Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,658 members, 7,816,686 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London (73099 Views)

Why Nigerians Living In London Are Returning Home / Lies Of Nigerians Living In America / Cameroonian Lady Has Message About Nigerians Living Abroad (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by ATERI(m): 6:25pm On Apr 29, 2016
jaybee3:

Yes i have but there is also positive disrimination initiatives to negate effect of such

Any examples of such positive discrimination initiatives to negate the effects of institutional racism in London?
Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by ronald4lif(m): 6:26pm On Apr 29, 2016
justwise:
Peckham in North London? Who wrote this joke of an article?

A joke really. Only that blunder has discredited the report.

1 Like

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by erico2k2(m): 6:27pm On Apr 29, 2016
toyetade:
Misleading article. Get close to Nigerians who are successful in the UK then you will know it is one of the best places on the world for opportunities . I have been a contractor here for more than 10 years and I currently earn £540 per day though I came here in 2001 with just 6 months visa
Ahaha I am assuming it's a typo £540 per day or week

3 Likes

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by erico2k2(m): 6:28pm On Apr 29, 2016
ATERI:

Any examples of such positive discrimination initiatives to negate the effects of institutional racism in London?
Yes loads.ie the police force, Embassy, Schools.
Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by jaybee3(m): 6:28pm On Apr 29, 2016
ATERI:

Targeted recruitment of blacks and ethnic minorities by the MET
Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by ronald4lif(m): 6:28pm On Apr 29, 2016
ATERI:

Have you heard of institutional racism before?

Examples of these institutional racism are?
Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by erico2k2(m): 6:30pm On Apr 29, 2016
ItzTun3chi:
seriously, it's better to stay in Nigeria and work hard and make your cool cash here than to go live there and cough out most of your wages to pay for the cost of living
That's why nothing works in Nigeria. We hate tax.

10 Likes

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by Nobody: 6:30pm On Apr 29, 2016
erico2k2:

When you share post without verification yoy are as guilty as who wrote it in the first place.
That's why you can go to jail for re twittting.
am sorry sir... but I've confirmed it now..

2 Likes

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by erico2k2(m): 6:33pm On Apr 29, 2016
Dabss:
Ask her how much she pays for a plate of decent food or how much she pay for rent every month. That £200 can not get her what 40k can get in naija here.

Use your brains.
Well in life there is scale of preference. Yours is different from mine and the OP. Your prority might be good food ours might be good environment. Others might be savings

5 Likes

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by mailemy(m): 6:33pm On Apr 29, 2016
NaLaugh:

The bold part above from one of the interviewees is the reason many immigrants fail.

I can't emphasize this enough. If you're a new immigrant, STAY AWAY from people who think like this, or you will end up in lowly jobs for life.

The mentality of "this is the only thing available for people like us" is dangerous, defeatist and should be avoided actively.
That's spot on, I so much avoid people with such shallow and negative thought. U don't generalize things because u have failed and forgot that people do better jobs and live well. New immigrants should avoid people like that if you want to succeed. [color=#000099][/color]

2 Likes

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by erico2k2(m): 6:34pm On Apr 29, 2016
CaptainECole:
am sorry sir... but I've confirmed it now..
Well it carries some wrong info. This will give you an insight to the biased thought of the writer he/she is prejudiced.
Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by fittty(m): 6:35pm On Apr 29, 2016
RichYoungNigger:
That's why USA is the only country in the world.

Here in America, no one cares if you're an illegal immigrant, you will still get a job (some type of job), you kids will still go to school for free.

You can be living illegally in the USA for 100 years, no one cares, the police will not ask you to show your papers, but don't commit any crime because that's what will get you deported.

God bless America

Even collect drivers license sef. Those Mexicans dey too enjoy. Everything is hoping to change if Trump gets in the White House though.

2 Likes

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by erico2k2(m): 6:35pm On Apr 29, 2016
mailemy:

That's spot on, I so much avoid people with such shallow and negative thought. U don't generalize things because u have failed and forgot that people do better jobs and live well. New immigrants should avoid people like that if you want to succeed. [color=#000099][/color]
I agree with you uncountable %.
When you live with cleaners as a fresher you will sort for cleaning jobs.

2 Likes

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by ronald4lif(m): 6:38pm On Apr 29, 2016
TippyTop:
They maybe suffering but its presently #452 to the pound.
My cousin attending uni in London works only 3hrs a day cleaning. So if you get paid £200per month doing few hours a day, that would be #90,000 per month.

