Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,413 members, 7,819,480 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? (18221 Views)

GLO Sack Letter Based On Marital Status (Photo) / Should I Sack My Staff For Stealing #500:00? / Woman Sacked By Kaduna Electric Faints After Reading Sack Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by kowema(f): 2:51pm On Apr 28, 2016
femi4:
100 likes!

smiley
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Bossken(m): 2:53pm On Apr 28, 2016
i candid opinion is that you should make a report as it were. there is no point covering up for him. if truly the job is what is keeping him and his family, then he will apply due diligence irrespctive of your age. if is not ready to serve in th efirst pace, he should sit at home and claim the old man he is instead of getting u into trouble via your late coming to work and for business meetings. i bet you that if the same driver is given a chance to appraise you, my brother you won't believe what hsi judgement would be about you.

Please do the needful and if he gets axed, you are ina position to request for a much younger and agile person for a driver.

Regards

BiafraBushBoy:

He wants to work, just that he his distracted!!

90 days.?.. I can't guarantee him that long duration after the "true" appraisal
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Azeeztaophic(m): 3:02pm On Apr 28, 2016
Huuuu, you have tried for the man, but some driver are kind of surborn set of pp in my own department i have 6 drivers to work with and most of them are older than I do, so is like hell for me but gut to manage them.
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Apr 28, 2016
Call and tell him as son to father that it will be better if he resign on his own as the company has asked you to give report concerning him,its better if he resign as they will give him some money than to be sacked,and you alleviate him by giving him 70% of money to start a business that will make him be his own oga,cos i dnt see him doing better in another company,this is better than writing appraiasal and company sacking him,dnt let a whole generation think you caused their misfortunes.
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by uche08066959705(m): 3:47pm On Apr 28, 2016
Early twenties? Bro abeg Drive Yourself and save your job... If not The old man will make u join Brown envelope graduates....
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Dollyp101: 4:01pm On Apr 28, 2016
My caddy advice: Do you have a documented query for him?
2.Have you report him to his wife, tell him to bring his wife in the next 24hours or stand the chance to be sacked.
3.you have to be frank sometime in respective of the age. Don't mix work and feelings.
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by stancod(m): 4:02pm On Apr 28, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:
I write this with much urgency and anger inside me..

I am a young man in my early twenties and work as a management staff of a company. I have a driver that is it old enough to be my father's senior and I accord him due respect. But the problem is that he is not just doing his job in a professional manner..

He comes late to work, because I can manage and jump molue, so no need of him picking me from home.

Always complaining that he is bigger than driving his son's mate. But the truth is that I don't make him feel bad because as a guy man, I even sit in front with him and do other things just to create an atmosphere of respect for him. and because of this, l am always late for some business appointments.

He is not just focused on the job. And it has gotten to management's notice. So I was asked to run an appraisal on him...

But the truth is that.... he always tell me sometimes of how hard things are for his family and how he uses this Job to keep body and soul together...

Am kind of confused now, should I patch up for him, or give a correct report about him!!

I have now and tomorrow to report back.. Matured advice please!!
bros i will be glad if u employ me. Am young and you'll enjoy my diligency to my duty. Thanks
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Apr 28, 2016
ephemm:
You have to choose between saving him and his family or saving your job! (management has already noticed your lateness to business appointments too)

Love your neighbour as yourself, not more than yourself.

The choice is yours
I dey tellz u
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Apr 28, 2016
kowema:
Report the true state of things to management, how ever, tell them to give you another 3 months to help him work on his character development as you think he would improve.
That's now to say the truth but with remorse.

Call ur driver to let him know that he has put you in a tight corner and let him know he has just 90 days to fix himself.
I know that feeling

You're thoughtful! smiley
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by KAYNINI(m): 4:12pm On Apr 28, 2016
i had the same challenge
i simply requested they transfer him to another unit as i must be stressing him
he was eventually fired as he was rude to the new official
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by kowema(f): 4:13pm On Apr 28, 2016
Oliviaarims:

You're thoughtful! smiley

Thanks ma'am
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Apr 28, 2016
kowema:

Thanks ma'am

smiley. Don't mention it.
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Nkoozi: 4:20pm On Apr 28, 2016
Any one who brings sentiments to work is not a professional. Age difference has nothing to do with work. If baba needs his job to keep body n soul together, he wouldn't mind if he has to drive a child as young as his grandson. Please give a true report, before u loose your own job
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by numericalguy(m): 4:32pm On Apr 28, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

I am a young man in my early twenties and work as a management staff of a company. I have a driver that is it old enough to be my father's senior and I accord him due respect. But the problem is that he is not just doing his job in a professional manner..

He comes late to work, because I can manage and jump molue, so no need of him picking me from home.

Always complaining that he is bigger than driving his son's mate. But the truth is that I don't make him feel bad because as a guy man, I even sit in front with him and do other things just to create an atmosphere of respect for him. and because of this, l am always late for some business appointments.

He is not just focused on the job. And it has gotten to management's notice. So I was asked to run an appraisal on him...

But the truth is that.... he always tell me sometimes of how hard things are for his family and how he uses this Job to keep body and soul together...

Am kind of confused now, should I patch up for him, or give a correct report about him!!

Ode. Olodo. Mumu

You have two options.
You either let him go or management will let both of you go
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by lora1: 4:41pm On Apr 28, 2016
Love your neighbour as yourself, not more than yourself.

I hard a similar experience too, but mine was a cab driver. He told me that he is angry carrying somebody's wife, when he knows that he is senior to that person.

