Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,252 members, 7,811,702 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:36 PM

What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? (4018 Views)

Poll: The Immediate Problem The Fg, States Should Tackle First?

Unemployment: 5% (4 votes)
Uninterrupting Power Supply: 42% (32 votes)
Corruption: 28% (22 votes)
Education Unrest / Affordable Education for all: 2% (2 votes)
Social Amenities (Roads, Water): 7% (6 votes)
Health Care Improvement / Regulation: 0% (0 votes)
Pollution: 0% (0 votes)
Industries / Currency Regulations: 0% (0 votes)
Injustice / Human Right: 1% (1 vote)
Agriculture: 1% (1 vote)
Communication: 0% (0 votes)
Oil/ Petroleum Challenges: 0% (0 votes)
Spending and FG / State deficit: 1% (1 vote)
Others: 9% (7 votes)
This poll has ended

Salaries Of Federal And State Legislators - Vanguard / 3 Major Nigerian Problems Buhari Should Tackle - Dangote / Do You See Nigeria Changing Anytime Soon- Your View Is Welcomed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by blackspade(m): 11:15pm On Jul 31, 2009
Power & corruption.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by OPCman: 11:20pm On Jul 31, 2009
I 100% agree with Beaf. Nothing and absolutely nothing can be tackled or achieved until we restructure the country.

Although 'Restructure of the country' is not on the list of what to firstly tackled, the immediate problem The federal/state  government should tackle first is Injustice/Human rights.

Where there is justice and respect for human rights there will be NO maladministration and every Nigerians will be equal before the law, therefore, less corruption, people will have self confidence and self development.

Through justice Nigeria will be restructured (which is what we all want)

Through justice and respect for human rights- people would be able to protest against bad government/stolen votes without intimidation or afraid of being killed

Through justice there will be less or zero tolerance on corruption
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by illusion2: 11:57pm On Jul 31, 2009
corruption. . .d root of all 'evil' problems in Nigeria angry
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by Dondoo: 1:17am On Aug 01, 2009
My answe to your question,

1. Corruption

2. Corruption

3.Corruption
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by Mublock90: 9:10am On Aug 01, 2009
The power sector is directly linked to industries and Unemployment. So it has to be a Priority , nevertheless Corruption has to be tackled so it won't hamper that process.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by adigun101: 11:33am On Aug 01, 2009
between power supply and corruption. Power supply will empower Nigerians, provide employment and boost the economy instantly. Corruption eradication will then ensure the that we have credible individuals in public positions will in turn move the nation foward. I believe that with this two issues sorted, Nigeria will experience exponetial changes in many areas.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by jamace(m): 2:38pm On Aug 01, 2009
Tackle CORRUPTION and we would have solved 75% of our problems.

What has corruption not stalled in this country - Un-interrupted power supply, politics, employment, infrastructural development or Education? Just name them.

I bet you, if corruption is not tackled, all our efforts at development will remain a big dream.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by jamace(m): 3:35pm On Aug 01, 2009
Uninterrupted Power Supply. This is very important, no doubt. But why have we been having interrupted/epileptic power supply in Nigeria despite the huge budget allocation to NEPA/PHCN year in, year out? The allocated funds are misappropriated due to corruption.

Unemployment. How many employment parastatals(?)/Programmes have the govt put in place to sovle this problem of unemployment, so far? I can only remember NAPEP, NDE(?), NEEDS (Please help me name the others because the names continue to change with every govt). How have they fared? Woefull! Corruption has made them not to achieve the objectives. How? The officials use the fund meant for the programmes to better themselves economically.

Education. What is the state of education today in Nigeria? Bribe to get admission, bribe to pass your exams and bribe to secure your good grades. No wonder, we have so many "Toronto" certificates everywhere (Apologies to those who have genuine certificates and grades). Sometimes, when I hear employers requesting for candidates with at least Second Class Upper to apply for employment, I laugh because it is all EDE ( Employee Decieve Employer).

Social Amenitie. How can there be social amenities when budgets are not executed to logical conclusions? We see bare-faced misappriopriation ( or is it misapplication?) of funds. Wallahi, corruption done kill us!
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by jamace(m): 4:10pm On Aug 01, 2009
Health Care Improvement. Which improvements do you expect when budgets are not implemented? Instead, officials wait for end of year to share the booty. Well, I don't need to remind you of the inglorious exit of one Health Minister in Nigeria on a booty sharing formular that backfired. Here again we see corruption militating against improvement in our health care sector.

