400 level), I'm in a dilemma....dnt really know the elective course to choose btw Pipeline Technology and Offshore Technology by next year (final yr) that will give me an edge after graduation. Beside I love Drilling.

Well, If you intend to major in piping engineering for masters or become a piping engineer, then you can opt for pipeline technology. I believe pipeline technology studies entails grasping important or developing technologies crucial to the successful construction of pipelines while ensuring safety and efficiency of pipeline operations.

On the other hand, Offshore Technology studies will undoubted keep you within the framework of the upstream Oil and Gas activity (I presume Gas in "department of Gas Engineering" is actually Natural Gas). Furthermore, the opportunity to delve into specific upstream disciplines like subsea engineering, pipeline engineering e.t.c which is a rewarding career prospect in this era of "uneasy-to-extract oil" becomes more likely. Unfortunately, time constraints will prevent me from elaborating further on this issue. My advice to you is to opt for Offshore Technology but then it is where your heart lies that you truly enjoy contentment wink.

The choice is up to u.. smiley
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by macjireh: 11:10am On Jul 27, 2013
Gud day my fellow engineers in da house,lemme say here dat ds thread is da bomb.
i am a mech engrg graduate,done wit NYSC....from wat i see here drilling is a an area where a trainee can easily start&grow in experience..i want 2fuda my trainng but d money isnt available, so pls i need help 2start a career in O/G industry,if i can get a job as a roustabout i'll be glad @least 2start wit &grow from there,jobs @ Delta,PH,Bayelsa or Lagos wil be Ok,pls contact me
tejiriu@gmail.com
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by joeukeche(m): 2:14pm On Jul 29, 2013
Good day to everybody in the house. Am a young graduate of Geophysics from FUTO with 2:2 division and have the passion to build my career in the oil industry. While I await for that dream to come through, I would like anybody in the house who knows any were in Abuja were I can get training on relevant petroleum soft-wares as they are applied in the industry to kindly let me know plsssss.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by SenatorIyke: 9:58pm On Aug 03, 2013
oboy u dey abj? I don't think there is any place in Abj whr u can get an oil and gas training.. maybe u should start by getting a job in a borehole drilling company here in Abj, and get some experience in drilling since its the same method of drilling only that in oil drilling you go more meters than water.. Beside have u guys applied for the Total Recruitment. . trainee Operator. if no pls do, No Experience is required.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by SenatorIyke: 6:48pm On Aug 04, 2013
Guy Where U dey make I see you make we yarn. or better still mail me on what to do and terms and condition of the job.. let me begin to process it sharp sharp. my E mail is ikechukwuosuafor@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Alcheringa(m): 7:04pm On Aug 05, 2013
yankeemaster:

For dubai 2years employment visa,plus accomodation ,transtortation and feeding all free no payment on start add me::2655643D
pls carry me along my broda. I'm very interested,
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by ifowey(f): 10:32pm On Aug 05, 2013
You guys have been really educating! I have a B.sc in geology and would love to go for a master degree in occupational health and safety at the institute of petroleum studies at ph. The problem now is i left skul with a 2.2(3.49), and Ips doesn't allow a 2.2 for masters although they run a pgd in petroleum technology. I'm thinking of switching to petroleum technology even though i dnt know what it is about. Is this a wise move?
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by yinkeys(m): 11:37pm On Aug 05, 2013
Dr Ferlie: Abbeydot,

I have been to land rig, semi-submersible rig and a drill ship during the course of my career.

My first challenge ever was casing design for an HTHP, sour gas and multilateral wells in the desert of saudi arabia. Getting the casing strings and liners that meet the expected burst, colapse and tensile load ( and still within AFE ) was tough.

I am currently engaged in well planning and design phase for for deepwater ( 3500 ft - 5500ft of water ) project offshore Nigeria.
goodday; my project is on well planning for a field in the Niger delta. I really wud like 2 ask if u can b of help 2 me
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by yinkeys(m): 11:46pm On Aug 05, 2013
blackky187: Hi all,presently i work as a petroleum engineer with a marginal field operator in Nigeria.Planning to pitch a full career in drilling engineering and right now involved in the planning of drilling 3 wells of an average of 13000 ft and a re-entry of one well.Quite a challenging exercise for a newbie in drilling
I need help with my project(well planning for a field in the Niger delta). Pls kindly recommend textbooks I cud buy or materials that cud make my research easier
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 1:25am On Aug 06, 2013
Imanuelle: Hello nairalanders,  Pls į̸̸̨ was given this assignment,  Nd į̸̸̨ nid to find my way around it,
į̸̸̨ will be really greatful if u̶̲̥̅̊ can help me as it will go a long way to helping my career.

