Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,403 members, 7,815,879 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price (55699 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: FG Not Contemplating Hike In Petrol Pump Price - SGF Says / Nigerians... Reject The Cabal! / Why Nigerians Reject 9.61 Trillion Loan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by lozanni(m): 6:17pm On May 12, 2016
modath:
That's the way forward...... People have been buying at exorbitant rate, the wages should rise and meet it....

Only way out of the quagmire is local refining capacity, every other thing is band aid on a festering wound!!!!

P.S===== All you crazies whose life ambition is to jump in my mentions for no good reason but to bellyache over my opinions,

1.I do not owe anyone any explanation or right to question my God and civil rights approved opinions, if you want to occupy anywhere, safe journey...

2. Show us all the positive impact of the SURE-P, 2012 partial removal of subsidy made in the lives of Nigerians , from 65-97..(or we have all forgotten all the promises of "palliatives" that didnt see the light of day and only made some cronies richer?

You are right that deregulation is the way to go in order to boost local refining capacity; however asking that wages should rise to meet demand for petrolum products, housing,food etc without taking care to ensure that there is adequate supply, of say housing, and other commodities, will cause the rent of houses, cost of foodstuff to go beyond the reach of the ordinary man.
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by diegwu01: 6:21pm On May 12, 2016
sexymonkey:
After graduating, na village straight. #farmingthings
Great move!
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by sexymonkey(m): 6:24pm On May 12, 2016
diegwu01:
Great move!
thanks sir
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by greenify: 6:28pm On May 12, 2016
So this is how dullard people think. Because of salary increase people should keep quiet? What of people dat do not have job? Do they offend God? Hypocrite at higher order.
Fuel increase affect every living soul even unborn child. So govt should consider only govt workers by increasing their salaries. Hmmmmmm I don't know what to say again.
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by omenka(m): 6:37pm On May 12, 2016
MrAboki:

Mr. Omenka says you should improve on your personnal hygiene, cut your finger nails and whilst you are at it;

Love your memes. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by omenka(m): 6:39pm On May 12, 2016
lozanni:

You are obsessed wth bubu, do you know that ?
Yes I know that.

iPod yoots are obsessed with Omenka, do you know that? cheesy

Haba!! 90plus mentions from iPods in less than 24hrs. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by lozanni(m): 6:46pm On May 12, 2016
omenka:
Yes I know that.

iPod yoots are obsessed with Omenka, do you know that? cheesy

Haba!! 90plus mentions from iPods in less than 24hrs. grin

For an unpaid Job, you are really trying ohh.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by omenka(m): 6:54pm On May 12, 2016
lozanni:

For an unpaid Job, you are really trying ohh.
My brother, na God oo. How your paid job naw? cheesy
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by Topiipii(m): 6:58pm On May 12, 2016
The best thing will be to invade the national assembly and demand a forceful reduction in their wages, those goons are reputedly the highest paid lawmakers in the world and live in a country where the minimum wage is roughly $60; isn't that a shame? I am sure Nigerians will turn out en masse if they should make that call. omenka, modath please quote this on the front page and make my day, I am certain that those clowns would take Nigerians more serious if this can be achieved.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by mikolo80: 7:02pm On May 12, 2016
pchukwudi:

Which crap are you talking about oga? Which Korea? North or South? Lieing maschine.
which korea get samsung,google is your friend.and if i am not lying then you and your offspring to the seventh generation will perish
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by Larriekay: 7:09pm On May 12, 2016
Akshow:
I bought my SIM card with number for 30,000 NAIRA. I made calls 70/per minute, whether it was 25 seconds or 60 seconds. Then MTN held sway.

Glo came. Econet came. Other Telecom companies came. All of a sudden, the price of SIM cards crashed to 3000 and 1000 NAIRA and then nothing! The telecom companies started begging us to pick up their SIM cards for free.

And now, I don't even know what MTN charges for a minute's call again. It's something I take for granted. But in 2004, I always checked my account balance to see how many minute's call my airtime could sustain. I do not have that worry today.

Competition in the sector has driven down the cost of everything. If my MTN line misbehaves, I buy airtime on my Glo network and make calls from there. There were times when MTN gave me bonuses whenever I had dropped their SIM for other networks just to woo me back.

Occasionally, MTN will role incentives, promos and packages to reward my loyalty. Other telecom companies do the same. The endpoint is always to keep their customers happy and hooked to their brands and services.

All that happened because President Obasanjo deregulated the sector. It appeared a crazy idea when he did it, in fact, the cost we borne was humungous. But all that has eased out to usher in an era of choice that comes with comparative ease today.

If you support the government's deregulation of the petroleum sector, though initially things will be tough, but ultimately, it will bring happiness just as we experienced in the telecom sector.

