Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price (55706 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: FG Not Contemplating Hike In Petrol Pump Price - SGF Says / Nigerians... Reject The Cabal! / Why Nigerians Reject 9.61 Trillion Loan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by luluosas(m): 4:48pm On May 12, 2016
When price of petroleum products were low, the telecoms operators were billing us exorbitantly. Imagine I used to buy Glo 1GB at N3,000 before MTN SME came into play. Today, the cost of petroleum products are exorbitant and the telecoms operators are now offering high volume of data with miserable amount. The same N3,000 for Glo's 1GB data plan in 2013 now offers 6GB in 2016. Who is fooling who?
All my hope is that competition in the oil industry would definitely drive down price in the nearest future.
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by Oz4realsss: 4:51pm On May 12, 2016
Akshow:
I bought my SIM card with number for 30,000 NAIRA. I made calls 70/per minute, whether it was 25 seconds or 60 seconds. Then MTN held sway.

Glo came. Econet came. Other Telecom companies came. All of a sudden, the price of SIM cards crashed to 3000 and 1000 NAIRA and then nothing! The telecom companies started begging us to pick up their SIM cards for free.

And now, I don't even know what MTN charges for a minute's call again. It's something I take for granted. But in 2004, I always checked my account balance to see how many minute's call my airtime could sustain. I do not have that worry today.

Competition in the sector has driven down the cost of everything. If my MTN line misbehaves, I buy airtime on my Glo network and make calls from there. There were times when MTN gave me bonuses whenever I had dropped their SIM for other networks just to woo me back.

Occasionally, MTN will role incentives, promos and packages to reward my loyalty. Other telecom companies do the same. The endpoint is always to keep their customers happy and hooked to their brands and services.

All that happened because President Obasanjo deregulated the sector. It appeared a crazy idea when he did it, in fact, the cost we borne was humungous. But all that has eased out to usher in an era of choice that comes with comparative ease today.

If you support the government's deregulation of the petroleum sector, though initially things will be tough, but ultimately, it will bring happiness just as we experienced in the telecom sector.

Have you ever imagined a situation where independent marketers will fall over their necks just to have you buy fuel in their stations? And then, you, the buyer, will make your yanga whether to buy in station A or B, if their price, quality and quantity is right.

That time will come, and sooner than we expect. So let's endure the pain of deregulation to enjoy the gain that is sure to come.

I am not against deregulation but the telephone example you gave cannot substitute for an essential commodity like petrol - cost of goods and services revolves round it.

Also, your story deceitfully did not tell us how we shall overcome the harsh realities that will add to an already difficult situation before the price will get better. You also did not tell us how long we shall endure the sufferings before the price will drop. These questions are begging you for answers.

I guess you were able to endure with the telephone experience because it never affected the cost of goods and services. So many Nigerians were also able to because they could do without it. Now, that we are faced with a commodity whose cost has a spiral effect on every other cost, it is very illogical to compare it with the telephone that has no spiral cost effect.
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by Poweredbrew: 4:52pm On May 12, 2016
MrAdetunjiBayo:
Very good one from daily trust the fulani paper. We yoruba muslims in abeokuta will deal decisively with any infidel caught protesting against our Buhari in yorubaland. Say Buhari!

Ibo man, why why why?
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by edorhe14(m): 4:53pm On May 12, 2016
Nigeria, We hail Thee
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by byteem: 4:53pm On May 12, 2016
luluosas:
When price of petroleum products were low, the telecoms operators were billing us exorbitantly. Imagine I used to buy Glo 1GB at N3,000 before MTN SME came into play. Today, the cost of petroleum products are exorbitant and the telecoms operators are now offering high volume of data with miserable amount. The same N3,000 for Glo's 1GB data plan in 2013 now offers 6GB in 2016. Who is fooling who?
All my hope is that competition in the oil industry would definitely drive down price in the nearest future.

DUNSI.. HOW CAN U COMPARE TELECOMS AND GSM ... WHY NOT USE DIESEL INSTEAD.. WHY HAS DIESEL NOT CRASHED .. DNT FORGET SUBSIDY IS ONLY PAID ON PETROL NOT DIESEL ... SO WHY IS DIESEL STILL HIGH... SIMPLY PUT .. DNT EXPECT WHAT HAPPED WITH GSM TO HAPPEN WITH PMS .. ITS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PLAYING FIELD WHERE DIFF RULES APPLY.. MARKET FORCES VARY..