Pollution. Which type of pollution are we talking about here - Industrial or what? Where are the industries to pollute the environment when most have packed up due to high running-cost on power, caused by the corruption in the Power Sector? If it is pollution from exhaust of OKADA and KABA-KABU, it is the poor economy caused by corruption that has made most of the owners not to have the resources to do maintenance on them. Most of the KABU-KABUs on our roads are the "I will make it in Jesus Name" or "No Food for Lazy Man" type. grin Infact, corruption has led to abject poverty in the land to the extent that most citizens can only afford Tokunbo items. (In fact, the day I saw people buying Tokunbo pants and bra at a Bend Down Boutique, I almost wept shocked). Nigeria is now a dumping ground for any imaginable Tokunbo items. What a pity! sad Tell me, why won't there be pollution in the land?
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by jamace(m): 5:05pm On Aug 01, 2009
Oil/Petroleum Challenges. Why are they challenges in this sector when it is the major source of revenue for the country? Why are the refineries not working? They are not working because of corruption. Apart from the fact that the oil wells/blocs are shared among our so-called leaders, funds allocated for the turn- around - maintenance of our refineries are used by the officials to turn their financial fortunes around. In fact, this is the engine room of corruption in Nigeria. Why did I say this? Because the refineries are not working up to 50% of their production capacity, and what is more appalling is that the little produced from this moribund refineries are recycled and resold to nigerians as imported refined products, with subsidy paid and collected by the same NNPC officials. Kai, corruption has hampered our development in this area seriously. We just have to tackle corruption first before the problem in this sector can be resolved.

Spending and FG/State Deficit. Do our leaders spend our budgetted monies? On what and where, when we have decayed infrastructures all over the place courtesy of the labour of our heroes past? . How can one incure deficit on a budget not implemented? Abeg, my people "Show me a virgin in a maternity ward". Except they spent the monies on themselves and for themselves, I have not seen infrastructures put in place to show implementation of budgets, except in a few states. I have seen our leaders building/buying mansions allover the world. I have seen them go for bithday parties abroad. Imagine that! shocked. I learnt many of them have intimidating amount of money in their personal bank accounts, both home and abroad. I think, Instead of deficits, We should be talking about unspent budget monies. I smell corruption everywhere here. This again shows that corruption is the monster derailing effective implementation of budgets, so we should eliminate corruption first and all will almost be well.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by jamace(m): 5:51pm On Aug 01, 2009
[b]Others.[/b]Whichever field or area we look at, they are all down and out due to corruption. Even our religious institutions are riddled with corruption. Imagine being labelled one of the most religious and corrupt nations in the world, at the same time. What a contradiction!
Shall we talk about national elections? I percieve the stench of corruption too cry.

Therefore, from all the problem areas posited for consideration in this thread, corruption remains the bane of their successful implementation or functionality. So, I strongly suggest the govt should focus on corruption first. It is the cankerworm and common enemy.

To eradicate or bring corruption to the barest minimum, the Govt of Nigeria needs to deploy every arsenal within its constitutional powers to fight the monster called corruption that has become the main cog in our wheel of progress. Anti-Corruption agencies like the EFCC and ICPC should be mobilised, empowered and given the free hand to deal ruthlessly with corrupt officials and private persons. The judiciary should please give the anti-corruption agencies full cooperation in order for this fight to be successful. The Federal Govt should liaise with other countries and international anti-corruption agencies in this great battle.

Thank you all.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by dean2725: 9:45pm On Aug 01, 2009
corruption, corruption and corruption
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by yousouph(m): 7:50am On Aug 02, 2009
It is known fact that corruption affects any meaningful development in Nigeria but the problem is who is going to end or reduce it at bearest minimal? We all see what EFCC did. Despite arrest here and there, nothing to show for it. To me, we need complete overhauling of the government otherwise, we will continue to sing same song everytime.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by nsibidi101(m): 9:37pm On Aug 02, 2009
UNINTERRUPTED POWER SUPPLY ABEG.Many individuals know little about our country talk less of politics.they are not afforded this luxury because they have little or no access to power supply.give naija people power to run their bizness and they'll be eternally grateful.because of poor dissemination of information many peeps still dont what the heck your are talking about when u say 'basic human rights'.give them power and many peeps will be informed and show more interest in fighting corruption.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by nsibidi101(m): 9:37pm On Aug 02, 2009
UNINTERRUPTED POWER SUPPLY ABEG.Many individuals know little about our country talk less of politics.they are not afforded this luxury because they have little or no access to power supply.give naija people power to run their bizness and they'll be eternally grateful.because of poor dissemination of information many peeps still dont what the heck your are talking about when u say 'basic human rights'.give them power and many peeps will be informed and show more interest in fighting corruption.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by RichyBlacK(m): 6:58am On Aug 03, 2009
Education!