Lol. Not as rosy as you paint it. That £200 per month you stated may not even be enough for his monthly travel expenses and feeding in a week. Don't let the naira value to pound mislead you bruv.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by erico2k2(m): 6:40pm On Apr 29, 2016
ATERI:

The article is misleading in many ways. It`s true that Nigerians do menial jobs, but that is just one side of the story. Whether it`s in law, medicine and broadcasting, Nigerians are well represented; so is not just about shop assistants and security guards. Oh yes, Yoruba would be about 70% of the Nigerians in London if not more than that. To be fair to the British, they need to be tough on immigration because everybody wants to be in London, partly because of the language, but mostly for economic reasons. But the most important reason is the hype and propaganda. I have always believed that your European journey is incomplete until you`ve been to London. I can say without any fear of contradiction that it`s the most un-equal society in Western Europe when you compare and contrast the standard of living with other EU countries. The poor mostly live in one area while the rich are concentrated in another, even if not exclusively so. Then whatever you buy in London, and I mean virtually everything, is going to be twice the price paid in the rest of Europe, apart from Switzerland. And oh, pest-infested flats are not difficult to come by so are the ones with leaking roofs. Looking for something decent would mean that almost 70% of your wages would be going on housing. Don`t panic, their Prime Minister has one house he is renting out in Notting Hill, just be ready to pay him £1,800 per week, while your salary is likely to be less than £1000 per month. There is no country in Western Europe that would have a Chief Executive that is collecting salaries 128 times that of his/her average staff, but that is the case with most of the FTSE 100 companies in the City.
All in all, it`s a country worth visiting; because it helps you to know what leadership is all about.
I dunno Y you only just got 5 likes as at now.it should be 1000th likes

2 Likes

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by erico2k2(m): 6:42pm On Apr 29, 2016
ronald4lif:

Lol. Not as rosy as you paint it. That £200 per month you stated may not even be enough for his monthly travel expenses and feeding in a week. Don't let the naira value to pound mislead you bruv.
What are you cooking that will cost £200 in month for just you. ?unless U eat out. You can cook one big pot with £10.it will last you a week plus.

5 Likes

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by olamikhail(m): 6:43pm On Apr 29, 2016
"Uche Kingsley hails from Anambra and recently marked his 34th year in London. He was a top-ranked civil servant before jumping ship in 1981. Today, Kingsley is a ticketing officer in a superstore in London. “I came to London as a student, but it is very expensive now to come here for study. But it remains the best option; otherwise you are coming to London to suffer"

Seriously, is it possible?, you left nigeria as a top ranked civil servant, started over as a student and has lived for over 34years.please how old is he now.? Abi u fit be top ranked civil servant below 35years? smiley grin cool

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by Dabss(m): 6:44pm On Apr 29, 2016
erico2k2:

Well in life there is scale of preference. Yours is different from mine and the OP. Your prority might be good food ours might be good environment. Others might be savings
chairman i was just giving examples. If you can't understand simple English then that's your problem.
Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by planetx: 6:45pm On Apr 29, 2016
mikeczay:
why should I go to any country and suffer when I can be a billionaire here?
Na so e dey easy to be a billionaire in Nigeria. Country with 50% unemployment rate, even the one's working are owned salaries. Ok I will be an entrepreneur, where is the enabling environment. Can you get small business loans? What about steady electricity. No where is easy in this world even America but Nigeria is closer to hell on earth.

23 Likes

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by erico2k2(m): 6:45pm On Apr 29, 2016
soleexx:
Who cares about London or pecham...United Of America! land of opportunity and peace...no cops got time to chase you around for ur uncompleted document...people without papers can live 50+years in US if you don't commit stupid crime...to be honest when u got no proper doc better job may be hard to get...but minor jobs are so many...which are mostly security jobs...$19-30 per hour...and u work for maximum 5hours in a day...if you planning to relocate pls try US...and God will assist you.
Guy if you are Y2K compliant you will realize that the word on the street is to be able to visit home. Now that's prizelesss. Nor be wen person papa go meet his creator you nor fit pay your last respect cos of papers..Is 5hat nt fuuuucked up??

3 Likes

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by RichYoungNigger(m): 6:46pm On Apr 29, 2016
ADENIKETINA2015:

Pls do you have an idea the kind of visa I can apply for. I plan to live & work there. Going through an agent

Let me advise you before it's too late.
What will the agent do for you ??
Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by erico2k2(m): 6:46pm On Apr 29, 2016
Dabss:
chairman i was just giving examples. If you can't understand simple English then that's your problem.
Guy I nor criticize yoy Ooh.I just state a well known facts.so make you relax.
Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by donephi(m): 6:46pm On Apr 29, 2016
Dollyak:
I laugh at those who thinks every Nigerian in Uk and us does blue collar jobs, in an attempt to feel smug or justify their failure in securing a Visa. Anyways, the average Nigerian in usa and UK is still many times richer than those in Nigeria. That's even ignoring the quality of life and security..

This assertion is a fallacy , I stand to be corrected. On what premises are you making your conclusion?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by fittty(m): 6:47pm On Apr 29, 2016
osabuohein:
it's much easier through a student visa. But why USA? Why not try Canada?

Seconded! I presume Canada has better immigrations policies compared to other countries. Here in the US you can only work for a certain number of years and afterwards return to your home country but you MUST first complete your studies in an accredited university here before you get any sort of work permit.