TELCOS DO NOT HAVE TO SOURCE FOR FOREX .. OR COPE WITH POOR INFRASTRUCTURE FOR IMPORT OR COPE WITH CABALS WHO SEEK TO RUN A MONOPOLY ...TOTALLY DIFF ... OR MAD POLITICIANS WHO CONTROL OIL WELLS AND SEEK TO MAXIMIZE PROFIT
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by saintdennis(m): 4:54pm On May 12, 2016
phlemzy:
They will equally increase the prices of their products/services.

And thus the economy suffers. That's why min wage can't be increased

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by caprini1: 4:59pm On May 12, 2016
Only byteem made sense here,every other moniker just made comments out of charged emotions.
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by luluosas(m): 5:00pm On May 12, 2016
byteem:

DUNSI.. HOW CAN U COMPARE TELECOMS AND GSM ... WHY NOT USE DIESEL INSTEAD.. WHY HAS DIESEL NOT CRASHED .. DNT FORGET SUBSIDY IS ONLY PAID ON PETROL NOT DIESEL ... SO WHY IS DIESEL STILL HIGH... SIMPLY PUT .. DNT EXPECT WHAT HAPPED WITH GSM TO HAPPEN WITH PMS .. ITS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PLAYING FIELD WHERE DIFF RULES APPLY.. MARKET FORCES VARY..

TELCOS DO NOT HAVE TO SOURCE FOR FOREX .. OR COPE WITH POOR INFRASTRUCTURE FOR IMPORT OR COPE WITH CABALS WHO SEEK TO RUN A MONOPOLY ...TOTALLY DIFF ... OR MAD POLITICIANS WHO CONTROL OIL WELLS AND SEEK TO MAXIMIZE PROFIT

Do you at all understand my post? I never compare GSM and PMS any way. I said when petroleum products price were low, we were paying very high for telecoms services, but now petroleum products prices are high and we are now paying less for telecoms services instead paying higher.
So, all I am saying is that with competition opened to every one to play, prices would definitely forced itself down. Thank you.
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by ceaser: 5:01pm On May 12, 2016
ChukwuIbrahim:
but dis is crazy!
can u believe dat at 145 a litre, all of a sudden all filing station in my area now has fuel!

That is the absurdity I worry about in Nigeria and Nigerians. You try to ease pains, a few disgruntled freed Mu'fuckers will find a way to make prohibitive profits at the expense of the Nigerian people and regulatory bodies, either true bribes or ineptitude look the other way.

Don't be surprised if all the fuel stations in a particular community form an association where they agree "not to compete", that is, sell fuel at "the same price" irrespective of where it is sourced from and also in unison reach an agreement to tamper with their gauges in order to maximize profit while sanctioning whoever breaks the agreement with all forms of deterrents possible - financial, physical abuse and even spiritual (jazz) attacks.

There is this gas station owned by a woman (Bo*a*) that chose to stand out as reasonable and honest among the independent marketers by selling her commodities at 86.50 NGN and even goes as far as routine checks of her gauges to ensure the gas attendants have not tampered with it. She faces daily harassment from other marketers for daring to be different. Even the police she reported a case of death threat to could not guarantee her safety

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by amaechi1: 5:01pm On May 12, 2016
TANTUMERGO007:
cry GOD why did you send a plague(boooohari) to come destroy us ?

If buhari is plaque, I wonder what GEJ and his cronies who perpetuated corruption would be?
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by Profwriter(m): 5:02pm On May 12, 2016
Dont mind him, he is saying rubbish, trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Why has the price of disel not fallen ever since it was dergulated years ago. I dont know why people chose to be fools
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by amaechi1: 5:02pm On May 12, 2016
TANTUMERGO007:

If Buhari is a plaque, what will GEJ annd cronies who looted this country dry. Saint I guess??
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by ogmask: 5:06pm On May 12, 2016
modath:

They always pretend like we all have amnesia!

I'm not enjoying this but i'd rather have better healthcare, good roads, higher wages than for one rich big belle govt crony to dey use us make cheap income....

