Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,446 members, 7,812,365 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? (24789 Views)

FG To Reintroduce Tolls On Federal Highways / Fashola Lists 44 Highways, 63 Roads To Be Constructed In 3-Year Plan / The Two New Highways To Akwa Ibom Ikpeazu Just Started Constructing (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by Krismart(m): 12:18pm On Apr 30, 2016
apcmustwin:
Before this turns into tribal bashing, we have to understand that the topography of North and South are different. Northern States are not predisposed to erosion and other weathering conditions that destroys road.
Is that why the roads are not worked on at all and abandoned, because erosion will spoil them?
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by ba7man(m): 12:20pm On Apr 30, 2016
months:
BECAUSE YORUBAS VOTE NORTH AGAINST SOUTH FOR PRESIDENT.

MORE GREASE TO UR ELBOW NORTHERNERS.

KEEP USING NIGER DELTA OIL TO BUILD NORTHERN COUNTRY.

ONE DAY U WILL REQUEST FOR SHARIA KINGDOM FROM NIGERIA
What are your leaders doing with their own allocation?

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by iyb(m): 12:20pm On Apr 30, 2016
In the north you don't have to bribe the community or their leaders to get the job done.
2. Our leaders are not as corrupt as their southern counterparts
3. Our people want to see development as a matter of fact our people complain when they don't see any new Road construction project
4 the land is far better than that of the South less rain and erosion
5 gross misconduct by contractors is not tolerated
6 most Road construction in the north is given to competent contractors like jb,dantata, motherland rocad, setraco not any washed up company
7. There is more accountability in the north the people recognise a governor is working not by grammar or newspaper but by tangible projects
Northerners don't care about grammar all they want is work.
Wannan gwamnan baya aiki ba titi ba asibiti ba makaranta

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by dungas30(m): 12:20pm On Apr 30, 2016
SolaceAndexIII:
DISCLAIMER: This topic refers to the route from Warri to Kano Only please.

I travelled recently from Warri to Kano and here are my observation about the HighWays:-
Southern Part
From Warri passing through Benin by pass, Ekpoma, Auchi, Okpella and Okene straight to Lokoja
POTHOLES: About 60% of the Road is filled with potholes, very dangerous I must say.
DOUBLE LANE: Less than 35% of the Road is double laned, Not good Either.
------------------------------
Northern Part
From Lokoja passing through Abuja, Niger, Kaduna and Zaria straight to Kano.
POTHOLES: Less than 20% of the Road is filled with Potholes, at least this is good.
DOUBLE LANE: Up to 90% of the Road is double laned, a laudable feat.

Thats my analysis, what's your opinion guys.
SOURCE: My Journey to the North.

the were better because u ar an idiot u want to cos problem
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Apr 30, 2016
netafric:
Difference in climate (less rain fall), different soil and roads in the north get less use because there are fewer cars, probably fewer people and much less industry.
trash .. you've never been to the north... so STFU
I stay in Kano
So I dunno what u mean by fewer people or industries undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by enonamso(m): 12:21pm On Apr 30, 2016
I think it's because of the difference in weather...they don't experience much rain like us. ..and the soil there helps too than the watery one we have here....

another factor there Is because there are lesser cars and heavy trucks compared to the Dangotelike trucks we see here....since its cheaper to build roads there, quality is assured unlike the ones here where The cash will have to be dispensed into various hands....

just saying sha

1 Like

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by iyb(m): 12:29pm On Apr 30, 2016
enonamso:
I think it's because of the difference in weather...they don't experience much rain like us. ..and the soil there helps too than the watery one we have here....

another factor there Is because there are lesser cars and heavy trucks compared to the Dangotelike trucks we see here....since its cheaper to build roads there, quality is assured unlike the ones here where The cash will have to be dispensed into various hands....

just saying sha
There are more trucks in the north when compared with the south.
Food moves from the north to the south,dangote has more trucks in the north than the south and we have mangal of katsina with thousands of truck and mai kwa kwa katsina,aa rano, nnpc trucks, Mrs oil trucks, faro trucks,trucks from Cameroon, central Africa, Chad,niger Republic all these come through the north and don't forget the north is bigger than the south more populous than the south

1 Like

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by intergral(m): 12:31pm On Apr 30, 2016
GodMode:

There are many northerners on nl.

