Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,913 members, 7,814,081 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:02 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4424) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11636104 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4421) (4422) (4423) (4424) (4425) (4426) (4427) ... (16139) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:31pm On Jul 18, 2018
edi287:

Ideye is a better target man than Ighalo. Infact both can play together.
Ideye behind any striker always remind me of Samson Siasia.

Siasia always brought the best in any top 9 ahead of him.Siasia gave Monday Odiaka the name and was instrumental to early rise of Yekini.

Ideye should have been a perfect replacement but really surprised he was left out by keshi after solid performance with Emenike and with his performance with Iheanacho, Rohr still don't rate him.

We just need to move on with the young ones coming up and hope Rohr get good rhythm for the team

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 12:43pm On Jul 18, 2018
Kog45:

Siasia always brought the best in any top 9 ahead of him.Siasia gave Monday Odiaka the name and was instrumental to early rise of Yekini.

Ideye should have been a perfect replacement but really surprised he was left out by keshi after solid performance with Emenike and with his performance with Iheanacho, Rohr still don't rate him.

We just need to move on with the young ones coming up and hope Rohr get good rhythm for the team
Rohr will never change. I can't wait to see how we play against SA.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 12:44pm On Jul 18, 2018
Kog45:
Yes Iheanacho would have scored it but the issue is that Iheanacho would not have got those chances cos Ighalo worked for it.
That is the point. Ighalo’s introduction in that game in the second half disturbed the Argentine defenders. Within the first 10 mins of his introduction, he won 3 free kicks. One of which led to the corner that caused the penalty. He would have been a national hero if he had crowned his efforts with a goal.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:55pm On Jul 18, 2018
edi287:

Actually it was Grez that played as a 9. Go watch the game against Belgium again and see why Giroud is important. Did a lot of work off the ball. Something Ighalo did not offer at the WC enough

Giroud did nothing tangible. U are just trying to maintain ur opinion on Ighalo. Giroud was just there and he didn't offer anything outside of the pass to Mbappe against Argentina.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:56pm On Jul 18, 2018
goldfish80:

That is the point. Ighalo’s introduction in that game in the second half disturbed the Argentine defenders. Within the first 10 mins of his introduction, he won 3 free kicks. One of which led to the corner that caused the penalty. He would have been a national hero if he had crowned his efforts with a goal.

This is the simple point that people are too blinded by emotions to see.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:31pm On Jul 18, 2018
komekn:

Every new season will see new players in coming and behind that quest is a belief they don't have those players in the squad.

Depending on who they bring will reflect whether he Osimhen will get any chances. As for now he is simply a youth academy player.

Wolfsburg have been flirting with relegation for the past two seasons, and always just making it on the last hurdle.

That means this season they have to invest heavily or be relegated. Relegation could be a good thing for Osimhen as he may get more opportunities.

Otherwise he really needs to get a loan move, he is approaching 20 and is still stuck in youth football. That's not progression.

What youth football are u talking about? He is a full professional with Bundesliga experience. Why invest when you have a young player that u have already sold players for?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 1:50pm On Jul 18, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Giroud did nothing tangible. U are just trying to maintain ur opinion on Ighalo. Giroud was just there and he didn't offer anything outside of the pass to Mbappe against Argentina.
Nope I am saying Giroud offered more than Ighalo. What did Ighalo do other than miss 2 chances apart from a nice dummy and an ok cameo against Iceland?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 1:53pm On Jul 18, 2018
goldfish80:

It is called selective criticism. As much as Nigerians want to kill Ighalo for the infamous miss, the gospel truth is that the miss against Argentina will not rank inside the top 10 miss of the tournament.
off the top of my head, Lukaku, Thomas Muller, Keane, those Peruvian strikers had more guilt edge misses much more worse than Ighalos.

Bro those misses were painful because those goals if he had scored them really mattered..those guys you are mentioning score goals for their countries when it matters...

The only goal Ighalo scored for us when it matters was against cameroun!!! Any player that always score for his country when it matters would always be praised to the high heavens and vice versa!!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:56pm On Jul 18, 2018
Now if u wanna know why other West African leagues have been exporting quality players to Europe compared to the NPFL, watch this match btwn Enyimba and Williamsville of ivory coast. 90percent of the Ivorians look under 20 while almost all the Enyimba players look way beyond their 30s bar Ikouwem Utin Udoh . This match is a match btwn old men and teens. These Williamsville players look like Academy players, they even look younger than Paul Aigbogun's under 20 boys.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:01pm On Jul 18, 2018
Huh Is there a rule that I am unaware of that you can't substitute a player who's a sub himself?

