Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,180 members, 7,811,449 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:51 AM

Chemical & Process Engineers Forum - Career (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Chemical & Process Engineers Forum (79890 Views)

Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! / AEROSPACE ENGINEERS FORUM : Spacecraft, Aircraft Experts. / Mechanical Engineers Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by debosky(m): 9:31pm On Apr 21, 2011
tbenj4u:

I am new in this house. I just graduated from one of the Nigerian University. I av read through the views and comments of members of this house and i found out that they are really sincere and helpful. Up chemical Engineers.
Pls I am in a phase of making life decision in my life and I want any experienced chemical engineer to advise me.
I am planning to forge ahead to UK/USA for masters but i am yet to choose or decide which course to really enrol for. I want to further for my masters in order to gather more knowledge, to be more employable to the labour market and to earn a good income. I also plan later in life to set up my own company/industry(by God's grace), so i want to study along this path.
I am contemplating Masters in Chemical Engineering (Non-thesis) or Petroleum Engineering but i dont really want to streamline my knowledge because of the chances in Nigeria.
So may I ask the house, Is MSc in Chemical Engineering a hot demand in Oil and Gas or what path would you advise me to tow as a graduate of Che Engrg from nigerian university.

thank you

Make up your mind - you said you want to start an industrial facility of your own in the future yet you're mentioning petroleum engineering. Which do you really want to do?

What areas interested you in your undergraduate studies? Did you do a research project? What are your strengths and weaknesses? It's more important to address these questions before thinking about an MSc.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by debosky(m): 9:44pm On Apr 21, 2011
atobz:

Hi People.I need an understanding of the Refrigeration concept used in the LNG industry preferably the Conoco Phillips Cascade process.
I have a background in Chemical Engineering and presently working on an LNG project.Will appreciate if I can get any publication from anyone in the house that may be helpful.Many Thanks.

The following link is a good starting point:

http://www.fwc.com/publications/tech_papers/files/TariqLNG.pdf

Why are you specifically interested in the Cascade process? Is that what your particular project intends to use? FYI, Nigeria LNG's process is based on the APCI technology.

If you want information specifically on the cascade process, go through the two links below.

http://www.lngpedia.com/wp-content/uploads/lng_technology/liquefaction/The%20Phillips%20Optimized%20Cascade%20LNG%20Process,%20a%20Quarter%20Century%20of%20Improvement,%20DL%20Andress.pdf

http://lnglicensing.conocophillips.com/EN/Documents/ConocoPhillipsLNG_Brochure.pdf

The Cascade process is a closely guarded proprietary system - the best sources for information will be through Bechtel/ConocoPhillips.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by sukhdave: 12:28am On May 09, 2011
Hi all,
Does anyone on here have the "Surface production Operations Vol. 1" ken Arnold/Maurice Stewart PDF?

I really need it badly. Accidentally damaged a copy of my bosses original one,

Thanks guys
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by debest1(m): 4:45pm On May 09, 2011
sukhdave:

Hi all,
Does anyone on here have the "Surface production Operations Vol. 1" ken Arnold/Maurice Stewart PDF?

I really need it badly. Accidentally damaged a copy of my bosses original one,

Thanks guys
Try this oga wink wink
snthesis:

post your email and i'll send it to you
Snthesis was kind enough to send me a copy, he might be able to help.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by chrisegwua: 4:53pm On May 09, 2011
visit 4shared & get a free download
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by cosmas4u(m): 8:10pm On May 09, 2011
try www.jobrollers.com Maybe you will find your life changing jobs there

Goodluck!
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by wokemzine: 5:15pm On May 18, 2011
I am new in the house, pls i need ur help, i am planing on going to india for process control & instrumentation courses, but don't really know the best training institute for that. I have googled it, but keep seeing so many. im actually confused. Any helping nigerian with knowlegde of indian training institutes should pls assist me. & is it a wise idea, going to india for such courses?.
Thank you all,
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by tabarity: 3:03am On May 21, 2011
wokemzine:

I am new in the house, pls i need your help, i am planing on going to india for process control & instrumentation courses, but don't really know the best training institute for that. I have googled it, but keep seeing so many. im actually confused. Any helping nigerian with knowlegde of indian training institutes should pls assist me. & is it a wise idea, going to india for such courses?.
Thank you all,

If what you mean is an advanced degree (say MSc), then I'd recommend the IITs (Indian Institute of Techs). These schools are highly prestigious, even more than some US schools (by objective standards). Also, be aware that nobody competes with Indians when it comes to computational applications such as control and automation. However I think you should also bear in mind what opportunities might be available after graduation.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by chrisegwua: 9:45am On May 24, 2011
THE COMPANY:
Automated Process Limited, a sales and services company in industrial process measurement control and automation products in Nigeria since 1999 and Nigerian agent of reputable international manufacturers like: Endress+Hauser, Danfoss, Eurotherm, SSD Drives, IFM Electronics, Weidmuller, Boge, Advantech, Beamex, Beko and others. Read more about us at www.automated-process.com.

POSITIONS:
Sales and Services Engineers in Lagos office.

RESPONSIBILITIES:
Sales and services of industrial process measurement control and automation products throughout the territory of Nigeria. Successful candidates will be required to grow sales, build brand names and provide fast and efficient after sales support services in the following companies’ divisions:
Compressed Air System
Measurement and Analysis
Controls and Connectivity

QUALIFICATIONS:
BSC or HND Electronic Physics, Electrical/Electronic Engineering.

EXPERIENCE:
Post NYSC experiences are not necessary but those with experiences have a better chance.

LOCATIONS:
Candidates are expected to reside or can be accommodated in or around Lagos. Automated Process will not be responsible for their relocation and accommodation except official relocation after confirmation of appointment.

REMUNERATION:
Remuneration will be base on company salary and sales commission structure.

TRAINING:
Successful candidates will undergo a 3-12 months training base on our manufacturers’ training program in Lagos as applicable to his/her responsibilities but training bond will be applied as required.

Candidates should forward their curriculum vitae to The Administrative Manager, Lagos at training@automatedprocessng.com on or before May 30. 2011. Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview in Lagos.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by ezme(m): 7:44pm On Jun 02, 2011
Good day house, I presently intend to start learning Aspen Hysys 2004 on my own and have good grasp of it within a month. I want advice from fellow chemical engineers who have done this before. I would need all the advice I can get for a good head start. I have all the necessary manuals 1.simulation basis
2. Tutorial & Applications
3.Operations guide
4.COMthermo Reference guide
5. Azeotropic seperation guide
6. Seperation guide
7. Thermodynamic workbench guide
8. Upstream option guide.

Any form of advice on what order to proceed and what to look out for would be really appreciated
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by raphok: 8:33am On Jun 17, 2011
debest1 , safetyman1 and every other people that had been leading this thread. I am new but need some help. I am a Chemical Engr graduate from Nigerian Uni
What is your advice for me about Uni Surrey Msc Process and Environmental Systems Engineering choice course. I made my choice by course and findings from the internet. I had Imperial(Advance Chemical Engr with Process Option), and Sheffield as option but the scholarship fee that was available to me ($30000)was below the one that could carry imperial and the course also shifted and Sheffield the closest course they had was safety loss and prevention control engineering which I felt was a little bit away from the the one in surrey and now I just had some folks saying something is wrong with my choice of Uni Surreyand another good friend suggested I should have considered Canada because of job things . I have not been there and dont know how this course is inside the uni and the certificate outside after the Study. Any suggestion and advice will be most appreciate.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by raphok: 8:40am On Jun 17, 2011
debest1 , safetyman1 and every other people that had been leading this thread. I am new here but need some help. I am a Chemical Engr graduate from Nigerian Uni
What is your advice for me about Uni Surrey Msc Process and Environmental Systems Engineering course. I made my choice by course and findings from the internet. I had Imperial(Advance Chemical Engr with Process Option), and Sheffield as option but the scholarship fee that was available to me ($30000)was below the one that could carry imperial and the course also shifted and Sheffield the closest course they had was safety loss and prevention control engineering which I felt was a little bit away from the the one in surrey and now I just had some folks saying something is wrong with my choice of Uni Surrey and another good friend suggested I should have considered Canada because of job things . I have not been there and dont know how this course is inside the uni and the certificate outside after the Study. Any suggestion and advice will be most appreciated.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by KennyG6(m): 10:58am On Jun 17, 2011
raphok:

debest1 , safetyman1 and every other people that had been leading this thread. I am new here but need some help. I am a Chemical Engr graduate from Nigerian Uni
What is your advice for me about Uni Surrey Msc Process and Environmental Systems Engineering course. I made my choice by course and findings from the internet. I had Imperial(Advance Chemical Engr with Process Option), and Sheffield as option but the scholarship fee that was available to me ($30000)was below the one that could carry imperial and the course also shifted and Sheffield the closest course they had was safety loss and prevention control engineering which I felt was a little bit away from the the one in surrey and now I just had some folks saying something is wrong with my choice of Uni Surrey and another good friend suggested I should have considered Canada because of job things . I have not been there and dont know how this course is inside the uni and the certificate outside after the Study. Any suggestion and advice will be most appreciated.
Well from what you've stated here you don't seem to have much of a choice other than to stick with Uni Surrey; and looking at the course modules I don't think it's that bad as it offers you a broad range of courses and guildford is not such a bad area to live in. It is going to cost you a lot in terms of accommodation sha

•Strategic Information Management
•Supply Chain Management
•Business and Research Seminars
•Software Development
•Intelligent Information Systems
•Process Systems Design
•Renewable Energy Integration
•Biomass Processing Technology Exploration
•Petroleum Exploration and Production
•Process Safety and operation Integrity
•Refinery and Petrochemical process
•Process Modelling and Simulation
•Embedded System for Process Control
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by debosky(m): 11:19am On Jun 17, 2011
If you have financial constraints and have been offered some funding at Surrey, I think it is a good school to study at.

The key here is what you are really interested in. The Sheffield course you mentioned is highly focused on loss prevention/process safety. Is that the line of career you want to pursue?

If you're still unsure about what specifically you want to do as a process/chemical engineer, then the Surrey course has a lot of varied content that should give you a good grounding with an opportunity to focus on a particular area during your studies.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by debosky(m): 11:24am On Jun 17, 2011
A question to some of the 'older' folk in the house.

I assume some of you would have gone through the IChemE chartered engineer process so I'm looking for some information.

1. If you completed your undergrad education in Nigeria and a masters degree elsewhere, was your undergrad design project sufficient to meet the design requirement of the educational qualifications required for an application for chartered status?

If not, did the masters degree provide the design requirement or did you need to do a design report specifically to meet this IChemE requirement?

2. How many years of working experience did you have before applying for chartered status? What tips or advice can you provide for writing the C&C report required?
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by KennyG6(m): 11:46am On Jun 17, 2011
debosky:

A question to some of the 'older' folk in the house.

I assume some of you would have gone through the IChemE chartered engineer process so I'm looking for some information.

1. If you completed your undergrad education in Nigeria and a masters degree elsewhere, was your undergrad design project sufficient to meet the design requirement of the educational qualifications required for an application for chartered status?

If not, did the masters degree provide the design requirement or did you need to do a design report specifically to meet this IChemE requirement?