Op is probably a northerner claiming to be a southerner. Many of them also register with Yoruba and Igbo names to carry out their abusive e-warrior jobs.
True talk... Bro i am from adamawa but i travel a lot... You will weep when u travel from abuja to adamawa or borno!
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by donmoz(m): 12:33pm On Apr 30, 2016
apcmustwin:
Before this turns into tribal bashing, we have to understand that the topography of North and South are different. Northern States are not predisposed to erosion and other weathering conditions that destroys road.

Lies am sure u have never been to the north before
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by Rexnegro(m): 12:34pm On Apr 30, 2016
SolaceAndexIII:
DISCLAIMER: This topic refers to the route from Warri to Kano Only please.

I travelled recently from Warri to Kano and here are my observation about the HighWays:-
Southern Part
From Warri passing through Benin by pass, Ekpoma, Auchi, Okpella and Okene straight to Lokoja
POTHOLES: About 60% of the Road is filled with potholes, very dangerous I must say.
DOUBLE LANE: Less than 35% of the Road is double laned, Not good Either.
------------------------------
Northern Part
From Lokoja passing through Abuja, Niger, Kaduna and Zaria straight to Kano.
POTHOLES: Less than 20% of the Road is filled with Potholes, at least this is good.
DOUBLE LANE: Up to 90% of the Road is double laned, a laudable feat.

Thats my analysis, what's your opinion guys.
SOURCE: My Journey to the North.

they re better cos vehicular pressure isn't much on them compared like to the south...out of the said 25m vehicles in Nigeria we both no which zone harbor 2/3 of it, it's the south...in The north aside their state capital, You can sit from morning in anoda local govt area n count the numbers of vehicles that will pass....now You tell me y won't their road be good or better....aside that watch inflow of people from north to south it's just 3 much.....n That affect road except we want deny am. my claims is gotten from when i was there as a corper.
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by OBAFEMIawolowo: 12:36pm On Apr 30, 2016
Northern roads are not good either, if you are going to jos, you go see bad roads, okene road nko, how about gombe road.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by donmoz(m): 12:36pm On Apr 30, 2016
intergral:
True talk... Bro i am from adamawa but i travel a lot... You will weep when u travel from abuja to adamawa or borno!

Help me undastand weep in what sense I go to borno and adamawa all the time so I dnt get wat u are talking about
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by iyb(m): 12:37pm On Apr 30, 2016
intergral:
Adamawa that's my state of origin it's true the road to Adamawa is bad from gombe to yola but borno is not as bad from Gombi to biu is not as bad and from azare to maiduguri is very good actually
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by shegz1(m): 12:37pm On Apr 30, 2016
can you explain how that of Ilorin - jeba -mokwa- kontagora - jega- sokoto are also one of the worst road in Nigeria , only one way. Not all Mothers road are good
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by donmoz(m): 12:38pm On Apr 30, 2016
OBAFEMIawolowo:
Northern roads are not good either, if you are going to jos, you go see bad roads, okene road nko, how about gombe road.

Yes but compare them wif urx wic is worst
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Apr 30, 2016
SolaceAndexIII
the reasons are not far fetched .. northern highways are better than southern highways because of the substandard roads that are being built all over the country (including the north) ... but due to more heavy rainfall in the south.. the roads become damaged.
Now what point am I tryna make?
Simple! Are there not heavy rainfall in the north? Are there not heavy rainfall in London, or Paris or Miami? But why are their roads good? why are there no potholes?
Because they build world-class standard roads accompanied with good drainages so if there's a heavy rainfall, the water would flow off the road and carried by the drainages therefore the road will stand the test of time.

Hope I have answered your question?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by iyb(m): 12:40pm On Apr 30, 2016
OBAFEMIawolowo:
Kano to jos is bad, lokoja to okene is bad but gombe state has one of the best roads in the country go there and see for yourself
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by homesteady(m): 12:43pm On Apr 30, 2016
From outskirts of Abuja to kano, the road is dual! From Outskirts of Abaji to Gwagwalada, there is no single pothole, then from there to kaduna, very few potholes! From Kaduna to Kano, the are quite many potholes, but still far better than those gotten in the south!

