Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,698 members, 7,809,642 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:26 PM

Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? (32426 Views)

What Is Your Take On Couples Who Attend Different Churches? / If We All Pay Tithes To Churches, Who Do Churches Pay Tithes Too? Just Curious / Is It Wrong To Attend Different Churches? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by EPOMA(m): 1:28pm On Aug 19, 2009
@ Chukz4real and gbubs
These are some of the proofs you wanted, even in America that you have TD Jake, Benny Hinn and others , Islam is still growing faster.

"Islam is widely considered Europe's fastest growing religion, with immigration and above average birth rates leading to a rapid increase in the Muslim population."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4385768.stm

"The second-largest religion in the world after Christianity, Islam is also the fastest-growing religion. In the United States, for example, nearly 80 percent of the more than 1,200 mosques have been built in the past 12 years. "

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9704/14/egypt.islam/

Please check the amount of Mosque that have been built yet the Muslims are not on tele begging for money or tithe.
It shames me when I see church organisations going to Africa to built boreholes that are manually pumped and then show that on Tele for us to donate more money, If i had the money like those churches had, I would lay pipes for miles and get electric pumps.Could they build that in their country
Make we sit up as Christians abeg
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by EPOMA(m): 1:46pm On Aug 19, 2009
@chukwudi44 I second all your post

@ Tonye-t
you just bit yourself with your word
"who says tithe is part of the Jewish law, it was a standard/concept/principle/custom that existed b4 the advent of the law(Jewish law) and was only included into the mosaic law showing how it ought to be administered if they must be blessed"
so do we as christian follow the standard /concept/principle and custom of the land or we follow Jesus Christ laws.
Even the common CDs,Books and DVDs that the churches sell, I can afford to give them out for free in thousands, talkless of those flying private jets.The cost of running those jets are enormous.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Aug 19, 2009
tonye-t:

@chukwudi44,

who says tithe is part of the jewish law, it was a standard/concept/priniciple/custom that existed b4 the advent of the law(jewish law) and was only included into the mosaic law showing how it ought to be administered if they must be blessed

MR man why don't you[b] Biblically[/b] show me where tithe was stated as a standard ,also biblically
EPOMA:

@ Chukz4real and gbubs
These are some of the proofs you wanted, even in America that you have TD Jake, Benny Hinn and others , Islam is still growing faster.

"Islam is widely considered Europe's fastest growing religion, with immigration and above average birth rates leading to a rapid increase in the Muslim population."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4385768.stm

"The second-largest religion in the world after Christianity, Islam is also the fastest-growing religion. In the United States, for example, nearly 80 percent of the more than 1,200 mosques have been built in the past 12 years. "

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9704/14/egypt.islam/

Please check the amount of Mosque that have been built yet the Muslims are not on tele begging for money or tithe.
It shames me when I see church organisations going to Africa to built boreholes that are manually pumped and then show that on Tele for us to donate more money, If i had the money like those churches had, I would lay pipes for miles and get electric pumps.Could they build that in their country
Make we sit up as Christians abeg
define what you mean by standard.
Sorry to diaspoint you islam might be growing but definitely not in europe and the US .The europe Iknow is mostly christian and is definitely nnot sliding towards islam.

The romancatholic church remains the fastest growing religious sect in the US with barely 25,000 members and constituting less thjan 2% of the US population about 200 years ago is now with 67 milliom members and about 25% of the Us population .

You might want to confirm from wikipedia

You can go further to idicate where it was written that we could use money to tithe or whehre it was paid,daily ,weekly or monthly
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Aug 19, 2009
@ tonye-t
MR man why don't you Biblically show me where tithe was stated as a standard ,also biblically define what you mean by standard.

You can go further to idicate where it was written that we could use money to tithe or whehre it was paid,daily ,weekly or monthly
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by dwonder(m): 3:18pm On Aug 19, 2009
Tithing and the Law

The commandment to tithe was part of the Law that God gave to the 12 tribes of ancient Israel more than 3,500 years ago. That Law decreed that a tenth of the produce of the land and fruit trees and a tenth of the increase of the herds be given to the tribe of Levi in support of their services at the tabernacle.—Leviticus 27:30, 32; Numbers 18:21, 24.
God assured the Israelites that the Law 'would not be too difficult for them.' (Deuteronomy 30:11) As long as they faithfully observed God's commandments, including tithing, they had his promise of abundant harvests. And as a protection, an additional yearly tithe, normally consumed when the nation met for its religious festivities, was regularly set aside. Thus 'the alien resident, the fatherless boy, and the widow' could be satisfied.—Deuteronomy 14:28, 29; 28:1, 2, 11-14.