2. How many years of working experience did you have before applying for chartered status? What tips or advice can you provide for writing the C&C report required?
From my experience they don’t tend to reckon with the Nigerian undergrad programme, but most of the hassle was with getting them to move you from affiliate to associate membership after my MSc as they insisted the naija programme was not recognised. Your postgrad design project should suffice at least based on my experience a few of my friends who were in the same boat saying that I also had a friend who was asked to write a test.
You need at least 4 years experience to cover areas such as design, safety, management etc it all depends on which sector you are employed in and whether it is a dedicated graduate programme or not. The grad programme should have you ready in 4 years, and they assign a mentor to you from day 1. Advice is don’t do what i did, by leaving it till when you are about to apply for your chartership before compiling your report. Make notes of the various competences/experiences required as you go along.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by debosky(m): 12:20pm On Jun 17, 2011
Thanks big bros Kenny. grin

I personally had no issues getting associate membership, I applied after working for a couple of months. The issue I've had so far related to the design element of the IChemE academic requirements. My Masters degree was not UK based so the (experimental) design work that I did wasn't deemed as meeting the design element.

Do UK Masters programmes usually involve a process design project? I wouldn't have thought you'd have enough time to do proper design work with all the other course work in a year, unless it was a really small project.

I insisted I wasn't going to do a separate design report just for IChemE purposes so I asked them to assess my undergrad design report from Nigeria instead. Just got a response back now saying it has been assessed and accepted as meeting the standard so that means the academic requirements are sorted. smiley

All those long hours weren't wasted then - I can say I was part of only about 10% of my undergrad class that took that design project seriously.grin

A couple of friends haven't been assessed as meeting academic requirements yet, so that's still an issue for some of them - I think I might have been an exception in that sense.

I am on a grad programme, just that I changed roles after a year from the HSE scheme to get into the process engineering scheme. The scheme I'm on should last 3-4 years but I'm aiming to get out in 3 (despite the change I made) so I can get a pay rise. grin

The mentor process is still a bit loose for now, I did choose a mentor and we've had like 2 meetings, but nothing much has come from it. The programme requires you to make logbook entries to cover competencies and the like, but I still think there's quite a bit of work to do. I'm aiming at submitting my application in the next 12-18 months.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by KennyG6(m): 12:34pm On Jun 17, 2011
I personally had no issues getting associate membership, I applied after working for a couple of months. The issue I've had so far related to the design element of the IChemE academic requirements. My Masters degree was not UK based so the (experimental) design work that I did wasn't deemed as meeting the design element.
Do UK Masters programmes usually involve a process design project? I wouldn't have thought you'd have enough time to do proper design work with all the other course work in a year, unless it was a really small project. Oh yes, remember it is a 12-month programme. In my time of the 10 MSc students only 2 of us did a design project and the trend with the university was that they get the MSc students to do the first part of the design project with the final year B(eng)/Bsc students. Then for the 3rd semester you basically do a detailed/advanced design work. [/i][/color]
I am on a grad programme, just that I changed roles after a year from the HSE scheme to get into the process engineering scheme. The scheme I'm on should last 3-4 years but I'm aiming to get out in 3 (despite the change I made) so I can get a pay rise. grin And move over to contracting, start earning your £40/50ph[i]
[color=#990000]

The mentor process is still a bit loose for now, I did choose a mentor and we've had like 2 meetings, but nothing much has come from it. The programme requires you to make logbook entries to cover competencies and the like, but I still think there's quite a bit of work to do. I'm aiming at submitting my application in the next 12-18 months. You can also attend the “getcharted” seminars if you have the time, they can be helpful. [i][/i][color=#990000][/color]
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by raphok: 2:50pm On Jun 17, 2011
Kenny_G and debosky thanks I appreciate your comments. And dont mind me if I am asking some questions latter that look funny, as I have many more on Surrey life in UK etc, I have never been there before
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by debosky(m): 9:06pm On Jun 17, 2011
@ raphok

Ask and I'll try to answer as best as I can.

@ Kenny

Interesting info about UK Masters, I didn't actually know that.

