Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,065 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate (57985 Views)

12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance / 9 Bizzare Sentences That Are Perfectly Accurate / English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by seanwilliam(m): 11:00am On May 03, 2016
Ladrang:

I don't mean to sound pedantic, but being a student of Literature as you claimed, you need to do better with your writing/typing. Too many abbreviations, no capitalisation... I no it's laziness, but please be conscious of these next time.
tank u ,na the type of fone i dey use jare
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by seanwilliam(m): 11:01am On May 03, 2016
tempem:
If she really want to learn, the basics was shown, and that should have helped.
d funniest part is that she's a graduate. thenk u jare
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by seanwilliam(m): 11:02am On May 03, 2016
freecocoa:
Which one is general English again? grin
read all through my posts, u'll decode my point
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Logicbwoy: 11:24am On May 03, 2016
freecocoa:
We are not fighting na Oga, we are all still learning.

1. I don't quite follow when you say step outside yourself and present your body(if showing yourself should be used literally), your body is a part of yourself, innit?

2. True.

3. My bad.

Remember I said "looking for someone"isn't wrong but that it is better to use "search for" if you aren't looking at a particular place.

checkout this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3083179/thread-nigerian-secular-philosophy
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Tijay90(m): 12:12pm On May 03, 2016
Rapmoney:
You are the wrong person here! Yes, you can see and hear people talk!

Except you want to prove to me that you are blind!
...ok Mr.Right...but you don't wanna be mud-slinging with me...Dumb-fvck.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Peacetemi: 12:22pm On May 03, 2016
freecocoa:
I can only imagine with you speaking a lovely English to them, musta been one hell of a journey. grin
keep teasing him with his 'A LOVELY ENGLISH' cool
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by freecocoa(f): 12:27pm On May 03, 2016
Peacetemi:
keep teasing him with his 'A LOVELY ENGLISH' cool
And you just had to be the grinch who stole Christmas, eh.grin
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Nobody: 12:32pm On May 03, 2016
Well no b today people don dy disobey law of concord . .e yaff tay...@Op u Don baff? who u EPP?
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Peacetemi: 12:44pm On May 03, 2016
freecocoa:
And you just had to be the grinch who stole Christmas, eh.grin
grinch ke I was just strolling through and I came across A LOVELY ENGLISH grin
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by henrylowe(m): 12:52pm On May 03, 2016
Even though I not too hear English, I don't make these mistakes
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 1:38pm On May 03, 2016
Tijay90:
...ok Mr.Right...but you don't wanna be mud-slinging with me...Dumb-fvck.
Go play with sand! We are not mates!!!

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by freecocoa(f): 1:39pm On May 03, 2016
Peacetemi:
grinch ke I was just strolling through and I came across A LOVELY ENGLISH grin
You have no chill. grin
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by gr8jobsng: 1:42pm On May 03, 2016
these are common mistakes made even in job interviews
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by benji93: 2:42pm On May 03, 2016
Rapmoney:
I know even educated people commit grammatical blunders sometimes but there are grammatical blunders that are just so outrageous and shameful at the same time, when they come right out of the mouths of supposed 'graduates' from tertiary institutions!

If you have been guilty of the following as regard spoken English, then you have clearly moved from being a 'Half-baked' graduate to a 'Quarter-baked' graduate!!! grin grin

1) 'You are smarting'...I heard a guy at a plaza who claimed to be a graduate saying this! Gush! Being smart is very different from being fast or slick. By the way, there's no verb such as 'smarting' in English language which means the same thing as what this young man was trying to say! cool

2) 'You are showing yourself'...just like the one above, how can someone be 'showing' himself/herself? So human being don turn movie? Na wa o!

3) 'Oya, come and go'...two opposite verbs. You are telling the person to come and at the same time, to go! grin Again, what's the meaning of 'Oya'?