The Law did not specify a penalty for failing to tithe, but each Israelite was under a strong moral obligation to support true worship in this way. In fact, God accused Israelites who neglected tithing in Malachi's day of 'robbing him in tithes and offerings.' (Malachi 3:8, New International Version) Could the same charge be leveled at Christians who do not tithe?
Well, consider. National laws are not normally valid outside a country's borders. For example, the law that obliges motorists in Britain to drive on the left does not apply to drivers in France. Similarly, the law requiring tithing was part of an exclusive covenant between God and the nation of Israel. (Exodus 19:3-8; Psalm 147:19, 20) Only the Israelites were bound by that law.
In addition, although it is true that God never changes, his requirements sometimes do. (Malachi 3:6) The Bible states categorically that the sacrificial death of Jesus, in 33 C.E., "blotted out," or "abolished," the Law and with it the "commandment to collect tithes."—Colossians 2:13, 14; Ephesians 2:13-15; Hebrews 7:5, 18.

Christian Giving

However, contributions to support true worship were still needed. Jesus had commissioned his disciples 'to be witnesses to the most distant part of the earth.' (Acts 1:cool As the number of believers grew, so did the need for Christian teachers and overseers to visit and strengthen the congregations. Widows, orphans, and other needy ones had to be cared for at times. How did the first-century Christians cover the costs involved?

About 55 C.E., an appeal went out to Gentile Christians in Europe and Asia Minor in behalf of the impoverished congregation in Judea. In his letters to the congregation in Corinth, the apostle Paul describes how this 'collection for the holy ones' was organized. (1 Corinthians 16:1) You may be surprised at what Paul's words reveal about Christian giving.
The apostle Paul did not cajole fellow believers to give. In fact, Macedonian Christians who were "under affliction" and in "deep poverty" had to 'keep begging him with much entreaty for the privilege of kindly giving and for a share in the ministry destined for the holy ones.'—2 Corinthians 8:1-4.

True, Paul encouraged the more affluent Corinthians to imitate their generous brothers in Macedonia. Even so, observes one reference work, he 'declined to issue directives, preferring rather to request, suggest, encourage, or appeal. Spontaneity and warmth would be absent from the Corinthians' giving if coercion were present.' Paul knew that "God loves a cheerful giver," not one who gives "grudgingly or under compulsion."—2 Corinthians 9:7.

Abundant faith and knowledge together with genuine love for fellow Christians would have impelled the Corinthians to give spontaneously.—2 Corinthians 8:7, 8.

'As He Has Resolved in His Own Heart'

Rather than specifying an amount or a percentage, Paul merely suggested that "on the first day of every week, each one . . . should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income." (Italics ours; 1 Corinthians 16:2, NIV) By planning and reserving an amount on a regular basis, the Corinthians would not feel pressured into giving begrudgingly or on emotional impulse when Paul arrived. For each Christian, the decision of how much to give was to be a private matter, one that 'he had resolved in his own heart.'—2 Corinthians 9:5, 7.

In order to reap generously, the Corinthians had to sow generously. No suggestion of giving until it hurts was ever made. 'I do not mean for it to be hard on you,' Paul assured them. Contributions were 'especially acceptable according to what a person had, not according to what a person did not have.' (2 Corinthians 8:12, 13; 9:6) In a later letter, the apostle warned: "If anyone does not provide for those . . . who are members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith." (1 Timothy 5:cool Paul did not encourage giving that violated this principle.

It is significant that Paul supervised a 'collection for the holy ones' who were in need. We do not read in the Scriptures about Paul or the other apostles organizing collections or receiving tithes to finance their own ministries. (Acts 3:6) Always grateful to receive the gifts that the congregations sent him, Paul conscientiously avoided imposing "an expensive burden" on his brothers.—1 Thessalonians 2:9; Philippians 4:15-18.