I don't know why! grin
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Apr 30, 2016
Elijahrona2:
My brother... Leave matter for Mattias

Hausa people (North in general) although are corrupt, don't forsake the needs of their own people cause they've got unity than elsewhere whereas southern people, even when asked to maintain their own village would eat the money.

Me am at Warri and I can't see the completed roads that uduaghan promised #voicemail.
don't mind that useless uduaghan, that guy was a waste of time.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by HOLYMASK: 12:47pm On Apr 30, 2016
Delphi:
It's because of topography and climate. The composition of the subgrade on which the roads sit are different. The Southern's clay base are more failure prone because of its composition. Also, the volume/amount of rainfall (and traffic) on these areas is a significant causative factor to road failure. Know which of the two sides that has more rainfall and then know the side that the roads ought to fail more. There's also a lot that's beyond a layman's comprehension .

The only thing beyond a layman's understanding is that they own the country, that's the reason for the double lane. And secondly, Southerners are heavy users of road bkx even a poor man owns a car or atleast a barrow and that's the reason for the potholes.
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by Opharhe: 12:47pm On Apr 30, 2016
Xslaze3xd:

Okene and Lokoja are also linked to Abuja from the South, and they have very bad roads especially Okene
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by Opharhe: 12:48pm On Apr 30, 2016
Xslaze3xd:

Okene and Lokoja are also linked to Abuja from the South, and they have very bad roads especially Okene
Okene is North o. Kogi state.
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by OBAFEMIawolowo: 12:49pm On Apr 30, 2016
donmoz:

Yes but compare them wif urx wic is worst
you guys should stop crying for nothing. The only dualizes road in north is lokoja-abuja-kaduna-kano and this road is not all good, from lokoja to gwagalada is not too good.

In the south, ilesha-ife-ibadan-shagamu-lagos
Lagos-shagamu-ijebuode-benin
Lagos-abeokuta-ilaro
Benin-warri-ph
Ph-aba-umuahia-enugu
Benin-agbor-asaba-onitsha
Onitsha-owerri (this one is as good as the only dual way in the north)
Onitsha-awka-enugu
Ph-awka ibom
Are all dualized
What else do we want in the south, the situation in bad everywhere,

Jos-kaduna is singlelane
Jos to Abuja is single lane
Jos-bauchi-gombe-maduiguri is single lane
Makurdi-lafia-kaduna is single lane

All Of The roads in the north except lokoja - Kano and abuja-keffi are not really good single lane.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by OBAFEMIawolowo: 12:53pm On Apr 30, 2016
homesteady:
From outskirts of Abuja to kano, the road is dual! From Outskirts of Abaji to Gwagwalada, there is no single pothole, then from there to kaduna, very few potholes! From Kaduna to Kano, the are quite many potholes, but still far better than those gotten in the south!

I don't know why! grin
from onitsha to owerri,dual way and no single pothole

From Benin to onitsha is better than kaduna to kano

From enugu to abakalikiis probbaly the best road in this country

Fromakure to ilesha, no single pothole.

Go to the north and stop crying,most of you visit abuja only

1 Like

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by mmsen: 12:54pm On Apr 30, 2016
iyb:
In the north you don't have to bribe the community or their leaders to get the job done.
2. Our leaders are not as corrupt as their southern counterparts
3. Our people want to see development as a matter of fact our people complain when they don't see any new Road construction project
4 the land is far better than that of the South less rain and erosion
5 gross misconduct by contractors is not tolerated
6 most Road construction in the north is given to competent contractors like jb,dantata, motherland rocad, setraco not any washed up company
7. There is more accountability in the north the people recognise a governor is working not by grammar or newspaper but by tangible projects
Northerners don't care about grammar all they want is work.
Wannan gwamnan baya aiki ba titi ba asibiti ba makaranta

Is that why the north is awash with poverty? Illiteracy? Child marriage? Because the people want development and hold their leaders to account?