4) 'My body is scratching me'...your body can only itch you and not scratch. You scratch when you use your fingers to stroke a surface roughly! Lol! grin

5) 'My phone is 'more' better than yours...this sentence can surely make you appear a 'quarter-bakie' wink You can't use two comparative adjectives in a sentence! We have good, better, best. When you compare two things, the middle one which is 'better' should be used so there's no need for 'more' which is also a comparative adjective but goes with 'than'. As in 'more than' cool

6) 'Did she went to the market'?...as absurd as this sentence is, I have seen many 'graduates' saying it! Two verbs with past tense form in the same sentence?

7) 'Ola, something is smelling. Can you hear it...ehen!!! 'HEAR'? English!!!

8. 'People has' or 'she have'...'has' is a singular auxiliary verb that goes with a singular subject while 'have' is a plural auxiliary verb that goes with a plural subject.

9) 'They takes people for granted'...this one is common on NL. A plural subject does not go with a singular verb and vice versa. 'Take' is plural and 'takes' is singular which goes with a singular subject as well. Take note of 'They' being a plural subject.

10) 'I am looking for Funmilayo'...you can't be looking for someone. Instead, say 'I am asking of Funmilayo'. You can only look for what is lost! It happens regularly when people go to check on others. We can only start looking for Funmilayo if she is declared missing! grin

I hope these help! We are all learning. It is only a foolish man that takes offence when he is corrected!

Good day!!! cool

You can add yours!
like someone earlier commented, you pointed out some problems, though that was educative, you should have suggested solutions and alternatives, for every case, that would have brought your edification to a logical conclusion. Now, i find one of your corrections weird: 'I am asking of Funmilayo', in the use of the preposition 'of' in this case, it is usually in this form'' asking something of somebody', ''asking after funmilayo'' should be the most appropriate grammatical correction for the blunder, other variations include asking about and asking for, but asking after should be the most appropriate, since asking for, could mean you need that person to do a job for you, asking about, could mean that the subject does not know the object, asking after indicates the subject knows the object. . I stand to be corrected. No one is a repository of knowledge.

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Oshotse21(m): 4:14pm On May 03, 2016
Nawa o
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 4:50pm On May 03, 2016
benji93:

like someone earlier commented, you pointed out some problems, though that was educative, you should have suggested solutions and alternatives, for every case, that would have brought your edification to a logical conclusion. Now, i find one of your corrections weird: 'I am asking of Funmilayo', in the use of the preposition 'of' in this case, it is usually in this form'' asking something of somebody', ''asking after funmilayo'' should be the most appropriate grammatical correction for the blunder, other variations include asking about and asking for, but asking after should be the most appropriate, since asking for, could mean you need that person to do a job for you, asking about, could mean that the subject does not know the object, asking after indicates the subject knows the object. . I stand to be corrected. No one is a repository of knowledge.
If you go through the second page of the thread, you will see where I corrected that. I mean the issue of 'asking after' and 'asking of'. I clearly stated it that it was a typo error! Thanks all the same.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by eDoc: 4:52pm On May 03, 2016
Rapmoney:
I know even educated people commit grammatical blunders sometimes but there are grammatical blunders that are just so outrageous and shameful at the same time, when they come right out of the mouths of supposed 'graduates' from tertiary institutions!

If you have been guilty of the following as regard spoken English, then you have clearly moved from being a 'Half-baked' graduate to a 'Quarter-baked' graduate!!! grin grin

1) 'You are smarting'...I heard a guy at a plaza who claimed to be a graduate saying this! Gush! Being smart is very different from being fast or slick. By the way, there's no verb such as 'smarting' in English language which means the same thing as what this young man was trying to say! cool

2) 'You are showing yourself'...just like the one above, how can someone be 'showing' himself/herself? So human being don turn movie? Na wa o!

3) 'Oya, come and go'...two opposite verbs. You are telling the person to come and at the same time, to go! grin Again, what's the meaning of 'Oya'?

4) 'My body is scratching me'...your body can only itch you and not scratch. You scratch when you use your fingers to stroke a surface roughly! Lol! grin

5) 'My phone is 'more' better than yours...this sentence can surely make you appear a 'quarter-bakie' wink You can't use two comparative adjectives in a sentence! We have good, better, best. When you compare two things, the middle one which is 'better' should be used so there's no need for 'more' which is also a comparative adjective but goes with 'than'. As in 'more than' cool

6) 'Did she went to the market'?...as absurd as this sentence is, I have seen many 'graduates' saying it! Two verbs with past tense form in the same sentence?

