Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,852 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:40 PM

NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. (23869 Views)

APC Is A Failure, Has Lily-Livered, Weak Leadership; IPOB Must Be Curbed - Sagay / APC Is A Bullying Party, Says Atiku / Fadeyi: Violence Breaks Out In Lagos Over NLC Strike (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by DropShot: 2:29pm On May 18, 2016
OLADD:

Firstly, I am not a wailer but a concerned Nigerian who's after a prosperous, egalitarian, unpolarized, progressive and peaceful nation.

Secondly, yes it's true NLC was fractionalized before the advent of Buhari's administration but the last govt did not officialize or magnify the divisions. By negotiating with two factions of the same union, APC has proved to the world that they can even dine with Satan just to have their way. That's satanism at its peak.
Sorry bro, but you're not making sense at all.

Are there two factions of NLC? Yes.
Why must the govt recognize an unsupportive one over a cooperating one?

The more divided the Labour Union is, the better for the govt and employers.

It's same with student unionism. The more divided they are the better for the university management. And it's wrong for anyone to blame the govt for the Union's inability to mend fence.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by hotdi(m): 2:30pm On May 18, 2016
BRAV0O:
thank u much

APC = Tyranny alert

if Nigeria should let this fly then APC Administration will never be checkmate ! wake up Nigerians!

It is not just about APC it is pressing for what u want. Remember that JONATHAN PDP-led administration also went to court to stop labour strike during 2012 subsidy removal. The court order is a delay tactics, buying time to engage d NLC in order to get common ground.

Nigerians we are so sentimental grin

"I just want to make common sense"

1 Like

Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by OLADD: 2:31pm On May 18, 2016
hotdi:

Ayuba Waba is the duely elected and recognized NLC President. So Government representative at his parade is the right thing.
I don't know what d FG should have done in ur opinion. should d FG send representative to d other faction too? that would have amount to causing division.
Ask questions from relevant sources before u initiate sentimental post online.

"I just want to make common sense" grin

If Govt only recognised Wabba faction at inception why did they choose to negotiate with the other faction at this point in time?

1 Like

Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by OLADD: 2:35pm On May 18, 2016
nonjebose:
I think your epistle should be directed to labour unions. If they failed to get their acts together and close ranks for a common front, then too bad. Any attempt for govt to intervene in labour would surely be seen as meddlesomeness, with different theories flying around on a hidden agenda

Are you suggesting govt should take advantage of division in the union to exploit the masses?
Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by Johnsinia(m): 2:36pm On May 18, 2016
AZeD1:

Your post is about NLC and not Nigeria. I am a Nigerian and I don't give a flying hoot about NLC. I also know plenty people like me.
common r u kidding? We knw ofcourse there r plenty zombies is u
Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by cyprex: 2:40pm On May 18, 2016
The Op just made an inglorious attempt to mislead the generally gullible populace.
It is rather preposterous to raise a 'conspiracy theory' against the government over the inability of labour leaders to work together.
In this attempt, the OP created illusions, concocted half truth and fabricated outright falsehood in-order to smear the Buhari led administration.

@OP, kindly note that the Govt. did not choose which faction to meet with but invited all labour leaders. The Wabba led NLC staged a work out volutarily

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by abbey621(m): 2:40pm On May 18, 2016
I don't understand how some of you think, is it the job of government to unite labor unions? Speaking of workers, we all know NLC is a toothless bulldog that has lost its relevancy since the departure of Oshiomole. Government will speak to any faction that seems to get more support from the masses, whether it's Ajero or not. It is not the government's duties to play counselor and/or therapists!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by hotdi(m): 2:40pm On May 18, 2016
OLADD:

Is your problem centred around inability to comprehend simple fact or sheer cynicism? How many times would I say the govt should eschew divisiveness? Is it a crime if the warring factions are brought to round table for the sake of peace in the labour force? I am tired of you.

Bros. government should have no hand in labour matters. NLC should be capable of resolve their differences.
For ur information when NLC have problems, government should be happy, because everywhere in the world labour force always give government sleepless night through tackling their policies to suit its interest.

"I just want to make common sense"

1 Like

Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by OLADD: 2:41pm On May 18, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

Was Buhari there when the NLC election held? You should advise NLC to drop their differences, not blaming Buhari.

Agreed Buhari was not there when they held the election, must he further polarise the union by negotiating with warring factions?
Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by hotdi(m): 2:43pm On May 18, 2016
OLADD:

If Govt only recognised Wabba faction at inception why did they choose to negotiate with the other faction at this point in time?