Have you ever imagined a situation where independent marketers will fall over their necks just to have you buy fuel in their stations? And then, you, the buyer, will make your yanga whether to buy in station A or B, if their price, quality and quantity is right.

That time will come, and sooner than we expect. So let's endure the pain of deregulation to enjoy the gain that is sure to come.

Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by Remii(m): 7:13pm On May 12, 2016
chikel2000:
Everybody is crazy, oh so if salaries r increased wot abt d man who has a shop or the one who farms?. Hypocrisy is too bad
he will increase cost of his goods and services too, na only jobless go hear am
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by pchukwudi: 7:14pm On May 12, 2016
mikolo80:
which korea get samsung,google is your friend.and if i am not lying then you and your offspring to the seventh generation will perish

I rebuke you in Jesus name. Curse causeless shall not stand. I am the blessed of God Almighty. I am a covenant seed of blessing. And YAHW (with a vow) curses anyone that tries to curse me. And He declares that any tongue that rises against me in judgment is CONDENMED.

Sorry you cannot curse whom God has blessed, instead you'd just cut yourself down for good.

And say not to the angel that it was a mistake.
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by omoigbomina(m): 7:17pm On May 12, 2016
chikel2000:
Everybody is crazy, oh so if salaries r increased wot abt d man who has a shop or the one who farms?. Hypocrisy is too bad
Then they will be able to patronise the shop and buy the farm produce.
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by nellyelitz(m): 7:20pm On May 12, 2016
Monitored in zombieland
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by modath(f): 7:35pm On May 12, 2016
Topiipii:
The best thing will be to invade the national assembly and demand a forceful reduction in their wages, those goons are reputedly the highest paid lawmakers in the world and live in a country where the minimum wage is roughly $60; isn't that a shame? I am sure Nigerians will turn out en masse if they should make that call. omenka, modath please quote this on the front page and make my day, I am certain that those clowns would take Nigerians more serious if this can be achieved.

Bros, i nor wan die ooo!!! reduction in NASS insensitive undeserved jumbo pay? shocked shocked shocked .... Why? on top that hard labour? you people are not appreciative of noble, loyal servants, na wah ooo

Who wants assasins after them? cheesy even if they want to, hangers-on,political godfathers ,jobbers and party loyalists that depend on their largesse will make sure that never happens!!!!

They've worked for the money in heaven, they are only here to collect their reward.. cool cool

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by omenka(m): 7:59pm On May 12, 2016
Topiipii:
Great idea, but would ethnoreligious bigotry allow us to ever forge such a common front in this country??
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by diana158(m): 8:33pm On May 12, 2016
Akshow:
I bought my SIM card with number for 30,000 NAIRA. I made calls 70/per minute, whether it was 25 seconds or 60 seconds. Then MTN held sway.

Glo came. Econet came. Other Telecom companies came. All of a sudden, the price of SIM cards crashed to 3000 and 1000 NAIRA and then nothing! The telecom companies started begging us to pick up their SIM cards for free.

And now, I don't even know what MTN charges for a minute's call again. It's something I take for granted. But in 2004, I always checked my account balance to see how many minute's call my airtime could sustain. I do not have that worry today.

Competition in the sector has driven down the cost of everything. If my MTN line misbehaves, I buy airtime on my Glo network and make calls from there. There were times when MTN gave me bonuses whenever I had dropped their SIM for other networks just to woo me back.

Occasionally, MTN will role incentives, promos and packages to reward my loyalty. Other telecom companies do the same. The endpoint is always to keep their customers happy and hooked to their brands and services.

All that happened because President Obasanjo deregulated the sector. It appeared a crazy idea when he did it, in fact, the cost we borne was humungous. But all that has eased out to usher in an era of choice that comes with comparative ease today.

If you support the government's deregulation of the petroleum sector, though initially things will be tough, but ultimately, it will bring happiness just as we experienced in the telecom sector.

Have you ever imagined a situation where independent marketers will fall over their necks just to have you buy fuel in their stations? And then, you, the buyer, will make your yanga whether to buy in station A or B, if their price, quality and quantity is right.

That time will come, and sooner than we expect. So let's endure the pain of deregulation to enjoy the gain that is sure to come.

what you are saying has happened already with diesel yet diesel is still sold at 100+naira, Now while the removal of subsidy is something we all should want for govt to save money considering low price oil crude oil, i think it was ill timed, this is because since i was born i have never seen any year as bad as 2016 economically, the truth is it started from when Buhari became the president. so it is ill timed. Again how are we sure that the people who will be importing the PMS will not have a union like NUPENG where they will use to fix price wherby they can sale anyhow they want. So my take is that is ill timed and there is no back up plan to cushion the effect like wage increase and so it should be resisted. some will say there is no better time than now but i think spoilng the whole of 2016 for Nigerians through hardship is unfair.
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by coolplanet: 8:46pm On May 12, 2016
divinehand2003:
A Push For increment in minimum wage is the right path to take at this juncture.
Deregulation of the downstream oil sector is a good decision and welcome development.
Hope the pump price crashes at the end.

