Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,331 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:26 AM

What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? (4017 Views)

Poll: The Immediate Problem The Fg, States Should Tackle First?

Unemployment: 5% (4 votes)
Uninterrupting Power Supply: 42% (32 votes)
Corruption: 28% (22 votes)
Education Unrest / Affordable Education for all: 2% (2 votes)
Social Amenities (Roads, Water): 7% (6 votes)
Health Care Improvement / Regulation: 0% (0 votes)
Pollution: 0% (0 votes)
Industries / Currency Regulations: 0% (0 votes)
Injustice / Human Right: 1% (1 vote)
Agriculture: 1% (1 vote)
Communication: 0% (0 votes)
Oil/ Petroleum Challenges: 0% (0 votes)
Spending and FG / State deficit: 1% (1 vote)
Others: 9% (7 votes)
This poll has ended

Salaries Of Federal And State Legislators - Vanguard / 3 Major Nigerian Problems Buhari Should Tackle - Dangote / Do You See Nigeria Changing Anytime Soon- Your View Is Welcomed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:20pm On Aug 13, 2009
Sagamite:

Good points, but I don't think first and second are really practical and, in the case of the first, in the best interest of functionality.

I don't think graduates would want a job of standing in the sun and being shot at, so the first point would lead to recruitment difficultities, if not turnover/retainment problems. We need graduates at higher roles and those that can read and write very well in junior roles who would be provided with additional training as stated in your third and fourth points.

Secondly, I don't think we can afford to pay N100K per month to every officer.

Good points on the outcome of electricity provision.

If the jagudas in Abuja, Asaba, Port-Harcourt, Enugu, Ibadan, Minna, etc. stop stealing our wealth, we sure can afford it!

We pay greedy fat fools called senators millions of Naira every month, why can't we pay our policemen N100k per month?
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by Sagamite(m): 1:41am On Aug 14, 2009
Because there are less than 800 legislators and there are 400,000 policemen. Even if the legislators become volunteers, we will still not be able to afford it.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by 9jii(m): 6:25am On Aug 14, 2009
we are suviving curruption for decades,with enough power supply curruption is just a pintch TO Nigerian problems.i MEAN POWER SUPPLY.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by Horus(m): 7:08pm On Aug 14, 2009
If one wishes to know what the moral values and knowledge values of a neighborhood, nationhood, or human race will be many years from now, all he or she has to do to accurately predict it for years to come is check out the mental, spiritual, and physical conditions of THE FEMALES of the neighborhood, nationhood, or ethic race, and whatever the condition of the females is, will be the condition of the people for many years yet to come, unless there is a major change by political revolution in the nation that makes changes for the better immediately or there be an education revolution for the better, where all the people get taught what they need to know for survival, longer life, and better living which includes sufficient work and jobs for livelihood.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by Sagamite(m): 10:57pm On Aug 14, 2009
Horus:

If one wishes to know what the moral values and knowledge values of a neighborhood, nationhood, or human race will be many years from now, all he or she has to do to accurately predict it for years to come is check out the mental, spiritual, and physical conditions of THE FEMALES of the neighborhood, nationhood, or ethic race, and whatever the condition of the females is, will be the condition of the people for many years yet to come, unless there is a major change by political revolution in the nation that makes changes for the better immediately or there be an education revolution for the better, where all the people get taught what they need to know for survival, longer life, and better living which includes sufficient work and jobs for livelihood.

Bleep me! I never knew bollocks takes this long to write.

No doubt, I am right that you are one of the dumbest 5 people in NL.

Continue posting waves of brain-farts.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by sjeezy8: 8:07pm On Aug 15, 2009
9jii.:

we are suviving curruption for decades,with enough power supply curruption is just a pintch TO Nigerian problems.i MEAN POWER SUPPLY.

Nigeria hasn't been surviving Corruption cause if they did then there would be a better economy, 24/7 Light,better health care, Education, and NO MILITANTS !!!!!

