Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,908 members, 7,814,070 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:26 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4423) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11635958 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4420) (4421) (4422) (4423) (4424) (4425) (4426) ... (16139) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:01am On Jul 18, 2018
tbaba1234:

In Importance, probably more important.
The difficulty level required to execute the task was not the same. Only very few players would have scored that goal Ighalo missed under the same circumstance , that's the bitter truth.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:07am On Jul 18, 2018
goldfish80:

The difficulty level required to execute the task was not the same. Only very few players would have scored that goal Ighalo missed under the same circumstances , that's the bitter truth.

I feel he should have scored both goals. There was enough time to take an extra touch if necessary.

Anyway, water under the bridge..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 11:13am On Jul 18, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Compared to Ighalo Giroud was piss poor. Never completed a hold up play just heading balls to nowhere in particular. Not a single shot on target says a l.
Giroud's hold up play was better than Ighalo. There's a reason Deschamps scrapped the Dembele - Griezmann - Mbappe front 3. Griezmann plays well when Giroud starts

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 11:25am On Jul 18, 2018
goldfish80:

Rohr started getting it wrong in the Argentina game from the personnel he started the game with. Starting Iheanacho was a tactical suicide because the decision cost him valuable substitution slot, having reduced his subs to just 2 by bringing Ighalo on to rectify the error.

If Ighalo had started, Rohr would have had more tactical flexibility and the affirmation to sub him off in the 2nd half for a defensive midfielder to sure up the game. The reason Rohr was cut in a no man's land to bring on subs who will close the game out, was because he couldn't sub Ighalo out who was a sub himself. This was the reason he was helpless at the dugout, knowing Ighalo was one of his biggest players.
To be honest, I was never really convinced by that Iheanacho - Musa pairing. I felt Ighalo would compliment either one better it was just a choice of either picking Musa's searing pace or Iheanacho's clinical finishing. What helped us at the second half against Iceland was Etebo and Musa having a stormer. Nacho wasn't that great except for his set pieces.
Only way we play Nacho is with a target man or part of a fluid front 4
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:36am On Jul 18, 2018
tbaba1234:

Never said that

I respect your opinion because it's born from sincerity and objectivity.

Awoniyi is recovering from Injury and is in training.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:37am On Jul 18, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

I don't think a lot of them can even play football let alone know what they are talking about. They can say what they want but the template has been set in gold, Giroud is a world champion with 0 shots on target in 6 matches. Even Gabriel Jesus did not receive half of the flack Ighalo got and he had miss after miss no goals in 5 matches.
I just don't feel real fans should act like that because the players are human like us they can also make mistakes. I am just happy that the guy didn't allow all that rubbish to destroy his confidence. Who would want to play on a team that mistakes are not allowed? Nigeria is not Brazil or Germany!! We have no right to even think about asking for perfection.

Thank you
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:40am On Jul 18, 2018
tbaba1234:

Ighalo gets most criticism because he is the one that missed crucial chances. Yakubu had a great Nigeria career but many people can not forget his miss against south korea.

What is clear to me is that Nigeria needs new strikers. I hope Awoniyi, Sadiq, Dessers etc are given a chance. Ighalo should be gradually eased into international retirement.
Sir hope you remember Yekini miss against Italy, worst after Yakubu

Yekini and Yakubu miss were cleared cut chances that required a pregnant woman to score.

Do you see people criticising Yekini?NO and that miss was the saddest in Nigeria football history.

As you said good to see Awoniyi and Sadiq coming up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 11:40am On Jul 18, 2018
goldfish80:

The difficulty level required to execute the task was not the same. Only very few players would have scored that goal Ighalo missed under the same circumstances , that's the bitter truth.

Boss 4get,in as much as u and I dizzed iheanacho for a poor outing, even though ighalo was slightly better

I would still say dt ighalo shld av converted one of s two chances dt came to him, most especially d 2nd one,having said dt,let's look for another top 9 dt will slug it out with ighalo cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:41am On Jul 18, 2018
edi287:

Giroud's hold up play was better than Ighalo. There's a reason Deschamps scrapped the Dembele - Griezmann - Mbappe front 3. Griezmann plays well when Giroud starts

Name one ball that Giroud brought down on his chest and passed to his player? Dembele is not a striker so that was just an experiment.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:43am On Jul 18, 2018
edi287:

edi baba Giroud play tire me for WC o.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:44am On Jul 18, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

I think Osimhen is close to Orji. Might not have goals but he has notched a couple starts and I am sure he will get a look this year. He is closer to the Wolfsburg first XI than Orji is to Bolognas'.