My question is why removing subsidy when our refineries are not functioning well.why not leave subsidy and repair all refineries. With this there won't be subsidy issue
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by nortcentrallord(m): 9:18pm On May 12, 2016
modath:
That's the way forward...... People have been buying at exorbitant rate, the wages should rise and meet it....

Only way out of the quagmire is local refining capacity, every other thing is band aid on a festering wound!!!!

P.S===== All you crazies whose life ambition is to jump in my mentions for no good reason but to bellyache over my opinions,

1.I do not owe anyone any explanation or right to question my God and civil rights approved opinions, if you want to occupy anywhere, safe journey...

2. Show us all the positive impact of the SURE-P, 2012 partial removal of subsidy made in the lives of Nigerians , from 65-97..(or we have all forgotten all the promises of "palliatives" that didnt see the light of day and only made some cronies richer?

Back to the subject matter, am not surprised your only solution to this will be increasing the minimum wage. Like I said earlier, I clearly rated you higher that what you are. Go ahead and turn Nigeria into Zimbabwe because you support the president's decision even on the time you have to poo. Such act is only carried out by a group of people in this present administration and you know what they are called. You can fill it in. "Inflation" does that mean anything to you and your lot? What has changed with access to forex or is there any special forex for oil importers?

Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by nortcentrallord(m): 9:23pm On May 12, 2016
phlemzy:
They will equally increase the prices of their products/services.

That will result in excessive inflation and with time, what will be the difference between Nigeria and Zimbabwe? What will be the need for removal of subsidy and increasing minimum wage when the common man can't save or carry out any meaningful project in his life?
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by Bgino(m): 11:12pm On May 12, 2016
Akshow:

so why then did u occupy nigeria when GEJ wanted to do same
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by happney65: 7:45am On May 13, 2016
omolola15:

God bless you sir. So so thoughtful

happney65 I supported GEJ's subsidy removal back then with this same point up there. You opposed him. Your point wasn't valid back then until now. Where are the sure-p bus and staffs. But I'll still support PMB's move again with this same point. And I'll be hoping Buhari do a good job with money meant for the subsidy. Most people protesting back then were doing it based on the fact that they don't trust the government to handle the sure-p programs. And they were right. Sure-p was another Avenue for scam. But if we can put aside our differences and look for a way forward. In no time we'll be enjoying fuel at the lowest price ever. If dem like make dem occupy everywhere this remains a good plan to me. No more subsidy.

I did not support deregulation of the Oil and Gas Industry neither will i now..You cant keep comparing the telecommunication industry to that of Oil and Gas..We had no telecommunication industry at all and it was deregulated.so tell me something,we have a Oil and Gas Industry all we needed is the Govt to fix the refineries and we are good to go.Is that too much to ask for?Is it Rocket science to have a functional refinery?Why should the People pay for the cost of govt inefficiency.Why?You claim you want to deregulate,and Mr Bubu is also living the same type of flamboyant lifestyle GEJ lived..Still kept the same type of Presidential Jets,Had over a Billion Naira to fed in a year even more than that of GEJ.

You keep saying their are so-called Cabals in the Oil Industry abi?Cant they be arrested and brought to book?I guess they are so so powerful abi?But you can arrest members of the opposition and shout corruption..And by the way,this is not deregulation,this is fuel price increase..You dont deregulate and fix price.Abi shey NCC dey fix price for MTN and Co?

Guess you dont know,Everything has gone up since just a year Mr Bubu came into power,Inflation has gone over the roof and now this again,Una never see anything..Suffer go dey ur head heennn..You just dey start nii..
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by gbengaadeleye12: 10:16am On May 13, 2016
1. What are the benefits of the new price regime to Nigerians?
This government is elected to serve the people and provide benefits to all. The new pricing regime brings the following benefits:
• End fuel scarcity by ensuring availability of products at all locations of the country

• Reduce hoarding, smuggling and diversion substantially and stabilise price at the actual product price

• Ensures market stability and improves fuel supply situation through private sector participation

• Creates Labour market stability (will potentially create additional 200,000 jobs through new investments in Refineries and Retails and prevent potential loss of nearly 400,000 jobs in existing investments)
2. Why the new price regime?
The rise in crude oil price and high cost of importation has brought back subsidy regime (at the price of N86.50). Due to decline in government income related to crude oil and output caused by vandalism in the Niger Delta, there is neither funding nor appropriation to cover this in the 2016 Budget.

