Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,876 members, 7,813,987 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:28 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4425) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11634526 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4422) (4423) (4424) (4425) (4426) (4427) (4428) ... (16139) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 4:34pm On Jul 18, 2018
wayodude:
Has anyone heard about this guy?

Junior Pius
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Junior Udeme Pius (born 20 December 1995) is a Nigerian professional footballer who plays for Portuguese club C.D. Tondela as a central defender.

Football career[edit]
Born in Eman, Akwa Ibom, Pius finished his development in Portugal with FC Porto.[1] On 1 September 2014, he was loaned to C.D. Aves to kickstart his senior career,[2] making his Segunda Liga debut on 5 October in a 0–0 away draw against C.D. Santa Clara where he was sent off for two late bookable offences.[3]

Released by Porto at the end of the season, Pius took his game to the Portuguese third division, representing in quick succession F.C. Cesarense and A.D. Sanjoanense. In the summer of 2017 he moved straight to the Primeira Liga, signing a three-year contract with C.D. Tondela[4] and playing his first game in the latter competition on 16 September when he came on as a 31st-minute substitute in a 0–2 away loss to Sporting Clube de Portugal.[5]

In December 2017, while nursing a serious anterior cruciate ligament injury to his right knee contracted in a friendly against S.C. Covilhã two months earlier,[6] Pius was caught stealing from a fund containing player fines of various types, this allegedly being the third time the incident had occurred with him. He was immediately suspended by the club, also being forbidden from attending its facilities.[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Pius
He's been mentioned here a few times.
Cc Forgiveness Goldfish80
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 4:35pm On Jul 18, 2018
Kog45:
Yes Iheanacho would have scored it but the issue is that Iheanacho would not have got those chances cos Ighalo worked for it.
Nacho's movement/mobility is surprisingly poor these days.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:35pm On Jul 18, 2018
edi287:

Nope I am saying Giroud offered more than Ighalo. What did Ighalo do other than miss 2 chances apart from a nice dummy and an ok cameo against Iceland?

What did Giroud offer? A player doesn't even have a shot on target and you are saying he offered more.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:38pm On Jul 18, 2018
Icon79:
Oh please! I think it's an insult to compare Brown Ideye (aka mister-miss-it) with the legendary Samson Siasia. And please don't even try to make that mistake again angry sad shocked

That's all I gotta say ... for now sad

O pari

Sir you are not getting my point and on Siasia lost out to Amokachie not a news to me how it happened.

If Siasia is not different from Ideye then i surrender with due respect.

The Siasia i watched from 1985 to 1993 was far better than Ideye and very insulting to say Siasia is not different from Ideye.

Did you know as at 1993 Siasia was the third all time Nigeria highest goal scorer behind Yekini and Segun Odegbami.

Pls go and watch Siasia intelligent goal against Argentina at US 94 or asked Westerhoff why he find it difficult to drop Siasia from his squad especially starting XI at US 94.

My man,my submission on Siasia does not warrant stories on how he failed to pass to Yekini but telling how good he was playing behind top 9.

I will not deceive you personally i rate Siasia i watched between 1983-1993 than Amokachie i watched from 1990-1998 as attacking player behind top striker.

My opinion and submission.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:43pm On Jul 18, 2018
Bro, I think we're saying the SAME thing. Read my comments again grin

O pari

Kog45:
Sir you are not getting my point and on Siasia lost out to Amokachie not a news to me how it happened.

The Siasia i watched from 1985 to 1993 was far opinion f Ideye and very insulting to say Siasia is not different from Ideye.

Did you know as at 1993 Siasia was the third all time Nigeria highest goal scorer behind Yekini and Segun Odegbami.

Pls go and watch Siasia intelligent goal against Argentina at US 94 or asked Westerhoff why he find it difficult to drop Siasia from his squad especially starting XI at US 94.

My man my submission on Siasia does not warrant stories on how he failed to pass to Yekini but telling you how good he was playing behind top 9.

