Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,445 members, 7,843,367 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment (40958 Views)

Gbajabiamila: Amendment Of CCB Act An Error, Will Not See The Light Of Day / Senate Suspends Amendment Of CCB Act (screenshot) / Division In Senate Over Amendment Of CCB Act (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by AntiWailer: 5:08pm On Apr 14, 2016
CFCman:

Your statement isn't quite accurate.

A vetoed bill requires the vote of a 2/3 majority of members of both the Senate and House of Reps to become law. Judging by recent developments, it looks like Saraki will garner the required number of votes in the Senate. Not too sure about the HOR.

You are right.

But 2/3rd can never happen in this case against a ruling Party.

If they get 2/3rd they can as well impeach the President.

So the case of Veto will never happen in Nigeria.

Senators who rubber stamp Party Position is actually more.
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Nobody: 5:09pm On Apr 14, 2016
BuddhaPalm:

What would happen if the president refuses to sign?

If he vetos the bill,2/3 of the NASS can override his veto and pass it into law

1 Like

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Nobody: 5:10pm On Apr 14, 2016
AntiWailer:

You are right.

But 2/3rd can never happen in this case against a ruling Party.

If they get 2/3rd they can as well impeach the President.

So the case of Veto will never happen in Nigeria.

Senators who rubber stamp Party Position is actually more.

let me refresh your memory
http://thewillnigeria.com/news/82-senators-pass-overwhelming-vote-of-confidence-on-saraki-ekweremadu-other-principal-officers/

2/3 of the senate is actually 73 but Saraki was able to get 82 cool cool cool

3 Likes

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Validated: 5:11pm On Apr 14, 2016
idnole4:
The president do not need to veto the bill. He only needs to keep it on the shelve where it belongs. He can just inform the press, he's studying it.

You need to understand that he has time limit to accent, otherwise, NASS would do the needful.
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by dklex(m): 5:11pm On Apr 14, 2016
hibroym:
[color=#006600][/color]Yes o....APC has entered one chance by making Saraki 2 emerge as senate president.
Ds is another plot by PDP 2 takeover n 2019,if care is not taken Saraki may succeed d CCT trial wt d reactions of ds senate members.

I don't know what Nigerians buy from this PDP people that we never pay finish since, abi naa by force? Let my my people go.
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by dyydxx: 5:12pm On Apr 14, 2016
chukwudi44:

http://thewillnigeria.com/news/82-senators-pass-overwhelming-vote-of-confidence-on-saraki-ekweremadu-other-principal-officers/

Let him get 2/3 of the HOR first, then we can come and talk. grin
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Nobody: 5:12pm On Apr 14, 2016
dyydxx:

it is you that is already dreaming, they haven't even done this one yet, you are already saying immunity. You are truly deluded. Let's watch and see.

I repeat even if he does the impossible and pushes this amendment to law, which i say again is impossible in the current environment, It still would not affect him. He cannot escape prosecution

I am telling you a political fact.If the presidency continues to harass the principal officers of the NASS,they will amend the constitution and create immunities for themselves as well

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Nobody: 5:14pm On Apr 14, 2016
dyydxx:

Let him get 2/3 of the HOR first, then we can come and talk. grin

I thought you said ,it was not possible,i just showed you where it happened in the senate,una never see anything yet.This is called politics

3 Likes

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by AntiWailer: 5:14pm On Apr 14, 2016
chukwudi44:

Story.

That is why their numbers decrease by the day in the Court.

I know you like thieves in power but this is an exception.

A Government trying to fight corruption can not afford Armed Robber as a Senate President. There will always be conflict of interest.

So can you so me a favour please ?

Carry your shamelessness and GERARAHIA MEN !!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by greenify: 5:15pm On Apr 14, 2016
chukwudi44:
well done my brave senators!!! That amendment must be passed into law before the end of next month!!! lets speed it up and ensure it gets to the executive for assent before monday
Where were you last two week when fire was burning Bukola Saraki? You were no where to be found because of your shame. So u came out from your hiding place to show your stupidity just because of d senate bill. This attempt by Bukola Saraki is what will finally break his back. He is only fasten his judgement in d court because I know if he believes he understands politics than Buhari, he does not have d will and intelligence than Buhari. Don't forget he is an army.
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by omobaekiti: 5:15pm On Apr 14, 2016
erico2k2:

Who is the south easterners in the senate being embattled ?
my comment is based on my observation both on the street and on social media.
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by dyydxx: 5:15pm On Apr 14, 2016
chukwudi44:

I am telling you a political fact.If the presidency continues to harass the principal officers of the NASS,they will amend the constitution and create immunities for themselves as well

story, why can't they just impeach the president? which is easier?

you are just deluded.