8. 'People has' or 'she have'...'has' is a singular auxiliary verb that goes with a singular subject while 'have' is a plural auxiliary verb that goes with a plural subject.

9) 'They takes people for granted'...this one is common on NL. A plural subject does not go with a singular verb and vice versa. 'Take' is plural and 'takes' is singular which goes with a singular subject as well. Take note of 'They' being a plural subject.

10) 'I am looking for Funmilayo'...you can't be looking for someone. Instead, say 'I am asking of Funmilayo'. You can only look for what is lost! It happens regularly when people go to check on others. We can only start looking for Funmilayo if she is declared missing! grin

I hope these help! We are all learning. It is only a foolish man that takes offence when he is corrected!

Good day!!! cool

You can add yours!

Oya has disqualified the above as an english word in a sentences.

4) 'My body is scratching me'...your body can only itch you and not scratch. You scratch when you use your fingers to stroke a surface roughly! Lol!

The message is clear 'scratching'.
The Great Micheal Jordan was once asked why he made a second come back to the NBA and he answered 'to itch a scratch',in this context scratching me as you quantified is done by the fingers but you are getting it wrong,when the message 'My body is scratching me' isn't right,english sentences might sound wrong most of the time but for the fact they are not regularly used the ears disqualifies such as wrong.

When you are deep into science,you would hear things like the eyes can hear,you hear me right,the eyes hear as you are hearing me communicating with unspoken words.

10) 'I am looking for Funmilayo'...you can't be looking for someone. Instead, say 'I am asking of Funmilayo'. You can only look for what is lost! It happens regularly when people go to check on others. We can only start looking for Funmilayo if she is declared missing!

There is this great movie called 'Finding forester' by sean cornery,if i remember right.
He never was lost to be found,his where about was not known,hence the titling 'finding'.
Allow me to reverse your remedy 'I am asking of Funmilayo',using lost but found theory to back this statement wouldn't fly in case of.
You use your eyes to see,scan,sight,eye,approve,disapprove and of course look,so looking for funmilayo,would definately be in order,We are in an era of word play,even if the above isn't one.

Have you heard of back for the first time.

I hear you,how can you be coming back for the first time and not the second,third,fourth or more time.

If we are to go by all existing cliches,we have fully baked and half-baked and not quarter baked graduate.

You say make i add my own,na hin b this.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by eDoc: 4:55pm On May 03, 2016
kudoxs:
Graduates don't go to university or polytechnic to learn how to speak good english. This is pure african mentality, many indians guru out there went to the best Universities and can't even speak good English but they work in reputable organizations all over the world. You want to know why? It's because spoken language doesn't matter but how well you can contribute to an organization or the world at large.

Your head dey there well well,as far as the message is gotten,then the purpose/aim has been achieved.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Tijay90(m): 5:25pm On May 03, 2016
Rapmoney:
Go play with sand! We are not mates!!!
...Lol...why so hurt...arrogant piece of shii.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by eDoc: 5:29pm On May 03, 2016
freecocoa:
Which one is general English again? grin

Let me use general math(mathematics),which one is general maths,do you know there is/are
business maths
scientific maths
logic/logic maths
discrete math
engineering maths
abstract maths
word maths
physics maths

for english
business english
halal english
oral english
technical english

All from the top of my head.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by eDoc: 5:33pm On May 03, 2016
TheSpellChecker:

Smarting is absolutely correct.

The word 'smart' does not only refer to having mental agility or something.

It also refers to

> a sharp, stinging pain.
> feeling upset and annoyed.

It's my guess that the guy you mistook for a quarter-baked graduate was actually referring to any of these other situations.

I like this,kindly tell the op to return the illegally deducted three quarters for the smarting fellow.