I will not deceive you personally i rate Siasia i watched between 1983-1993 than Amokachie i watched from 1990-1998 as attacking player behind top striker.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:48pm On Jul 18, 2018
Icon79:
Bro, I think we're saying the SAME thing. Read my comments again grin

O pari

My bad.

O''pari master i didn't know you already did auto modification on the post.

No wahala my man.

How is states.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 4:48pm On Jul 18, 2018
edi287:

My guy kicked the thing to throw in. It was difficult to defend him afterwards man.

My guy, how many goal has Oliseh scores for the super eagles? But one thing we all remember is that goal against Spain..Oliseh is always praised till today..

No one hates Ighalo but missing goals at crucial moment makes or breaks you..Ighalo just doesn't deliver for is when we need him the most..anyone defending Ighalo is not being honest with themselves..Ighalo is just an average striker with some dribbling skills

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 5:07pm On Jul 18, 2018
goldfish80:

The difficulty level required to execute the task was not the same. Only very few players would have scored that goal Ighalo missed under the same circumstance , that's the bitter truth.

Bro why are you making excuses for him...what about Musa that scored his first goal against iceland..wasn't that more difficult, controlling in mid-air then finishing..

The reality is that ighalos's miss was not a difficult one for a dangerous striker...the question you should ask is why didn't he use the inside of his legs to shoot for accuracy instead of just slamming the bAll...it just tells me he has zero composure..

If he thinks he can't score in mid air why not take one extra control then shoot..

I play this game bro and I understand the anxiety level at the world cup is high but part of being a seasoned professional is having that last second composure to finish not rushing it...well I guess he is just an average striker then..

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:16pm On Jul 18, 2018
bengine:

Bro why are you making excuses for him...what about Musa that scored his first goal against iceland..wasn't that more difficult, controlling in mid-air then finishing..

The reality is that ighalos's miss was not a difficult one for a dangerous striker...the question you should ask is why didn't he use the inside of his legs to shoot for accuracy instead of just slamming the bAll...it just tells me he has zero composure..

If he thinks he can't score in mid air why not take one extra control then shoot..

I play this game bro and I understand the anxiety level at the world cup is high but part of being a seasoned professional is having that last second composure to finish not rushing it...well I guess he is just an average striker then..

How can you even compare the 2? Musa brought the ball down while Ighalo attempted a first time volley. But even if you are using Musa's goal do you think it was easy? It was a moment of brilliance.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 5:18pm On Jul 18, 2018
Bros, I think you just mis-read. I did not modify nothing. I have always been a big Siasia fan - both as a player and as a coach - and I have never liked Brown Ideye's game. He misses too many chances to be considered a good player.

O pari

Kog45:
My bad.

O''pari master i didn't know you already did auto modification on the post.

No wahala my man.

How is states.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:24pm On Jul 18, 2018
bengine:

My guy, how many goal has Oliseh scores for the super eagles? But one thing we all remember is that goal against Spain..Oliseh is always praised till today..

No one hates Ighalo but missing goals at crucial moment makes or breaks you..Ighalo just doesn't deliver for is when we need him the most..anyone defending Ighalo is not being honest with themselves..Ighalo is just an average striker with some dribbling skills

Yes Nigeria has won world cups with strikers delivering when it mattered most. I must say that now I agree with Khan when he said that Nigerians overrate the super eagles. This leads us into trouble when things don't well.

You talk about Oliseh's goal but why are u not whining about Ndidi missing a closer effort WHEN IT MATTERED MOST? I tell you why because you already picked your scapegoat.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:25pm On Jul 18, 2018
bengine:

Ighalo just an average striker not debatable and really pointed out the weakness of our entire team.

Thank God Musa raised his game,not happy with Iheanacho overall performance too.

Rohr need to put more searchlight on Nigeria players especially strikers.

Hope to see improved Iheanacho this season cos am seeing Awoniyi, Sadiq,and Osimhen coming for the role though depends on their performance this season..

