Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,154 members, 7,818,493 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? (18216 Views)

GLO Sack Letter Based On Marital Status (Photo) / Should I Sack My Staff For Stealing #500:00? / Woman Sacked By Kaduna Electric Faints After Reading Sack Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Samtoby(m): 1:32pm On Apr 28, 2016
Just pay him off.... Clearly he won't change
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Kelechi2020(m): 1:33pm On Apr 28, 2016
The replies have said it all, the issue of age should not even have been discussed here if he is a professional driver..

A driver role is to chauffeur whomsoever in the company that need the services of the company car whether the cleaner or the gate man.

a drivers role is to drive and not to check age..
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Segadem(m): 1:33pm On Apr 28, 2016
kowema:
Report the true state of things to management, how ever, tell them to give you another 3 months to help him work on his character development as you think he would improve.
That's now to say the truth but with remorse.

Call ur driver to let him know that he has put you in a tight corner and let him know he has just 90 days to fix himself.
I know that feeling
[size=14pt]Good advice but 90 days is too much![/size]
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Frankdamaxx(m): 1:35pm On Apr 28, 2016
Same thing I face in my organization. The man feels he is too big for his job, even told me I should not tell him where to go. I just dey look am.

Talk to him and give him an ultimatum to change if not, Just transfer him to another unit maybe he would fare better there.
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by playboy19(m): 1:35pm On Apr 28, 2016
Op, you said you are on management level, trust me, if I was your CEO, I'd be having a second thought about you right now. I'd start doubting your capability. The moment this man starring complaining about the age difference and how he can't be driving his sons' mate should tell you that whatever you do will never change or satisfy this man. So, you're here asking us if you should wait till the man get you under him by having you fired and jobless before you let him go? Tell me you're kidding.

The man who has been the reason why you're getting late to my work, thereby losing precious office time? Think man!

3 Likes

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by dammytosh: 1:39pm On Apr 28, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:
I write this with much urgency and anger inside me..

I am a young man in my early twenties and work as a management staff of a company. I have a driver that is it old enough to be my father's senior and I accord him due respect. But the problem is that he is not just doing his job in a professional manner..

He comes late to work, because I can manage and jump molue, so no need of him picking me from home.

Always complaining that he is bigger than driving his son's mate. But the truth is that I don't make him feel bad because as a guy man, I even sit in front with him and do other things just to create an atmosphere of respect for him. and because of this, l am always late for some business appointments.

He is not just focused on the job. And it has gotten to management's notice. So I was asked to run an appraisal on him...

But the truth is that.... he always tell me sometimes of how hard things are for his family and how he uses this Job to keep body and soul together...

Am kind of confused now, should I patch up for him, or give a correct report about him!!

I have now and tomorrow to report back.. Matured advice please!!

You are nobody Bro.

Stop deceiving your self.

As a scammer management staff in early 20s, he goes home with your car ? grin grin

Don't worry God will answer your prayers.

Igbos always feeling bigger than they ever can. grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by bigabbey: 1:39pm On Apr 28, 2016
If you please people you will fail so do things in a professional way. Make tough decision so that life will be easier on you.
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by nnamdiosu(m): 1:41pm On Apr 28, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

I am a young man in my early twenties and work as a management staff of a company. I have a driver that is it old enough to be my father's senior and I accord him due respect. But the problem is that he is not just doing his job in a professional manner..

He comes late to work, because I can manage and jump molue, so no need of him picking me from home.

Always complaining that he is bigger than driving his son's mate. But the truth is that I don't make him feel bad because as a guy man, I even sit in front with him and do other things just to create an atmosphere of respect for him. and because of this, l am always late for some business appointments.

He is not just focused on the job. And it has gotten to management's notice. So I was asked to run an appraisal on him...

But the truth is that.... he always tell me sometimes of how hard things are for his family and how he uses this Job to keep body and soul together...

Am kind of confused now, should I patch up for him, or give a correct report about him!!

sir, continue mixing business with pity and emotions...until someone else is aked to do an appriasal on you too or sack you. somebody is putting sand in your garri by making you come to work and business appointments late while you are doing suffering and smilling. its becos he knows ur weak he is behaving like that. please do the needful, dont let your next topic here be....

help. i have been sacked. (God forbid)
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by ogawisdom(m): 1:41pm On Apr 28, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by alobright17(m): 1:45pm On Apr 28, 2016
Truth Yes Truth I said Truth bro leave emotions out and say the truth.