And by the way, that's NOT rhetorical question.

O pari

goldfish80:

The reason Rohr was cut in a no man's land to bring on subs who will close the game out, was because he couldn't sub Ighalo out who was a sub himself. This was the reason he was helpless at the dugout, knowing Ighalo was one of his biggest players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 2:14pm On Jul 18, 2018
A long throwing by musa lead to the corner kick that lead to the penalty(
goldfish80:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 2:17pm On Jul 18, 2018
ChrisKels:
Now if u wanna know why other West African leagues have been exporting quality players to Europe compared to the NPFL, watch this match btwn Enyimba and Williamsville of ivory coast. 90percent of the Ivorians look under 20 while almost all the Enyimba players look way beyond their 30s bar Ikouwem Utin Udoh . This match is a match btwn old men and teens. These Williamsville players look like Academy players, they even look younger than Paul Aigbogun's under 20 boys.
Please professional football is not age grade competition. Check the average age of Zamalek, Tp Mazembe, Sundowns. Even outside the shores of Africa, what's the average age of Real Madrid and Barcelona?
Professional teams should have youth teams who are engaged in their designated national or regional championships, not the main team parading an underage team.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 2:21pm On Jul 18, 2018
Icon79:
Huh Is there a rule that I am unaware of that you can't substitute a player who's a sub himself?

And by the way, that's NOT rhetorical question.

O pari

When the player in question is one of your bigger players, the question of respect cannot be over emphasised.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 2:30pm On Jul 18, 2018
goldfish80:

Please professional football is not age grade competition. Check the average age of Zamalek, Tp Mazembe, Sundowns. Even outside the shores of Africa, what's the average age of Real Madrid and Barcelona?
Professional teams should have youth teams who are engaged in their designated national or regional championships, not the main team parading an underage team.

Thats true but my point is that they should also be giving youths chance, they should have youth set ups to promote young players at any given time instead of this recycling of old worn out players all the time because no reasonable scout will recommend those old men to any European club.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:32pm On Jul 18, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

I think Osimhen is close to Orji. Might not have goals but he has notched a couple starts and I am sure he will get a look this year. He is closer to the Wolfsburg first XI than Orji is to Bolognas'.

I don't think Osimhen is close to Orji because he has played more games and scored more goals Osimhen in past two seasons. He is a first team player though he somethings comes from the bench.

Over 200 minutes of game time in each seasons can't be compared with Osimhen 45 minutes last two season and around 200 minutes of game time last season.

Orji is far ahead.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:03pm On Jul 18, 2018
ChrisKels:

Can you show us where Bennets openly declared to rep Nigeria abi u dun start again? grin

Google na.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 3:06pm On Jul 18, 2018
Has anyone heard about this guy?

Junior Pius
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Junior Udeme Pius (born 20 December 1995) is a Nigerian professional footballer who plays for Portuguese club C.D. Tondela as a central defender.

Football career[edit]
Born in Eman, Akwa Ibom, Pius finished his development in Portugal with FC Porto.[1] On 1 September 2014, he was loaned to C.D. Aves to kickstart his senior career,[2] making his Segunda Liga debut on 5 October in a 0–0 away draw against C.D. Santa Clara where he was sent off for two late bookable offences.[3]

Released by Porto at the end of the season, Pius took his game to the Portuguese third division, representing in quick succession F.C. Cesarense and A.D. Sanjoanense. In the summer of 2017 he moved straight to the Primeira Liga, signing a three-year contract with C.D. Tondela[4] and playing his first game in the latter competition on 16 September when he came on as a 31st-minute substitute in a 0–2 away loss to Sporting Clube de Portugal.[5]

In December 2017, while nursing a serious anterior cruciate ligament injury to his right knee contracted in a friendly against S.C. Covilhã two months earlier,[6] Pius was caught stealing from a fund containing player fines of various types, this allegedly being the third time the incident had occurred with him. He was immediately suspended by the club, also being forbidden from attending its facilities.[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Pius
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 3:09pm On Jul 18, 2018
Or this one? Just gone past the threshold for the age grade teams and not sure he can currently compete with what we have in the team. Surely one to monitor his development though, so we can harvest him before Austria if he comes good. LOL

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:10pm On Jul 18, 2018
I agree. Good point!