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:33pm On Jul 18, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Yes Nigeria has won world cups with strikers delivering when it mattered most. I must say that now I agree with Khan when he said that Nigerians overrate the super eagles. This leads us into trouble when things don't well.

You talk about Oliseh's goal but why are u not whining about Ndidi missing a closer effort WHEN IT MATTERED MOST? I tell you why because you already picked your scapegoat.
Yes i remember Oliseh goal against Spain at France 98 but the same Oliseh messed up against Italy at US 94 and till today watching the match still brings pain

As I said Rohr is to be blamed for our loss not the players. We have five minutes to finished the game but tactical mistake cost us.

All we need against Argentina was to bring in fresh midfielders to just run around the field and frustrate the Argentines.

Time to move on and learn from our mistakes cos Afcon is around the corner and remember we lost our first match at home against South Africa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:38pm On Jul 18, 2018
edi287:

Nacho's movement/mobility is surprisingly poor these days.
He need to raise his game this season.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:38pm On Jul 18, 2018
Icon79:
Bros, I think you just mis-read. I did not modify nothing. I have always been a big Siasia fan - both as a player and as a coach - and I have never liked Brown Ideye's game. He misses too many chances to be considered a good player.

O pari

Ok baba am damn sorry that post was for WAYODULE

Wrongly quoted you.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:49pm On Jul 18, 2018
Kog45:
Yes i remember Oliseh goal against Spain at France 98 but the same Oliseh messed up against Italy at US 94 and till today watching the match still brings pain

As I said Rohr is to be blamed for our loss not the players. We have five minutes to finished the game but tactical mistake cost us.

All we need against Argentina was to bring in fresh midfielders to just run around the field and frustrate the Argentines.

Time to move on and learn from our mistakes cos Afcon is around the corner and remember we lost our first match at home against South Africa.

Honestly I moved on but I detest injustice. People are lying just to maintain what their emotions want them believe. At 1-1 we qualify so how can someone say Ighalo cost us anything?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:08pm On Jul 18, 2018
I think our league should mirror America and have a draft prior to every season. Starting from age 18 any player with intention of going abroad would have to get drafted to a club and maybe the NFF could work on a payment scheme that has set packages for as high as u are drafted.
Instead of players wasting away in academies waiting for Europe they can be in the league. Also an insurance scheme should be provided to protect the players.
I could also go for the NFF having a second division club for young coaches and players.
But my main point is that our academics should also start helping our league because they have been doing a great job with talents. Obinna Nwobodo and Alhassan Ibrahim mistakenly entered our league and we felt their impact. We need more young players of that quality.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:31pm On Jul 18, 2018
Didos, my brother. Mega didos!!!

O pari

Kog45:
Ok baba am damn sorry that post was for WAYODULE

Wrongly quoted you.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 6:57pm On Jul 18, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

How can you even compare the 2? Musa brought the ball down while Ighalo attempted a first time volley. But even if you are using Musa's goal do you think it was easy? It was a moment of brilliance.

That's why I said he should take the extra control then finish..I hope you do know that ball he missed was barely 10yards out..

We were already complaining about Ighalo b4 this world cup started that he is not proficient in front of goal and he didn't disappoint at all...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:09pm On Jul 18, 2018
AIG07:
sometimes I FEEL Osimhen would have performed better than both Ighalo and Iheanacho at the World Cup. How these two became passengers, I'm still finding hard to understand.

Until you have started to play senior football you are just potential. Osimhen has been at Wolfsburg and is just essentially all this time a youth player.

Considering where Wolfsburg is that's not the sign of a quality striker.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 7:10pm On Jul 18, 2018
Kog45:
Ighalo just an average striker not debatable and really pointed out the weakness of our entire team.

Thank God Musa raised his game,not happy with Iheanacho overall performance too.

Rohr need to put more searchlight on Nigeria players especially strikers.

