Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,654 members, 7,809,478 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:16 AM

Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs (37177 Views)

Obasanjo: Buhari Ignored Federal Character In Security Chiefs’ Appointments / Throwback Photo Of Obasanjo & Buhari In 1978 & Now / Fayose On FRESH 105.9FM Ibadan: "Ekiti Will Be In Economic Bondage Till 2036" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by citizenisb: 4:38pm On May 14, 2016
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo says President Muhammadu Buhari may not do well in economy and foreign affairs, except in military matters.

“Buhari is not a very hot person on the economy and foreign affairs,” Obasanjo said.

The former President stated this on Monday at the third International Conference on African Development Issues — themed, “Driving inclusive and sustainable development in Africa: Models, methods and policies” — organised by Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State.

While reacting to a question posed to him by a member of the audience: “Is there any hope for Nigeria under the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari?”, Obasanjo replied, “Is there any hope for Nigeria under this administration? I came back from Geneva, Switzerland a few days ago to attend a conference titled, ‘Are elections giving democracy a bad name?’ We had an election, we elected a leader and the good thing about democracy is that the power you have to elect a leader is also the power you have to remove him. I am saying this because I said earlier that if you don’t see any leader that has done well in the 56 years of Nigeria’s independence, then let us forget about Nigeria.

“I will tell you what I know and I will tell you what I don’t know. I know Gen. Muhammadu Buhari. He served under me in the military. His characteristics that I know, his behaviour that I know, he has not deviated from them. He was never a perfect man, he is not a perfect man and no leader can ever be a perfect man because they are human beings. But if you read my book, what I said about him is correct. He is not a hot person when it comes to economy. He is not a very hot person when it comes to foreign affairs. But he will do well in matters of military and he will do well in fighting Boko Haram.”

The former president also said he tried his best in fighting corruption, especially in the recovery of funds looted by the late Gen. Sani Abacha and that as of the time he left the government, about $1bn was still to be recovered.

Obasanjo said, “For me, we have no hope if we have no future. I am an optimist as far as Nigeria is concerned. If somebody doesn’t get it all right for now, we will get somebody who will come up and fix whatever is missing. The administration before this had no clue on how to deal with Boko Haram, there is no doubt about that.

“You may not like the way he (Buhari) is fighting corruption. I fought corruption. We recovered over $1.25bn from Abacha and his men. We didn’t make noise. Also, we recovered £100m and about N30m and those who were helping us, the lawyers and the rest said there was still at least $1bn to be recovered at that time. I put it in my handover notes. But rather than encourage scrupulous persons, we had another spate of corruption.”

Obasanjo added that fighting corruption would not be effective if it did not translate to better life for the citizens.

He said, “Fighting corruption is not a one-day or a one-regime affair. If where we left it, they continued, we would have gone far. For me, the questions are: Is corruption being fought? And if it is being fought, is it being effectively fought? Are we getting the desired results? And if we are getting the desired results, what impact is it having on our society and on our nation?”

Other speakers at the event included Nigeria’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Prof. Joy Ogwu, and the Associate Vice-President, Research, McMaster University, Canada, Prof. Bonny Ibhawoh.

They both said if Africa was to experience any development, leaders must match their words or policies with action.

http://www.punchng.com/buhari-not-sound-economy-foreign-affairs-obasanjo/

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by austinsmat(m): 4:41pm On May 14, 2016
hmmn

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by dabigwalls: 4:42pm On May 14, 2016
SeverusSnape would have pounced on this topic like it is a litre of petrol. Ok...to the issue...

Are we looking for someone hot in economic affairs? No.
Are we looking for someone hot in energy management? No
Are we looking for an overnight miracle worker? No
Are we looking for a man who will cleanse Nigeria in a jiffy? No
So what do we want in our President....(Now that I got the attention of APC PEOPLE)

We want a president who will govern with sincerity. A man who will call on God for help to move us forward rather than looking at the past as if our glory can never be reclaimed again. Obasanjo was not an economic guru. He met the Abacha bastardized treasury but with an open and serious mind got to work and the result? 60Bn dollars left in the national treasury.

Buhari we love you but if you continue with this penchant of past administration this and that, you will be hustling to achieve half of what Jonathan achieved. And our collective interests as Nigerians would not have been served by that.

Hot or cold, add sincerity and you will prosper.

79 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by plaetton: 4:43pm On May 14, 2016
Daahhhh!!!

And yet you supported him to preside over the affairs of this very complex country for 4 years ?

That makes you , OBJ, the traitor in chief of the Nigerian people.

208 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by Osezzua(m): 4:43pm On May 14, 2016
okay

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by citizenisb: 4:43pm On May 14, 2016
But if you read my book, what I said about him is correct.

He is not a hot person when it comes to economy. He is not a very hot person when it comes to foreign affairs.

But he will do well in matters of military and he will do well in fighting Boko Haram.”

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by silvoice(m): 4:43pm On May 14, 2016
With all these news, the zombies are reducing in number, many are now wailing. Choi!!

117 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by citizenisb: 4:51pm On May 14, 2016
Obasanjo is such a back stabber.

I believe in Buhari and corrupt Obasanjo can go to blazes for all we care, we just need to be patient as Nigerians.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by iflywithbuhari(f): 4:52pm On May 14, 2016
lincoln Navigator of APC, not only are you not hot in economy, governance, politics, energy and science, you are also very cold in common sense 101.

