Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,116 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate (58012 Views)

12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance / 9 Bizzare Sentences That Are Perfectly Accurate / English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by seanwilliam(m): 9:30pm On May 02, 2016
Rapmoney:
True cool
u r welcom, btw r u a student?
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 9:39pm On May 02, 2016
kudoxs:
Graduates don't go to university or polytechnic to learn how to speak good english. This is pure african mentality, many indians guru out there went to the best Universities and can't even speak good English but they work in reputable organizations all over the world. You want to know why? It's because spoken language doesn't matter but how well you can contribute to an organization or the world at large.
I disagree with you. Many Nigerian undergraduates are not serious with their studies; majority are mainly concerned with mundane things; some don't have passion or interest as regard academic activities. See, you are not even seeing the real problem here! The Indians you talked about are still aware of the fact that university is for research and polytechnic for practicals. How many Nigerian undergraduates are aware of that? It is not all about English. A quarter-baked graduate would perform poorly in both language and practicals as long as he/she doesn't have interest to learn. Okay, let's put English aside. How many Engineers and scientists do Nigerian higher institutions produce yearly? You can't estimate because they are too many, yet, why can't we produce wristwatches?

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 9:43pm On May 02, 2016
Dan42:
English hard o... But, it's not by force to speak English. If e too hard you speak pidgin.
grin
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by hardeyincah(m): 9:45pm On May 02, 2016
Dis is also crazy and common within US. " Am hearing u"

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Fadekebisola(f): 9:47pm On May 02, 2016
Rapmoney:
Ok. Bro, take a closer look at the few ones I mentioned and see if they are not out of place. Though, they are hilarious to an extent cheesy
Dan42:
English hard o... But, it's not by force to speak English. If e too hard you speak pidgin.
olafum1:
Op. What is the problem with 7 *something is smelling*?
seanwilliam:
1,2,4,7 and 10 r correct but NOT in general english. btw it's laughable wen graduates can't express themselve englishically(lols). wat cause dis r some parried factors-family background, environment, peer group- whch later bounce back on the their spoken english
Rapmoney:
True cool
Rapmoney:
I know even educated people commit grammatical blunders sometimes but there are grammatical blunders that are just so outrageous and shameful at the same time, when they come right out of the mouths of supposed 'graduates' from tertiary institutions!

If you have been guilty of the following as regard spoken English, then you have clearly moved from being a 'Half-baked' graduate to a 'Quarter-baked' graduate!!! grin grin

1) 'You are smarting'...I heard a guy at a plaza who claimed to be a graduate saying this! Gush! Being smart is very different from being fast or slick. By the way, there's no verb such as 'smarting' in English language which means the same thing as what this young man was trying to say! cool

2) 'You are showing yourself'...just like the one above, how can someone be 'showing' himself/herself? So human being don turn movie? Na wa o!

3) 'Oya, come and go'...two opposite verbs. You are telling the person to come and at the same time, to go! grin Again, what's the meaning of 'Oya'?

4) 'My body is scratching me'...your body can only itch you and not scratch. You scratch when you use your fingers to stroke a surface roughly! Lol! grin

5) 'My phone is 'more' better than yours...this sentence can surely make you appear a 'quarter-bakie' wink You can't use two comparative adjectives in a sentence! We have good, better, best. When you compare two things, the middle one which is 'better' should be used so there's no need for 'more' which is also a comparative adjective but goes with 'than'. As in 'more than' cool

6) 'Did she went to the market'?...as absurd as this sentence is, I have seen many 'graduates' saying it! Two verbs with past tense form in the same sentence?

7) 'Ola, something is smelling. Can you hear it...ehen!!! 'HEAR'? English!!!

8. 'People has' or 'she have'...'has' is a singular auxiliary verb that goes with a singular subject while 'have' is a plural auxiliary verb that goes with a plural subject.

9) 'They takes people for granted'...this one is common on NL. A plural subject does not go with a singular verb and vice versa. 'Take' is plural and 'takes' is singular which goes with a singular subject as well. Take note of 'They' being a plural subject.