Voluntary Giving Today

Clearly, during the first century, followers of Christ practiced voluntary giving, not tithing. However, you may wonder if this is still an effective way to finance the preaching of the good news and to care for Christians who are in need.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Aug 19, 2009
Actually it is the law of God that every bible believing Christian should pay tithes which is 1/10 of income.
Check Malachi 3: 8-10. It is non-negotiable.
In addition a Christian is expected to make voluntary payments called offerings to his or her Church.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Aug 19, 2009
@dwonder

I don't know what you are really on about here but abolition of the sabbath rules and the requirement to make blood sacrifices in no way invalidates the other commandments and rules stated in the old testament.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 19, 2009
@dwonder

dwonder:

Tithing and the Law

The commandment to tithe was part of the Law that God gave to the 12 tribes of ancient Israel more than 3,500 years ago. That Law decreed that a tenth of the produce of the land and fruit trees and a tenth of the increase of the herds be given to the tribe of Levi in support of their services at the tabernacle.—Leviticus 27:30, 32; Numbers 18:21, 24.
God assured the Israelites that the Law 'would not be too difficult for them.' (Deuteronomy 30:11) As long as they faithfully observed God's commandments, including tithing, they had his promise of abundant harvests. And as a protection, an additional yearly tithe, normally consumed when the nation met for its religious festivities, was regularly set aside. Thus 'the alien resident, the fatherless boy, and the widow' could be satisfied.—Deuteronomy 14:28, 29; 28:1, 2, 11-14.

The Law did not specify a penalty for failing to tithe, but each Israelite was under a strong moral obligation to support true worship in this way. In fact, God accused Israelites who neglected tithing in Malachi's day of 'robbing him in tithes and offerings.' (Malachi 3:8, New International Version) Could the same charge be leveled at Christians who do not tithe?
Well, consider. National laws are not normally valid outside a country's borders. For example, the law that obliges motorists in Britain to drive on the left does not apply to drivers in France. Similarly, the law requiring tithing was part of an exclusive covenant between God and the nation of Israel. (Exodus 19:3-8; Psalm 147:19, 20) Only the Israelites were bound by that law.
In addition, although it is true that God never changes, his requirements sometimes do. (Malachi 3:6) The Bible states categorically that the sacrificial death of Jesus, in 33 C.E., "blotted out," or "abolished," the Law and with it the "commandment to collect tithes."—Colossians 2:13, 14; Ephesians 2:13-15; Hebrews 7:5, 18.

Christian Giving

However, contributions to support true worship were still needed. Jesus had commissioned his disciples 'to be witnesses to the most distant part of the earth.' (Acts 1:cool As the number of believers grew, so did the need for Christian teachers and overseers to visit and strengthen the congregations. Widows, orphans, and other needy ones had to be cared for at times. How did the first-century Christians cover the costs involved?

About 55 C.E., an appeal went out to Gentile Christians in Europe and Asia Minor in behalf of the impoverished congregation in Judea. In his letters to the congregation in Corinth, the apostle Paul describes how this 'collection for the holy ones' was organized. (1 Corinthians 16:1) You may be surprised at what Paul's words reveal about Christian giving.
The apostle Paul did not cajole fellow believers to give. In fact, Macedonian Christians who were "under affliction" and in "deep poverty" had to 'keep begging him with much entreaty for the privilege of kindly giving and for a share in the ministry destined for the holy ones.'—2 Corinthians 8:1-4.

True, Paul encouraged the more affluent Corinthians to imitate their generous brothers in Macedonia. Even so, observes one reference work, he 'declined to issue directives, preferring rather to request, suggest, encourage, or appeal. Spontaneity and warmth would be absent from the Corinthians' giving if coercion were present.' Paul knew that "God loves a cheerful giver," not one who gives "grudgingly or under compulsion."—2 Corinthians 9:7.

Abundant faith and knowledge together with genuine love for fellow Christians would have impelled the Corinthians to give spontaneously.—2 Corinthians 8:7, 8.

'As He Has Resolved in His Own Heart'

Rather than specifying an amount or a percentage, Paul merely suggested that "on the first day of every week, each one . . . should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income." (Italics ours; 1 Corinthians 16:2, NIV) By planning and reserving an amount on a regular basis, the Corinthians would not feel pressured into giving begrudgingly or on emotional impulse when Paul arrived. For each Christian, the decision of how much to give was to be a private matter, one that 'he had resolved in his own heart.'—2 Corinthians 9:5, 7.

In order to reap generously, the Corinthians had to sow generously. No suggestion of giving until it hurts was ever made. 'I do not mean for it to be hard on you,' Paul assured them. Contributions were 'especially acceptable according to what a person had, not according to what a person did not have.' (2 Corinthians 8:12, 13; 9:6) In a later letter, the apostle warned: "If anyone does not provide for those . . . who are members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith." (1 Timothy 5:cool Paul did not encourage giving that violated this principle.