Na to dey use smaller more fuel efficient cars and nix unnecessary waka....

Nigerians are mostly ignorant, we extract to sell, we buy at international rate like all other countries!!

The bolded is my take home.
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by saintdennis(m): 5:07pm On May 12, 2016
byteem:

When I saw kachickwu's statement I was dumbfounded. He needs to be sacked.

Do gas stations advertise? Do they do promos? Do they hire marketers? Why would any station owner reduce the price he sells petrol?
Until REFINERIES start working In naija the cost of downstream sector oil biz CANNOT DROP thus price of pms will instead rise since its import cost dances to the tune of naira/dollar songs!

Until we have stable electricity supply demand for fuel will remain very high and thus keep prices high.

Infact the minister is confused(both of them)
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by thawgy(m): 5:09pm On May 12, 2016
Akshow:
I bought my SIM card with number for 30,000 NAIRA. I made calls 70/per minute, whether it was 25 seconds or 60 seconds. Then MTN held sway.

Glo came. Econet came. Other Telecom companies came. All of a sudden, the price of SIM cards crashed to 3000 and 1000 NAIRA and then nothing! The telecom companies started begging us to pick up their SIM cards for free.

And now, I don't even know what MTN charges for a minute's call again. It's something I take for granted. But in 2004, I always checked my account balance to see how many minute's call my airtime could sustain. I do not have that worry today.

Competition in the sector has driven down the cost of everything. If my MTN line misbehaves, I buy airtime on my Glo network and make calls from there. There were times when MTN gave me bonuses whenever I had dropped their SIM for other networks just to woo me back.

Occasionally, MTN will role incentives, promos and packages to reward my loyalty. Other telecom companies do the same. The endpoint is always to keep their customers happy and hooked to their brands and services.

All that happened because President Obasanjo deregulated the sector. It appeared a crazy idea when he did it, in fact, the cost we borne was humungous. But all that has eased out to usher in an era of choice that comes with comparative ease today.

If you support the government's deregulation of the petroleum sector, though initially things will be tough, but ultimately, it will bring happiness just as we experienced in the telecom sector.

Have you ever imagined a situation where independent marketers will fall over their necks just to have you buy fuel in their stations? And then, you, the buyer, will make your yanga whether to buy in station A or B, if their price, quality and quantity is right.

That time will come, and sooner than we expect. So let's endure the pain of deregulation to enjoy the gain that is sure to come.

**** if you think the price of fuel will come down because th price cam down for the telecommunication companies.. infact you are very mad for saying this.. Did we all depend on using mobile phones?.. did we need mobile phones to get to work?.. did we need mobile phones to power our gens.. that was even a time these things were considered luxuries and not necessities and you have the guts to come and spew poo poo on here.. ****
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by byteem: 5:10pm On May 12, 2016
luluosas:

Do you at all understand my post? I never compare GSM and PMS any way. I said when petroleum products price were low, we were paying very high for telecoms services, but now petroleum products prices are high and we are now paying less for telecoms services instead paying higher.
So, all I am saying is that with competition opened to every one to play, prices would definitely forced itself down. Thank you.

OOOKK SORRY .. I REMOVE THE DUNSI PART.. BUT SERIOUSLY NO ONE SHOULD COMPARE GSM WITH THIS ... COS THAT WAHTS ALL THOSE BUAHAEEDIOTS USE TO CLAIM THAT PRICE WILL COME T=DOWN.. JUST ANOTHER SCAM.. IT WNT... NT WHEN THESE MAD MARKETERS ARE IN CHARGE... SEE HOW THEY MONOPLIZED THE DIESEL MARKET... WHY DINT MARKET FORCES BRING THAT DOWN..
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by nextstep(m): 5:13pm On May 12, 2016
We've been buying fuel around 145 on average for a few months now. So what's the big deal now that we will buy fuel around that same 145? I just want scarcity to go away
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by clemyayo: 5:15pm On May 12, 2016
NLC should focus on the 56k minimum wage,and forget about plan protest
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by pchukwudi: 5:16pm On May 12, 2016
mikolo80:
you de mind dem.they just like to complain for complaint sake.they be pretending like bread wasn't 6ok in our lifetime and yet now that its 60naira we are still surviving.
korea currency is 1000 to 1 dollar yet the samsung economy is stronger than nigeria and they only have 200,000 employees

Which crap are you talking about oga? Which Korea? North or South? Lieing maschine.
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by spiralwedge(m): 5:17pm On May 12, 2016
I love this administration and the present dispensation. We are waking up.

