Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,129 members, 7,845,744 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 12:17 AM

Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment (40975 Views)

Gbajabiamila: Amendment Of CCB Act An Error, Will Not See The Light Of Day / Senate Suspends Amendment Of CCB Act (screenshot) / Division In Senate Over Amendment Of CCB Act (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Nobody: 5:41pm On Apr 14, 2016
chukwudi44:

continue to dream,If anyone still thinks of prosecution after this bill is passed into law,another bill would be introduced to confer immunity on the SP and speaker of the HOR cool cool cool
Again, if another bill is introduced to confer immunity on the Senate president and/or Speaker, it wouldn't affect Saraki's present case. It is still the same constitutional principle of ex post facto that bars laws from having retroactive effect.
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by anonimi: 5:45pm On Apr 14, 2016
omenka:
This is nothing but treason. These criminals constitute a bigger threat to our democracy than anything else in this country.

Would you also call this man a criminal of treason- having committed the same offence as the one for which Saraki is before the CCT grin
APC = HYPOCRISY = APC

PhockPhockMan:
But Buhari, in the document titled, ‘I pledge to Nigeria’ had also said that all his political appointees would only earn salaries and allowances as prescribed by the Revenue and Mobilisation and Fiscal Allocation Commission.

He said, “I pledge to publicly declare my assets and liabilities, encourage all my appointees publicly declare their assets and liabilities as a pre-condition for appointment. All political appointees will only earn the salaries and allowances determined by the RMFAC. I pledge, as Commander-in-Chief, to lead from the front and not behind in the comfort and security of Aso Rock, to boost the morale of fighting forces and the generality of all Nigerians.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/buhari-vp-fail-to-declare-assets-publicly/

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2837264_tmp9455fbimg14417792614671224457852_jpeg6dab6ee28b2554beeaa4f34b3a1f7675

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2827707_img20150905142543_jpegffcefa9483529d6999254d5bf1b3a54e

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by odikimi: 5:48pm On Apr 14, 2016
abbey621:
Are we not forgetting something here? Even if it passes both chambers, would it not require the signature of the president in order to become law?
I see why Zombies are called that name. Please go to the constitution and read about the passage of an Act by the NASS. I won't give you the section because you will end up blaming Jonathan for the section that empowers the NASS to override the presidential assent after 30days.

1 Like

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by ikwubaba: 5:49pm On Apr 14, 2016
chukwudi44:

sorry dear,the amendment would become law in the next 30 days!!! your text message cannot stop anything.Saraki is here to stay grin grin grin

And the law becomes retroactive?
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Carmal90(m): 5:50pm On Apr 14, 2016
Mynd44:

He might get 2/3 in the senate. He cant get half from the HOR. Not with Gbajabiamila as Majority Leader there

bros he will get more than two third in d HOR, gbaja cannot be more tinubu than REMI.
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Nobody: 5:51pm On Apr 14, 2016
odikimi:

that is misinterpretation of the constitution, the constitution only bars retrospective criminal laws. The CCT is not a criminal court neither is the Act a criminal Act

Although the Tribunal is not a traditional court, it has the power to impose criminal punishment of any party guilty of contravening any part of the Code of Conduct statute.
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Nobody: 5:51pm On Apr 14, 2016
CFCman:
The constitution bars the National Assembly from making retroactive laws (i.e. ex post facto).

Thus, even if the proposed amendment is passed by both chambers, vetoed by the president, and the NASS overrides the veto with a 2/3 majority in both houses, the law would not apply to Saraki's case because his case commenced before the enactment of the law. Also, other pending cases before the CCT won't be affected by the proposed legislation.

The proposed new law will only take effect on future cases i.e. cases commenced after the day of enactment of the amendments.

Ure the only reasonable person that I have seen on nairaland thumbs up

2 Likes

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by odikimi: 5:51pm On Apr 14, 2016
CFCman:

Again, if another bill is introduced to confer immunity on the Senate president and/or Speaker, it wouldn't affect Saraki's present case. It is still the same constitutional principle of ex post facto that bars laws from having retroactive effect.
How many times will u b tutored on the principle of retrospective law. The law talks about criminal laws and not civil pls. go and read yo constitution well.
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by IYANGBALI: 5:53pm On Apr 14, 2016
chukwudi44:

but I told you Saraki and Dogara would be elected senate president and speaker before it all happened against the wishes of your inconsequential local champion.I also told you that the lion Wike would slay the lizard of Ubima before it all happened? tongue tongue tongue tongue
what are you feeling like?

Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeew
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by khadii1: 5:53pm On Apr 14, 2016
omenka:
This is nothing but treason. These criminals constitute a bigger threat to our democracy than anything else in this country.