It is significant that Paul supervised a 'collection for the holy ones' who were in need. We do not read in the Scriptures about Paul or the other apostles organizing collections or receiving tithes to finance their own ministries. (Acts 3:6) Always grateful to receive the gifts that the congregations sent him, Paul conscientiously avoided imposing "an expensive burden" on his brothers.—1 Thessalonians 2:9; Philippians 4:15-18.

Voluntary Giving Today

Clearly, during the first century, followers of Christ practiced voluntary giving, not tithing. However, you may wonder if this is still an effective way to finance the preaching of the good news and to care for Christians who are in need.

well said,it must be stated that even when tithe was still valid it was restricted to agricultural products never involved money,neither was nnever paid weekly,monthly or daily

Today most manner of preachers have twisted the scriptures to include in in christianity ,they have even gone ahead to include money and increased the frequency  to monthly weekly or even daily.They have not stopped at that bthey have even gone ahead to include even gifts.

as you earlier quoted christian giving were carefully sumarised in 2 cor 9:7 where the brethren were admonished not to give out of pressure but rather as one purposes in his heart since God loves a cheerful giver.

The best proof of the invalidity of tithing is that the Apostles themselves never practised it as christians as st paul clearly fended for himself as described in 1 thes 3;7-10
tensor777:

@dwonder

I don't know what you are really on about here but abolition of the sabbath rules and the requirement to make blood sacrifices in no way invalidates the other commandments and rules stated in the old testament.

Tithing was part of the abolished jewish law,why don't quote a bible passage to support where christians (not jews) practised tithing ,you can also cite a bible passage to support monetary or mont
tensor777:

Actually it is the law of God that every bible believing Christian should pay tithes which is 1/10 of income.
Check Malachi 3: 8-10. It is non-negotiable.
In addition a Christian is expected to make voluntary payments called offerings to his or her Church.
hly tithing

malachi chapter one also talked about animal sacrifices ,are we also required to offer animal sacrifices?
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 19, 2009
Actually with the sacrificial death of Jesus on the cross and the consequent abolition of the Levitical priesthood there is no need for any Christian to make animal sacrifices.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Aug 19, 2009
@tonye-t

tonye-t:

Oh my God, so Chukwudi your knowledge of God(titheing to be more precised) is simply based on what KunleOshod and co. says about it,Oh! what a pity.

Now i know why you dont even have proof to any biblical issues, but rather tend to mudsling each time a truth is told to you, and you idea of exhuming saints of the catholic church even makes your posts all the more pathetic

Sorry o! its a pity grin grin

most of what you know are what you gredy pastors told you that is if you are not one of them as it cleearly appears to me you are.

yes the incorrupt body proved the existence of God

Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Aug 19, 2009
tensor777:

Actually with the sacrificial death of Jesus on the cross and the consequent abolition of the Levitical priesthood there is no need for any Christian to make animal sacrifices.

so in essence the death of Jesus abolished other jewish laws leaving only tithing?

This is what I call doctrine of demons .

Did the death of Jesus also change the tithe from agricultural products to money?

Did it increase the frequency of tithing from annually or once in three years as stated in deut 14:22-29 to weekly,daily or monthly.?

This tithe herey is a creation of the devil to destroy the true fom of christianity ,it has brought so much corruption to the faith,all hand must be on deck to see that this dangerous heresy ,the worst since the suuprression of the arian heresy is stamped out
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Aug 19, 2009
Clearly you have to take the word of God as it is. You are of course not obliged to pay tithes if you are not a Christian.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Theblessed(f): 5:07pm On Aug 19, 2009
tensor777:

Actually with the death of Jesus on the cross and the consequent abolition of the Levitical priesthood there is no need for any Christian to make animal sacrifices.

But that was not the question, is it? He needs advise/answers to his tithing situation and not the above.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Aug 19, 2009
The "word of God" you are refering to is obviously the words of your pastor as the word of God clearly tells me that as a christian I am no longer under the jewish law including tithing.

Why dont you use your "word of God" to biblically show me how I can tithe with money or where I can tithe weekly,daily or monthly.

You can also use your "word of God" to show me where christians(not jews) paid tithes or where asked to pay tithes ?

This tithe heresy is a doctrine from the very pit of hell.

