Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,383 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:19 PM

Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? (18220 Views)

GLO Sack Letter Based On Marital Status (Photo) / Should I Sack My Staff For Stealing #500:00? / Woman Sacked By Kaduna Electric Faints After Reading Sack Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by BiafraBushBoy(m): 9:44am On Apr 28, 2016
I write this with much urgency and anger inside me..

I am a young man in my early twenties and work as a management staff of a company. I have a driver that is it old enough to be my father's senior and I accord him due respect. But the problem is that he is not just doing his job in a professional manner..

He comes late to work, because I can manage and jump molue, so no need of him picking me from home.

Always complaining that he is bigger than driving his son's mate. But the truth is that I don't make him feel bad because as a guy man, I even sit in front with him and do other things just to create an atmosphere of respect for him. and because of this, l am always late for some business appointments.

He is not just focused on the job. And it has gotten to management's notice. So I was asked to run an appraisal on him...

But the truth is that.... he always tell me sometimes of how hard things are for his family and how he uses this Job to keep body and soul together...

Am kind of confused now, should I patch up for him, or give a correct report about him!!

I have now and tomorrow to report back.. Matured advice please!!

15 Likes

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by ayodotcom(m): 9:51am On Apr 28, 2016
Wot d man is doin is appealing to emotions. If things r tough 4 his family as he says, he would b hardworking and diligent in his duties.
I will advise u to giv a true appraisal and not carry anoda man's problem

181 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by ephemm(m): 9:52am On Apr 28, 2016
You have to choose between saving him and his family or saving your job! (management has already noticed your lateness to business appointments too)

Love your neighbour as yourself, not more than yourself.

The choice is yours

188 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by kowema(f): 10:03am On Apr 28, 2016
Report the true state of things to management, how ever, tell them to give you another 3 months to help him work on his character development as you think he would improve.
That's now to say the truth but with remorse.

Call ur driver to let him know that he has put you in a tight corner and let him know he has just 90 days to fix himself.
I know that feeling

144 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by danemenike: 10:14am On Apr 28, 2016
just report the issue as it were. Management may not sack him but might query him.

8 Likes

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by lecturerdabo(m): 10:20am On Apr 28, 2016
Bro ur job is very important! But from ur post, one can deduce that u can still leverage the old man and his family!!

My Advice:
There is a reason u ar in the managerial level so apply managerial skill here!
Call d old man into ur office, make him understand how you feel and what is expected of him as driver and you as his superior/supervisor! Watch his response, if he pledge to improve on his duties, patch up for him(Blessed are the merciful....) after a stern warning otherwise follow the rules!!!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by BiafraBushBoy(m): 10:24am On Apr 28, 2016
kowema:
Report the true state of things to management, how ever, tell them to give you another 3 months to help him work on his character development as you think he would improve.

Call ur driver to let him know that he has put you in a tight corner and let him know he has just 90 days to fix himself.
I know that feeling

He wants to work, just that he his distracted!!

90 days.?.. I can't guarantee him that long duration after the "true" appraisal

2 Likes

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by BiafraBushBoy(m): 10:27am On Apr 28, 2016
lecturerdabo:
Bro ur job is very important! But from ur post, one can deduce that u can still leverage the old man and his family!!

My Advice:
There is a reason u ar in the managerial level so apply managerial skill here!
Call d old man into ur office, make him understand how you feel and what is expected of him as driver and you as his superior/supervisor! Watch his response, if he pledge to improve on his duties, patch up for him(Blessed are the merciful....) after a stern warning otherwise follow the rules!!!

I like this... But baba will be looking at me with one kain eyes as always.. lol..

2 Likes

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by ayokenny37(m): 10:50am On Apr 28, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

Always complaining that he is bigger than driving his son's mate.

with this Attitude, sack am. was he forced to be a driver?

8 Likes

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by BiafraBushBoy(m): 11:03am On Apr 28, 2016
ayokenny37:

with this Attitude, sack am. was he forced to be a driver?
lol... bro no vex abeg..
cc: lalasticlala..

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Benjom(m): 11:13am On Apr 28, 2016
Looking at the economic situation of things in the country, I'll advise you place him on a short probation to know if he'll change. Many old men in his position are nice set of human beings I've ever met. His behaviour sounds strange. Please, sit him down to discuss the way forward for the last time. If he doesn't change, then fire him.

1 Like

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by kowema(f): 12:15pm On Apr 28, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

He wants to work, just that he his distracted!!

90 days.?.. I can't guarantee him that long duration after the "true" appraisal

Wow!..then do a minimum of 30 days
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by lecturerdabo(m): 12:37pm On Apr 28, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

I like this... But baba will be looking at me with one kain eyes as always.. lol..

