Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,089 members, 7,814,782 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:44 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 - Travel (86) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 (899229 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (405) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by LadyGuinivere: 9:04am On May 07, 2016
Harjeehbaday:

This is indeed a great testimony and we shall all have great testimonies too
Congratulations and regards to the LO, Hospital even gave free stroller... shocked shocked shocked shocked No b small thing ooo. This is just God's favour
The free something na em de sweet me o. If na twins nko, them go dash 2 join ?#igbobizwomanmode. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by ijeomaobi1: 9:29am On May 07, 2016
@nnystc/Lady G,

U ladies wwee not kee someborri. See highest noon ,off a/c and fan. Chai dats burnt baby u wee make o.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by simababe(f): 9:30am On May 07, 2016
Nnystc:
my sister,
Dem nor dey tell person oh! I'm already seeing like 2-2.5k savings btw hospital and doc eeeh...
On top this PTA Vs black market wahala.

I don port remain... Monday morning make I begin make calls...

Any savings now na jackpot!

BTW, travelling in 2 weeks too.. we fit block for MMA... I will jus' keep my eye open for woman with long stomach grin grin grin

Since u both want to block, let's block together. Leaving in 2wks time.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by ijeomaobi1: 9:30am On May 07, 2016
Seriouslyt thinking this st Francis medical hospita like plan B overtaking plan A -Houston Methodist. Opportunity cost or what's it called now sef?

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by sennystudio: 9:36am On May 07, 2016
LadyGuinivere:

#chances? Nobody can tell u that.
You are to apply where u have ties. Apparently, that is SA where your husband has a job and both of you have a permit.
I think both of you should apply without the kids

Thank u so much sis, I appreciate you quick response. I will update the house as we proceed may God see us through.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by Nnystc: 9:43am On May 07, 2016
Sistas and brodas,

YES, St Francis does give those light foldable strollers for bigger toddlers, not the new-born stroller+carseat o.
MHG in LA also used to give free car seat for newborns that time... So IT IS POSSIBLE.

But then,
Make everyborry manage their expectations dot com ohhh!

I don see some kin thing before oh. Somebody got some big and glorious gift from hospital because guys in charge there were so moved by the peculiarity of her case, na so all the other mamas begin go there dey demand same treatment... Naija style! You know nah..."Mrs X got it, so you owe me same!" wink wink

By the time we reach there dey ask, what we got was "word does travel swiftly in the Nigerian community, doesn't it? Before you speak, I know you're about to ask about xyz... its not a normal occurrence and not part of the package" grin grin

LadyGuinivere:

The free something na em de sweet me o. If na twins nko, them go dash 2 join ?#igbobizwomanmode. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by Nnystc: 9:45am On May 07, 2016
Ebony coloured twins, are twins nonetheless. Or how you see am nah?? grin

ijeomaobi1:
@nnystc/Lady G,

U ladies wwee not kee someborri. See highest noon ,off a/c and fan. Chai dats burnt baby u wee make o.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by cutelass: 9:49am On May 07, 2016
Thank u Nathz45, theleakytribe, lawyer123, omodadi2, simababe, Nnystc, biollar1, LadyG, Egonne1, ChicMalkia, Ajuju2, Harjeehbaday.

For some reason, the bp came to normal when my naija consultant checked himself 3 days b4 my travel cos I was told if he took the reading himself and it was high, he wld order an emergency c-section.

The day I was discharged from St Francis, the dr told me I was inches away from having a seizure...and that when seizure occurs...placenta abrupts and cuts off oxygen supply to the baby. Baby neva makes it and for the life of mother...it's a 50-50 thing (had to be placed on oxygen at some point before I delivered).

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by ijeomaobi1: 9:51am On May 07, 2016
@nnystc,

Abi oo. All na babies.
@all,
What u think of st Francis as per huge cost difference? Biko I've already bought Houston via emirate. Do I get connecting flight to California? Which airline?

