Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,153 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:35 AM

10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate (57933 Views)

12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance / 9 Bizzare Sentences That Are Perfectly Accurate / English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by benji93: 8:12pm On May 03, 2016
Rapmoney:
If you go through the second page of the thread, you will see where I corrected that. I mean the issue of 'asking after' and 'asking of'. I clearly stated it that it was a typo error! Thanks all the same.
In..............Ok i agree, i should have read through, i just could not afford the luxury of reading through everything, but all the same no one is a fountain of knowledge..................Out
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Roses1(f): 10:02pm On May 03, 2016
English warriors. U are all smarting here and showing urselves. na joke i is ooo lols.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by xenten: 10:12pm On May 03, 2016
Rapmoney:
You are the person who goofed because you read without understanding! Some of you just like rushing into conclusion without understanding!!! Didn't you check the context in which the word was used? You just revealed how quick you are to conclude without doing a thorough ground work...you were trying to gain unnecessary recognition so that peeps here would say you have done well! See how shallow ur reasoning now look?

i can see that you are an incorrigible ITK. Whatever the context you tried to paint, Smarting is an English word
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by pweetychyka(f): 10:54pm On May 03, 2016
eDoc:

i am hearing you (continuous)

i can hear you(present)

Yea u ryt!

Wat I meant was dat most ppl don't know how to differentiate dem n know which to use at a particular occurrence
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by eDoc: 10:55pm On May 03, 2016
pweetychyka:

Yea u ryt!

Wat I meant was dat most ppl don't know how to differentiate dem n know which to use at a particular occurrence

Noted

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by eDoc: 10:57pm On May 03, 2016
freecocoa:
I don't see how your post explains anything.

What has mathematics got to do with it?

Is literature in english not under general english? Separate both let me see.

And are you really bringing up form of controlled languages which are aimed to aid non english speakers?

Follow what i quoted,someone asked which is general english again,hence my explaination.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by freecocoa(f): 11:31pm On May 03, 2016
eDoc:

Follow what i quoted,someone asked which is general english again,hence my explaination.
You should understand an argument before jumping in next time.

I asked the question because he said s phrase used/considered correct in Lit in english is not correct in general english.

The question was a subtle way to tell him that, he was wrong about that.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Dollaz: 3:18am On May 04, 2016
Rapmoney i must commend u for dis educative post.
Am guilty of the mis use of singular auxiliary verb.

Have learnt from ur post thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Greenback: 7:35am On May 04, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:
wetin do Don Jazzy? Na your brother. Lol...
sebi mo sò? Nepa ati oluwole,don jazzy niyén,na...lolll
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Greenback: 7:35am On May 04, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:
wetin do Don Jazzy? Na your brother. Lol...
sebi mo sò? Nepa ati oluwole,don jazzy niyén,na...lolll
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Greenback: 7:39am On May 04, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:
I made mistake. It should be 'object'. Thanks for the correction.
confessions of da holders n bearers of da degree dè nepa bill..lollls
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Greenback: 7:44am On May 04, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:
You are right."I" is used for the subject while, "me" is is used as an object
yeee!!! Mo gbe! Lolllll...awòn phcn bill degree holders ti di quack lecturer..
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Greenback: 7:46am On May 04, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:
My own be say me I know kuku understand English language. I just know say we have Standard English and Nigerian English.
I still dey talk am nobody for this our obodo Nigeria fit talk say him be master for standard English, everybody just dey try.
Haha.... Even part of speech you know fit understand am finish. Under verb alone we have different kind of verbs.
Abeg, me na calculation I sabi.

easy 2 spot da nepa bill degree holders
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by chikis(m): 2:29am On May 05, 2016
DeeTus:
Moreso, when you need a cool chick, once you speak a lovely English, she's all yours. grin
Eno dey always work like that ooh...
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by chikis(m): 2:40am On May 05, 2016
Ebi like say this Rapmoney self na quack doctor. Im no get any medicine for my sickness. Nawaoh!
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Nobody: 7:40am On May 05, 2016
chikis:
Eno dey always work like that ooh...
Lol. I guess you're being rather too emotional than understanding my standpoint which would likely help you next time you want a girlfriend.

Assuming you're on the phone with a girl and you asked what she's doing, she says nothing.

And you say come over, let's chill out :-)Let's take some ice-cream or something. Call me when you're about to take a cab and don't worry, I will pay.

Women love lovely communication and that's what I call "lovely English".

I had a gf whom I hardly call but whenever I call her, she leaves whatever appointment she has with her friends to meet me. At a time, her friends demanded to see me. It's not by money but using the right words. I'm kind of lucky anyway.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Harfisco(m): 8:36pm On May 22, 2016
Nice one
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by mikesammy(m): 9:44pm On Jan 16, 2017
I disagree with number 5. U cnt just say, "my phone is more than yours. It doesn't sound definite so you need to add something to make it precise and more meaningful. So there comes the more beter
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by DiegoMaria(m): 12:40am On Oct 11, 2020
Rapmoney:
I know even educated people commit grammatical blunders sometimes but there are grammatical blunders that are just so outrageous and shameful at the same time, when they come right out of the mouths of supposed 'graduates' from tertiary institutions!

If you have been guilty of the following as regard spoken English, then you have clearly moved from being a 'Half-baked' graduate to a 'Quarter-baked' graduate!!! grin grin

1) 'You are smarting'...I heard a guy at a plaza who claimed to be a graduate saying this! Gush! Being smart is very different from being fast or slick. By the way, there's no verb such as 'smarting' in English language which means the same thing as what this young man was trying to say! cool

2) 'You are showing yourself'...just like the one above, how can someone be 'showing' himself/herself? So human being don turn movie? Na wa o!

3) 'Oya, come and go'...two opposite verbs. You are telling the person to come and at the same time, to go! grin Again, what's the meaning of 'Oya'?

4) 'My body is scratching me'...your body can only itch you and not scratch. You scratch when you use your fingers to stroke a surface roughly! Lol! grin

5) 'My phone is 'more' better than yours...this sentence can surely make you appear a 'quarter-bakie' wink You can't use two comparative adjectives in a sentence! We have good, better, best. When you compare two things, the middle one which is 'better' should be used so there's no need for 'more' which is also a comparative adjective but goes with 'than'. As in 'more than' cool

6) 'Did she went to the market'?...as absurd as this sentence is, I have seen many 'graduates' saying it! Two verbs with past tense form in the same sentence?

7) 'Ola, something is smelling. Can you hear it...ehen!!! 'HEAR'? English!!!

8. 'People has' or 'she have'...'has' is a singular auxiliary verb that goes with a singular subject while 'have' is a plural auxiliary verb that goes with a plural subject.

9) 'They takes people for granted'...this one is common on NL. A plural subject does not go with a singular verb and vice versa. 'Take' is plural and 'takes' is singular which goes with a singular subject as well. Take note of 'They' being a plural subject.

10) 'I am looking for Funmilayo'...you can't be looking for someone. Instead, say 'I am asking of Funmilayo'. You can only look for what is lost! It happens regularly when people go to check on others. We can only start looking for Funmilayo if she is declared missing! grin

I hope these help! We are all learning. It is only a foolish man that takes offence when he is corrected!

Good day!!! cool

You can add yours!

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

NDA Kaduna Expels Cadets For Indiscipline / Beautiful Pictures Of Matriculants From Covenant University / What Is Next For Me After Withdrawal From The University?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.