Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,514 members, 7,812,600 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:58 PM

Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? (24792 Views)

FG To Reintroduce Tolls On Federal Highways / Fashola Lists 44 Highways, 63 Roads To Be Constructed In 3-Year Plan / The Two New Highways To Akwa Ibom Ikpeazu Just Started Constructing (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by fairheven: 1:25pm On Apr 30, 2016
apcmustwin:
Before this turns into tribal bashing, we have to understand that the topography of North and South are different. Northern States are not predisposed to erosion and other weathering conditions that destroys road.

i will believe this if only you can convince me that the same scenario applies in other countries of the world,as in the quality of a road in ...let say GHAna ,is determined by topography of the regions?

are we the only country that has north and south?
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by orisa37: 1:26pm On Apr 30, 2016
The North doesn't suffer from the kind of torrential storms and erosion that the South suffer from..

1 Like

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by fairheven: 1:26pm On Apr 30, 2016
apcmustwin:
Before this turns into tribal bashing, we have to understand that the topography of North and South are different. Northern States are not predisposed to erosion and other weathering conditions that destroys road.

i will believe this if only you can convince me that the same scenario applies in other countries of the world,as in the quality of a road in ...let say GHAna ,is determined by topography of the regions?

are we the only country that have north and south?
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by ElCapone(m): 1:38pm On Apr 30, 2016
Texcoco:
[b] Because of gross neglect and decades of tribalism effeted by the northern rulers since the inception of this country...Tis the only reason why Northerners are more employable in the civil service and military...Strategic National institutions and facilities are placed in the North...Northern universities are better constructed and well funded than their southern counterparts...etc. The issue of road is far more neglible to the sense of entitlement most northerners have got as far who gets what in nigeria is concerned.This gross sense of entitlement pervades about our society and perception between boths parties albiet differently thus breeding a dangerous trend of importunity as you've git Fulani herds men with AKs wiping out communities whilst the authorities- populated with their kinsmen and those with huge stakes on these herdsmen due to cultural,religious or ethnic ties- are keen to look the other if not to assist and protect them from reprisals.....The issue of roads is nothing compared to the neo-colonialists and their importunity..[/b]
and i guess da north has also tied down ur own part of da alocation sent to ur state whose main purpose is meant to provide dis same roadz u making noise abt, its hard to believe dat a basic necessity like road is lacking in ur own part of da country yet u cant hold ur leaderz responsible because of bigotry. I guess very soon even unwantd pregnancies from ur part of da country wld b blamed on northernerz.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by sirempeg: 1:39pm On Apr 30, 2016
Xslaze3xd:

Okene and Lokoja are also linked to Abuja from the South, and they have very bad roads especially Okene
if that of oken it shall soon be proper for the land, dont forget okene is not a state on it own,
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by HIPROFILE(m): 1:47pm On Apr 30, 2016
1. Roads are more prone to serious erosion in the south than northern Nigeria
2. I think they have less heavy vehicles (trucks) plying their high ways compare to the south
3. Standard of road construction in the north is always better than the south for instance u see 9 inch tar in the north to about 6 inch..south this error to me is from our people from the south except lately eg. Akwa ibom state.
5. I believe we have more road users in the south compare to north I mean car owners not population..oo

selah...
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by billyG(m): 1:48pm On Apr 30, 2016
ShineuEye:
Buhari as PTF chairman spent 80% of PTF money doing up northern roads. Northerners ruled Nigeria for 44yrs and you expect their roads to be substandard?

Read this 2010 article by a Yoruba man
So how do u wnt buhari to do southern roads when d chief ask him 4 Bribe u knows he dnt giv or take bribe.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by eflintsone(m): 1:51pm On Apr 30, 2016
i remember my trips to maiduguri by road frm lagos.. u pass tru smooth ,wide, good roads frm abuja down to maiduguri...maiduguri city itself gat better roads than lagos excluding the island tho...
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Apr 30, 2016
Because they are set of wicked people and cheats run in their vein, they prefer sharing funds allocated for development in their area.

No excuse will be accepted because in Europe and other countries have worst topography than that of southerners but there are massive development and good roads.