They early nver practised tithing it is clearly recorded that the christians freely old their possessions and laid it at the apostles feet .Even at that they did not even use it for their own benefits but shared it to the church membvers as everyone had need.

st paul went further to admonish the thesalonians to fend for themselves as he himself has done.

It is clear from the scriptures and other early christian writings that tithing was never practised by the early church.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Theblessed(f): 5:29pm On Aug 19, 2009
God is a SPIRIT and his presence is everywhere therefore, tithing can be done in any church as long as they preach in the name of Jesus Christ the only Son of God, you won't go wrong. It does not necessarily have to be in your local church. It is supposed to be use for promoting God's work but these days GREED has consumed Churches/Ministries and people are not happy and am sure God is not, either.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Aug 19, 2009
Theblessed:

But that was not the question, is it? He needs advise/answers to his tithing situation and not the above.

Actually that post was in answer to one of Chukwudi's questions.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by dwonder(m): 5:40pm On Aug 19, 2009
We are always passionate about issues especially the ones where we  have our own views mapped out, Wish we can be half passionate about keeping the most important of all laws in the bible.

This is the law we all fail to keep, Jesus emphasized this while on earth, I don't have anything against the man that wants to pay his tithe neither do I look at the man that doesn't as a sinner however do either of this people trully trully love GOD!!!!

Pay 90% of your earnings as tithe without obeying this law then you are worst than the man that doesn't pay.

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'[b] 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Jesus throughout his life never placed any emphasis on any part of the mosaic law except the ones that talk about LOVE and treating one's neighbour in fairness.  Rather than be excessively concerned about paying your tithe or not there is plenty of reason for all of us to increase our LOVE for our fellow humans.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Aug 19, 2009
dwonder:

We are always passionate about issues especially the ones where we  have our own views mapped out, Wish we can be half passionate about keeping the most important of all laws in the bible.

This is the law we all fail to keep, Jesus emphasized this while on earth, I don't have anything against the man that wants to pay his tithe neither do I look at the man that doesn't as a sinner however do either of this people trully trully love GOD!!!!
Pay 90% of your earnings as tithe without obeying this law then you are worst than the man that doesn't pay.

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'[b] 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Jesus throughout his life never placed any emphasis on any part of the mosaic law except the ones that talk about LOVE and treating one's neighbour in fairness.  Rather than be excessively concerned about paying your tithe or not there is plenty of reason for all of us to increase our LOVE for our fellow humans.

To be honest it does not matter what you or anybody thinks or feels about the law of tithes. The fact is that according to the word of God it is mandatory.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Theblessed(f): 5:52pm On Aug 19, 2009
tensor777:

Actually that post was in answer to one of Chukwudi's questions.
Ok, pardon me o o!!!!! smiley smiley smiley I did not know what transpired earlier, just following what's on screen in front of me.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by dwonder(m): 6:01pm On Aug 19, 2009
tensor777:

To be honest it does not matter what you or anybody thinks or feels about the law of tithes. The fact is that according to the word of God it is mandatory.
QUESTION?

Can a man be pardoned by GOD for not paying tithe? Pls give reason for your answer?

Can GOD forgive a sinner for not loving him or his neighbour?

Is it an unforgivable sin?

Must it be your church Pastor that must receive it?

What actually qualifies any pastor or anyone for that matter to receive the tithe?

What or who determines what such money or whatever received as tithe should be used for.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by ogajim(m): 8:26pm On Aug 19, 2009
WOW, Not again!

You can't win with these "robots" who have been programmed/indoctrinated/tricked into giving a percentage, your heart and Love for every one of his creation are the greatest gifts you can ever give God.

Freewill giving means you can help the poor/widows/orphans that you come across be they Christians or not, of course your "pastor" will want the whole pie but you are not serving some pastor are you?
Check out this old reggae song, good stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ligxTfLDXnI

Shalom.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Kennyyo: 9:45am On Aug 20, 2009
God has never forced anybody into obeying him. He gives His laws and gives you your choices. However, He also promised reward for obedience and punishment for disobedience. Whether you pay or not is left to you.

Even though there are not new testament teachings about Tithing, Christ’s words in Luke 11:42 which states that: “But woe unto you Pharisees! For ye tithe mint and rue all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done and not to leave the other undone” is clear enough- You are to pay your tithe

I also don’t think we should worry ourselves about how the tithe is spent. Your responsibility stops at the giving; God has not appointed us to oversee the spending. But judgment awaits pastors who use tithes to sponsor their profligate lifestyles.