The illiteracy rate in Nigeria is too high.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by back2back(f): 10:29am On Aug 03, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Education!

The illiteracy rate in Nigeria is too high.

That is just after-effect of the problem!

Yaradua should do below:

Make annoucement that he was fraudulent selected to be President!

Cancel all existing Parties and ask for people to create only 4.

Ban anyone that has had Political office since they were born from election!

Conduct fresh election that is option A4: open ballot like IBB.

We can take it from their.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by IGWEUSA(m): 10:52am On Aug 03, 2009
[1] Lets start with the adoptation of true Federalism and 100% regional resource control.

[2] CORRUPTION.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by gent2ken(m): 6:31pm On Aug 03, 2009
ODG, I just pray whatever my Nigeria pple says here will be done, hun
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by Afam4eva(m): 10:26am On Aug 04, 2009
Most nigerians don't see the problem with nigeria from the roots. Every thing that's happening in nigeria whether bad Power supply, bad roads, unimpressive super eagles, olympic flop etc all boils down to curruption. Once we tackle corruption, every other thing will start working.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by OPCman: 10:48am On Aug 04, 2009
afam4eva:

Most nigerians don't see the problem with nigeria from the roots. Every thing that's happening in nigeria whether bad Power supply, bad roads, unimpressive super eagles, olympic flop etc all boils down to curruption. Once we tackle corruption, every other thing will start working.

People talk about corruption as if CORRUPTION is exclusive to Nigeria. Brothers, corruption is everywhere, it runs in every human beings blood. Corruption is a means of surviving, but when corruption becomes greed then it become abnormal. Corruption becomes issue in Nigeria because Nigerians are greedy. Corruption becomes pervalent in Nigeria because of what people known as 'national cake'- the oil money which makes every Nigerians lazy and live beyond their means.

If people want to talk of the root of Nigeria problem, they should talk about the 'SYSTEM'[i][/i]. Nigeria is NOT nation but a country of nations, therefore there should be NOTHING like National police, National army, National or Federal roads, nothing like National power (electricity), Nothing like National Assembly but House of Representatives (of each ethnic nationalities) and authetic leaders from each nationalities (senate)

If we correct the system Nigeria will be great!
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by Afam4eva(m): 11:04am On Aug 04, 2009
OPCman:

People talk about corruption as if CORRUPTION is exclusive to Nigeria. Brothers, corruption is everywhere, it runs in every human beings blood. Corruption is a means of surviving, but when corruption becomes greed then it become abnormal. Corruption becomes issue in Nigeria because Nigerians are greedy. Corruption becomes pervalent in Nigeria because of what people known as 'national cake'- the oil money which makes every Nigerians lazy and live beyond their means.

If people want to talk of the root of Nigeria problem, they should talk about the 'SYSTEM'[i][/i]. Nigeria is NOT nation but a country of nations, therefore there should be NOTHING like National police, National army, National or Federal roads, nothing like National power (electricity), Nothing like National Assembly but House of Representatives (of each ethnic nationalities) and authetic leaders from each nationalities (senate)

If we correct the system Nigeria will be great!

And how did the cureent system come into place? no be mago mago?
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by jumobi1(m): 11:11am On Aug 04, 2009
Unemployment, but 1st step, we need a government that is not corrupt because If Nigeria has U.S.A's GDP tomorrow, the people would still suffer cos the govt would steal the money. There is no reason we shouldn't have our own refineries. The govt should also give more disbursement to oil producing states. Disbursement should be given to states based on how much they financially contribute to the country. Secondly, we need to invest in other cash crops (Agriculture) and also look for ways to increase our exports. This increases our GDP and also creates jobs. An increased GDP should gradually address our deficit as long as we have responsible govt. Increased revenue would create funds to improve transportation. Think about how much money Nigerians waste going to work and coming home? Time is money. If transportation was better, the time spent on the road would be spend making money. Power isn't an immediate priority because business can still thrive with Power. Several 3rd world countries have better power supply than Nigeria. The reason Nigeria has poor power supply is because of corruption.  Then we should address education, amenities, and health care. When the economy gets better then we can address currency/industry regulation.
Human rights takes a while. When most of the masses(lower and to an extent mid class) are educated then we can address human rights.

Pollution is a luxury that only developed countries can effectively address.
Communication is something private entities can address.