10) 'I am looking for Funmilayo'...you can't be looking for someone. Instead, say 'I am asking of Funmilayo'. You can only look for what is lost! It happens regularly when people go to check on others. We can only start looking for Funmilayo if she is declared missing! grin

I hope these help! We are all learning. It is only a foolish man that takes offence when he is corrected!

Good day!!! cool

You can add yours!
seanwilliam:
Rapmoney:
I know even educated people commit grammatical blunders sometimes but there are grammatical blunders that are just so outrageous and shameful at the same time, when they come right out of the mouths of supposed 'graduates' from tertiary institutions!

If you have been guilty of the following as regard spoken English, then you have clearly moved from being a 'Half-baked' graduate to a 'Quarter-baked' graduate!!! grin grin

1) 'You are smarting'...I heard a guy at a plaza who claimed to be a graduate saying this! Gush! Being smart is very different from being fast or slick. By the way, there's no verb such as 'smarting' in English language which means the same thing as what this young man was trying to say! cool

2) 'You are showing yourself'...just like the one above, how can someone be 'showing' himself/herself? So human being don turn movie? Na wa o!

3) 'Oya, come and go'...two opposite verbs. You are telling the person to come and at the same time, to go! grin Again, what's the meaning of 'Oya'?

4) 'My body is scratching me'...your body can only itch you and not scratch. You scratch when you use your fingers to stroke a surface roughly! Lol! grin

5) 'My phone is 'more' better than yours...this sentence can surely make you appear a 'quarter-bakie' wink You can't use two comparative adjectives in a sentence! We have good, better, best. When you compare two things, the middle one which is 'better' should be used so there's no need for 'more' which is also a comparative adjective but goes with 'than'. As in 'more than' cool

6) 'Did she went to the market'?...as absurd as this sentence is, I have seen many 'graduates' saying it! Two verbs with past tense form in the same sentence?

8. 'People has' or 'she have'...'has' is a singular auxiliary verb that goes with a singular subject while 'have' is a plural auxiliary verb that goes with a plural subject.

9) 'They takes people for granted'...this one is common on NL. A plural subject does not go with a singular verb and vice versa. 'Take' is plural and 'takes' is singular which goes with a singular subject as well. Take note of 'They' being a plural subject.

10) 'I am looking for Funmilayo'...you can't be looking for someone. Instead, say 'I am asking of Funmilayo'. You can only look for what is lost! It happens regularly when people go to check on others. We can only start looking for Funmilayo if she is declared missing! grin

I hope these help! We are all learning. It is only a foolish man that takes offence when he is corrected!

Good day!!! cool

You can add yours!
sorry for quoting all of you....i need to correct this common mistake as well spoken in the university.....'when someone wants money from you instead of saying.....'can you lend me some money' he/she says ....'can you borrow me some money'...

2 Likes

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by prahcetomi(m): 9:48pm On May 02, 2016
Smarting is an English word. E.g rapmoney's hand is still smarting from the flogging lalasticlala gave him.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 9:48pm On May 02, 2016
hardeyincah:
Dis is also crazy and common within US. " Am hearing u"
Yeah, though not as bad.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by moyakz(m): 9:49pm On May 02, 2016
op,how about 'i cannot run come and go and kill myself!' is it correct?
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by chibrasil(m): 9:50pm On May 02, 2016
I came to look for you but u didn't they!
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by cold(m): 9:50pm On May 02, 2016
Rapmoney:

!
You do realise smarting is a word right? It all depends in the context it is being used.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 9:51pm On May 02, 2016
prahcetomi:
Smarting is an English word. E.g rapmoney's hand is still smarting from the flogging lalasticlala gave him.
I didn't say 'smarting' is not an English word or verb. What I am saying is the context in which it is commonly used. It is mostly used to mean a situation where someone decides to act fast or in an intimidating way.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by donephi(m): 9:52pm On May 02, 2016
kudoxs:
Graduates don't go to university or polytechnic to learn how to speak good english. This is pure african mentality, many indians guru out there went to the best Universities and can't even speak good English but they work in reputable organizations all over the world. You want to know why? It's because spoken language doesn't matter [s][/s]but how well you can contribute to an organization or the world at large.
did you just say that @ the bolded?