As to whether you can split payment, I believe you can but you don’t necessarily have to- You are paying to God and not to any man.

And to claim Old Testament scriptures about tithe did not involve money is to be parochial in the bid to justify ourselves. The society then was basically an agrarian society and tithe was to be from their productivity. So how do we measure productivity in our age? I think we should stop claiming Old Testament blessings since they don’t involve money- at least God never promised to give you MONEY!! He is either blessing the fruits of your field or your flock
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by nairaner(m): 10:17am On Aug 20, 2009
OK Guys!!! Lets end this discussion with the quoted verses from the bible and use our own discretion to decide if to pay or not to pay OR where/how to pay.

As for me i am for it and going by these verses, it ought to be done and should given to the house of God (not ONE church)

Taking time to read through this will prevent blind arguments on this thread  smiley

•  Matthew 23:23 .
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

•  Luke 11:42 .
But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

•  Luke 18:12 .
I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

•  Hebrews 7:5 .
And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

•  Hebrews 7:6 .
But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.
•  Hebrews 7:8 .

And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

•  Hebrews 7:9 .
And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham

•  Genesis 14:20 .
And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

•  Leviticus 27:30 .
And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD's: it is holy unto the LORD.

•  Leviticus 27:31 .
And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof.

•  Leviticus 27:32 .
And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD.

•  Numbers 18:24 .
But the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offer as an heave offering unto the LORD, I have given to the Levites to inherit: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance.

•  Numbers 18:26 .
Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the LORD, even a tenth part of the tithe.

•  Numbers 18:28 .
Thus ye also shall offer an heave offering unto the LORD of all your tithes, which ye receive of the children of Israel; and ye shall give thereof the LORD'S heave offering to Aaron the priest.

•  Deuteronomy 12:6 .
And thither ye shall bring your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, and your tithes, and heave offerings of your hand, and your vows, and your freewill offerings, and the firstlings of your herds and of your flocks:

•  Deuteronomy 12:11 .
Then there shall be a place which the LORD your God shall choose to cause his name to dwell there; thither shall ye bring all that I command you; your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, your tithes, and the heave offering of your hand, and all your choice vows which ye vow unto the LORD:

•  Deuteronomy 12:17 .
Thou mayest not eat within thy gates the tithe of thy corn, or of thy wine, or of thy oil, or the firstlings of thy herds or of thy flock, nor any of thy vows which thou vowest, nor thy freewill offerings, or heave offering of thine hand:

•  Deuteronomy 14:22 .
Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.

•  Deuteronomy 14:23 .
And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.

•  Deuteronomy 14:28 .
At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:

•  Deuteronomy 26:12 .
When thou hast made an end of tithing all the tithes of thine increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and hast given it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be filled;

•  2 Chronicles 31:5 .
And as soon as the commandment came abroad, the children of Israel brought in abundance the firstfruits of corn, wine, and oil, and honey, and of all the increase of the field; and the tithe of all things brought they in abundantly.

•  2 Chronicles 31:6 .
And concerning the children of Israel and Judah, that dwelt in the cities of Judah, they also brought in the tithe of oxen and sheep, and the tithe of holy things which were consecrated unto the LORD their God, and laid them by heaps.

•  2 Chronicles 31:12 .
And brought in the offerings and the tithes and the dedicated things faithfully: over which Cononiah the Levite was ruler, and Shimei his brother was the next.

•  Nehemiah 10:37 .
And that we should bring the firstfruits of our dough, and our offerings, and the fruit of all manner of trees, of wine and of oil, unto the priests, to the chambers of the house of our God; and the tithes of our ground unto the Levites, that the same Levites might have the tithes in all the cities of our tillage.

•  Nehemiah 10:38 .
And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites take tithes: and the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the chambers, into the treasure house.

•  Nehemiah 12:44 .
And at that time were some appointed over the chambers for the treasures, for the offerings, for the firstfruits, and for the tithes, to gather into them out of the fields of the cities the portions of the law for the priests and Levites: for Judah rejoiced for the priests and for the Levites that waited.

•  Nehemiah 13:5 .
And he had prepared for him a great chamber, where aforetime they laid the meat offerings, the frankincense, and the vessels, and the tithes of the corn, the new wine, and the oil, which was commanded to be given to the Levites, and the singers, and the porters; and the offerings of the priests.

•  Nehemiah 13:12
Then brought all Judah the tithe of the corn and the new wine and the oil unto the treasuries.