Sebi uniform men go take over ni.... awon o*e
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by odikimi: 5:54pm On Apr 14, 2016
2BB4CB3E:

Ure the only reasonable person that I have seen on nairaland thumbs up
birds of a feathers howl together
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by lokoloko84(m): 5:58pm On Apr 14, 2016
I just pity this country. When I say that this country is ripe for a brutal military coup,some ignoramus will say otherwise.These useless politicians have refused to learn from history.
We shall see,it is just a matter of time.
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Highvotage: 6:00pm On Apr 14, 2016
[quote author=odikimi post=44702438]
What a pathetic comment. You praised Buhari for perpetrating impunity and you are castigating the senate.
No one is against the fight against corruption, what we a.re against is not following due process.
What have u said concerning the continue incarceration of the leader of the Shiites? Let's leave the corruption matter and talk about the impunity being perpetrated against the leader of the Shiites. Stop allowing emotions to control your reasoning. I recommend you to read "The Republic" by Plato on allowing your reasoning to be overwhelmed by emotions.[/quote

You can see where you got it wrong, if NASS and you notice impunity to the part of PMB against Shiite as you've. claimed and NASS also believed this, why can't they call PMB and Nigeria Army to order or amend any amendable to correct the anomalies observed as they are doing now regarding CCB/cct act?
We are deceiving ourselves.
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Nobody: 6:06pm On Apr 14, 2016
chukwudi44:

continue to dream!!! You think the NASS members are fools to allow the laws that will later be used to witchhunt them.Let me tell you getting the 2/3 would be very easy as they will all be keen to saving their own heads,it is not just about Saraki but also about their own individual interests.About Tinubu,he has already been proven to be a featherweight politician so spare me all the sermon about him
Looking forward to quoting you when it happens
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Nobody: 6:09pm On Apr 14, 2016
odikimi:

How many times will u b tutored on the principle of retrospective law. The law talks about criminal laws and not civil pls. go and read yo constitution well.
The CCT has the power to impose criminal punishments
http://www.hipernetix.com/ccb/estbalishmentCCT.html
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by odikimi: 6:14pm On Apr 14, 2016
CFCman:

Although the Tribunal is not a traditional court, it has the power to impose criminal punishment of any party guilty of contravening any part of the Code of Conduct statute.
The constitution in section 36 (cool talks about the right against retrospective application of punishment. The constitution is against charging someone to court for an act which was not an offence when it was committed. The constitution goes against the legislation of retrospective criminal laws to enhance punishment. The legislature can make a law and backdate same provided the punishment can't be backdated.
In other angle, the CCT is not a superior court of record. Go and read the supreme court decisions about the Trade Dispute Act. This prompted the NASS to amend the constitution and include the Industrial Court to be among the superior courts of record.
This Saraki's case will take a long time to be finalized. I am speaking from the bar with my 6yrs experience as a learned man. So many issues will rise against the powers of the cct to cloth itself as a criminal court. Read the thread again and see the argument of my learned senior, Senator N. Peter about the contravention of the CCB act against the constitution and that of the ACJA which vested the cct with the power to use it's rules.
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by odikimi: 6:17pm On Apr 14, 2016
CFCman:
The CCT has the power to impose criminal punishments http://www.hipernetix.com/ccb/estbalishmentCCT.html
read the proviso, "where the act is a criminal offence"
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by chidiandre(m): 6:19pm On Apr 14, 2016
Pwayne2016:
Please oo my Senators lets pass Bubu matter for law ooo

he should be be banned from Travelling for de rest of diz year

Also put into law that a President should only travel 10 times in a Year
seriously wow cos of this post I have lost all hope in humanity did u think before you wrote this thing
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Esperooke(m): 6:19pm On Apr 14, 2016
chukwudi44:

sorry dear,the amendment would become law in the next 30 days!!! your text message cannot stop anything.Saraki is here to stay grin grin grin
Are you aware that the bill needs the assent of the President before it becomes law? Rejoice not yet, man!
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by dyydxx: 6:19pm On Apr 14, 2016
odikimi:

The constitution in section 36 (cool talks about the right against retrospective application of punishment. The constitution is against charging someone to court for an act which was not an offence when it was committed. The constitution goes against the legislation of retrospective criminal laws to enhance punishment. The legislature can make a law and backdate same provided the punishment can't be backdated.
In other angle, the CCT is not a superior court of record. Go and read the supreme court decisions about the Trade Dispute Act. This prompted the NASS to amend the constitution and include the Industrial Court to be among the superior courts of record.
This Saraki's case will take a long time to be finalized. I am speaking from the bar with my 6yrs experience as a learned man. So many issues will rise against the powers of the cct to cloth itself as a criminal court. Read the thread again and see the argument of my learned senior, Senator N. Peter about the contravention of the CCB act against the constitution and that of the ACJA which vested the cct with the power to use it's rules.