2 Likes

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by ATERI(m): 6:47pm On Apr 29, 2016
jaybee3:

Targeted recruitment of blacks and ethnic minorities by the MET

Be honest with me; since the release of Macpherson report that described The Metropolitan Police as institutionally racist, has anything changed in London with regard to how blacks in London are treated? Today, the Met has just over 3000 officers from the minority groups, that is 11% of the Met. BMG in london is over 40%. So what has changed since the death of Stephen Lawrence? Do you see my point? They like to deceive us that something has changed, but it hasn`t. The population of London is roughly 8 million, over 40% of which are minorities, why should the Metropolitan Police have 11% minorities in the force? You can see that there is no targeted recruitment; it doesn`t exist.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by erico2k2(m): 6:49pm On Apr 29, 2016
donephi:

This assertion is a fallacy , I stand to be corrected. On what premises are you making your conclusion?
Some can send £1000 home each month to thier savings gs account. In today's money that's N450,0000
These are not top earners.I ha e to small us here like that.they work in construction. Thier target is 5 yrs then rtn bck 9ja.

1 Like

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by bakynes(m): 6:50pm On Apr 29, 2016
Peckham is sure South East London SE 19 or thereabout. To the topic, yes many who studied in the UK in the 80's and early 90's have good white collar jobs like my Bro In law, a consultant who works for croydon council, is a British Citizen( which through him my sister got hers) has two houses in the UK and he is paying his mortagage and renting out. So many Nigerians too are doing quite well. Many whom didnt come there to study in the 80/90's just settle for Blue collar jobs that pays well though. The British Govt is damn serz abt their immigration policies and particularly target Africans( not blacks in generally) and Pakistanis/indians. I myself went there to study and wld have wished to stay but had to leave after my studies because of their emphasis on illegal immigrant, didnt want to be running with my heart on my hands. All in all it is a beautiful city and the most cosmopolitant city in the world, you can find a sizeable number of persons from all countries there.

11 Likes

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by RichYoungNigger(m): 6:51pm On Apr 29, 2016
olamikhail:

"Uche Kingsley hails from Anambra and recently marked his 34th year in London. He was a top-ranked civil servant before jumping ship in 1981. Today, Kingsley is a ticketing officer in a superstore in London. “I came to London as a student, but it is very expensive now to come here for study. But it remains the best option; otherwise you are coming to London to suffer"

Seriously, is it possible?, you left nigeria as a top ranked civil servant, started over as a student and has lived for over 34years.please how old is he now.? Abi u fit be top ranked civil servant below 35years? smiley grin cool

34 years in the U.K ??
And he's still a ticketing officer in a store ??
Is that an achievement ??

My broke mum made 60 million naira 2 years after coming to America and she had a crappy job then

7 Likes

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by erico2k2(m): 6:51pm On Apr 29, 2016
ATERI:

Be honest with me; since the release of Macpherson report that described The Metropolitan Police as institutionally racist, has anything changed in London with regard to how blacks in London are treated? Today, the Met has just over 3000 officers from the minority groups, that is 11% of the Met. BMG in london is over 40%. So what has changed since the death of Stephen Lawrence? Do you see my point? They like to deceive us that something has changed, but it hasn`t. The population of London is roughly 8 million, over 40% of which are minorities, why should the Metropolitan Police has 11% minorities in the force? You can see that there is no target recruitment; it doesn`t exist.

Even Stephen Lawrence mother came out to say a lot has changed.
Let me ask you. Where you arround like 30 years ago?or ever had a chat with folks that grew up in places like tottenham or Harkney?

3 Likes

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by RichYoungNigger(m): 6:52pm On Apr 29, 2016
fittty:

Seconded! I presume Canada has better immigrations policies compared to other countries. Here in the US you can only work for a certain number of years and afterwards return to your home country but you MUST first complete your studies in an accredited university here before you get any sort of work permit.

Lie.
Students can work in America.
All you need is your state id and ssn

2 Likes

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by erico2k2(m): 6:53pm On Apr 29, 2016
RichYoungNigger:

34 years in the U.K ??
And he's still a ticketing officer in a store ??
Is that an achievement ??

My broke mum made 60 million naira 2 years after coming to America and she had a crappy job then
Make una dey small small lie sha. How much does she send home monthly? U think that 60M nah beans?

5 Likes

Re: Experiences Of Nigerians Living In London by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 6:56pm On Apr 29, 2016
RichYoungNigger:

Let me advise you before it's too late.
What will the agent do for you ??

To do the paper, of course I'll go for the interview in person. Is it realistic?Though someone suggested Canada on here.

Really tired

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Peckham: The Ajegunle Of London / Graveyard Of Nigeria's Dead Airplanes (Photos) / A Lagos Bike Rider Uses Dustbin As Dispatch Box To Evade Arrest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.