Because government is pursuing its interest. NLC gave them the loop-hole.
Do u think FG should fold its alms?
Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by Lusola15: 2:44pm On May 18, 2016
The government don't care if labour breaks into 200 fractions its in their own best interest
Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:46pm On May 18, 2016
OLADD:

Agreed Buhari was not there when they held the election, must he further polarise the union by negotiating with warring factions?
The group was polarised from the beginning. They're supposed to close ranks to fight.

1 Like

Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by Hengineer: 2:48pm On May 18, 2016
OLADD:
If there's anybody out there who is not completely convinced about the divisive nature of Buhari's administration, such a person needs to take a cursory look at how the presidency has jettisoned all decency by negotiating with two feuding factions of the NLC in the ongoing fuel hike faceoff. For the reason best known to them, the APC government in its 11 months reign in power has not deemed it necessary to unite the labour unions, instead it has been embarking on actions that further polarize the body. Ironically, during the last May Day Parade, the same Federal Govt completely shut out the Ajero faction of the NLC but sent representations to the Wabba led parade. This clearly underscores how divisive Buhari's govt is. The implication of this is that this adminstration is poised to leave Nigeria more divided than it met it. If the pendulum swings tomorrow and the Ajero faction suddenly becomes antagonistic, where will the govt run to? It's a dangerous game.
Are you actually blaming the government for the split in the Labour Union?.... This is almost like blaming an APC government for an internal crisis in PDP and complaining that the FG isn't trying to unite PDP factions. Wonderful!

3 Likes

Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by nonjebose(m): 2:50pm On May 18, 2016
OLADD:

Are you suggesting govt should take advantage of division in the union to exploit the masses?
'exploit' the masses! Any govt would take advantage of divisions to implement it's policy

1 Like

Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by Johnsinia(m): 2:50pm On May 18, 2016
UmuEri:
thank you for that question, what is going on is that the FG has also deploy the instrument of media and propaganda.

The strikes are very much alive my brother. As i am talking to you, all the schools in Asaba Delta State are closed down including most private school.

The reason is because the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) is part of the Ayuba Waba led NLC.

And offcours, you know ASUU has also declared total strike, and all the universities has been deserted.
mysz bro, thanks for all ds informatns, its seems u knw much abt Nig politics. Pls, I will wnt u to be updating us with pure info concerning ds strike and the deciept and dictatorshp of ds mistake (APC) on a fresh thread. Once again tanks.
Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by iswallker(m): 2:52pm On May 18, 2016
an inept government with an aging leader....i saw buhari on cnn, and he has to wait and process a question before he responds...can we place our future and those of our children in thier hands. the answer is NO. think out of the box and gain financial independence.... grin

10 Steps to achieve financial independence
1. Invest in Longrich International, china
2. Entry levels include silver 65k; gold 110k; platinum 280k; vip 580k
3. Make payment to the nearest stockist/distributor
4. You immediately get your money’s worth of products
5. You can either use or sell the products; selling products is not our priority.
6. The focus is to get three people to register under you, called your legs
7. Each of your legs will in turn get three people to register.
8. This way, we can grow our placement tree to infinity.
9.Bonuses available to you and I include sponsorship bonus, placement bonus, performance bonus, retail/repeat order bonus, leadership bonus and so many other incentives like house, overseas travel and car.
10. A group support system is available to help you achieve your dreams
Contact me for more details - 08033665497
Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by ybilad(m): 2:52pm On May 18, 2016
NLC failed to address issues below

1 Contract Staffing everywhere
2 Retrenchment everywhere
3 Civil Servants' salaries
4 Factory workers working hours
5 Labour law in the country
6 Unemployment full ground

Ok Edo state Governor used platform of NLC in the struggle of poor mass gained reputation and enriched his pocket. Hit me harder..................

Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by Akainzo(m): 2:53pm On May 18, 2016
UmuEri:
NLC is not divided, Ayuba controls 33 out of 35 affiliate unions, leaving just only 2 for Ajero supposed faction.

Note, that was why the Ayuba led NLC worked out of the meeting with the FG on Tuesday immediately the SGF recognised and called Ayuba a factional leader.

This got Ayuba infuriated, and he immediately stood up and worked-out of the meeting. As he stood up, all his colleagues stood and followed him immediately.

The meeting did not hold because the FG wanted to further polarize NLC, and Ayuba understood that and staged a Work-out.

Note, i was there Live.