Hope to see improved Iheanacho this season cos am seeing Awoniyi, Sadiq,and Osimhen coming for the role though depends on their performance this season..

Iheanacho was even poorer than Ighalo in overall play in this tournament but we rmbr Ighalo cos of his terrible misses, nacho would have gotten the same treatment if he missed that same way..the emotions that runs through your body when your team is about to score is huge so also are the misses...that's why Ighalo gets the stick..if nacho had a good hold up play, do you think Ighalo would get minutes in russia??

So far nacho keeps hugging the bench at his club, he would not really deliver for nigeria..my hope right now is on sadiq and awoniyi cos they are true target men with good hold up play and average finishing..

Nacho has really good finishing but other part of his game is just poor or underdeveloped!! That dude really needs to start clocking 90minutes at his club to improve every other aspect of his game..

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:16pm On Jul 18, 2018
bengine:

That's why I said he should take the extra control then finish..I hope you do know that ball he missed was barely 10yards out..

We were already complaining about Ighalo b4 this world cup started that he is not proficient in front of goal and he didn't disappoint at all...

With a defender "screening" in front of Ighalo, honestly speaking less than 10% of strikers on parade at this world cup would have scored this. Nigerians just needed an escape goat, for me Rohr should be held responsible.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:08pm On Jul 18, 2018
Dear terzurum5, Now that Russia 2018 is over can we modify the title of this thread?

What do we think house?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:13pm On Jul 18, 2018
edi287:

Ideye is a better target man than Ighalo. Infact both can play together.

Two guns without bullets. Una no wan score goal be that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:24pm On Jul 18, 2018
Icon4s:
Dear terzurum5,
Now that Russia 2018 is over can we modify the title of this thread?

What do we think house?
Yes since WC is over
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:32pm On Jul 18, 2018
KC Nwakali joins Porto officially on a season long loan.

biggest Nigerian transfer so far this window.

Next in line are ; SiMoses, Awoniyi and Kalu

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:32pm On Jul 18, 2018
Kog45:
God bless you Sir.Pls go and watch Zambia/Nigeria in Ndola and see Ideye and Iheanacho combinations but really surprised to see Ideye shut out of national team.

Ideye was shut out because he was inactive. We should move on from the likes of Ideye and Ighalo now. Give opportunities to the upcoming talents.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:33pm On Jul 18, 2018
ChrisKels:
KC Nwakali joins Porto officially on a season long loan.

biggest Nigerian transfer so far this window.

Hopefully, he is not shipped to Porto B.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:33pm On Jul 18, 2018
Icon4s:

Two guns without bullets. Una no wan score goal be that.

grin grin grin..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:40pm On Jul 18, 2018
Kog45:

The Siasia i watched from 1985 to 1993 was far better than Ideye and very insulting to say Siasia is not different from Ideye.

My man,my submission on Siasia does not warrant stories on how he failed to pass to Yekini but telling how good he was playing behind top 9.

Siasia was such a versatile player that played as CF, SS, and number 10. If we had someone like Siasia in this current team, we would have been saying a different story about Russia 2018 today.

Mentioning Ideye and Siasia in the same sentence is an insult to football.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:42pm On Jul 18, 2018
tbaba1234:

Hopefully, he is not shipped to Porto B.

They have been on his trail for almost a year, so I doubt he would be shipped to the B team, besides, Arsenal and Porto know the reason for the deal; work permit, which he cant get playing for any B team.

The omen is good.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 8:42pm On Jul 18, 2018
Porto same level with Galatasaray in terms of country championship medal.

Ofoegbu Chikeluba i think joined Hapoel Tel Aviv...Yellow team

Watched Porto friendly yesterday...Mikel Agu came in at a time.. did not see Awaziem play...i wonder which match owngoalnigeria reporter watched,saying that Awaziem played.

(1) (2) (3) ... (4422) (4423) (4424) (4425) (4426) (4427) (4428) ... (16139) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: dijon, Christology(m), Mercenary123, zicky(m), daveP(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.