The true report can even help him more than giving false report
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by calabardick(m): 1:49pm On Apr 28, 2016
kowema:
Report the true state of things to management, how ever, tell them to give you another 3 months to help him work on his character development as you think he would improve.
That's now to say the truth but with remorse.

Call ur driver to let him know that he has put you in a tight corner and let him know he has just 90 days to fix himself.
I know that feeling

I respect you for this, your advice is the best, you just said my mind

That is why I respect women's contribution in cases like this, you have a good heart
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by redsceptic: 1:53pm On Apr 28, 2016
I have worked in multinationals and other companies and I have managed people older, younger and equal in age to me.
Your leadership skills are being tested and so far you have not reached the mark.
You have a driver who comes late to work and not only do you condone it, but you also take the molue because you are "a guy-man" (smh).
He talks back at you then turns around to appeal to your emotions by bringing in his family(smh again).

I am here to tell you this - in the corporate world if you show weakness you will get eaten alive and you are showing great weakness. I once had a driver tell me to get out of a company car because he wasn't prepared to go my way: mind you, I was at the time almost 5 levels above his boss (the head driver). Since then I learned a lesson.

You are his superior. Query, transfer, or sack him. I suspect it is too late for the first option.

In future show consideration and empathy for your workers but do not let it degenerate into familiarity and insubordination.
Grow up and be a leader. You don't have to be nasty but you must be firm.

Cheers

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Apr 28, 2016
You shouldn't be asking this question if not that you are the one that indulged the baba.
Professionalism has nothing to do with age. You should have corrected him respectfully when these nonsense was just starting.
Right now, don't fire him but do what you should have done a long time ago; Warn him respectfully.
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by goingape: 1:54pm On Apr 28, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

SACK that old man.

I hate prideful people. why can't he do his job with humility but yet complaining he is bigger than driving undecided

since he is bigger than driving why can't he go and find a job he isn't bigger than.

if I were in your shoe I would have tell him to shut the FVCK off and drive and if he don't like his job, get the FVCK out.

work has nothing to do with age. shall I blame you! if you show too much concern that's when he will want to ride with you.

I remember almost thesame incident happened to me. I shouted on my college. he was claiming age and that's when I gave him a piece of my mind and since then he repected me.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Maximus85(m): 1:56pm On Apr 28, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

If you are to choose between saking him and getting yourself asked..... Pick one NOW!
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by emerged01(m): 1:58pm On Apr 28, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

I like this... But baba will be looking at me with one kain eyes as always.. lol..

That advice is genuine.

1 Like

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by mutualrespect(m): 1:58pm On Apr 28, 2016
In my candid opinion, your are very matured even at your by the way you have handled things. However, i will advise you discuss the issue with him in a relax mood and make him know the implications to your job. Also, let him know that you are giving him three month to adjust. This will show if he his actually ready to work.
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Bom4Real: 2:01pm On Apr 28, 2016
Pls and Pls Dont Sack That man no matter What,But Let Him Understand THE implications of HIS actions
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by maestroferddi: 2:02pm On Apr 28, 2016
dammytosh:

You are nobody Bro.

As a scammer management staff in early 20s, he goes home with your car ? grin grin

Guy I weak like say na weekend...

When I saw the crap the chap wrote I laughed like kilode.

Management staff in early twenties in Naija with a status/staff car?

Is those one-man business where people are deceived with empty titles while their salaries are hardly above what some solid organisations pay cleaners.

The chap just want to feel fly...
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Apr 28, 2016
give the report without sentiment, the man is not serious, spare yourself the stress of defending why you failed in this rare opportunity given to you. Let the management take the decision themselves, the economy is not smiling while some peeps are busy flawing company's polices here and there.
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by BiafraBushBoy(m): 2:09pm On Apr 28, 2016
dammytosh:

You are nobody Bro.

I ignore your statement... Thanks buddy!!

1 Like

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Apr 28, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

I am a young man in my early twenties and work as a management staff of a company. I have a driver t8hat is it old enough to be my father's senior and I accord him due respect. But the problem is that he is not just doing his job in a professional manner..

Saw ur add and was shocked. Please since he is not willing to be focused, i hereby avail myself to you to replace him. I promise to abide by company rules and urs.
I await your positive response.