Bros this is at variance with the reason NLC adduced for walking out, or are you now making up other reasons for NLC? See the NLC version below:

Nnadigoodluck:

A last minute meeting between the federal government and Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, on Tuesday night to attempt to avert a nationwide strike over increased petrol price, collapsed mid-way as representatives of the organised labour staged a walkout on government representatives.
The NLC says the talks broke down because the government refused to even consider its demand for a reversal of the price hike, and an earlier increase in electricity tariffs.
The meeting, called by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, Babachir Lawal, was attended by the president of NLC, Aliyu Wabba, who led representatives of affiliate groups including Trade Union Congress, TUC, and civil society organisations.
PREMIUM TIMES learnt that the meeting was barely an hour into its agenda when the labour leaders decided to stage a walkout after what they called the “refusal of government to accede to their demands”.
The General Secretary of the NLC, Peter Ozo-Eson, who spoke with PREMIUM TIMES on phone shortly after leaving the venue of the meeting, said members could not continue to put up with the government’s unbending attitude towards their demands.
“The talks with government broke down because it was not ready to address the issues the NLC placed on the table for discussion; so we left,” Mr. Ozo-Eson said.
“The demands the NLC and its affiliates made formally in writing on Saturday were that government should first revert to the fuel price of N86.50 per litre before any other decision.
“Again, we demanded that the electricity tariff imposed on the people last January should also be reversed. But, government said they were not ready to discuss such things.
“They said they wanted to discuss minimum wage and palliatives. But, those were not issues we were ready to start any discussion with,” he said.
Mr. Ozo-Eson said labour was not interested in listening to what offers government was going to make in respect of the two issues it offered to talk about, saying their interest was a complete reversal of the fuel price and electricity tariff.
He said the government could not be talking about minimum wage first when most Nigerians are not even working and are being tasked further financially and economically by the hike in fuel price and increased electricity tariff.

Source- http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/203609-nationwide-strike-walked-meeting-nigerian-govt-nlc.html/
Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by Sirdayor(m): 2:56pm On May 18, 2016
OLADD:
If there's anybody out there who is not completely convinced about the divisive nature of Buhari's administration, such a person needs to take a cursory look at how the presidency has jettisoned all decency by negotiating with two feuding factions of the NLC in the ongoing fuel hike faceoff. For the reason best known to them, the APC government in its 11 months reign in power has not deemed it necessary to unite the labour unions, instead it has been embarking on actions that further polarize the body. Ironically, during the last May Day Parade, the same Federal Govt completely shut out the Ajero faction of the NLC but sent representations to the Wabba led parade. This clearly underscores how divisive Buhari's govt is. The implication of this is that this adminstration is poised to leave Nigeria more divided than it met it. If the pendulum swings tomorrow and the Ajero faction suddenly becomes antagonistic, where will the govt run to? It's a dangerous game.

If you are Nigeria government, what will you do?Its only a bad manager that will not use the feud among the labour union to his or her advanyage. That's how to operate in a competition! I will advice you to read a management book titled "Art of war" by Sun Tzu.

1 Like

Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by KayTobi: 2:56pm On May 18, 2016
The Labour union have allowed their ranks to be infiltrated by politicians thereby causing friction and factions. The Government of the day will enjoy this and use the friction to sell its agenda but the masses and workers will be the most hit either good or bad. For instance, the increase in electricity tariff receives no known condemnation or the continuous delay in workers salary in some states to 6Months from the Labour Unions, so why now the strike?

1 Like

Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by Miraxzeebility(m): 3:01pm On May 18, 2016
Topleague:
is it government business for labour to close rank, wise up man or why is it paining you like this?
see this Mallam dey speak English..
Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by DesChyko: 3:07pm On May 18, 2016
The wiser thing the FG would have done was to go public with the fact that NLC's division was detrimental to the proceedings if that isn't a lie. But I won't put it beyond them to actually court both parties independently. This government has not been exactly expert in their dealings
Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by COMPUTERVILLA(m): 3:18pm On May 18, 2016
AZeD1:
Government and labour are never friends and it is to the benefit of the government if labour is divided.

When it's to government benefit and we stay and watch NLC divide, what becomes of Nigerians when FG eventually begins to chew us raw? There would be no voice for us and then we. Won't call this a democratic regime anymore.

Whatever our opinion is, let us support our one voice, because it's our only voice.