Every new season will see new players in coming and behind that quest is a belief they don't have those players in the squad.

Depending on who they bring will reflect whether he Osimhen will get any chances. As for now he is simply a youth academy player.

Wolfsburg have been flirting with relegation for the past two seasons, and always just making it on the last hurdle.

That means this season they have to invest heavily or be relegated. Relegation could be a good thing for Osimhen as he may get more opportunities.

Otherwise he really needs to get a loan move, he is approaching 20 and is still stuck in youth football. That's not progression.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:44am On Jul 18, 2018
elyte89:

Boss 4get,in as much as u and I dizzed iheanacho for a poor outing, even though ighalo was slightly better

I would still say dt ighalo shld av converted one of s two chances dt came to him, most especially d 2nd one,having said dt,let's look for another top 9 dt will slug it out with ighalo cool

As for the second not so talked about chance Ighalo should have squared to Ndidi because he was in a very tough angle and the keeper made himself big. I personally was more angry at that one because he was selfish.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:45am On Jul 18, 2018
edi287:

This U20 is suppose to be our most exciting team. Why this Paul Aigbogun guy no Wan behave?

Hahahahahaha! He had better behave himself. By now, I expect him to call those foreign born players. Most especially, Midhat Bajric, Keanan Bennetts and Deji Beyreuther who have all openly indicated to play for Nigeria U20 and SE. While at that, he should also consider players that won the last U17. I think only Kingsley Michael and Samuel Chukweze are eligible to play for Nigeria U20 because they were born in 1999.

I hope Shawn Adewoye and Adam Idah are considered.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 11:46am On Jul 18, 2018
edi287:

To be honest, I was never really convinced by that Iheanacho - Musa pairing. I felt Ighalo would compliment either one better it was just a choice of either picking Musa's searing pace or Iheanacho's clinical finishing. What helped us at the second half against Iceland was Etebo and Musa having a stormer. Nacho wasn't that great except for his set pieces.
I don't know what would have happened had Rohr started Musa and Iwobi together against Argentina?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:46am On Jul 18, 2018
elyte89:

Apart from Obagoal.

We actually don't have a proven tested top quality forward player to play that role currently.

We even had Osimhen invited to the SE that shows our lack of options.

So who do we have

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:47am On Jul 18, 2018
elyte89:

Thank you.I will never blame Ighalo for first miss cos it's 50/50 but the second miss he messed up and should have done better.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:49am On Jul 18, 2018
edi287:

That's an assumption in bold proven to be not true.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:52am On Jul 18, 2018
forgiveness:

Hahahahahaha! He had better behave himself. By now, I expect him to call those foreign born players. Most especially, Midhat Bajric, Keanan Bennetts and Deji Beyreuther who have all openly indicated to play for Nigeria U20 and SE. While at that, he should also consider players that won the last U17. I think only Kingsley Michael and Samuel Chukweze are eligible to play for Nigeria U20 because they were born in 1999.

Can you show us where Bennets openly declared to rep Nigeria abi u dun start again? grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 11:53am On Jul 18, 2018
forgiveness:

We have quality u-20 players we can make use of. I hope we qualify for the world cup and Aigbogun doesn't pull a Nigerian coach on us.

Samuel Chukweze, Kingsley Michael, Orji should be notable additions from the last u-17 set. Added to them are the guys in Europe and the local lads here who are genuinely u-20s. Then we should be fine.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 11:56am On Jul 18, 2018
komekn:

Apart from Obagoal.

We actually don't have a proven tested top quality forward player to play that role currently.

We even had Osimhen invited to the SE that shows our lack of options.

So who do we have
sometimes I FEEL Osimhen would have performed better than both Ighalo and Iheanacho at the World Cup. How these two became passengers, I'm still finding hard to understand.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:58am On Jul 18, 2018
AIG07:
I don't know what would have happened had Rohr started Musa and Iwobi together against Argentina?
Yes you are right but Iwobi inconsistency is just the issue

Solid Iwobi would wreck any team but inconsistent Iwobi is an eye sore to watch.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 12:00pm On Jul 18, 2018
edi287:

Something similar also happened a few years ago with Nigeria. When we played Ideye and Emenike together they were unstoppable! But people complained about Ideye's lack of goals. The resulting pressure from the fans and media I believe led to Keshi dropping Ideye, and subsequently Emenike's goals dried up. AND NO ONE SAW THE LINK between Ideye's absence and Emenike's goal drought so we the knowledgeable fans proceeded to hound Emenike until he quit the team. We single handedly destroyed our AFCON winning strike force.