Nigerians back home dont know how bad of a state Nigeria is in. In England and America everyone is saying its a recession, but they are just alarming to make a big deal before it gets worse. But Nigeria has been in a Economic Depression for the last 30 years and fail to realize the gravity of it until they live abroad.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by strangleyo: 2:03am On Aug 16, 2009
Nigerian government should tackle itself first. Preferably a two foot sliding challenge.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Aug 17, 2009
nothing will work , no sector will work as long as NEPA is still as crazy as those who are ruling, untill they light up the nation there will be no tangible progress ! 'let there be light' and any other thing can follow.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by jaybee3(m): 1:07pm On Aug 17, 2009
Justice system
Fix justice system and things will run smoothly
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by ScanLess: 3:10pm On Aug 17, 2009
THE FIRST THING THE FG AND SGs SHOULD TACKLE IS THEMSELVES, LETS FACE IT , THE POLITICAL CLASS IS NIAJAS BIGGEST PROBLEM NOT NEPA. BAD LEADERSHIP IS THE REASON NEPA IS NOT WORKING , THE REASON NOTHING ELSE IS WORKING IN THE COUNTRY, THE REASON FOR ALL THE INSECURITY, AND ALL THE MADNESS GOING ON IN THE COUNTRY.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by rethink: 5:48pm On Aug 17, 2009
I have always liked to solve problems it gives me joy that there is always a solution to a problem. The first thing to tackle by the

Federal Government

Give the states government the true right of statehood in a federal system.
Now this should be done in stages or you could have what I call prerequisitial Federal state. i would explain what i mean later.

Now let me tell you why you need to do this. some states in Nigeria have the population of countries in Europe that have high GDP and massive reserves. So we need to make state work so that the Federation stands.

what now Actually is happening is that the Federation is working for the state to stand so we see massive corruption.

what we need now is for the state to work for the Federation.

The FEDERATING states must have a reason to exist in the Nigerian Federation. Instead of the state waiting for the national cake it is making its flour or butter to contribute to its national Cake.

WE MUST GET RID OF SHARING THE NATIONAL CAKE MENTALITY IT DOES NOT BENEFIT US.

We must however have in perspective the reason why some leaders would feel that touching this is not good. No leader would want Nigeria to split under its regime. The fear of having a private army in the state is another one. you can imagine some state would have massive incomes and oil states would have to deal with companies.

So the fears are

1) States governor could have a private army
2) Some states could be Cheated by multinationals Mineral resources
3) The Federal civil service would be very difficult to maintain.

If you look from the above fear already

some state governor there mlitias already
The multinatils companies are happy having an easy day because all they do is to spend small monies and watch the rural poor fight with the FG
The federal civil service is filled with corrupt people that are making people more corrupt so no amount of money you spend will ever satify them.

The duty of the FG is to make sure that each state is loyal to the Federation. Now to the solution to the problem

SOLUTION

METHOD

1) FEDERALISM IN PHASES

2) PREREQUISITE STATEHOOD

FEDERALISM IN PHASES

This i suggest the federal government hand picks states in the six geo political region.  the states would be used as a guinea pig. If the states can stand the next face will be implemented.

So in essence

states would be watched on the following

1) Power
2) Road
3) Water Suppply
4) Security (law and order)
5) Judicial service
6) Ability to pay its Revenues to the federation account
6) ability to conduct an election and identication

all this areas will be watched by a federal committe over a period of time if any of the states fail they will revert back.

The Second method is

PREREQUISITE STATEHOOD

With this is very simple if any states want to go completely as a true Federal state then you must provide the following for 8years

1) Power
2) Road
3) Water Suppply
4) Security (law and order)
5) Judicial service
6) Ability to pay its Revenues to the federation account
7) ability to conduct an election and identication
cool Build houses for its state citizens
9) Able to have an efficient transport system

The result will bring people to work hard rather than rob the federal purse.

FORGOT THE IMPORTANT ALL RESOURCES WILL BE GIVEN TO THE STATES TO HANDLE
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by Uchebobo: 9:24pm On Aug 17, 2009
If this request goes to the cleaners on the senate floor; How do the FG source for fund to build a more reliable power supply system?

My radial indicates uninterrupt power supply as the most pressing issue.

