Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? (15071 Views)

Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome To Give $100m To God (Video) / Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by finofaya: 10:22am On May 13, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Which ones doesn't resonate with you?

I asked you 2 questions. Answer them first.
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by PastorAIO: 10:50am On May 13, 2016
wirinet:

PastorAIQ, please help me ask Mr olaadegbu the Objective morality in the above quotes, i am too appalled to debate the topic directly with him, i might get too angry angry and lose my cool.

Abeg o, Don't waste your cool on these debates. We are still in the debating level. Save your real energy and anger for ensuring that in the real world such barbarity is never implemented in our societies.
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:50am On May 13, 2016
PastorAIO:

Your failure to address the point that I made tells me that you cannot refute it so you just fart nonsense from your mouth/keyboard.

You cannot just say that I failed to refute your point you will have to say why and how I failed to refute it.

PastorAIO:

You were WRONG when you said that moral codes were arbitrary. We do not invent them.

What I said was that any standard of our own making can only be subjective and arbitrary. If you don't understand what I said you shouldn't go off on a tangent all you need to do is to ask for clarification.

PastorAIO:

If you cannot mention any names of anybody here on NL or further afield then just shut up your mouth and accept that you made yet another baseless claim.

If you haven't heard or read of the theory propagated by liberals that truth is relative then you should rather humble yourself and learn instead of exposing your ignorance on a public forum.

PastorAIO:

Hmm, Olaadegbu, the king of baseless claims. At least you seem to understand how different moral codes arise based on our knowledge/beliefs about the world.

If you had patiently read my past post you would realise that I acknowledged the different subjective moral codes of atheist evolutionists such as yourself who think it's alright to kill babies or to be racists, there are also religious fanatics who think that it is perfectly okay to murder people of other religions or other ethnicities because their religion allows it. but would your emotional outburst permit you to see through those steamed spectacles of yours? undecided

PastorAIO:

Even if only one is true, you still have to tell us how humans with their limited knowledge can know which one is true.

That is why I am here to tell you the truth. You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free.

PastorAIO:

So What!! How does what you wrote above address anything I've said. Some folks have indoctrinate themselves into believing that mass genocide and the slaughter of innocent women and babies is the will of God, but that has no bearing on the point I made. I'll repeat my point cos it seems you missed it.

- Based on our knowledge of the world our Sense of Morality is derived. Our knowledge of the world is not absolute and it grows every day, likewise our sense of morality cannot be absolute and it also evolves with our knowledge.

Who told you that our sense of morality is absolute. It is at best depraved and it is only when we submit ourselves to the absolute moral laws of God that we can have a sense of objective morality.

PastorAIO:

WRONG AND DAFT!!!

Every moral code makes sense within it's own world view.

Calm down don't burst the gasket. Which of the subjective moral codes I mentioned above makes sense except for those with depraved minds?

PastorAIO:

Biblical morality is as daft as the world view espoused in the bible. Unless you can claim that the bible is scientifically accurate in its world views then I may accept that it's moralities may be absolute.

Either you like it or not it is only the Christian worldview that can account for laws of morality, laws of nature and the laws of logic and if you think that laws of morality are just adopted social customs then tell me why what Hitler did was wrong?
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:06pm On May 13, 2016
PastorAIO:

Strange Gods are not equal to Graven Images. Haba!!

I have graven images hanging on the walls of my house, they are not gods and no one bows to them. They are images of people and things (found on the earth below and the heavens above) that delight me to look at.

Graven images referred to in Exodus 20:4 is not a prohibition against pictures generally it is only against any attempt to replace the worship of the Creator with worship of his creation or some created thing in creation. If you do this then it is blasphemy.
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:16pm On May 13, 2016
PastorAIO:

Bullcrap Infesting Black Lives Everywhere.

Have you heard of this before?cool

Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:19pm On May 13, 2016
PastorAIO:

So you prayed and a hand came from heaven and handed you a bible?