•  Amos 4:4
Come to Bethel, and transgress; at Gilgal multiply transgression; and bring your sacrifices every morning, and your tithes after three years:

•  Malachi 3:8 .
Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

•  Malachi 3:10 .
Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Nobody: 10:32am On Aug 20, 2009
Kennyyo:

God has never forced anybody into obeying him. He gives His laws and gives you your choices. However, He also promised reward for obedience and punishment for disobedience. Whether you pay or not is left to you.

Even though there are not new testament teachings about Tithing, Christ’s words in Luke 11:42 which states that: “But woe unto you Pharisees! For ye tithe mint and rue all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done and not to leave the other undone” is clear enough- You are to pay your tithe.

I also don’t think we should worry ourselves about how the tithe is spent. Your responsibility stops at the giving; God has not appointed us to oversee the spending. But judgment awaits pastors who use tithes to sponsor their profligate lifestyles.

As to whether you can split payment, I believe you can but you don’t necessarily have to- You are paying to God and not to any man.

And to claim Old Testament scriptures about tithe did not involve money is to be parochial in the bid to justify ourselves. The society then was basically an agrarian society and tithe was to be from their productivity. So how do we measure productivity in our age? I think we should stop claiming Old Testament blessings since they don’t involve money- at least God never promised to give you MONEY!! He is either blessing the fruits of your field or your flock

Why don't you show me from the scriptures where christians practised tithing after the death and ressurrection of Jesus.

In luke 2 23-24

The law of the Lord says If a woman first child is a boy ,he must be dedicated to the Lord.So they offered a sacrifice according to what was required in the law of the Lord-"either a pair of turtle doves or two young pigeons"

Are you saying we should also continue with this practise ?

It most to be stated that while jesus spoke in luke 43,the law was still valid and so was tithing and burnt offerings.

All this changed with the death and ressurrection of Jesus by his death he abolished the jewish law(heb 7:18,ephe 2:14-15).

It m,ust be statyed that even while tithing was valid it never involved money,neither was it paid weekly,monthly or daily.

iN DEUT 14:22-29

You must set aside a tithe-one tenth of all the crops you harvest each year.bring this tithe to the place the lord your God choses for his name to be honoured and eat it there in his presence.
This applies to the tithes of your grain,new wine,olive oil and firstborn males of your flocks and herds.The purpose of tithing is to teach you always to fear the lord your God.
Now the place the lord your God choses for his name to be honoured might be a long way from home.If so you may sell a tithe portion of you crops and herds and take the money to the place the lord choses for his name to be honoured.When you arrive  use the money to buy anything you want -an ox,a sheep,some wine or beer.Then feast there in the presence of the lord your God and celebrate with your household.And do not forget the levites in your community for they have no inheritance as you do.

At end of every third year bring the titheof all your crops and store it in the nearest town  give it to the levites who have no inheritance among you  as well as the foreigners living among you,the orphans and the widows in your towns so they can eat and be satisfied.

There is no where it was stated that money was to be involved,neither was it to be paid weekly,monthly or daily.

It was simply meant to be paid annually and once in three years

In matt 23:23

Jesus cleary stated that tithing was part of the now obsolete jewish law and even then ,it was not even among then weightier matters of the law

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." (Matthew 23:23

The law has been abolished as the scriptures plainly tells us tithing has gone with the law ,continuing with tithing means that you have cut yourself off from the grace of christ as stated in Galatians 5:4
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Nobody: 11:02am On Aug 20, 2009
The frequency of tithes were clearly stated (while it was still valid) as once every three years.

• Deuteronomy 14:28 .
At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:

• Deuteronomy 26:12 .
When thou hast made an end of tithing all the tithes of thine increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and hast given it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be filled;

• Amos 4:4
Come to Bethel, and transgress; at Gilgal multiply transgression; and bring your sacrifices every morning, and your tithes after three years:

Today even after it had been abolished ,all maner of criminals has increased the frequency to monthly ,weekly or even daily.They have even gone ahead to include money.

May God not judge us according to our sins
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Kennyyo: 12:03pm On Aug 20, 2009
@Chuwudi44:

Please note that Jesus did not come to abolish the law, but to fulfil it.

Payment of Tithe has been before the law was given (Gen: 14.20). Abraham did it while there was no law and we can also follow his example to pay now that there is no law.

We should let the scripture interpret itself. To pick one isolated verse to suit our mindset is to be parochial.