But the Supreme court already affirmed the jurisdiction of the CCT as a criminal court empowered by the Act setting it up to trial cases like Sarakis. So what exactly would be challenged again after the Supreme Court has ruled in its favour

1 Like

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by chidiandre(m): 6:20pm On Apr 14, 2016
wheres Murray Bruce and fayose ....they won't say anything o
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by odikimi: 6:23pm On Apr 14, 2016
dyydxx:

But the Supreme court already affirmed the jurisdiction of the CCT as a criminal court empowered by the Act setting it up to trial cases like Sarakis. So what exactly would be challenged again after the Supreme Court has ruled in its favour
Please tell me where the Supreme Court affirmed it as a criminal court? In whose case, because I know that was not part of the preliminary objections Saraki raised which the supreme court ruled on.
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Oxenomy: 6:23pm On Apr 14, 2016
All this Yorubas forming saints here attacking Chukwudi44 left & right are the same shameless hypocrites that are always ready to defend Tinubu whenever his issue comes up. Saraki is saint until he becomes senate president.. Bunch of hypocrites..

I don't give a flying fvck about Saraki anyway!
I laugh when they call Chukwudi44 Pa cheesy A young intelligent guy enjoying his life.. You guys should keep fooling around.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Oxenomy: 6:26pm On Apr 14, 2016
odikimi:

I will like you to throw more light this intending law will have on Saraki's case.. Thank you!
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by AntiWailer: 6:27pm On Apr 14, 2016
chukwudi44:
well done my brave senators!!! That amendment must be passed into law before the end of next month!!! lets speed it up and ensure it gets to the executive for assent before monday

lol

lets ?

Who are you ?
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Bluffly: 6:27pm On Apr 14, 2016
Way forward in this country is to K*ll all political leaders still alive from 1960 to date including those they have groomed.
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by ikwubaba: 6:28pm On Apr 14, 2016
odikimi:

So are we discussing civil matter here? false asset declaration is criminal.
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by enlightenedmind: 6:30pm On Apr 14, 2016
gebest:
Saraki is smarter than APC, he is currently spending on the senators, if APC refused to spend money like Saraki is doing PDP will take over d National Assembly

Dosen't our constitution allow for "Ex post Facto law"?
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by odikimi: 6:33pm On Apr 14, 2016
Oxenomy:
I will like you to throw more light this intending law will have on Saraki's case.. Thank you!
It won't have any effect on Saraki's case. It is a trite principle of law that, the rules of court in effect when a matter comes up is what the court will use in deciding the case. The rules of court here is the ACJA. Rules of court is a procedural law and not substantive law. The Rules applicable now will be used to decide his case and not the prospective rules.
My argument is about the principle of "retrospective in criminal trial".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Oxenomy: 6:35pm On Apr 14, 2016
odikimi:

It won't have any effect on Saraki's case. It is a trite principle of law that, the rules of court in effect when a matter comes up is what the court will use in deciding the case. The rules of court here is the ACJA. Rules of court is a procedural law and not substantive law. The Rules applicable now will be used to decide his case and not the prospective rules.
My argument is about the principle of "retrospective in criminal trial".
I see, thank you very much!
Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by enlightenedmind: 6:36pm On Apr 14, 2016
kropotkin2:
Presidential vetoes are very difficult to override. If Buhari decides to veto the law which i know he will,there is no way saraki can muster the 240 house of reps votes to override the veto. Also laws passed by the national assembly have to wait for 21 days before they can have the force of law. So during this period, the president has the power to return the bill to the national assembly informing them about his reservations about it and why he cannot assent to it. They are then forced to reexamine it, and take a vote again. This window gives the president to exercise his leverage and power to either get it shot down or altered. So you see there are so many political games the the president can play to get his way. In a presidential system, the national assembly is no match for the executive even if they are from a different party and you are here busy screaming "Hail saraki". grin Also underestimate Tinubu's power at your peril

I laugh. They do not even know who they are dealing with. Saraki is lucky that Tinubu has converted Buhari, he would have ben executed in the gallows since. Saraki thinks this is that PDP rule that he can do what he likes and get away with it. Buhai is free to do whatever he likes to Saraki. His human rights can be violated, we do not mind. The people are with Buhari on this. I will be AGAINST buhari if he does not eject Saraki. Saraki violated our human rights by disregarding us.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment by Fickie(m): 6:37pm On Apr 14, 2016
hmm all these people celebrating the CCB amendment doesn't understand that Saraki's case will not be affected and any other pending case with the tribunal, Saraki must be jailed.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Saraki Reshuffles Senate Committees, Tinubu, Marafa Get “juicy” Post / Abba Moro Convoy Involved In Accident On Way To Campaign, Many Dead. Photos / Photos Of Fayose At Inauguration Of Atiku/Obi PDP Presidential Campaign In Ekiti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.