Agitation for Biafra is a good example of greed and wickedness they exhibit.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by Moheat(m): 2:01pm On Apr 30, 2016
Zico5:

Why do u like to deceive urself like this. So the 14 years that south ruled is not enough to repair and upgrade our highway. Are u defending Gej on this also. There is problem in this country.
Who Gej epp? BTW must you drag Gej into any argument on NL? The OP only asked a simple question and I gave my own reason. It's a free world you can give yours since you disagree with mine.
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by akigbemaru: 2:03pm On Apr 30, 2016
Nice observations to this writer!

I can relate with what the OP is saying and I tell you from experience that the southern elites in most cases obstruct development or quality amenities allocated to them for selfish short lived gains.
The excuse that the reason facilities are better up North is because the North have ruled longer than other regions doesnt hold water. Federal character entails that all regions are represented at the center at every point in time. So if your representatives care about you then there ought be facilities on ground at least in the areas/sectors occupied previously or presently by a southerner in the south.

A guy was contracted by the government to upgrade and digitize a community secondary school in a remote community in Rivers state.The contract was to the tune of approximately 22 million naira, so you can imagine what that could do for a village school. The contract was from Abuja (Federal) so the contractor of Hausa descent, purchased the needed items (computers and electronic gadgets) and came down to Port Harcourt to execute the contract. He paid a ferry (as you need to cross a river to get to this community) and his gadgets where ferried across to the community. On getting to the community with his technicians to start installation, a group of boys accosted his team and apprehended him and seized his consignment. He explained to them what he was about to do and that the community was to be better off for it but they would not listen and insisted that he follows them to their rulers place. He went with them to see their Chief with the expectation that he would be reasonable and happy about what they have come to do. The Chief flared when they got to his house, he said why would the contractor be an Hausa man? ''so you collect money for contract and use only a quarter to execute the contract he said, go bring the contract paper''. All his explanations that all was well and that the contract is been executed with quality materials fell on deaf ear. When the contractor saw that those guys were not willing to release the gadgets, he pleaded with them that the contract paper was in his hotel room and that he would go get it.
The contractor a newbie in the game did not really understand their rationale and anger towards him, he thought maybe the reason they act like this is because of the Wururu attitudes of most Nigerian contractors, may be they really care that I do a good work?
The contractor picked the contract letter from his hotel room and was about returning to the community when a second thought crossed his mind. He went to a business center and reduced the figure on the contract and then rushed back to the community with the altered document.
The new document carried 15 million naira. The Chief on seeing the contract letter said he should go and bring the 15 million and forget the project, to which the contractor replied that only part of the money has been paid, and the balance was subject to the project completion and certification by the community. He also said that he had spent the initial funds to purchase the gadgets in their custody and there will be no way to come by 15 million naira. After much rigmarole the Chief said he should go and raise 7 million naira which he agreed to, but the contractors concern was on the certification and signing of his papers by the community authorities so that he could get his balance. The Chief said that should recover the money by selling the gadgets and that signing his papers is a none issue and that he would get the appropriate guys to sign the paper.
They arranged some of the gadgets and the Chief and community people took pictures in turns and made it seem like the gadgets had been fitted in the schools. The guys completion papers was signed afterwards and all the gadgets were released to him. Chief followed him to PH city with 4 boys to collect the money. He went to his bank, withdrew 7 million naira and gave to the Chief.
He went to Ogbunabali in PH afterwards and sold the gadgets for some discount. He made a fortune from this contract, but he was really worried about the attitudes of the southern elders...he would still have made profit if he had executed the contract.

The contractor said he executed contracts to upgrade, digitize schools in different communities in the North without problems or this kind of saboteurish behavior. So next time you see a good infrastructure in the North its because their ''village Chief'' did not demand for half the contract money instead of the project.

There are a million and one cases like this in PH for instance. Community people did not allow Amaechi to rehabilitate some terrible roads in like ''pure water Rumuodara area'' for instance,till he paid them some outrageous amount of money which he refused to pay. Eze gbaka gbaka wanted some amount of money before the road along Woji would be constructed; infact work started on that road not long after he died.
So before you blame the Northerners for all your woes, be aware that you (Southerners) are your own enemies. Southerners are very selfish and suffer from temporal myopia, their clarity decreases with distance (they dont see beyond their nose) and would sabotage for immediate gains the infrastructures on which their quality of lives depend on.