Then I've gotten Dr m--u number via omary83 post. Will call him for details.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by ijeomaobi1: 9:53am On May 07, 2016
@cutelass,

Congratulations. Like the way the doctor really explainedt he pros and cons of the hbp. #my proposed dokita

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by najalady86: 9:57am On May 07, 2016
cutelass:
Guess I've rested enough. Here's my story. About 10 days before my travel date, swelling on my legs which had always been minimal increased so much. Even after raising the legs up at night, the moment my feet touches ground in the morning the swelling returns. 3 days before my travel, I used the home bp monitor to check my bp and it was ranging btw 140/80 and 145/85. I immediately drove to hospital. Nurse on duty checked with the manual bp monitor and another young dr checked and it was still high. They had to call my consultant. He ordered they check my urine for protein and nothing came up...he eventually came himself, checked the bp and said it was normal.

3 days later I travelled with Lufthansa on a united ticket at 34 weeks + some days. Requested for wheelchair and they said since I brought fit to fly I can't use wheel chair. I was shocked cos several pple here have used wheelchair. They agreed to book for my mum cos of her arthritis yet we didn't see any wheelchair neither at Frankfurt nor LAX. We flew to Frankfurt and had a 4 hrs layover b4 we flew to LAX. All the while, my mum was so worried about the swelling.

POE was a breeze.
Cbp: what are you here for?
Me: childbirth
Cbp: ok. How long are u here for?
Me: 2 months
Cbp: sorry, what did u say u are here for again?
Me: childbirth, delivery, to have my baby (lol...that's d type of confidence saying the truth at the embassy gives u)
Took our finger prints and stamps us in for 6 months.

We went to agriculture...the officer was busy shouting to the guy scanning the bags...Nigeria, Nigeria, lol...our bags were scanned but we weren't asked to open it.

When we got to my aunty's house...the legs had tripled in size and she insisted I see the dr immediately ( my appt wasn't till another 4 days). We called his office and luckily he was still around...said they close at 5pm. It was already 4pm...so without eating or anything...they drove us to the dr office. My relations went in to greet him (they had known him for a long time) I had no idea, while I filled out the forms. When I saw the dr, my bp had shot up to 159/100. He told me point blank to head straight to the hospital as I had developed pre-eclampsia and baby had to be induced immediately. He said the financial dept would have closed for the day and they don't open weekends...so we had only the next day to pay and sign the contract...cos if I deliver without signing it...I would be left with a bill of over $40k. Got to the hospital and was admitted. Was placed on magnesium IV to prevent seizure...while they ran tests...the same ones I would have done with the doctor's office.

Next day my mum sorted the bills...while they brought the papers for me to fill...despite the induction starting Thursday night...i didn't deliver till almost mid day Saturday...cervix no gree dilate till...was almost heading to OR for c-section b4 LO came forth...I hadn't eaten in almost 48 hrs...day said no food, no water...was just allowed to chew ice...where the strength to push came from...I don't know.

The main testimony is that LO didn't need to go to NICU...was almost peeing in my pant when the thought of it came to my mind...cos of bills...she was just in the nursery...they did hearing test...checked for jaundice...was later discharged. LO is 3 weeks old currently.

Used st Francis medical center and dr. Mb---u. Hospital bill $2700 for vag. Delivery (includes paediatrician, epidural (the thing wore off towards the actual delivery). Stayed an extra day which cost $900 (covers both me and baby). Hospital gives free stroller. I've gotten zero balance.

Dr fees had always been 1500 and 2500 for vag and csection respectively. When I got here...saw it was now 1000 and 1300...was told the dr considered the current economic situation in Nigeria and decided to slash his self-pay fees. Hmmm...Angels still dey dis earth Shaa.

Since baby came early, wanted to shift my date but United wants an arm and a leg just to change date...I'm chilling (mum is here with me, hubby is coming, wonderful host...no need to run home)

Wow. Congrats dear. I think you were the one i saw my first day at the Dr's office with your LO mum and aunty. Didn't know you went through all these. May God's name be praised. And like you said, the Dr. Is a God sent. Nice to a fault. May God bless him. He even offered to collect his fees via wire transfer despite slashing his fees.
And for those considering L.A., trust me it's so much better here. Used Oakbend and Dr F last time and i can tell the difference. There is also Metro bus and train to almost every where. Haven't spent up to 10 dollars on transportation since I came and I go out almost every day. Most times, the bus driver will just wave you and say dodnt bother paying.