When have northern leaders ever been held to account for their fraudulent behavior?
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by Biospnx(m): 12:58pm On Apr 30, 2016
[b][/cos more travellers are on southern highways
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by donmoz(m): 1:00pm On Apr 30, 2016
OBAFEMIawolowo:
you guys should stop crying for nothing. The only dualizes road in north is lokoja-abuja-kaduna-kano and this road is not all good, from lokoja to gwagalada is not too good.

In the south, ilesha-ife-ibadan-shagamu-lagos
Lagos-shagamu-ijebuode-benin
Lagos-abeokuta-ilaro
Benin-warri-ph
Ph-aba-umuahia-enugu
Benin-agbor-asaba-onitsha
Onitsha-owerri (this one is as good as the only dual way in the north)
Onitsha-awka-enugu
Ph-awka ibom
Are all dualized
What else do we want in the south, the situation in bad everywhere,

Jos-kaduna is singlelane
Jos to Abuja is single lane
Jos-bauchi-gombe-maduiguri is single lane
Makurdi-lafia-kaduna is single lane

All Of The roads in the north except lokoja - Kano and abuja-keffi are not really good single lane.

My broda u only say wat u tink u kwn but deep down u kwn the truth

1 Like

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by iyb(m): 1:02pm On Apr 30, 2016
mmsen:

Is that why the north is awash with poverty? Illiteracy? Child marriage? Because the people want development and hold their leaders to account?

When have northern leaders ever been held to account for their fraudulent behavior?
Poverty don't make me laugh we are far richer than the southerners go and check we have far more richer people here than the south don't let tribalism cloud ur judgement.
Anytime they start talking about north and south the first thing southerners say poverty, illiteracy, child marriage the north has more schools, more literate population than the south and with the population comes a burden there are a lot of illiterates too
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by OBAFEMIawolowo: 1:05pm On Apr 30, 2016
donmoz:

My broda u only say wat u tink u kwn but deep down u kwn the truth
this is the truth, can we compare? South has more roads,more dual ways and better road aside those in Abuja.

No road in tbe north is like onitsha-owerri
Enugu-abakaliki
Benin-onitsha
Benin-warri.

Aside those in abuja
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by whitebeard(m): 1:18pm On Apr 30, 2016
nawa oohh..!! in short..

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by azimibraun: 1:21pm On Apr 30, 2016
[quote author=handie post=45178907]Ministers of works 1999-2016.
Anthony Akhakon Anenih:1999–2003
Adeseye Ogunlewe, (July 2003–March 2006)
Obafemi Anibaba (March 2006–Sep 2006)
Cornelius Adebayo (Sep 2006–Jan 2007)
Hassan Muhammed Lawal (December 2008 -
March 2010)
Sen. Mohammed Sanusi Daggash(March 2010-July 2011).
Mike Oziegbe Onelememen(July 2011-May 2015).
Babatunde Raji Fashola(November 2015-date). In Nigeria's 17 years of democracy, Southerners have been ministers of works for 14 years.... And two of these ministers who accumulatively spent 8 years in office are from Edo state(a state with a high level of failed and bad federal roads).
Nigerian Presidents between 1999-2016: Olusegun Obasanjo(May 1999-May 2007)
Umaru Musa Yaradua(May 2007-May 2010]
Goodluck Ebele Jonathan(May 2010-May 2015)
Muhammadu Buhari(May 2015-date). The south have been in power for 12 of 16 years of Democracy. With this Evidence, Op the problem with Southern roads is the Southern leaders and elites[/quote CLASSIC!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by 1freshdude: 1:22pm On Apr 30, 2016
ShineuEye:
Buhari as PTF chairman spent 80% of PTF money doing up northern roads. Northerners ruled Nigeria for 44yrs and you expect their roads to be substandard?

Read this 2010 article by a Yoruba man

Yeah thats the difference between a Northerner and a Southerner, they deliver projects in there constituencies when they get the chance. Pray what did Orubebe, Gej and the legion of Southerners in this last admin do for their region by the virtue of their office?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Presidential Committe Gives Oshiomhole 48 Hours To Cancels Okorocha's Suspension / Nigeria's Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Covers Time Magazine / Fulani Herdsmen Menace Is Gradually Phasing Out In The South

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.