Just as it was in Ghana. It may hard now, but it's gonna be better later. We need to endure as hard and tough decisions are made.

The beauty of it all is that a fantastically enlightened citizenry will emerge.
God bless Nigeria.
God curse all enemies of Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by spiralwedge(m): 5:17pm On May 12, 2016
I love this administration and the present dispensation. We are waking up.

Just as it was in Ghana. It may hard now, but it's gonna be better later. We need to endure as hard and tough decisions are made.

The beauty of it all is that a fantastically enlightened citizenry will emerge.
God bless Nigeria.
God curse all enemies of Nigeria, within and without.
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by Nobody: 5:17pm On May 12, 2016
Akshow:

Would you have said this around 2012?
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by Nobody: 5:23pm On May 12, 2016
TANTUMERGO007:

God has lifted him above you and there is notin u can do change that, sorry,hating him wont take you anywhere.
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by crazygod(m): 5:24pm On May 12, 2016
Akshow:

Guy why u dey talk like this? Is petrol d same with fone? Dude this are two different tinz entirely. How many people were using fine when the deregulation of the telecommunications industry took place? U need to understand that petrol is a staple product, hence, it has an abnormal demand effect
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by Nobody: 5:29pm On May 12, 2016
omenka:
Of course you can. I don't make any promises though.
you don't seem to get why I asked to Send you my cv,only someone benefiting from this government will not feel this harsh economy and from your dp ,location and comment,I can see the government is really treating you well
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by GWMI(m): 5:30pm On May 12, 2016
The hypocrisy in yoruba, is second to none in Nigeria.Infact their education remains of use any longer.Shame.
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by 989900: 5:40pm On May 12, 2016
Akshow:

I find it depressingly laughable when people compare 'Telco' with 'oil and gas' in this light. #applesandoranges
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by MeAboki(m): 5:57pm On May 12, 2016
omenka:
Good!! cheesy

Another arrow right through the dark hearts of the Zoofrarians. cheesy

Let them initiate another round of whining on the forum and beyond, type insults directed at Omenka until their thumbs get sore, curse others who dare to take a different position from theirs, and wipe each other's assess clean with their tongues- NOTHING will happen.

If you don't like my comment- go fvck yourself.

If you don't like the President, go fvck yourself.

If you don't like Nigeria, go fvck a gargoyle.

If you don't like Nairaland, go fvck another gargoyle.

If you are too poor and miserable, and think insulting everyone else but your parents would fix your poverty, go get a rope and a chair and do the needful- save the world some oxygen.

If you are an iDaft yoot, screw you with knobs on.

Thank you.

Oboy, shake my e-hand, you said it all like how it is.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by lozanni(m): 6:05pm On May 12, 2016
omenka:
Good!! cheesy

Another arrow right through the dark hearts of the Zoofrarians. cheesy

Let them initiate another round of whining on the forum and beyond, type insults directed at Omenka until their thumbs get sore, curse others who dare to take a different position from theirs, and wipe each other's assess clean with their tongues- NOTHING will happen.

If you don't like my comment- go fvck yourself.

If you don't like the President, go fvck yourself.

If you don't like Nigeria, go fvck a gargoyle.

If you don't like Nairaland, go fvck another gargoyle.

If you are too poor and miserable, and think insulting everyone else but your parents would fix your poverty, go get a rope and a chair and do the needful- save the world some oxygen.

If you are an iDaft yoot, screw you with knobs on.

Thank you.

You are obsessed wth bubu, do you know that ?
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by phlemzy: 6:05pm On May 12, 2016
invectives:
what of the jobless what they gonna do?
The jobless will have to keep looking out for jobs or other means of livelihood. The Nigeria of today is strictly all man for himself. Even the government doesn't really care.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ambode, Ashafa, Abike-dabiri Tipped To Replace Late Oshinowo / The Second Coming Of Goodluck Jonathan - Dele Momodu / PDP Agent's Hand Pictured On The Ground After Being Hacked Off In Kano. Graphic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.