I used the word "how you feel" apply pschology here! How u feel includes how you respect him like ur own father, how u think he deserve bether, how ur hands ar tied in the situation etc.
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by tomholly: 1:21pm On Apr 28, 2016
none of the above
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by freshness2020: 1:21pm On Apr 28, 2016
undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by jnrbayano(m): 1:22pm On Apr 28, 2016
The management might just have tested your integrity which you may have taking a good while to build. Be careful.

Help your driver by appraising him correctly, it might just be the spark needed for a turnaround.

Punishments vary after an appraisal. A query can be issued, a warning too. Suspension can come to him also.

Outright dismissal is the final straw and has a lesser probability of trumping the other lesser punishments since he is coming under the microscope of the management officially the first time.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by ItzTun3chi(m): 1:23pm On Apr 28, 2016
what's my business with that? angry

1 Like

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by femi4: 1:23pm On Apr 28, 2016
kowema:

I know that feeling
100 likes!

2 Likes

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by boye1: 1:23pm On Apr 28, 2016
Don't Hire who you cannot Fire

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Apr 28, 2016
angry Who u epp? Who u epp? Who u epp? U don baff? Who u serve? Don't slam my door whats wrong with you angry
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by wallyg: 1:24pm On Apr 28, 2016
Serve him a query notice and let him respond in the next 24hrs why he shouldn't be relieve of his job.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Victorakats(m): 1:25pm On Apr 28, 2016
Nobody runs his outfit on charity and we shouldn't have any sentiments when it comes to professionalism.
Here is what you must do as a brother and a friend, take him out, talk some sense into him and warn him sternly to focus on his job and learn to deliver on his job and stop whining and complaining.
Let him know that the management is observing him and if he can't deliver, he will be shown out of the company.
No company deserves a lousy and ungrateful personnel in their team.
After this discussion with him, reconsider him and present him in an average /improving state during your appraisal.
The purpose of doing so is so that you won't feel guilty if he doesn't improve on his attitude.
He must come to work on time and do his job professionally. If he doesn't appreciate your advice or he ends up being rude and disrespectful to you, I'm certain that you know what's best for you to do.
We hope to help others succeed but we shouldn't do that at the detriment of a company that strives to succeed also.

Need counselling? Visit www.amaraofficial.com

3 Likes

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by raumdeuter: 1:25pm On Apr 28, 2016
Why do you need a driver?

Try to transfer him to another department and get a younger driver

Its awkward working with someone much older than you especially when he is expected to report to you

3 Likes

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Aremu01(m): 1:25pm On Apr 28, 2016
Hmmm, lemme think
So he really needs the job n he isn't taking it serious? Well I ll advice u to discuss with him on what he is making you face with a firm warning of retrenchment if he doesn't change
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by ucheHapers(m): 1:27pm On Apr 28, 2016
Sack him....bros no emotions, trust me it would get worse and you would wish why you didn't do it soon enough

1 Like

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Apr 28, 2016
professionalism ends where emotions begins.

hope you got the gist,the man is blackmailing you emotionally,but you can act nerd,and give a professional report,thereby sending him to the abyss..

if i were cryprofessionalism ends where emotions begins.

hope you got the gist,the man is blackmailing you emotionally,but you can act nerd,and give a professional report,thereby sending him to the abyss..but ermmm,most time emotion rules.

if i were
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Apr 28, 2016
Request for his transfer to another department. Don't let his downfall occur via you.

1 Like

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by MrPresident1: 1:29pm On Apr 28, 2016
Pray to God for wisdom.
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by adedammy007(m): 1:29pm On Apr 28, 2016
on a most serious note,u jst have to be faithful and be truthful. ...sack d daddy.
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by mizchoc(f): 1:30pm On Apr 28, 2016
I think u shud call him and talk to him...let him see things in ur own view.... tell him that u'll sack him if he doesn't change..

Humans have a funny way of showing 'gratitude'...
if u sack him nw,he may react as if u never gave him other chances...

buh remember..don't displease urself to please someone..
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by femiakinbully(m): 1:31pm On Apr 28, 2016
It's not your fault he's a driver... We all have our role to play as part of an organization or a society.

If he's not doing his Job well with no attempt to improve then he might as well leave or he'll eventually affect you.. You'll be the one needing an appraisal.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Drop That Harsh Thing In Your Mind, You Wish You Can Email To A Boss Or Client B / Are Nurses Promiscuous/Flirty? Is It A Myth? / COVID-19: MTN To Staff 'Get Vaccinated Or Lose Your Job'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.