Do you agree with other contributors ? if not, please share what you think.

Your voice will be heard this time.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by rethink: 2:26pm On Aug 18, 2009
The FG does not need to handle the power Issue. Reason is that there is a Army of companies and accomplices that are there ready to strike when money is released by the FG.

The FG would hands off states so that state would provide there own power.

You see the state Governor are having a field day what they are doing now is JUST waiting for money from the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT atleast most of them. so what you need is to immediately reverse the whole game.

You (state Government) Do the work and I(Federal) collect my tax.

Know this the Elite are the ones that put your Governors there and because there is money that comes from the federal government the elite are first settle before you or I see anything.

So if you reverse the trend this is what will happen the elite would still support but they will have to work to get money from the state and no more from the centre federal government.
Re: What In Your View Is The Immediate Problem The Federal and State Governments Should Tackle First? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Aug 22, 2009
sjeezy8:

OMG I am sad to say Nigerians are so facking dumb like seriously, how does electricity stop politicians from taking money. I mean shet Nepa only take light because corrupt Nigerian politicians take the money that needs to be put into new technologies for power supply i mean DUH.WTF  now i see what everyone is talkin about, when they say Nigeria can't change if Nigerians dont change. The government does only what the Citizens allow them to do. It seems everyone is OK with corruption but need light, soon Ghana will supply light and money will still be stolen by the Government because everyone thinks Electricity is the problem.

It is not correct to state that the problem of inadequate power supply is caused by politicians embezzling money.   

The main problem of the parastatal responsible for suppying electricity in Nigeria(ECN, NEPA,PHCN)  has been and still is management.

The original goals of NEPA for instance were that it should develop and maintain an efficient, coordinated and economical system of electricity supply in all parts of Nigeria. Have management been able to achieve these goals? What are the issues that have prevented them from achieving these objectives? The management issues we are talking about here include coordination, utilisation of capacity,capital budgeting, billing and collection systems and security.

Coordination
Anybody that has resided in urban areas in the country for any length of time would notice that there is reckless development of towns and cities which cause grave probems at the disribution and consumption stage of electricity supply systems. We are talking about things like the establishment of cottage and small lindustries in predominantly residential areas. Clearly this causes transformers and cables to overload and eventually damage, all as a result of lack of ccoordination, as between NEPA officials and the local town planning authorities.

Capacity utilisation
To ensure that electricity is generated at the optimal level clearly there has to be proper maintenance which depends on  adequate supply of spare parts and skilled technical personnel. This has not aalways been the case as a result of foreign exchange limitations, and inadequate training capacity of the polytecnics and technical schools.
There is also the fact, for obvious climatic reasons, that the hydroelectric plants at Jebba, Shiroro and Kainji only operate efficiently during the rainy season, with low capacity during the dry season.

Capital budgeting.
Clearly the growth in electricity demand due to rapid growth of population  and industrialisation in recent years could only have been met if there were adequate provisions for the construction of more generatinng systems in previous developmental plans. This has not been so for a variety of reasons the most important of which is the narrowness of the Federal Governments revenue base due to over-dependence on oil.
Currently capacity is a meagre 4800 megawatts with a population of 150 million whereas South Africa generates 23000 megawatts with a population of 45,000 million.

Billing and collection
The PHCN has issues balancing its recurrent budget due to large debts owed them by large government organisations.

Asset security
There has been the recurring issue of misguided individuals who tamper with, vandalize, and steal PHCN equipnent like cables and transformers, The consequence of this is more bottlenecks at the distribution and consumption stages of electricity supply.

So in a nutshell, and contrary to what some may think, the challenges of electricity supply in Nigeria are best handled by the dismantling of the current Federal Government monopoly and regulation system, and the opening up of the sector to private company and individual state participation.
It has gone far beyond the issue of the FGN just pumping in more money or even prosecuting embezzlers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nuzo For House Of Representatives 2011. The Revolution. / These Two Men Misled Jonathan And Made Him To Lose This Election. / Breaking News:Plans To Arrest Yakub Dogara And His Loyal Reps Allegedly Underway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.