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by akanniade10(m): 9:52pm On May 02, 2016
do graduates really commit these blunders? A secondary school student shouldn't, how much more?

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by cold(m): 9:52pm On May 02, 2016
Rapmoney:

!
You do realise smarting is a word right? It all depends in the context it is being used.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by darlenese(f): 9:52pm On May 02, 2016
No 2 : Oya come and go

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Gboliwe: 9:57pm On May 02, 2016
Me and her were sexing I have read nairalanders use this SEXING rubbish so many times

2 Likes

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by pedrilo: 9:58pm On May 02, 2016
Rapmoney:
Yeah, though not as bad.
it's bad and very common. The right phrase; "I can hear you"

2 Likes

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by tasalanoni(m): 9:58pm On May 02, 2016
kudoxs:
Graduates don't go to university or polytechnic to learn how to speak good english. This is pure african mentality, many indians guru out there went to the best Universities and can't even speak good English but they work in reputable organizations all over the world. You want to know why? It's because spoken language doesn't matter but how well you can contribute to an organization or the world at large.
who says spoken English doesn't matter? A good command of spoken and written English is extremely important knowing quite well that English is the official language of Nigeria. by this I don't mean that we should aim to speak at native speaker fluency but essentially to make our points and pass our messages across using appropriate expressions. thank u.

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by martinsaba: 9:58pm On May 02, 2016
Many yoruba people are guilty of 8 and 9

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Qabt(m): 9:59pm On May 02, 2016
Common mistake made by we nigeri
ans
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by GloriaNinja(f): 9:59pm On May 02, 2016
You should be a lecturer then. or an English teacher.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Reptyle(m): 9:59pm On May 02, 2016
"Smarting" is a correct English word.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Midastorch(m): 10:02pm On May 02, 2016
DesChyko:
Lol.. I take it you don't read much novels. Smarting is also a verb. It's a reaction of a person or the skin to a sharp pain like a whip.
Don't mind the op he never heard of gerundial Verbs
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by pedrilo: 10:03pm On May 02, 2016
donephi:
did you just say that @ the bolded?
lolz interesting thread to expose many quarter baked.

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by butanep(m): 10:04pm On May 02, 2016
Just came to observe
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by franksam2009: 10:05pm On May 02, 2016
Na wa! for naija English

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by prahcetomi(m): 10:07pm On May 02, 2016
Rapmoney:
I didn't say 'smarting' is not an English word or verb. What I am saying is the context in which it is commonly used. It is mostly used to mean a situation where someone decides to act fast or in an intimidating way.
well said,bt I hope lala really flogs you.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Menzy86(m): 10:09pm On May 02, 2016
Actually OP you are 'showing yourself' has a pidgin origin so it shouldn't be on your list. To add, what in the world does "next tomorrow" mean? Almost everyone says this plus how many of us know there is NOTHING like FACE CAP? Its actually baseball cap and d former ought to be 'the day after tomorrow'

3 Likes

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by kenoz(m): 10:09pm On May 02, 2016
Lol
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by tr3y(m): 10:09pm On May 02, 2016
Rapmoney:

Oga OP what of "I have". I believe that one is correct or it should be I has?
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Logicbwoy: 10:10pm On May 02, 2016
Rapmoney:

Good day!!! cool

You can add yours!

Number 1), 2) and 10) are all false.

1) Smarting is a verb (albeit not in the right context for what you said)

2) "Showing yourself" is not wrong, especially if "showing your hand" is a commonly used phrase.

10) "I am looking for Funmilayo" is also correct. One looks for things he/she has not seen. Also, "asking for" is not always a suitable or appropriate phrase when actually trying to get someone.

cc Seun, Lalasticlala. How do these threads get to the front page?

4 Likes

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 10:10pm On May 02, 2016
seanwilliam:
I am not schooling but one way or the other, we learn everyday so I can say I'm a student, schooling in the school of life which comes with endless learning! cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

"Three Friends & Their Careers": A Graduate Wrote This As A Book For Children / What Is Next For Me After Withdrawal From The University? / Dead Students Write Exams in Oko Poly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.