1 Like

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by ojuolu(m): 2:13pm On Apr 28, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

Have you give him verbal warning? Please you may need to appraise him objectively and document it now before you a thrown away with the dirty water. No one will be exonerated along the value chain when the chips are down due to gaps in time management.
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Kobicove(m): 2:14pm On Apr 28, 2016
Age really has no 'place' in a corporate organisation.

You have earned your position as a management staff...if he's not comfortable reporting to you then you need to let him go.

Put sentiments aside and kick him out now at this early stage
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by OCTAVO: 2:16pm On Apr 28, 2016
Guy, fire that man!
Employ who you can control. If he can't drive his son's mate, let him sit down at home! I've seen cases like this before. Pride will never let some people go far in life. You treat them well, they misbehave and abuse it!
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by TheSCRYPT: 2:19pm On Apr 28, 2016
raumdeuter:
Why do you need a driver?

Try to transfer him to another department and get a younger driver

Its awkward working with someone much older than you especially when he is expected to report to you

I don't think it is awkward. Company drivers are usually put through proper orientation about their jobs. Most times, they know they'll be driving people much younger. Our current driver is much older than us has been here for over 11 years, seen children grow into managers and should have children as old as we are, however, the driver understands responsibilities and knows there are boundaries, and we do too.

I think the OP allowed some familiarity to creep in. OP, appraise him as needed but recommend that he be given some time to improve. Maybe a query first. That way he is given a second chance.
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by san316(m): 2:20pm On Apr 28, 2016
Me I wont even come to Nairaland to ask oo. As long as his nonchalant attitude is affecting my productivity, I will even report him before the appraisal. Sure he's a driver at his age because of such attitude.

Appraise him objectively joor. Recommend a warning letter

1 Like

Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by Udofire(m): 2:23pm On Apr 28, 2016
@kowema...30 days is too much. What if he doesn't change before then and my bro here has been sacked because of his late appointments or whatsoever has a result of his drivers attitude.
Tell the mangement to give you 3days to sort the report out.

I'll suggest you give him a query which is to be submitted in the next 24hours followed with an Undertaking written and signed by him stating that he should be sacked if he doesn't change, then you give him 2days for him to change. If he doesn't by then, you can do as written in the undertaking. So you can have a clear conscience.
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by onaf: 2:24pm On Apr 28, 2016
Since you still want to help him.Let him be transfered to another unit and yiu get another driver .Don't be the one to sack him,let his character be evaluated by other department/unit.Let him decide his faith within the company
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by OCTAVO: 2:24pm On Apr 28, 2016
playboy19:
Op, you said you are on management level, trust me, if I was your CEO, I'd be having a second thought about you right now. I'd start doubting your capability. The moment this man starring complaining about the age difference and how he can't be driving his sons' mate should tell you that whatever you do will never change or satisfy this man. So, you're here asking us if you should wait till the man get you under him by having you fired and jobless before you let him go? Tell me you're kidding.

The man who has been the reason why you're getting late to my work, thereby losing precious office time? Think man!
Sincerely, I'm really surprised the OP is asking this kind of question. I will fire that old man without blinking! I'm not wicked, but I can't work with people that will pull me back.
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by heo88(m): 2:31pm On Apr 28, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

Bro it is very admirable you have accorded him respect due to his age etc. However, the man, according to your post, evidently doesn't appreciate your efforts and somehow sees fit to falsely preserve his ego at your expense, which is just plain unfair.

I can see how his hardship pleas have tugged at your heart strings, but the reality is that keeping him at your expense may do more damage than it has hitherto. Effectively, and please correct me if I'm wrong, his lack of professionalism may deny you future opportunities and I hope it will never get to this, but the axe may fall on your head.

My advice is that you are far better off saving yourself first before you think of him. I would hate for you to end up worse off in the long run.

All the best with the decision you eventually make- it is well.
Re: Should I Sack My Driver Or Not? by abdullkabar(m): 2:38pm On Apr 28, 2016
Probably yu caused it by creating too much familiarity b4 studying wu he his(some people do not deserve 50% honesty,fr there well being)...........As to what to do,you cn help him if you can
Caution him and create the space but don't be rude

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Drop That Harsh Thing In Your Mind, You Wish You Can Email To A Boss Or Client B / Are Nurses Promiscuous/Flirty? Is It A Myth? / COVID-19: MTN To Staff 'Get Vaccinated Or Lose Your Job'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.