3. What is the difference between this new price regime and previous price reviews?
All stakeholders including marketing companies and independent experts were consulted in arriving at the appropriate cost reflective regime. This is in furtherance of the Price modulation on framework rolled out in January 2016 which entails modulating prices down or up on a periodic basis to reflect actual prevailing costs.

4. Is this new price regime a deregulation?
While the Federal Government is not deregulating, this new price regime will ensure that the price of products are monitored to ensure that citizen get a fair value for products they purchase.

5. What is the real cost of PMS to the Nigerian consumer?
The estimated “true” cost of PMS was valued to be 243.05NGN per litre. This is factoring the estimated average mean spent to obtain PMS at the official price (86.50NGN), the estimated hourly wage of the average Nigerian, the average price of PMS on the black market and the estimated average volume bought per visit to the filling stations.
6. Why do we have scarcity?
There is no foreign currency and ways to open a new line of credit to bring in more products. This has imposed over 90% supply on NNPC since October 2015 in contrast to the past where NNPC supplies ~48% of the national requirement. NNPC does not have the resources for and is not designed to meet this increase in supply, this has resulted in the current fuel situa on across the country.
7. Will the new price regime ensure availability of petroleum products?
The new price regime will allow Marketers source their foreign exchange independently of CBN and ensure product supply in all locations of the country.
8. Will the new price regime positively impact the economy?
Clearly the continuation of subsidies in any form for PMS limits the ability of Government to deliver its statutory functions such as power generation, security, education, health etc. The new price regime will enable government focus on these critical sectors and free up our scarce foreign exchange to be used in other sectors
9. What happens to the subsidy provision in the 2016 budget?
There is no provision for subsidy in the 2016 budget
10. Why should Nigerians not enjoy low petroleum prices as the nation is a Major Oil Producer?
Crude oil price is an internationally traded commodity, the prices are not set by the countries that produce it. Neither do oil producing countries get a discount in the international market for producing this product. Furthermore, crude oil price accounts for about 80% of the final cost of fuel. Other costs include depot charges, transportation costs, chemicals, spare parts, raw materials etc are related to host of economic factors. Therefore, at the current crude oil price of $40 per barrel, the finished domestic refined fuel sold to Nigerians cannot be priced lower than the cost of the crude.
11.How would the Government ensure that Petroleum Marketers sell within the price range?
The relevant regulatory institutions (DPR, PPPRA) will be further empowered to ensure level playing ground, strict compliance with market rules by all stakeholders and consumer protection.
12. How does petrol price in Nigeria compare with those of other countries?
Even with the new price regime, Nigeria would remain one of the cheapest fuel markets in Africa and this could even be lower once competition takes effect. Likelihood of smuggling to neighbouring countries will also be significantly reduced with the new price regime
13. When do we stop petroleum products importation?
Nigeria will only stop product importation when it attains local production sufficiency. The present administration is working assiduously on key initiatives towards boosting our local refining capacity.

Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by shugaboy6102(m): 11:28am On May 13, 2016
chikel2000:
u seem to have a valid point.if salaries are increased what then happens to private workers or farmers or those not working for the government.very sensible jor
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by Topiipii(m): 1:55pm On May 13, 2016
modath:

Bros, i nor wan die ooo!!! reduction in NASS insensitive undeserved jumbo pay? shocked shocked shocked .... Why? on top that hard labour? you people are not appreciative of noble, loyal servants, na wah ooo

Who wants assasins after them? cheesy even if they want to, hangers-on,political godfathers ,jobbers and party loyalists that depend on their largesse will make sure that never happens!!!!

They've worked for the money in heaven, they are only here to collect their reward.. cool cool
Take this grin for your humorous reply, but all I need is for NLC/TUC to make the pronouncement. The number of people who depend on their largesse is not even worth being termed a fraction of the population.
omenka:
Great idea, but would ethnoreligious bigotry allow us to ever forge such a common front in this country??
Let NLC/TUC just make the announcement, daz'all.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by TeeVee(m): 11:44am On May 15, 2016
Akshow:

Arrhhh, u get sense baje baje

1000 like
Re: Nigerians Reject Labour Move Against Pump Price by otokx(m): 12:35pm On May 15, 2016
So many people are selling petrol above 145 per litre in Delta State.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

See Reno Omokri Tweet About Peter Obi One Year Ago. What Went Wrong? / 23 Members Of Ekiti House Of Assembly Storm Fayose's Residence (PHOTOS) / Thief Obasanjo - he wrecked Nigeria and stole $200bn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.