#IAMASOUTHERNERBYTHEWAY

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by cybriz82(m): 2:09pm On Apr 30, 2016
D mama wey born okene n lokoja finish sch in ajegnle universty...y d mama wey born abuja kano sokoto zarai kaduna finish frm universty of new york.
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by cybriz82(m): 2:09pm On Apr 30, 2016
D mama wey born okene n lokoja finish sch in ajegnle universty...y d mama wey born abuja kano sokoto zarai kaduna finish frm universty of new york city.
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by Ahmedhussain3463: 2:27pm On Apr 30, 2016
handie:
Ministers of works 1999-2016.
Anthony Akhakon Anenih:1999–2003
Adeseye Ogunlewe, (July 2003–March 2006)
Obafemi Anibaba (March 2006–Sep 2006)
Cornelius Adebayo (Sep 2006–Jan 2007)
Hassan Muhammed Lawal (December 2008 -
March 2010)
Sen. Mohammed Sanusi Daggash(March 2010-July 2011).
Mike Oziegbe Onelememen(July 2011-May 2015).
Babatunde Raji Fashola(November 2015-date). In Nigeria's 17 years of democracy, Southerners have been ministers of works for 14 years.... And two of these ministers who accumulatively spent 8 years in office are from Edo state(a state with a high level of failed and bad federal roads).
Nigerian Presidents between 1999-2016: Olusegun Obasanjo(May 1999-May 2007)
Umaru Musa Yaradua(May 2007-May 2010]
Goodluck Ebele Jonathan(May 2010-May 2015)
Muhammadu Buhari(May 2015-date). The south have been in power for 12 of 16 years of Democracy. With this Evidence, Op the problem with Southern roads is the Southern leaders and elites
u provide a perfect ans to d questions,i pray God increase ur wisdom|

1 Like

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by handie(m): 2:40pm On Apr 30, 2016
Ahmedhussain3463:
u provide a perfect ans to d questions,i pray God increase ur wisdom|
Amen
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by paix(m): 2:47pm On Apr 30, 2016
Op, you're not fair in your judgement. You did not show us how the roads down south look like.
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Apr 30, 2016
Blame the governors of the south for the bad roads, even though they re fed roads. The governors should have made palliative interventions,

At times fed sends allocations to fix these roads but the govs divert these funds and develop pot bellies for them selves
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by makzeze: 2:53pm On Apr 30, 2016
Delphi:
It's because of topography and climate. The composition of the subgrade on which the roads sit are different. The Southern's clay base are more failure prone because of its composition. Also, the volume/amount of rainfall (and traffic) on these areas is a significant causative factor to road failure. Know which of the two sides that has more rainfall and then know the side that the roads ought to fail more. There's also a lot that's beyond a layman's comprehension .
good analysis, but you forgot to add that the roads are not well built, be it in the south or north. places like southern asia, europe record heavy rainfalls and yet they dont have potholes on their roads
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by mfm04622: 2:59pm On Apr 30, 2016
This OP sha! The ONLY dual carriage way in the North is the one from Abuja to Kano! There is no other dual carriage way in th North and the OP is still jealous of that single one they have! Haba!!!!

For the quality, it is because is their soil type. The red laterite soil common in the South is prone to weathering by rain. Not much of that in the North. Also, North has less rainfall
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by adanny01(m): 3:21pm On Apr 30, 2016
SolaceAndexIII:
DISCLAIMER: This topic refers to the route from Warri to Kano Only please.

I travelled recently from Warri to Kano and here are my observation about the HighWays:-
Southern Part
From Warri passing through Benin by pass, Ekpoma, Auchi, Okpella and Okene straight to Lokoja
POTHOLES: About 60% of the Road is filled with potholes, very dangerous I must say.
DOUBLE LANE: Less than 35% of the Road is double laned, Not good Either.
------------------------------
Northern Part
From Lokoja passing through Abuja, Niger, Kaduna and Zaria straight to Kano.
POTHOLES: Less than 20% of the Road is filled with Potholes, at least this is good.
DOUBLE LANE: Up to 90% of the Road is double laned, a laudable feat.