Clever aren't we?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 12:00pm On Jul 18, 2018
Kog45:
Thank you.I will never blame Ighalo for first miss cos it's 50/50 but the second miss he messed up and should have done better.

Dt 1st chance is well missed by proven strikers,most strikers miss such

I av only seen two strikers scoring such ,messi he scores dt very well

And surprisingly iheanacho too, I av seen him score in such a tight angle once b4,I don't knw if he can replicate such again sha cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:04pm On Jul 18, 2018
AIG07:
sometimes I FEEL Osimhen would have performed better than both Ighalo and Iheanacho at the World Cup. How these two became passengers, I'm still finding hard to understand.
I disagreed cos i watched him wella last season with Wolfsburg in few minutes appearances he made still a learner.

Hope to see Osimehn making the team regularly this season.

Let see how Awoniyi, Sadiq Umar,Olarewaju and him fare this coming season.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:10pm On Jul 18, 2018
elyte89:

Dt 1st chance is well missed by proven strikers,most strikers miss such

I av only seen two strikers scoring such ,messi he scores dt very well

And surprisingly iheanacho too, I av seen him score in such a tight angle once b4,I don't knw if he can replicate such again sha cool
Yes Iheanacho would have scored it but the issue is that Iheanacho would not have got those chances cos Ighalo worked for it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 12:10pm On Jul 18, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Name one ball that Giroud brought down on his chest and passed to his player? Dembele is not a striker so that was just an experiment.
Actually it was Grez that played as a 9. Go watch the game against Belgium again and see why Giroud is important. Did a lot of work off the ball. Something Ighalo did not offer at the WC enough
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 12:12pm On Jul 18, 2018
komekn:

That's an assumption in bold proven to be not true.
Iheanacho is the best finisher we have. Unfortunately that seems to be the only thing he offers presently. His goals for Leicester shows this
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 12:13pm On Jul 18, 2018
AIG07:
We'll never know. It probably would've worked out. Plus Iwobi is better on the ball than Nacho and would've relished playing central
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:14pm On Jul 18, 2018
wayodude:

Something similar also happened a few years ago with Nigeria. When we played Ideye and Emenike together they were unstoppable! But people complained about Ideye's lack of goals. The resulting pressure from the fans and media I believe led to Keshi dropping Ideye, and subsequently Emenike's goals dried up. AND NO ONE SAW THE LINK between Ideye's absence and Emenike's goal drought so we the knowledgeable fans proceeded to hound Emenike until he quit the team. We single handedly destroyed our AFCON winning strike force.

Clever aren't we?
God bless you Sir.Pls go and watch Zambia/Nigeria in Ndola and see Ideye and Iheanacho combinations but really surprised to see Ideye shut out of national team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 12:15pm On Jul 18, 2018
Kog45:
edi baba Giroud play tire me for WC o.
Loool yeah I'm surprised he didn't score at all. Though he didn't have Thomas Lemar and Dembele to put in crosses for him. It was all about Griezmann and Mbappe.
Nothing eye catching for him

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 12:20pm On Jul 18, 2018
wayodude:

Clever aren't we?
I agree. Ideye was a very important player for us and it was unfortunate he got dropped.
I'm a fan of Ighalo when he's on form. He's mobile, skillful and has great off the ball movement.
To be honest, he's never been much of a target man. At Watford, Deeney was the target man.
Fact is he just didn't do well at the WC and the friendlies. The second chance he missed was simply inexcusable especially for a guy like him. Everyone misses once in a while but that was just crazy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 12:22pm On Jul 18, 2018
Kog45:
God bless you Sir.Pls go and watch Zambia/Nigeria in Ndola and see Ideye and Iheanacho combinations but really surprised to see Ideye shut out of national team.
Ideye is a better target man than Ighalo. Infact both can play together.

(1) (2) (3) ... (4420) (4421) (4422) (4423) (4424) (4425) (4426) ... (16139) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: mkrest(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.