See as your pinocchio nose is big for the cartoon.

Believe the Bible to be saved, practise it to be holy read it to be wise.

Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:49pm On May 13, 2016
PastorAIO:

An atheist's view on life. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:50pm On May 13, 2016
wirinet:

Cattle stand at the slaughterhouse waiting for their turn. Cattle are dumb.

Sheep follow the "Judas" sheep to the slaughter. Sheep are dumb.

Atheists are waiting to die and don't do anything about it...
when they could find everlasting life, if they obeyed the gospel.
See if you can figure what sheep, cattle, and atheists have in common.

If you're an atheist and you think that I'm provoking you, you're right. I'm provoking you to think. This is not a game. It's more serious than a heart attack. Think about your eternity. See www.needGod.com for details of how to find everlasting life.
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:06pm On May 13, 2016
finofaya:

I asked you 2 questions. Answer them first.

You asked where I got the idea that the decalogue resonates with everyone and I say the BIBLE. Basic Information Before Leaving Earth. cool

Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:09pm On May 13, 2016
PastorAIO:

Abeg o, Don't waste your cool on these debates. We are still in the debating level. Save your real energy and anger for ensuring that in the real world such barbarity is never implemented in our societies.

If you are looking for barbarism you shouldn't look any further than the depiction below.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by PastorAIO: 1:15pm On May 13, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

You cannot just say that I failed to refute your point you will have to say why and how I failed to refute it.

You failed to refute my point by not even addressing it at all.

I'll repeat the point. 1)We do not create our morality. We discover it. 2) There is a system by which morality is derived and so it is NOT arbitrary.

What I said was that any standard of our own making can only be subjective and arbitrary. If you don't understand what I said you shouldn't go off on a tangent all you need to do is to ask for clarification.

But we do not invent our moral codes. They are not of our own making. So why are you making such a pointless remark. Nobody made any standard. And you are still wrong, because the fact still remains that all the moral codes subjective or whatever are NOT arbitrary. Our standards, whether we invent them or not are NOT arbitrary. We act according to our nature. We invent things according to a preset structure. You are wrong.

If you haven't heard or read of the theory propagated by liberals that truth is relative then you should rather humble yourself and learn instead of exposing your ignorance on a public forum.

No I haven't heard any liberals say any such thing. I've heard a few idiotss misquote relativism and spew stupities like 'Truth is relative'. I've seen equally dumb people go on a campaign for or against relativism based on such similar misunderstanding. However if you can point me to where you ever heard such a dumbassed thing, I'd be curious to read it.

If you had patiently read my past post you would realise that I acknowledged the different subjective moral codes of atheist evolutionists such as yourself who think it's alright to kill babies or to be racists, there are also religious fanatics who think that it is perfectly okay to murder people of other religions or other ethnicities because their religion allows it. but would your emotional outburst permit you to see through those steamed spectacles of yours? undecided

You're lying!! Where did I say it's okay to kill babies and be racist? I think you're getting confused now because the only text where I know that it is okay to kill babies and be racist is your bible.

That is why I am here to tell you the truth. You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free.

Since man is so depraved as you claim, how do you know that what you call the truth is the truth.

Who told you that our sense of morality is absolute. It is at best depraved and it is only when we submit ourselves to the absolute moral laws of God that we can have a sense of objective morality.

But how will you know that it is objective?

Calm down don't burst the gasket. Which of the subjective moral codes I mentioned above makes sense except for those with depraved minds?

Either you like it or not it is only the Christian worldview that can account for laws of morality, laws of nature and the laws of logic and if you think that laws of morality are just adopted social customs then tell me why what Hitler did was wrong?

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by PastorAIO: 1:16pm On May 13, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

If you are looking for barbarism you shouldn't look any further than the depiction below.