Assignment instructn,
The asset management team responsible for petros corporation of the tremonT onshore field which  is a land fielD has recently completed an appraisal of the 6th zone reservoir,  And is noW preparing a development programme, 

The team has given u̶̲̥̅̊ a proposed bottom hole location (subsurface target) hole location for d̶̲̥̅̊ first development well adams 8. Target location is į̸̸̨♌ block d4, approximately0.5km (1640ft) from the property boundary between petros and apex oil and gas company,

The discovery Well for the 6th zone anTiclinE was apex's copley1, 4 additional wells, copley3, adams4, adams6, and adams 7have either tested orare currently producing commercial qttys of oil,

Three others (copley2, stuart 1 and adams5 ) were dRilled outside of the structure boundaries, and subsequently abandoned,

Task; 
EStablish the drilling objectives for this well į̸̸̨♌ keeping with the overall reservoir management strategy, and to identify some of the key issues to be addressed į̸̸̨♌ the well planning process,  At a measured depth of 9000ft,

Wow....
I remember when I was learning. This was a really hard task then.
Now very simple.
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by yinkeys(m): 1:43am On Aug 06, 2013
Bro this looks hard tho
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Eumaca: 2:29pm On Aug 24, 2013
Pls, what certifications do I need as a Completion Engineer. I'm currently working as one now but need what will boost my relevance. Thanks
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by 27naira(m): 9:06am On Aug 25, 2013
I may come off a little harsh but this particular thread has lost its primary objective.

It all started with the moderators merging subsea, mud, reservoir, petroleum, drilling engineering etc together. There are clear and distinct differences in these disciplines and merging them together creates a bogus thread.

I was also of the opinion that this thread was intended by Dr Felie to discuss events, experiences and challenge in the field of drilling engineering, but it has become a thread for posting college questions, more questions and many more questions. This is not totally wrong in itself but in the presentation. It is not my intention to be hard on young school leavers and people with the intention to join the oil and gas industries but coming here to ask about courses and certifications that will boost your employability isn't the purpose this thread was created for. All you need to get into the system is a good college degree and a heavy dose of persistence and resilience. Certifications (no matter the cost) will not supersede experience. You've got to count 1 before 2 isn't it? So get off NL, get on to LinkedIn, do a diligent search on the opportunities available in the industry, get to connect with the people that matter and then sale yourself!

I will like us to get back to the purpose why this thread was created. Lets talk about our different experiences in the industry, lets talk about the recent technologies, lets talk about incidences and why they happened. This way everybody will learn and appreciate this thread once more.

Recently, we had an incident in my rig after running and cementing the 13-3/8 Casing and subsequent drilling with 12-1/4 bit. Prior to this, before cementing the 13-3/8, we had run out of cement onboard our jack up and had to wait on boat for about 48 hrs to get cement.. At the end of the day, we ended up cementing less that the calculated volume but we did not consider this critical. Now, will drilling the 12-1/4 hole, (mind you, this is a HPHT well), we noticed that the rubber seal connecting the bell nipple to the flow line was compressed upwardly and has started to leak Oil based mud. The situation was alittle scary but very frustrating because we were drilling through reactive shale and cant stop drilling! To make matters worse, someone observed that the base plate of the Casing head housing for the 13-3/8 casing has moved up by about 3 inches off the 36 inch conductor pipe and we were talking formation water through the annulus!

After much consultation with the office folks, we stopped drilling but continued circulation will reciprocating the drill string. (reciprocating means moving the string up and down smiley), to mitigate the leak from the damaged seal, we circulated through the choke line and maintained the mud level below bell nipple (Smart!), (To ensure that we don't wear the choke manifold, we had to first of all circulate our shakers cleans of cuttings).

To cut the long story short, It was later concluded that the 13-3/8 casing moved up due to thermal expansion, pushing the BOP and bell nipple and squeezing that damaging the rubber seal on top of the bell nipple. This might be related to the fact that "insufficient" cement job was done initially.
To correct this, a top cement job was done by injecting cement between the annulus of the 13-3/8 and conductor pipe casings.

Lessons learned: Never ever, keep your eyes off the wellhead. Good housing keep is very necessary to identify leaks which might be critical. Never compromise on cement jobs. HPHT wells can cause thermal expansion of tubulars... you shouldnt get scared.

smiley

2 Likes

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by idypower: 1:44pm On Aug 25, 2013
Hello Senator Iyke

I have been in the telecom industry for 6 years .