O pari

goldfish80:

When the player in question is one of your bigger players, the question of respect cannot be over emphasised.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:13pm On Jul 18, 2018
Oh please! I think it's an insult to compare Brown Ideye (aka mister-miss-it) with the legendary Samson Siasia. And please don't even try to make that mistake again angry sad shocked

That's all I gotta say ... for now sad

O pari

Kog45:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 3:18pm On Jul 18, 2018
forgiveness:

Google na.
Lol na today? I done Google am tire, I no see anything like that, so help grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 3:31pm On Jul 18, 2018
Icon79:
Oh please! I think it's an insult to compare Brown Ideye (aka mister-miss-it) with the legendary Samson Siasia. And please don't even try to make that mistake again angry sad shocked

That's all I gotta say ... for now sad

O pari

Legendary Siasia abi??

Do you remember the 1994 World Cup Qualifier against Ivory Coast? We were 1 nil up right there in Abidjan in front of 50,000 boisterous Ivorian fans. We were under the cosh big time and we hit them with a fast counter, it was Siasia and Yekini with only the CIV keeper (I remember his Alain Goumene) to beat and we go 2 nil up and win the game for sure. What did Siasia do? He didn't even work the keeper, he put the ball wide!! We ended up losing that game 2-1 and he got benched for Amokachi for the subsequent games and rightly so!

Legendary? no thanks. He is no different from Ideye.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:32pm On Jul 18, 2018
Kog45:
To be candid Ighalo failed and Nigerians always look for scapegoat and he fit the bill for missing the two chances.No matter the explanation you put in nobody is ready to listen,remember Ighalo is not popular and he failed woefully to correct that impression when it matter most.I remember seeing him being compared with Lokosa, just to tell you he wasn't rated.

Sir did you see anyone castigating Iheanacho poor playing at WC as Ighalo,that's it.Hope you are hearing Rohr didn't give Iwobi enough playing time whereas the same Iwobi was originally in Nigeria WC XI but a flop against Croatia but guess what he was played out of position as if not the same Iwobi of arsenal.

I remember a lot don't want to see Omeruo in Nigeria team preferring very average Awaziem and overrated Ekong but just too glaring Omeruo is better than the duo and thank God he made the team.

Ekong cost us Croatia match but did yiu see guys pointing this out.First goal he left his man and second goal he wrestled his man and caused the penalty.Good not Omeruo cos a lot would have criticised him with different names calling

I remember many flanks Aina received especially against Congo for the foul he commited which was even outside the box but when my talented Ebuehi gave out two glaring penalties against Iceland with one awarded,excuses arised to the point that some put the blame on Omeruo for the foul which should be Ebuehi responsibility.

I'm saying this to let you know that sometimes emotions override our football reasonings

Sir I think Rohr just need to change his style of managing the team if he want to succeed as eagle's coach.

Brian Idowu had a very average WC and it brought a question why did Echiejile made the team when Ebuehi came in for Idowu against Iceland when we have a natural LB in Echiejile on the bench then why was Aina dropped.

It would have been better to have young Aina on the bench just like we have Awaziem on the bench,meaning the dropping of Aina and Agu was wrong since Rohr lack confidence in Echiejile and Joel Obi.

I remember saying i hope Simy would not be another Nwofor at WC not doubting his talent but a striker that made WC just cos he had late run in Seria A and 7goals in a season and suddenly turned to a gold that we are looking for meaning something was wrong.

I'm one of Shehu advocates here but pre WC friendlies told us that Ebuehi should be a starter but surprisedly we saw Shehu against Croatia.The same Shehu that failed to exact himself against Argentina, England, Poland,Czech and even Congo.

I thought Rohr would rearranged his team with superlative performance of Ebuehi against Argentina with Aina as back up as RB/RWB cos they are better than makeshift Shehu and put Idowu and Echiejile who Rohr still believe in as LB and pushed Shehu to the midfield since he was even ahead of Agu in the same position in Buraspor and drop Joel but really surprised that Rohr failed to see this simple adaptive changes.

Sir do we need to blame any player?NO but Rohr who failed to identify his XI for WC and this started after our victory against Argentina in a friendly.I told icon4s that Argentina Victory would be our greatest undue and it manifested in series of our friendlies prior to WC.

I thought Rohr would continue with Argentina match XI and do highly tactical changes by replacing player who failed to meet up in subsequent friendlies but against Poland reverse was the case.

Sir, you are right on point. Rohr was wrong to have dropped Aina and Agu. He was even totally wrong to have dropped a player who has been consistent in scoring double digit goals over 3 seasons for a 7 match wonder player. I am talking about Rohr dropping Kayode Olanrewaju for Simy Nwankwo. GBAM

However, I don't agree Shehu was ahead of Agu in Bursaspor. It was never true.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pelezico: 3:36pm On Jul 18, 2018
But went to the WC and scored a fantastic goal against Argentina. Ideye is old news - if you still shilling for Ideye then Nigeria should just award its spot to some other country in Nigeria - im not dissing him im simply saying we must have better strikers than him

wayodude:

Legendary Siasia abi??