More so, all these useless Emirs Oba's and Eze's should lose their titles. They don't serve a purpose and they are unaffordable.
I also think in the future, politicians should be paid more if Nigeria can afford it. This would prevent corruption in the future. (I don't know how much they get in bonuses but their salaries seem inadequate)
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by Afam4eva(m): 12:30pm On Aug 04, 2009
jumobi1:

Unemployment, 1st step. We need a government that is not corrupt because If Nigeria has U.S.A's GDP tomorrow, the people would still suffer cos the govt would steal the money. There is no reason we shouldn't have our own refineries. The govt should also give more disbursement to oil producing states. Disbursement should be given to states based on how much they financially contribute to the country. Secondly, we need to invest in other cash crops (Agriculture) and also look for ways to increase our exports. This increases our GDP and also creates jobs. An increased GDP should gradually address our deficit as long as we have responsible govt. Increased revenue would create funds to improve transportation. Think about how much money Nigerians waste going to work and coming home? Time is money. If transportation was better, the time spent on the road would be spend making money. Power isn't an immediate priority because business can still thrive with Power. Several 3rd world countries have better power supply than Nigeria. The reason Nigeria has poor power supply is because of corruption.  Then we should address education, amenities, and health care. When the economy gets better then we can address currency/industry regulation.
Human rights takes a while. When most of the masses(lower and to an extent mid class) are educated then we can address human rights.

Pollution is a luxury that only developed countries can effectively address.
Communication is something private entities can address.

More so, all these useless Emirs Oba's and Eze's should lose their titles. They don't serve a purpose and they are unaffordable.
I also think in the future, politicians should be paid more if Nigeria can afford it. This would prevent corruption in the future. (I don't know how much they get in bonuses but their salaries seem inadequate)

Why do people like tackling isuues from the top instead of the root. There's no way there will be employment for the poor if the system is corrupt. They will keep giving every avalaible space to their relations.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by Fhemmmy: 3:04pm On Aug 04, 2009
afam4eva:

Why do people like tackling isuues from the top instead of the root. There's no way there will be employment for the poor if the system is corrupt. They will keep giving every avalaible space to their relations.

You are very right, however, like someone once mentioned, Corruption in Nigerian cant be eliminated, but can be reduced, after which, i dont agree with unemployment as the first issue to be dealt with, cos how will companies be able to hire people, when they are using.spending money that could have hired people on buying gas into their generator, so i so much blv that Electricity is so important. Take a manufacturing plant for example, do that math of how much it cost them to run the plant in one month and see if that wont be more than enuf to hire an employee in that plant.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by Uchebobo: 6:09pm On Aug 04, 2009
jumobi1:

Why should politician be paid more in the future? Are they underpaid now to do there Job? They know the wage before hand, accepts the wage after election, I think they should do the Job. They are there to serve the people. If any is found being corrupt , he/she should be prosecuted by law.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by chidichris(m): 6:21pm On Aug 04, 2009
@topic,
if corruption is tackled in nigeria, it means all our problems are gone. in this case, tackling corruption means silving all our problems the same time which will be a generational miracle.
since it will be difficult to solve all our problems the same time, i choose power supply.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by Fhemmmy: 6:49pm On Aug 04, 2009
politicians to be paid more?
Who suggested that? you think they are underpaid as it is?
Common, what is the salary of this people, i think they are making way too much that necessary.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by jumobi1(m): 8:25pm On Aug 04, 2009
afam4eva:

Mistake. I edited my original post because i wrote it when i was sleepy. Corruption is obviously first because no matter what plans a govt wants to execute, if they are corrupt they wont be able to execute it,
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by Vealkyrie(f): 9:30pm On Aug 04, 2009
^^^^^^Unemployment
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by okunoba(m): 4:11am On Aug 05, 2009
power supply is the most important problem we have in Nigeria, without it few businesses will want to invest in Nigeria. I personally will like to set up a factory in Nigeria but the erratic power supply is a problem. Yes we are corrupt but some things still get done. Telecommunication was as bad as power but the problem was solved. If the present president can solve the power problem, Nigerian economy will grow and unemployment will be reduced by miles. The so called corrupt Obansanjo was able to do it with telecom, so we know it can be done regardless of corruption. The country needs electricity to create employment, without it most industries and businesses can`t survive. Hence the reason 4 the high unemployment.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by jamace(m): 6:50am On Aug 05, 2009
I can see from the polls above that corruption and power supply are running shoulder to shoulder as the desired problems to be solved immediately. I still hold we take on CORRUPTION as number one for elimination, else we will continue to pump huge amount in that waste pipe called PHCN (Please Hold Candle Now).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NNPC Should Be Scrapped - Olisa Agbakoba / Hausa Man Was Caught Trapping Vulture With Snuff In Onne / Julius Berger Barricades Causes Traffic Along Abuja Airport Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.