I wish to switch my career path to the Oil & Gas Industry.

I have Admission to study Oil & Gas Engineering @ a Uk University (RGU)

Pls, do you think studying for M.Sc I Oil & Gas Engr can assist me have a seamless transition from Telecoms to The Oil & Gas Industry ??
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by neyofather(m): 2:28pm On Aug 25, 2013
Pls help I need a job: I am a Master graduate of Exploration Geophysics from The Federal University of Technology Akure.I am proficient in the use of geophysical software like Petrel,SMT kingdom suite,and Opendtect to process and interpret 3D seismic data.Pls any help from this forum will be highly appreciated.thanks and God bless
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by caesare: 4:11pm On Aug 25, 2013
i am an undergraduate of Gas Engineering due to graduate this year pending on the ASUU strike,and i am thinking of registering for short courses and certifications by jan next year while waitng for NYSC(which will begin by november or june if i am lucky) but dont really know which one is best and which is a hot demand in the industry...even though i plan to go for a masters degree abroad after that(NYSC) in either gas engineering or drilling...pls can i get some advise....thanks
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by 27naira(m): 12:45pm On Sep 02, 2013
caesare: i am an undergraduate of Gas Engineering due to graduate this year pending on the ASUU strike,and i am thinking of registering for short courses and certifications by jan next year while waitng for NYSC(which will begin by november or june if i am lucky) but dont really know which one is best and which is a hot demand in the industry...even though i plan to go for a masters degree abroad after that(NYSC) in either gas engineering or drilling...pls can i get some advise....thanks

you can check out schlumberger NExT programs. They have a lot of training courses in virtually all aspect of petroleum Engineering and these courses are respected anywhere in the world. However, they're pricey
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by kika41(m): 7:24am On Sep 03, 2013
Hello,plz I just got admission to study petroleum engineering in unilag nd I just heard dat uniport is the best..hw true is that? Nd also plz give me saome advice as a petroleum engineer
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by 27naira(m): 8:16am On Sep 03, 2013
kika41: Hello,plz I just got admission to study petroleum engineering in unilag nd I just heard dat uniport is the best..hw true is that? Nd also plz give me saome advice as a petroleum engineer

The only advise you need now is to settle down and study hard. work hard and make good grades. That will help your career in the future
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Ujawissy: 8:50am On Sep 03, 2013
i'm a civil engineering undergraduate,pls do u think i can fix in into oil and gas industry? and how can i go about it after my degree
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by kika41(m): 11:59am On Sep 03, 2013
@27naira,am very grateful 4 d advice and does a 1st class degree guarantee a good job and salary
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by 27naira(m): 12:35pm On Sep 03, 2013
kika41: @27naira,am very grateful 4 d advice and does a 1st class degree guarantee a good job and salary
A first class puts you on top of the cadre as a preferred candidate for employment by top recruiters. It also affords you the opportunity to go for your Phd with possibility of grants and scholarships. So you should target to make first class. smiley

Ujawissy: i'm a civil engineering undergraduate,pls do u think i can fix in into oil and gas industry? and how can i go about it after my degree

First of all, what is your passion? what do you want to do? are you simply motivated by prospects of good salary? why do you want to join the oil and gas sector? i'll advise you to search your heart and come up with what you really want for yourself. Money is the worst career driver and does not guarantee job satisfaction. I've seen people quit the oil and gas (despite the money) in search of a more fulfilling career.
There are departments in the oil and gas industry that recruit civil engineers, however, i don't know the scope of their involvement in the field other than supervision.

1 Like

Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by kika41(m): 3:08pm On Sep 03, 2013
@27naira,1nce again am grateful...m so another thing I'll like to know is dat:does petroleum engineering requires a greater idea of mathematics or physics...and plz is the course a creative and does it require good thinking? Or its just about cramming facts...?
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Ujawissy: 9:52pm On Sep 03, 2013
@27naira I'm very grateful for ur reply,i must say i have a strong passion for the o and g field. do u think going for master in either subsea or offshore engineering will give me an edge?
Re: Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone by Nobody: 10:45pm On Sep 03, 2013
Hi house am a graduaute of physics , with a 2:2 pls I will like to knw how I can further my career in the oil n gas sector

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (29) (Reply)

How Much Do Bank Workers Earn? / How To Improve On Your Career With I.T / COREN Registration Thread

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.