16 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by cutelass: 9:58am On May 07, 2016
Nnystc:

An awesome God we serve!
He suspended that baby in there and made sure no one delayed you at POE just to make sure that His purpose was realised. Also He slashed your bills and ensured you didn't incur further bills through NICU.
Sister, God did you good oh!
All praise to Him! He's just a miracle worker!

And what are you rushing back for? Stay And recuperate jor. .. Afterall that was the initial plan, wasn't it? Abi you get shop for Onitsha market wey you wan rush go open? shocked Are you not on Mat leave? grin cheesy

At Dr Mb---u, hmmmm. I may need to port from the other Dr Mb. These prices are tempting at half of his! shocked

Many congratulations Mama.

U may really need to port ooo cos even my aunty whose children all deliver at that 'C' hospital with that other Mb doctor confirmed st Francis had better services. She cldnt believe the cost in relation to services rendered. Said in that 'C' hospital, u had to share a room with another patient in post-partum but st Francis has private post-partum rooms.

Also when I saw the doctor few days ago (follow-up visit to check if bp had normalized), he asked if I had any extra bills...I said yes $900, he said I wld hav paid 1600 for extra day at that 'C' hospital (u knw h delivers there also). His assistant said 'for thesame service' and he said st Francis is newer and their nurses are more efficient or something like dat...can't remember his exact word...just compare shaa...meanwhile, how much does that other dr. M charge?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by Nnystc: 10:00am On May 07, 2016
Nne,
Your case file dey accelerated mode for heaven.

Me sef don name the pickin for my mind. MmasiChukwu
When God decides to do something, NOTHING derails it... and even if satan wear ceremonial dress come, no shaking!

I declare over the lives of everyone passing through this thread for their testimony, that God almighty will handle our cases with His sure and divine mercy and favour, and testimonies will abound. We will not cast our young, our dreams will be realised all to His glory. Amen

cutelass:
Thank u Nathz45, theleakytribe, lawyer123, omodadi2, simababe, Nnystc, biollar1, LadyG, Egonne1, ChicMalkia, Ajuju2, Harjeehbaday.

For some reason, the bp came to normal when my naija consultant checked himself 3 days b4 my travel cos I was told if he took the reading himself and it was high, he wld order an emergency c-section.

The day I was discharged from St Francis, the dr told me I was inches away from having a seizure...and that when seizure occurs...placenta abrupts and cuts off oxygen supply to the baby. Baby neva makes it and for the life of mother...it's a 50-50 thing (had to be placed on oxygen at some point before I delivered).

17 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by cutelass: 10:12am On May 07, 2016
najalady86:

Wow. Congrats dear. I think you were the one i saw my first day at the Dr's office with your LO mum and aunty. Didn't know you went through all these. May God's name be praised. And like you said, the Dr. Is a God sent. Nice to a fault. May God bless him. He even offered to collect his fees via wire transfer despite slashing his fees.
And for those considering L.A., trust me it's so much better here. Used Oakbend and Dr F last time and i can tell the difference. There is also Metro bus and train to almost every where. Haven't spent up to 10 dollars on transportation since I came and I go out almost every day. Most times, the bus driver will just wave you and say dodnt bother paying.

Yes ooo...it was me. Thank u. Sure u a countin down. Wish u safe delivery.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by Nnystc: 10:24am On May 07, 2016
Nne,
You don't have to tell me o... I used the other Dr.M and "C" Hosp... Waaaay higher. The doc sef nor dey look face (his pic is on "C's wall, as Mgt staff/ director so perhaps that's why he charges higher).

Last time: Dr.M took 4.5k, C took 5k. This time no dulling, the PTA and $/N situation now plus card payment limits sef makes it easy to convince myself and family members there that recommended him.

Off soon for a small trip over there, I will work on closing out and settling my bills in time for Aug/Sept sojourn.

Thanks for the info!

cutelass:

U may really need to port ooo cos even my aunty whose children all deliver at that 'C' hospital with that other Mb doctor confirmed st Francis had better services. She cldnt believe the cost in relation to services rendered. Said in that 'C' hospital, u had to share a room with another patient in post-partum but st Francis has private post-partum rooms.