58 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by greatgod2012(f): 4:53pm On May 14, 2016
You knew this baba, yet, you supported him in ruling the country. Posterity will never forgive you o

93 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by iflywithbuhari(f): 4:54pm On May 14, 2016
citizenisb:
Obasanjo is such a back stabber.

I believe in Buhari and corrupt Obasanjo can go to blazes for all we care, we just need to be patient as Nigerians.
E pain am. Ntooor

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by Gogetta(m): 4:57pm On May 14, 2016
Nothing new. He wrote it in his book, my watch.

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by citizenisb: 4:58pm On May 14, 2016
Obasanjo should be supportive and not critical of the government. This is our country and we should all make it work and not point accusing fingers.

Obasanjo is not Patriotic at all.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by mesoprogress(m): 4:59pm On May 14, 2016
Everyone knows that buhari doesn't know a jack about economic policies. Even me that didn't study economics beyond secondary school know he's a dullard.

First he restricted dorm accounts, saw it wouldn't work and reversed it. Presently pegged naira at N197 while naira is already devalued for every nigerian since all our commodities including petrol is purchased at parallel market price. So his adamant N197-199 to dollar looks ridiculous and stupid.

He's completely confused . He doesn't know what he's doing.

57 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by STARGREEN(m): 4:59pm On May 14, 2016
Yet you gave him 100% support all because of Jonathan? Your personal interests seems more than entire nation? Relax and pray so that this change may not CHAN U

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by STARGREEN(m): 5:03pm On May 14, 2016
ok

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by SenatorJChris: 5:04pm On May 14, 2016
OBJ is a bloody chameleon.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by bodeloja: 5:05pm On May 14, 2016
I hope the dullard understand that Baba is stating the obvious. grin

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by Nobody: 5:06pm On May 14, 2016
E don red for dulladinho

He should know by now that the click that handed power over to him are coming for it in 2019 so he shlould hurry up

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by Pangea: 5:07pm On May 14, 2016
Opari!
Welcome, suffering for Nigerians!

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by aare07(m): 5:07pm On May 14, 2016
T
Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by cckris: 5:08pm On May 14, 2016
The NAVIGATOR can't jump ship.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by Nobody: 5:08pm On May 14, 2016
citizenisb:
Obasanjo should be supportive and not critical of the government. This is our country and we should all make it work and not point accusing fingers.

Obasanjo is not Patriotic at all.
ntooor!

When he was doing same to jonathan you hailed him,but today you are crying cos your dullard is at the receivin end.

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by TheFreeOne: 5:09pm On May 14, 2016
Even the dead knows (except zombies) not to talk of the living that Buhari is a neophyte in governance, economics and diplomacy.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by EasternLion: 5:09pm On May 14, 2016
The gorilla of Owu, doing like a typical west sider. As soon as things are getting tough for the dullard, he is already excusing himself by claiming he wrote it in his book.
Never will those people stand or drown will you till the end, as soon as it gets tough, they abandon you.

Buhari you are on ur own, the navigator has left u already..

Lunatics everywhere, very sad indeed.

46 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by huntila(m): 5:10pm On May 14, 2016
Obasanjo. Nigeria's biggest problem. Multifaceted human

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by greatgod2012(f): 5:10pm On May 14, 2016
But why would OBJ support this man if he knows this much about him, or are we still in military era?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by Nobody: 5:11pm On May 14, 2016
If military affairs is his forte, then he is better off as the Chief of Defence Staff.
A man with a smattering knowledge of the economy cannot be trusted to pull us out of this current economic quagmire.
It is obvious from his utterances when in foreign lands that he knows very little about foreign relations. At least his incessant travels have earned us a new sobriquet --" fantastically corrupt country."
Obasanjo seems to have been afflicted with the voter's remorse sweeping across the land.
Aside all these, when will Obasanjo come down from his pious high ground and take a look at the mirror? He could say bodly at a conference that he fought corruption and no one could at least demur?

10 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by LadyExcellency: 5:15pm On May 14, 2016
He is not also good in managing talents.

Prof. Osinbajo should be given open hand to consult wide as a leader of the Economic team for an assuring results.

Buhari should give way for people in his cabinet that have experience in democratic governance and diplomacy.

Everything no be by force.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by greatgod2012(f): 5:15pm On May 14, 2016
huntila:
Obasanjo. Nigeria's biggest problem. Multifaceted human

exactly, that's why I said it on another thread that OBJ cannot be forgotten, not for good reasons, but negatively.
He has been the architect of so many problems confronting this country.

Posterity cannot forgive him.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by Kagarko(m): 5:16pm On May 14, 2016
No human is an island of knowledge.

PMB is not exceptional.

That is why the constitution allows him to appoint someone who knows it better to help him manage the different sectors of our economy.

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: Buhari Not Hot In Economic Affairs by Rapmoney(m): 5:18pm On May 14, 2016
An old fool imposed an incompetent dullar.d from Katsina on gullible Nigerians!!! Nigerians and the short memory syndrome!

16 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Burial Of Ibisaki Daperi Amachree Shot Dead By Soldier During Election In Rivers / Ambode, Fayose, Argebesola And Ajimobi At Western Nigerian Governors’ Forum / Hauwa Atiku-Uwais: Atiku Donated Land, Office To Me – Daughter (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.