Please don't put yourself in a tight corner. Do your best and leave the rest.
Life is beautiful......
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by chima24life(m): 4:55pm On Apr 28, 2016
The company say you should give him appraisal, you have to give him the appraisal is good for the sake of kindness
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by IsaacAOfakunrin: 5:03pm On Apr 28, 2016
Please you need to sincere to your self. You need to give true picture account of him to the management for proper action. If the driver truly loved its job, he would do the right thing to safe his job. Failure to do this would mean that you would carry the burden by your self. Peace!
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by cleavon(m): 5:05pm On Apr 28, 2016
Its good you give a true report..if u don't out of pity, he will draw you together with him..so give the true report..its left for the company to query or sack him as the case maybe..like you said u re on your twenties..getting job in naija isn't easy o..u better protect the one you have...don't let him get u fired instead..because been late to appointment..
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by BiafraBushBoy(m): 5:21pm On Apr 28, 2016
stancod:
bros i will be glad if u employ me. Am young and you'll enjoy my diligency to my duty. Thanks

wld HV loved to, but its not my coy. whenever vacancy pops up, I will alert ya'all. Thanks bro..
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by BiafraBushBoy(m): 5:25pm On Apr 28, 2016
maestroferddi:
Guy I weak like say na weekend...

When I saw the crap the chap wrote I laughed like kilode.

Management staff in early twenties in Naija with a status/staff car?

Is those one-man business where people are deceived with empty titles while their salaries are hardly above what some solid organisations pay cleaners.

The chap just want to feel fly...

I feel ur pain... am not where I have to be yet., let time be the judge
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by stancod(m): 5:25pm On Apr 28, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

wld HV loved to, but its not my coy. whenever vacancy pops up, I will alert ya'all. Thanks bro..
thanks GOD BLESS U
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by BiafraBushBoy(m): 5:30pm On Apr 28, 2016
numericalguy:

Ode. Olodo. Mumu
You have two options. You either let him go or management will let both of you go
The insults were not necessary...na
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Apr 28, 2016
ayodotcom:
Wot d man is doin is appealing to emotions. If things r tough 4 his family as he says, he would b hardworking and diligent in his duties.
I will advise u to giv a true appraisal and not carry anoda man's problem
The simple truth.
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Oshege(m): 5:42pm On Apr 28, 2016
Sacking him is not an option. Are u telling me you have 100% efficiency and capability in your work? ? Of course, not, you have your own lapses.

Just give him a warning in a respectful manner inside of destroying a own family with the Power u have in hand
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by maestroferddi: 5:44pm On Apr 28, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

I feel ur pain... am not where I have to be yet., let time be the judge
Which kain yeye pain?

E be like say small pikin still dey worry you.

You are just laughable...
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by uwemjack(m): 8:06pm On Apr 28, 2016
Make two copies of the appraisal form, keep the original copy aside, fill a copy with the truth, and keep aside. Then call him into your office and give him the second copy to answer the questions with all honesty and fill the form himself.
Discuss the form with him and if he was honest enough let him know the consequences, and steps he needs to take to remedy his non-performance. If he was dishonest in appraising himself show him or tell him what you think his performance is and the consequences and steps he must take to remedy the situation.

If he promises to improve and is remorseful, be humane in your appraisal but give him conditions which you should include also in your final appraisal
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by lawsta(m): 8:27pm On Apr 28, 2016
according to u,
(1)he is found of being late to work thus missing official appointment--- u are catching molue
(2)too big to drive his child age mate.-- u sitting beside him.
if I were u I will give him what he deserve. because if u favor him too much ur bosses will see u as been too weak and will not give u higher position. though there is some unofficial consideration in almost official situation but a line must be drawn.
do not jeopardize ur career because of an irresponsible man. if his household depends on him DAT his y he shuld be more devoted. if he will be sack let it be. ur loyalty is more to ur employers. plead less on his behalf.
he is where he is now cos of is attitude to work .
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by susuces4all(m): 8:30pm On Apr 28, 2016
I almost have similar case! Though I suspended him for one week after which he was given a warning letter. The problem we have with these set of people is that they don't take correction. My brother!! The best thing is to give the exact report about him & for this reason you have no hesitation than to recommend that his probationary period should extended to another 2months depending on u
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by psalmistkakah(m): 8:38pm On Apr 28, 2016
Consider him..last chance
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by KaBabs1: 8:57pm On Apr 28, 2016
Get rid of the damn man. Imagine how your life would be if you got another driver that doesn't whine about how his driving his son's mate, if you had one that would be at your home first thing in the morning to take you to work, a driver that you'll never have to blame for you being late to an appointment cos the fault is yours and not his, sitting in the 'owner's corner' of your car and last but not least, feeling like you can tell your driver to run errands for you just because you're the fucking boss of him
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by sitibemfen(m): 9:41pm On Apr 28, 2016
Just two options for you: transfer him to another unit or sack him.
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by spiralwedge(m): 9:48pm On Apr 28, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

All I see is that you lack leadership/management skills and you are not professional. You let emotions run you over and your leadership style is lassez faire.

As a matter of fact, your appraisal of him is the appraisal of yourself. You may be condoning mediocrity and indiscipline if you give a false appraisal and that surely negates the core values of your organisation. And that may mean that you are not even fit to be part of the team.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Drop That Harsh Thing In Your Mind, You Wish You Can Email To A Boss Or Client B / Are Nurses Promiscuous/Flirty? Is It A Myth? / COVID-19: MTN To Staff 'Get Vaccinated Or Lose Your Job'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.