Do you remember the 1994 World Cup Qualifier against Ivory Coast? We were 1 nil up right there in Abidjan in front of 50,000 boisterous Ivorian fans. We were under the cosh big time and we hit them with a fast counter, it was Siasia and Yekini with only the CIV keeper (I remember his Alain Goumene) to beat and we go 2 nil up and win the game for sure. What did Siasia do? He didn't even work the keeper, he put the ball wide!! We ended up losing that game 2-1 and he got benched for Amokachi for the subsequent games and rightly so!

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Triniti(m): 3:42pm On Jul 18, 2018
ChrisKels:

Thats true but my point is that they should also be giving youths chance, they should have youth set ups to promote young players at any given time instead of this recycling of old worn out players all the time because no reasonable scout will recommend those old men to any European club.
Npfl is the biggest recycler of overage players who has pass their prime, go to the league games and see that virtually all the players from both teams knows each other like the back of their hands. Rangers surprised me recently in Enugu, there was no single 30!year old in that team

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 3:42pm On Jul 18, 2018
pelezico:
But went to the WC and scored a fantastic goal against Argentina. Ideye is old news - if you still shilling for Ideye then Nigeria should just award its spot to some other country in Nigeria - im not dissing him im simply saying we must have better strikers than him

I am not rooting for a recall for Ideye, sadly we didnt benifit from his prime as much as we ought to have done. But his time has gone. Sure that was my best Naija goal of all time but Siasia IMO is not legendary. I watched almost every game he played in Green White Green. Yekini and Aghahowa are the only Legendary strikers I have seen play for Nigeria in my view.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:06pm On Jul 18, 2018
Triniti:
Npfl is the biggest recycler of overage players who has pass their prime, go to the league games and see that virtually all the players from both teams knows each other like the back of their hands. Rangers surprised me recently in Enugu, there was no single 30!year old in that team

Lol they now have a reasonable amount of youngsters
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:26pm On Jul 18, 2018
ChrisKels:

Fine observation. I think the key point is that if we are to export talents to top clubs, we need to spend a great deal of time harvesting a large pool of brilliant talents and give them a chance to grow in the local league. Brazil has a handful of quality senior players in their leagues but still have room for their brilliant young talents to grow.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:29pm On Jul 18, 2018
forgiveness:

I don't think Osimhen is close to Orji because he has played more games and scored more goals Osimhen in past two seasons. He is a first team player though he somethings comes from the bench.

Over 200 minutes of game time in each seasons can't be compared with Osimhen 45 minutes last two season and around 200 minutes of game time last season.

Orji is far ahead.

Victor was injured in his first year and last season was his first as a full professional. Orji was scoring at Bologna but the goals dried up in a lesser division meaning he still has a lot to learn. I truly expect Victor to have a break out campaign this season.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:30pm On Jul 18, 2018
Of course, Siasia was selfish ... as he should be, he's a top striker not an assist man grin

But to compare him with a hit and miss like Ideye is an insult, to say the least. With Siasia, you'd be sure that he would bury his chances more than 75% of the time. With Ideye Brown, you can even count on him to convert 25% of his chances. Ideye is simply not good enough for the Super Eagles. He has never been, never will. I had always maintained that stance even when we had Emmanuel Emenike doing all the work and some folks were trying to give undue credit to Ideye.

O pari

wayodude:

Legendary Siasia abi??

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 4:31pm On Jul 18, 2018
bengine:

Bro those misses were painful because those goals if he had scored them really mattered..those guys you are mentioning score goals for their countries when it matters...

The only goal Ighalo scored for us when it matters was against cameroun!!! Any player that always score for his country when it matters would always be praised to the high heavens and vice versa!!!
My guy kicked the thing to throw in. It was difficult to defend him afterwards man.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:32pm On Jul 18, 2018
forgiveness:

Sir, you are right on point. Rohr was wrong to have dropped Aina and Agu. He was even totally wrong to have dropped a player who is has been consistent in scoring double digits goals over seasons for a 7 match wonder player. I am talking about Rohr dropping Kayode Olanrewaju for Simy Nwankwo. GBAM

However, I don't agree Shehu was ahead of Agu in Bursaspor. It was never true.

How was it not true Agu was on the bench while Shehu played DMF.

(1) (2) (3) ... (4421) (4422) (4423) (4424) (4425) (4426) (4427) ... (16139) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89 and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.