Thats my analysis, what's your opinion guys.
SOURCE: My Journey to the North.

Thats because you are not a highway engineer.

If you were, you will know that soil engineering properties is not the same in every nook and crany of Nigeria. Because of this, roads are cheaper and more durable in Northern Nigeria than south.
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by luvly101: 3:33pm On Apr 30, 2016
Just here to learn smiley

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by Realdeals(m): 3:35pm On Apr 30, 2016
Less vehicle ply the northern roads compare to the south.
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by easymanofdpeopl(m): 3:59pm On Apr 30, 2016
SolaceAndexIII:

I travelled recently from Warri to Kano and here are my observation about the HighWays:-
Southern Part
From Warri passing through Benin by pass, Ekpoma, Auchi, Okpella and Okene straight to Lokoja
POTHOLES: About 60% of the Road is filled with potholes, very dangerous I must say.
Northern Part
POTHOLES: Less than 20% of the Road is filled with Potholes, at least this is good.

Our leaders in SS SE SW are just embezzle our money although they are eating our yam here also(North), but not like the other side of the country

1 Like

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by ZUBY77(m): 4:26pm On Apr 30, 2016
fcbonsai:
most contract that are carried out in the north r done without d cintractors needing to bribe a thousand and one entities but here in the south, any contractor will have to bribe virtually all the 'bribeable' individuals before he successfully completes the project...all the numerous bribes will affect thw project financially leading to substandard materials being used

You are just being mischievous because for every 1 million vehicles that pass through Southern highways, 100 thousand passes through northern highway. Vehicle frictions damage roads.
Soil composition is another factor

1 Like

Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by mentorandfriend(m): 4:46pm On Apr 30, 2016
Just one journey, and you're beginning to form an opinion. Not so bro.
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by usy309(m): 4:58pm On Apr 30, 2016
GodMode:
They have less rain in the north.

Have u evev been to North....Less Rain is not an issue
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by tpiah11: 5:01pm On Apr 30, 2016
That picture is from Cameroon I think.

But northern highways are better than southern ones in general due to the topography and climate.
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by CioAngels(f): 5:06pm On Apr 30, 2016
The southerns roads are bad becos our governors steals 70% of road budget and use only 30% which is for death trap patch work. While our governor in the north steals 60% and use 40% plus additional funds the previous heads who were from the north an appropriation separate for them. But remember that obj is from the south but did not do the major road that lead to his ota farm so how could there have been an appropriatiom from the budget for roads in the south..
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by captaincutie: 5:09pm On Apr 30, 2016
SolaceAndexIII:

Southern Part
Northern Part

so dis pix u post which part of north day road day mumu day road in north is built on a good land with less difficulty cs of the terrain bd south road not DAT as north and require more many and good materials cs eg is dy calabar highway cs its swampy ground and will not be easy and needs great expertise but corruption
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by lakizmet(m): 5:45pm On Apr 30, 2016
Was pmb d life chairman of PTF?hw many roads dd obasanjo n goodluck constructed during dia tenure.we av 2b objective in our reasoning.d topography contributed 2d bad road in d south but most s due 2selfish of our representathieves n community who prefer dia personal gain 2d development of dia community......
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by 1freshdude: 6:03pm On Apr 30, 2016
[akigbemaru ]

Hello, when you copy another persons work you quote him accordingly. Its not enough to say this writer, it should appear the same exact way as you copied it including the moniker or else it is regarded as intellectual theft. Take note.
Re: Why Are Northern Highways Better Than Southern Ones? by walexy14(m): 6:13pm On Apr 30, 2016
Because of the The Southern's base clay , it makes it more expensive to construct a road in the south

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Northern Elders, Groups Reject Southern Governors’ Position On Power Shift / Jubilation As Kaduna State Govt Begins Payment Of N30,000 New Minimum Wage / Bill On Donkeys Tears Senators Apart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.