Also when I saw the doctor few days ago (follow-up visit to check if bp had normalized), he asked if I had any extra bills...I said yes $900, he said I wld hav paid 1600 for extra day at that 'C' hospital (u knw h delivers there also). His assistant said 'for thesame service' and he said st Francis is newer and their nurses are more efficient or something like dat...can't remember his exact word...just compare shaa...meanwhile, how much does that other dr. M charge?

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by ifyalways(f): 10:25am On May 07, 2016
Positive testimonies. God is still God.

*smiles*
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by nefertitiram: 10:26am On May 07, 2016
ijeomaobi1:
Seriouslyt thinking this st Francis medical hospita like plan B overtaking plan A -Houston Methodist. Opportunity cost or what's it called now sef?

And watch it take a nose dive. Demand and supply... that's what it's called

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by Nnystc: 10:37am On May 07, 2016
My thought exactly wink

My first thought on seeing the post was "In comes the crowd, out goes the efficiency" grin grin
Even POE wont know what hit them grin grin grin

Anyway, flight ticket nor be here o! LA is one of the more expensive cities to fly to. Also prices and purchase taxes at almost 10%. Rent nko?
Worry not, let them decide.

nefertitiram:

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by ijeomaobi1: 10:47am On May 07, 2016
Haba nef/nnystc,

Change of plan can happen na. At least price never high. And make una answer the connecting flight question Abeg.

Who no like better thing? cool

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by Nnystc: 11:00am On May 07, 2016
Nnem nor vex.
Yankee na open country. The land of the free. No one has monopoly over any birthing destination.
And for you to be porting, it means that you're concerned about cost, as a mama that is out to pay your bills (not like the d'jango Medicaid tribe). So why I go dey vex say you wan come our hometown? grin grin

Only problem be say I nor get info about connecting flight. If to say I bin don float that airline I dey plan since, I for give you the info.
wink cheesy grin
Abi Nef, you don float ya own??

Seriously though LA receives flights from every state I'm sure. Don't forget its the celebrity capital and base. So connecting flight nor go hard. As usual, you can "giggle" or "goggle" it inside the "h'internet"!

ijeomaobi1:
Haba nef/nnystc,

Change of plan can happen na. At least price never high. And make una answer the connecting flight question Abeg.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by ChicMalkia: 11:06am On May 07, 2016
Lolz...Nef u be economist? I recall u wrote about demand n supply some other time in the past...lolz...

Dollars af vex, make mommas take advantage joor...God wen show us this way go always reveal more as needed... grin

nefertitiram:

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by nefertitiram: 11:12am On May 07, 2016
ChicMalkia:
Lolz...Nef u be economist? I recall u wrote about demand n supply some other time in the past...lolz...

Dollars af vex, make mommas take advantage joor...God wen show us this way go always reveal more as needed... grin

Demand increases.
It's only one doctor's office so supply of manpower remains constant.

What increases? Price.

I used to be on OBJ's economic team na! Ask aunty ngoooo

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by nefertitiram: 11:17am On May 07, 2016
Nnystc:
Nnem nor vex.
Yankee na open country. The land of the free. No one has monopoly over any birthing destination.
And for you to be porting, it means that you're concerned about cost, as a mama that is out to pay your bills (not like the d'jango Medicaid tribe). So why I go dey vex say you wan come our hometown? grin grin

Only problem be say I nor get info about connecting flight. If to say I bin don float that airline I dey plan since, I for give you the info.
wink cheesy grin
Abi Nef, you don float ya own??

Seriously though LA receives flights from every state I'm sure. Don't forget its the celebrity capital and base. So connecting flight nor go hard. As usual, you can "giggle" or "goggle" it inside the "h'internet"!

Yes na! H'air Django!

You no go kill me with laugh u ds woman! Watdahell is D'jango medicaid tribe! My chest ooooo
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by phummy2: 11:31am On May 07, 2016
Congratulations @cutelass. This is indeed a testimony, may God continue to bless ur family. I pray for a smooth experience for all of us waiting n counting down to our travel dates, Poe and baby delivery. Still on pta hustle o n hopeful. Biko why does it take standard chartered so long to open account? I've been waiting for over a week now, sigh! It is well. Have a great weekend everyone.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by sugah: 11:38am On May 07, 2016
Cutelass congratulations! Thank God for your testimony (it indeed is one).