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by eDoc: 5:35pm On May 03, 2016
pweetychyka:
OP, U forgot to add dis popular one ooooo!
Dis applies to almost everyone either wen receiving or making a call 'I am hearing U' instead of 'I can hear u'

OP, U forgot to add dis popular one ooooo!
Dis applies to almost everyone either wen receiving or making a call 'I am hearing U' instead of 'I can hear u'

i am hearing you (continuous)

i can hear you(present)
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by eDoc: 5:39pm On May 03, 2016
Gesd:
Am chewing chewing gum

Bravo!!!!!!!!!!

Perphaps in the future there would be licking gum,swallow gum,edible eating gum,liquid gum.
Funny enough it sound o.k

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by eDoc: 5:43pm On May 03, 2016
Bluffly:
Africans truly have a problem. Education now equals English Language. Accepted it is our official language but remember it isn't out first language. We have many sound doctors, accountants, Engineers etc who aren't fluent in English but are gurus in their field likewise we have the English fluent ones that are empty.

Op, I'm quite sure you are aware of "Academic English" which sometimes defile the basic English language rules.

We need our education system to deliver problem solving feats and not fluency in English language.

i love your first line,second sentence.

Education is not equals English Language ................Bluffly(paraphrase)
We need our education system to deliver problem solving feats and not fluency in English language...............Bluffly(verbatim)

in less than 5 lines you kick ass.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by eDoc: 5:47pm On May 03, 2016
Blessograo:
1. Either you are smart or, in a rush or too fasy
2. Making a show of yourself or showing off
3. Now start out or leave or go
4. My body is itchy or i feel itchy
5. My phone is better than yours
6. Did she go to the market or has she left for market or has she gone to the market?
7. Ola something is smelling, can you percieve it?
8. Has she or have they?
9. They take people for granted
10. I can't find Fumilayo.
I hope i'm right grin grin grin grin grin

Busted.
You can only look for what is lost.Quoting you on number 10.
I can't find fumilayo,makes her lost.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by eDoc: 5:48pm On May 03, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:
My own be say me I know kuku understand English language. I just know say we have Standard English and Nigerian English.
I still dey talk am nobody for this our obodo Nigeria fit talk say him be master for standard English, everybody just dey try.
Haha.... Even part of speech you know fit understand am finish. Under verb alone we have different kind of verbs.
Abeg, me na calculation I sabi.

It don jazzy again.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by eDoc: 5:49pm On May 03, 2016
Krossbow123:
Guilty of no 10 grin

Unguilt yourself.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by eDoc: 5:51pm On May 03, 2016
dapipson:
I doubt N0 10

I help you confirm the doubt.

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by eDoc: 5:55pm On May 03, 2016
Rexyl:
whose fault? Students, Teachers or England? Blame British who taught English for some years and run away. They don't even compensate you for struggling to speak what they speak

Anyway 'NEPA Has taken light'... means what?

They have taken the light,simply.

Even if it is a second ago that the light was taken,a second ago belongs to the past,hence the use of the word 'has'.
Perphap you want to hear 'nepa have taken light' or 'nepa have taken the light' or 'nepa has taken the light',take you pick.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by freecocoa(f): 6:28pm On May 03, 2016
eDoc:

Let me use general math(mathematics),which one is general maths,do you know there is/are
business maths
scientific maths
logic/logic maths
discrete math
engineering maths
abstract maths
word maths
physics maths

for english
business english
halal english
oral english
technical english

All from the top of my head.
I don't see how your post explains anything.

What has mathematics got to do with it?

Is literature in english not under general english? Separate both let me see.

And are you really bringing up form of controlled languages which are aimed to aid non english speakers?
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 7:33pm On May 03, 2016
eDoc:

It don jazzy again.
wetin do Don Jazzy? Na your brother. Lol...
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Nobody: 7:59pm On May 03, 2016
Rapmoney:

Good day!!! cool

You can add yours!
when someone approaches you, then the question;

whom are you looking for? Wrong.
Whom are you asking for? Correct. Right?

What if the person is trying to figure out the person by himself without involving anybody and I become suspicious of his move, how would I ask? Is it

whom are you looking for?

Or

Whom are you asking for?

My question is in respect to number 10.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Beautiful Pictures Of Matriculants From Covenant University / "Three Friends & Their Careers": A Graduate Wrote This As A Book For Children / What Is Next For Me After Withdrawal From The University?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.