Like I said let's watch and see

4 Likes

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by francisbiz: 5:15pm On Apr 14, 2016
Beeman1:
U are on point though. Buhari shouldn't have kept mute when the NASS saga was on. Hmmm.
As if he had the powers to do anything. una go just de talk sometimes like illiterates.

1 Like

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by focus7: 5:15pm On Apr 14, 2016
gebest:
Saraki is smarter than APC, he is currently spending on the senators, if APC refused to spend money like Saraki is doing PDP will take over d National Assembly
You are so clueless to discern that this is not about Saraki being smarter than APC but Nigeria and its future, about your children and great grandchildren, then you may still be alive or even dead but your children will live to surfer the pain of the evil you hailed today.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by anigbajumo(m): 5:16pm On Apr 14, 2016

Not in good mood but let me contribute my view.

If u think this country is going to be better for average Nigerian, u are only dreaming.

Imagine some basic aspects that we need constitutional amendments, the buch of thieves shunned it nd amend the bill that will strengthened them to steal our money legally.

PMB is the architect of these problem (by not interfere in NASS saga before the game is now unfold ), he is dancing to the tune now.

As for saraki,continue with that yer legacy,nemesis will catch you soon,Bloody thief.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by reflx(m): 5:16pm On Apr 14, 2016
when will this Zoo change!
ashamed to be associated with this mess!!!
adim weak ebe a
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by dyydxx: 5:16pm On Apr 14, 2016
chukwudi44:

I thought you said ,it was not possible,i just showed you where it happened in the senate,una never see anything yet.This is called politics

story, come back here when he has the votes
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by IVORY2009(m): 5:17pm On Apr 14, 2016
chukwudi44:

The 2/3 he talked about is very easy to get @ the moment, you know why, the Saraki group and the Pdp group will make up the 2/3 needed, Saraki is a Maradonna in making!

1 Like

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by enlightenedmind: 5:17pm On Apr 14, 2016
omenka:
This is nothing but treason. These criminals constitute a bigger threat to our democracy than anything else in this country.

These people need to be eliminated. Simply because they do not see what they have done wrong..

1 Like

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by igwegeorgiano(m): 5:20pm On Apr 14, 2016
MarysMeal:
Thieves!
they are all chromonical criminals
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Banter1(m): 5:20pm On Apr 14, 2016
TANTUMERGO007:

by calling them criminals, you insulting the people of this nation. grin we voted them to lead us, we never voted for criminals cheesy change is here to stay, deal with it
Question sir! are you in support of what is happening in the NASS?
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Achorise: 5:20pm On Apr 14, 2016
Nobody will rush to pass a law against jungle justice, maiming of street criminals, predominant burning of thieves who stole bread for survival.
No law has been passed to help or rehabilitate them or to meet their basic needs

Now all hands seemsto be on desk to to protect a political criminal, whose acts have deprived the common man the basic needs of life, which has led most of them into criminality.

Untill there's a revolution, this people will keep destroying the hope of the common man.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Achorise: 5:23pm On Apr 14, 2016
Nobody will rush to amend the law or pass a law against jungle justice, maiming of street criminals, predominant burning of thieves who stole bread for survival.
No law has been passed to help or rehabilitate them or to meet their basic needs

Now all hands seemsto be on desk to to protect a political criminal, whose acts have deprived the common man the basic needs of life, which has led most of them into criminality.

Untill there's a revolution, this people will keep destroying the hope of the common man.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Tarzaa(m): 5:24pm On Apr 14, 2016
When the entire nation cried for change, it came! I therefore believe that if the nation will cry because of foul play by few people who call themselves law makers, GOD will equally hear and answer!
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by rusher14: 5:25pm On Apr 14, 2016
UdehEbukaC:
Stop exposing your ignorance. The fact that the Act that established the CCB/CCT is amended to align with the Constitution which never intended a tribunal with criminal jurisdiction did not mean that a person who committed an offense in relation to Code of Conduct will no longer be prosecuted. We still have the High Court who have unfettered jurisdiction to handle such matters.

That's the old act.

Concerning the new act, nobody here has shed any light in terms of what they are truly driving at.

I simply stated what I think they intend to do.

Read again and try being more civil with your tone.

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by LordClem(m): 5:27pm On Apr 14, 2016
you have captured the dilemma facing the present administration. whatever the presidency decide to do now will surely have a boomerang effect.
PentiumPro:
APC in government
PDP in power.
Buhari messed up with his ideology of I'm for everybody and not for anybody. This embolden Saraki to carry out the coup against APC and Buhari stand on non-interference in how NASS leadership emerged.
He is paying the price.

1 Like

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Nobody: 5:27pm On Apr 14, 2016
chukwudi44:

just wait and see!!! Buhari wants a tool to control the legislators. They will now unite and teach him some lessons in politics.The legislators know it is Saraki today and it can be any one of them tomorrow.