But this prices just put me for high jump shocked
Abeg how is accommodation there for someone that has no one to stay with? How easy is it to get a short stay apartment and price range?

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by Nnystc: 11:47am On May 07, 2016
Nef,
You nor know them?
All the D'jango pipul...

Dat na those wey go reach and collect free treatment (Medicaid, MediCal, No payment for service rendered... whatever name its called) and come home while beating their chest that they "beat the system".

But seriously:
They end up giving us a bad name, making the place unwelcoming for the rest of the people, subjecting some people to endless delays/detention at the POE, Visa denials for others, unnecessary scrutiny and distrust... no emphathy for our people etc...

Naija, If we continue like this, we could even end up even putting the kids we went there to give birth to into problems (unnecessary back breaking policies, etc)

For instance, just a thought undecided: Imagine one takes the easy awoof route, and later at 18 or 21 years, the pickin is asked to pay up the cost of his birth with 21 years interest? would we then feel we made a good decision?

Selah!

nefertitiram:

Yes na! H'air Django!

You no go kill me with laugh u ds woman! Watdahell is D'jango medicaid tribe! My chest ooooo

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by ebonychic18(f): 11:47am On May 07, 2016
Oh my goodness cheesy cheesy character dey o. You gave me a good laugh this hot Saturday morning grin
Nnystc:
wink grin shocked
Even plus including Empire and Game of thrones and OITNB...

Dear Lady G,
I don't know you from H'adam, not to talk of H'eve. But since its Saturday morning, and I have free time (no office work pursuing someborry, and a few minutes till the kids wake up and pile into my peaceful room... and wake up my sleeping foetus!)...

I say make I hail you oh! The way you dey take time respond to almost all posts here na wah o! Even the questions that a patient person will see and go "Negodu!...mtchewww" shocked , you will take time and respond, even if only to tell the enquirer to look well, or think it through!

I was even asking myself the other day when I saw your response on one question ... abi she get speech-to-text on her phone? Nor be the same finger-typing all of us dey use? grin

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by happytbaby: 12:00pm On May 07, 2016
Check www.airbnb.com first. I am still on high jump looking for accommodation in Chicago but by God's grace I will get.

I missed a nice one yesterday cos I didn't pay on time. the thing pain me ehn!

sugah:
Cutelass congratulations! Thank God for your testimony (it indeed is one).

But this prices just put me for high jump shocked
Abeg how is accommodation there for someone that has no one to stay with? How easy is it to get a short stay apartment and price range?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by happytbaby: 12:05pm On May 07, 2016
Check other issues like accommodation, hospital ratings, NICU level first, If you are okay with them , then call Emirates to find out the cost of re-routing to LAX. If not feasible, check local flights, might be really cheap. I bought NY to Chicago for 84dollars (one way) per person last week. I even found 59dollars on Spirit Airlines but as we would have to still pay for ticket and me no sabi the airline before, I bought South West instead.

But is it really advisable taking so many flights as a pregnant woman?

ijeomaobi1:
Haba nef/nnystc,

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by isysleek: 12:06pm On May 07, 2016
Thank you.

oyin3:

You don't need a consent letter, or birth certificate, to travel with your little one, many mamas travel with their children, without their DH, London or America, if asked, you are one of the child's parent. Plus, you mentioned that your new passport has same surname. I'm sure you should have no worries. smiley
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by isysleek: 12:07pm On May 07, 2016
Thank you.

Amother4life:

Yes . If your visa is still valid you can travel to the United States with your two passports, as long as the visa is valid, not damaged, and is the appropriate type of visa required for your principal purpose of travel. (Example: tourist visa, when your principal purpose of travel is tourism). Both passports (the valid and the expired one with the visa) should be from the same country and type (Example: both Nigerian regular passports, both official passports, etc.). When you arrive at the U.S. port-of-entry (POE, generally an airport or land border) the Customs and Border Protection Immigration Officer will check your visa in the old passport and if s/he decides to admit you into the United States they will stamp your new passport with an admission stamp along with the annotation "VIOPP" (visa in other passport).
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 by simababe(f): 12:36pm On May 07, 2016
Sugar I sent you a pm.

@All
Abeg what's the weather in NY like now.

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (405)

Polish Student Visa / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.