Naturally, God Own Country would take the lead in such acts of barbarity.
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by finofaya: 1:37pm On May 13, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

You asked where I got the idea that the decalogue resonates with everyone and I say the BIBLE. Basic Information Before Leaving Earth. cool

Right. Now answer the other question.
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by Brigance(m): 2:04pm On May 13, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Execution is different from murder. Execution is done lawfully while murder is the unlawful killing of a human life that you did not create. You can only take a life that you created. God has the right to take what He has given. When the law of the land is execution you cannot say that it is an unlawful killing. If God executes a judgment He has set who are you to appeal against it?

You do not have the right to murder an unborn baby for whatever reason the best one can do medically is to try to save them both. Only God has the right to take life that He has given. cool

I'm always enamored by the ways of god.

Quick question: is it morally right to withdraw education, health care and advancement support from my own child? After all, I gave them to him and I have the right to take what I've given.

Keep in mind that i love the lord and especially, his ways.
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by Brigance(m): 11:38am On May 14, 2016
Brigance:

Quick question: is it morally right to withdraw education, health care and advancement support from my own child? After all, I gave them to him and I have the right to take what I've given.

Olaadegbu, this is some silence.
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:58pm On May 14, 2016
PastorAIO:

You failed to refute my point by not even addressing it at all.

I'll repeat the point. 1)We do not create our morality. We discover it. 2) There is a system by which morality is derived and so it is NOT arbitrary.

That is your subjective opinion and you are entitled to it.

PastorAIO:

But we do not invent our moral codes. They are not of our own making. So why are you making such a pointless remark. Nobody made any standard. And you are still wrong, because the fact still remains that all the moral codes subjective or whatever are NOT arbitrary. Our standards, whether we invent them or not are NOT arbitrary. We act according to our nature. We invent things according to a preset structure. You are wrong.

Those are values that you are subjected why force them on me?

PastorAIO:

No I haven't heard any liberals say any such thing. I've heard a few idiotss misquote relativism and spew stupities like 'Truth is relative'. I've seen equally dumb people go on a campaign for or against relativism based on such similar misunderstanding. However if you can point me to where you ever heard such a dumbassed thing, I'd be curious to read it.

You don't believe others should impose their moral codes on you but you contradict yourself by imposing your own moral code on others, that is self refuting.

PastorAIO:

You're lying!! Where did I say it's okay to kill babies and be racist? I think you're getting confused now because the only text where I know that it is okay to kill babies and be racist is your bible.

You don't subscribe to absolute morality that all people should obey so what is stopping you from committing murder? undecided

PastorAIO:

Since man is so depraved as you claim, how do you know that what you call the truth is the truth.

Read the Bible to be wise, believe it to be saved and practise it to be holy. wink

PastorAIO:

But how will you know that it is objective?

When you get born again the Spirit of truth will guide you into all truth and it would resonate with your spirit. smiley
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:00pm On May 14, 2016
PastorAIO:

Naturally, God Own Country would take the lead in such acts of barbarity.

No thanks to the liberal movement such as the Democrats who despise the absolute, objective standard of behaviour set forth in the Scriptures.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:05pm On May 14, 2016
finofaya:

Right. Now answer the other question.

I believe I have addressed your objections and if not say where exactly you need clarifications. cool
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:11pm On May 14, 2016
Brigance:

God has the right to take your life and you do not have the right to take the life of even your child because you did not create it. You will have to become a child of God before you begin to enjoy the benefits of His children. A servant does not abide in the house forever by a son does. cool
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:13pm On May 14, 2016
Brigance:

Olaadegbu, this is some silence.

Silence is golden. cool
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by Brigance(m): 1:44pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

God has the right to take your life and you do not have the right to take the life of even your child because you did not create it. You will have to become a child of God before you begin to enjoy the benefits of His children. A servant does not abide in the house forever by a son does. cool

Seems to me that you circumvented the specific question I asked. please do read it again.

As much as you can help it, I'd appreciate a polar-fashioned response.

You said I'll have to be a child of god to enjoy these blessings? coupla ruckus...