I still want to say that tithe is about our productivity which was basically crop produce and animals then. What God asked for in the first year was the first fruit and its only to be paid once and whenever there is an increase and not yearly as some ministers preach (Thats another critical issue). Tithes is to be paid afterwards.

Paying of tithes monthly makes it easier for us to be faithful since most of us do not keep records of our finincials. I am sure you dont get paid once in a year, so the best way to be accountable is to pay monthly, at least we all clamour for "pay as you go" services.
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by juicyspill: 12:47pm On Aug 20, 2009
Let me rephrase d question and put it in a clearer context. I believe my tithe should go to where i receive spiritual food. My question now is: While in Nigeria i have a local church i get my spiritual nourishment from. Now am abroad, i have identified with a local church there but i wont really say am receiving much of spiritual nourishment from there (because i still miss my Nigerian church) but i guess i do. Besides, i also have an online website (www.ucb.co.uk) where i get daily words (daily devotional) that really serve as spiritual food to me on a daily basis.

Now, as i earn money and make income, how and where do i pay my tithe to? My nigerian church, the local church i now attend, or the online daily devotional website?
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Nobody: 1:16pm On Aug 20, 2009
Kennyyo:

@Chuwudi44:

Please note that Jesus did not come to abolish the law, but to fulfil it.

Payment of Tithe has been before the law was given (Gen: 14.20). Abraham did it while there was no law and we can also follow his example to pay now that there is no law.

We should let the scripture interpret itself. To pick one isolated verse to suit our mindset is to be parochial.

I still want to say that tithe is about our productivity which was basically crop produce and animals then. What God asked for in the first year was the first fruit and its only to be paid once and whenever there is an increase and not yearly as some ministers preach (Thats another critical issue). Tithes is to be paid afterwards.

Paying of tithes monthly makes it easier for us to be faithful since most of us do not keep records of our finincials. I am sure you dont get paid once in a year, so the best way to be accountable is to pay monthly, at least we all clamour for "pay as you go" services.

If Jesus did not abolish he law why don't you continue with the other non-lucrative portions of the law.

Tithing was not the only portion oif the law that preceded moses Burnt offerings and circumcision also did. why dont you continue offering burnt offering?

Even the circumcision thhat St paul vehemently condenmed in galatians also preceded moses yet Paul included it among the law.Even though most men today are circumcised it has no religious undertone as it only pertains to medical reasons.

even if I were to assume that tithe was still valid ,how come the frequency of paying tithe was increased from once in three years to now monthly,weekly or daily

You may wish to use bible passage to explain this .Also explain how come money is now beign used since the law restricted tithing to agricultural products.

St paul gave a grave warning in gal 5:4 for those who continue to live by the jewish law
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:53pm On Aug 20, 2009
tensor777:

Clearly you have to take the word of God as it is. You are of course not obliged to pay tithes if you are not a Christian.

This is a fact.  Unbelievers are not obliged to give tithes to God because it will not be acceptable. what God demands from a wicked man is to repent and believe the gospel and only after this should he begin to obey God's command. "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness."

"The sacrifice of the wicked is abomination: how much more, when he brings it with a wicked mind?" -- Prov. 21:27
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Nobody: 3:18pm On Aug 20, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

This is a fact. Unbelievers are not obliged to give tithes to God because it will not be acceptable, what God demands from a wicked man is to repent and only after this should he begin to obey God's command.

"The sacrifice of the wicked is abomination: how much more, when he brings it with a wicked mind?" -- Prov. 21:27

Please could anyone show me anywhere in the bible where christians paid tithes

Also please provide answers to my questions as pertaining to frequency and monetary tithing

Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Aug 20, 2009
@Oladegbu

The Apostles and other early christians who did not practise tithing are unbeleivers abi
Re: Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Aug 20, 2009
We know from the scriptures (det 14:28,deut 26:12,amos 4:4) that jews were required to pay tithes of agricultural products every three years to the levites ,where in the Bible are christians directed to pay tithes weekly ,daily or monthly as practised in today's christianity?

Where in the Bible was it instructed that Agruicultural products could be substiituted with money?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Threatens To Quit Daystar Church Over Top Member's Support For Gay Rights / Alert: Satan Has Poured Out Spirit Of Witchcraft, Heavily. Step Up Your Prayer / Mbaka Blasts Ekweremadu: Says He's Suffering Political 'Quary Gada Quary Gada'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.