Am speaking from the future, I hope you will understand my point and let's support the strike.
Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by COMPUTERVILLA(m): 3:19pm On May 18, 2016
AZeD1:
Government and labour are never friends and it is to the benefit of the government if labour is divided.

When it's to government benefit and we stay and watch NLC divide, what becomes of Nigerians when FG eventually begins to chew us raw? There would be no voice for us and then we. Won't call this a democratic regime anymore.

Whatever our opinion is, let us support our one voice, because it's our only voice.

Am speaking from the future, I hope you will understand my point and let's support the strike
Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by semitunde: 3:21pm On May 18, 2016
OLADD:

Is your problem centred around inability to comprehend simple fact or sheer cynicism? How many times would I say the govt should eschew divisiveness? Is it a crime if the warring factions are brought to round table for the sake of peace in the labour force? I am tired of you.

Bro, you are being quite emotional about this instead of being rational.

If a group of people coming against me are split and fighting amongst themselves, it will be in my enlightened self interest to foster that polarity to advance myself. You might say its not fair (emotional) but seriously life (and those who take major decisions in it) ain't fair. This strategy is used in military circles as it is used in the religious ones.

The onus still.lies on NLC to either do away with their infighting and forge a common front, or whatever faction that deems itself dominant should show it via the peoples support. But therein lies the truth, that they don't ( either factions) have the people's support generally.

If Nigerians actually wanted a strike NLC will only be playing catch up on the activities. Occupy Nigeria 2012 wasn't started by NLC, they joined later and even took advantage of the situation to get money for themselves and undermine the process.

A huge percentage of Nigerians are not under NLC and the only reason why those ones supported NLC before was because they felt NLC was fighting for them; events have proved the selfish nature of many NLC reps. Trust in them has waned and that's the truth. Many of them are not workers anymore, they are politicians.

2 Likes

Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by guywitzerogal(m): 3:35pm On May 18, 2016
Topleague:
is it government business for labour to close rank, wise up man or why is it paining you like this?

Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by Nobody: 3:35pm On May 18, 2016
OLADD:

What is this one saying. Which government in the world would not be happy for Labour unions to be polarized? Makes it quicker to get your policies across while you eat pop corn and sip kunu as they fight themselves.

After you go say make FG unite PDP factions. Mtchewwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by Babateemd: 3:38pm On May 18, 2016
IT IS SO SAD THAT THE ALMIGHTY NLC IS LOSING IT THIS TIME. THIS MAY BE THE BEGINNING OF THE END!! WELL DEMOCRACY WILL STILL OVERCOME. NO MATTER WHAT!!
Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by OLADD: 3:41pm On May 18, 2016
tbaba1234:

It is not the president job to unite NLC..

But government can further polarise the Union to pave way for the actualisation of its own oppressive agenda by negotiating with two warring factions at the same time?
Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by willibounce1(m): 3:41pm On May 18, 2016
Why would a reasonable govt stop labour from protesting against an evil decision. The animals in govt get everything for free and they want the ordinary masses to continue suffer for them to enjoy. This is very annoying. I am surprised that people are supporting this evil. That 145 should be reduced to 90 or hundred.
Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by iykeany: 3:52pm On May 18, 2016
If the pendulum swings tomorrow and the Ajero faction suddenly becomes antagonistic, where will the govt run to? It's a dangerous game.

This makes it the second time, ever wondered why much wasn't achieved by labour in protest to the hike in electricity tarriff by government earlier in the year?
This government is adopting the divide and rule mechanism to water down the powers of NLC. I won't be surprised if much aren't achieved too now in this protest against fuel price hike. Though, it all started with the Obasanjo regime by recognising the TUC and polarizing workers based on cadre. It high time labour device other means to make govt assent to their demands other than strike action.
Re: NLC Strike: Apc Is Setting A Dangerous Precedence. by marlockj: 4:01pm On May 18, 2016
Please this minimum wage of a thing,is it only effective as only to the least you can get or does the increment effect does that are making money already in government? for xample a man that has already been in government let's say level 10 and he is was already collecting 200k,does it mean with the increment of minimum wage is salary will further be increased too?...if Yes let's say minimum wage is increased by 70% does it mean others who has been earning over minimum wage will be increased by that same %..

please I need clarification on this......I may not know too much,but with you guys knowledge together I will....

Please give me more light on this thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2019 Election: Why Buhari Will Conveniently Win – Oshiomhole / Rescued Dapchi Schoolgirls Arrive Presidential Villa Abuja(photos) / APC NWC Counters Adamu, Aligns With Northern Governors On Power Shift

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.