As for contracting, I want to get my chartered status before taking the plunge, that way I can command higher fees. grin

I've attended one of those get chartered sessions by webinar but the information provided is not much different from what you can get online. My target is to approach recently chartered people inhouse and find out what they did to get chartered.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by raphok: 9:37pm On Jun 19, 2011
Hello debosky I earlier posted this in the thread :Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered and ever since I have not gotten a single reply. Though deviant from the purpose of this thread I believe you can be of help. Bros debosky am not just hacking on the blank cheque you handed me, but sure need an answer.

My Case

I have a $30000(about 18500ponds) scholarship with the letter of award given to me already to do msc process and environmental systems engineering in Uni Surrey. Last year was when I was supposed to use it but the sponsors delayed far beyond the last mandated day I can resume and I eventually differed it to this year and when they where about to make payment they gave 12,500pounds which was the rate for last year. Meaning I had about 6000pound left. But the rate for this year is 14120pounds meaning I have less than 5000p left on my award letter. The sponsor is supposed to do the application for me but things may turn the other way round since this is Nigeria. From all I gleaned so far on UK visa processing I have an inkling there is trouble ahead.

My Question

Is Uni Surrey not considered outside London with 5400pound requirement as it is not specified in the CAS I just got from the uni

If the sponsor handles the application will they not deny one the Visa still without the 5400 or 72000p condition

Can one not really leave below this required sum

Again my school ask me to wait that since my school is resuming 26 sept 2011 that if i apply now I will get zero for my CAS when is the best time for me to apply then
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by raphok: 3:07am On Jun 21, 2011
Sorry everyone about my deviant questions, justwise in the thread I talked about answered them except the last one we can now get focused. I can now get on to the real thing. Thank God there are lot of experience Process Engineers in the house that have seen and conquered and are still conquering even in UK. What do I need to do in other to succeed doing Msc in UK I truly want to make the best out of my UK study- making distinction and knowing the real stuff altogether. Knowing that Process Engineering is tough what should I do. Your advice I strongly believe is the leverage this newbie needs to conquer in unfamiliar territory and I holds them high than you even think
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by debosky(m): 5:55pm On Jun 21, 2011
@ raphok

Unfortunately I can't help with the visa related questions - please ask again on the visa thread for assistance in that regard.

However, if you are being sponsored I would expect the sponsor to make a proper application that wouldn't get rejected.

Regarding expenses, it is quite costly to live in Surrey (Guildford) as many of the well off people who work in London but don't want to live in the city live around there.

Regarding what to do to succeed, focus on one thing at a time. I think you should focus on resolving any outstanding issues or questions regarding your visa and once you've sorted that out we can talk further.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jun 22, 2011
@synthesis. Pls can u send me surface production vol 1 by ken arnold too. My email. Kaybob@gmail.com
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by Mojir(f): 9:21am On Jun 27, 2011
Debosky, Please I need to urgently have a chat with you on some Chemical engineering issues.

How do I reach you?

Regards
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by snthesis(m): 11:44am On Jun 27, 2011
valacious:

@synthesis. Pls can u send me surface production vol 1 by ken arnold too. My email. Kaybob@gmail.com

done
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jun 27, 2011
@synthesis. My oga sorry, d email address i dropped was wrong. Apologies. Pls send to this kaybob24@gmail.com. Regards.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by debosky(m): 10:18pm On Jun 27, 2011
Mojir:

Debosky, Please I need to urgently have a chat with you on some Chemical engineering issues.

How do I reach you?

Regards

My yahoo id is in my profile, just add .co.uk to drop me an email. . . .maybe we can agree a time to have a chat.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by snthesis(m): 8:12am On Jun 28, 2011
valacious:

@synthesis. My oga sorry, d email address i dropped was wrong. Apologies. Pls send to this kaybob24@gmail.com. Regards.
acquaintance better suits,

done

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (20) (Reply)

This Is How Much Most Graduates Earn In Nigeria As Starting Salary - Stutern / What Are The Highest Paying Federal Government Agencies / Caesar Chukwuma Nigerian Lawyer In USA Melting Hearts Of Ladies. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.