1. What are these benefits?
2. Are these benefits exclusive to a child of God?
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by Brigance(m): 1:48pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Silence is golden. cool

Many children of God won't agree with this between the hours of 7am and 2pm tomorrow.

Infact, I have an uncanny feeling you'd wouldn't either.
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:19pm On May 14, 2016
Brigance:

Seems to me that you circumvented the specific question I asked. please do read it again.

As much as you can help it, I'd appreciate a polar-fashioned response.

You said I'll have to be a child of god to enjoy these blessings? coupla ruckus...

1. What are these benefits?

Eternal life.

Brigance:

2. Are these benefits exclusive to a child of God?

Yes.
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by Brigance(m): 2:29pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Eternal life.

Yes.
Seems fair.
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by Brigance(m): 2:33pm On May 14, 2016
Brigance:

Beats me how you successfully ignored this.
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:44pm On May 14, 2016
Brigance:

Beats me how you successfully ignored this.

It is wrong.
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by Brigance(m): 3:57pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

It is wrong.

God gives life, takes it back. We all say Atta-boyGod. After all, it is His.

I strive to do as God does. After all, He's The perfect Moral Agent.

I give support to my child, I withdraw it. After all, its mine. No Brigance, that's wrong.

Seems to me there's a standard I'm oblivious to. Right sir?
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:04pm On May 14, 2016
Brigance:

God gives life, takes it back. We all say Atta-boyGod. After all, it is His.

I strive to do as God does. After all, He's The perfect Moral Agent.

I give support to my child, I withdraw it. After all, its mine. No Brigance, that's wrong.

Seems to me there's a standard I'm oblivious to. Right sir?

If you are to do as God does you have to create your own child from scratch. cool
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by Brigance(m): 4:18pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

If you are to do as God does you have to create your own child from scratch. cool

What else do I do when I make coitus with my wife without contraceptives?

Besides, can you reconcile your above statement with this below:

Matthew 5:48 (NIV)

"Be Perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by PastorAIO: 6:18pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

No thanks to the liberal movement such as the Democrats who despise the absolute, objective standard of behaviour set forth in the Scriptures.

Yeah, they should have struck the babies heads against the rocks.
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by PastorAIO: 6:28pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

That is your subjective opinion and you are entitled to it.
And who is giving me the entitlement? You?

Those are values that you are subjected why force them on me?

You continue to lie and delude yourself. Where did I force any values on you? Are you not the one extolling your barbaric stone age values on this thread.

You don't believe others should impose their moral codes on you but you contradict yourself by imposing your own moral code on others, that is self refuting.

Liar Liar!! Where did I say others shouldn't impose their moral codes on others. And further more, where did I impose my moral code on others. I haven't even mentioned what my moral code is, or whether or not I have one. You're just a fantasist. You and your fantasy god.

You don't subscribe to absolute morality that all people should obey so what is stopping you from committing murder? undecided

My personal subjective inner moral compass most likely would stop me from committing such vile acts as you and your god are wont to commit.

Read the Bible to be wise, believe it to be saved and practise it to be holy. wink

When you get born again the Spirit of truth will guide you into all truth and it would resonate with your spirit. smiley

Did you get this spirit before reading the bible or after reading the bible? If the spirit came after then how did you understand the bible before it came? If the spirit came before, then how did you get the spirit without even reading the bible?
Re: Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? by Brigance(m): 6:37pm On May 14, 2016

Did you get this spirit before reading the bible or after reading the bible? If the spirit came after then how did you understand the bible before it came? If the spirit came before, then how did you get the spirit without even reading the bible?

I haven't thought in this direction before.

However, a time before now, I'd have said the Spirit came on me as soon as I became born again..

Funny enough, he'd probably agree with me..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

16 Short Sermons To Change Your Life / Is This The Future? (photos) / 2019 Rhapsody Of Realities By Pastor Chris

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.