As for Tinubu,this is national politics and far beyond him.He is only a local champion
Presidential vetoes are very difficult to override. If Buhari decides to veto the law which i know he will,there is no way saraki can muster the 240 house of reps votes to override the veto. Also laws passed by the national assembly have to wait for 21 days before they can have the force of law. So during this period, the president has the power to return the bill to the national assembly informing them about his reservations about it and why he cannot assent to it. They are then forced to reexamine it, and take a vote again. This window gives the president to exercise his leverage and power to either get it shot down or altered. So you see there are so many political games the the president can play to get his way. In a presidential system, the national assembly is no match for the executive even if they are from a different party and you are here busy screaming "Hail saraki". grin Also underestimate Tinubu's power at your peril

4 Likes

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by odikimi: 5:29pm On Apr 14, 2016
CFCman:
The constitution bars the National Assembly from making retroactive laws (i.e. ex post facto).

Thus, even if the proposed amendment is passed by both chambers, vetoed by the president, and the NASS overrides the veto with a 2/3 majority in both houses, the law would not apply to Saraki's case because his case commenced before the enactment of the law. Also, other pending cases before the CCT won't be affected by the proposed legislation.

The proposed new law will only take effect on future cases i.e. cases commenced after the day of enactment of the amendments.
that is misinterpretation of the constitution, the constitution only bars retrospective criminal laws. The CCT is not a criminal court neither is the Act a criminal Act

1 Like

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Banter1(m): 5:33pm On Apr 14, 2016
TANTUMERGO007:

by calling them criminals, you insulting the people of this nation. grin we voted them to lead us, we never voted for criminals cheesy change is here to stay, deal with it
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Nobody: 5:34pm On Apr 14, 2016
kropotkin2:
Presidential vetoes are very difficult to override. If Buhari decides to veto the law which i know he will,there is no way saraki can muster the 240 house of reps votes to override the veto. Also laws passed by the national assembly have to wait for 21 days before they can have the force of law. So during this period, the president has the power to return the bill to the national assembly informing them about his reservations about it and why he cannot assent to it. They are then forced to reexamine it, and take a vote again. This window gives the president to exercise his leverage and power to either get it shot down or altered. So you see there are so many political games the the president can play to get his way. In a presidential system, the national assembly is no match for the executive even if they are from a different party and you are here busy screaming "Hail saraki". grin Also underestimate Tinubu's power at your peril

continue to dream!!! You think the NASS members are fools to allow the laws that will later be used to witchhunt them.Let me tell you getting the 2/3 would be very easy as they will all be keen to saving their own heads,it is not just about Saraki but also about their own individual interests.About Tinubu,he has already been proven to be a featherweight politician so spare me all the sermon about him

3 Likes

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by olajizz01(m): 5:35pm On Apr 14, 2016
PentiumPro:
APC in government
PDP in power.
Buhari messed up with his ideology of I'm for everybody and not for anybody. This embolden Saraki to carry out the coup against APC and Buhari stand on non-interference in how NASS leadership emerged.
He is paying the price.
He is really paying the price,Obasanjo was the most powerful civillian president in Nigeria ever,Obasanjo controlled all three arms of govt during his regime and i loved that because he knew that almost all our legislators and judges were criminals,but unfortunately Obasanjo himself is a bad person,had it been he love Nigeria at heart,he has all power needed to make Nigeria a better country,i don't think Buhari is ready to governs this country that is full of criminals in all public positions ,any president who is ready to effect positive change in this country must ready to do that by hook or by crook,he must ready to flout our constitution that is full of loop-holes sometimes.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by odikimi: 5:41pm On Apr 14, 2016
amaechi1:
Some of us are celebrating this criminals who has looted this country, thinking that PMB will be a casualty. They have absolutely display their worth, not for the people but for themselves. Someone was accused of false assets declaration and embezzling the state fund. They best they can do is to change the law. How many law have they passed that will benefit the people. They woman right bill was through almost immediately.

What a shame!
What a pathetic comment. You praised Buhari for perpetrating impunity and you are castigating the senate.
No one is against the fight against corruption, what we are against is not following due process.
What have u said concerning the continue incarceration of the leader of the Shiites? Let's leave the corruption matter and talk about the impunity being perpetrated against the leader of the Shiites. Stop allowing emotions to control your reasoning. I recommend you to read "The Republic" by Plato on allowing your reasoning to be overwhelmed by emotions.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

A Twitter User Wants To Travel From Lagos To Kano For Obi/Kwankwaso Merger / Why NLC Won’t Protest Hike In Petrol, Electricity Tariffs Yet – Wabba / Noo Saro-Wiwa: We Had To Reassemble His Skeleton' - Ken Saro Wiwa's Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.