Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,216 members, 7,829,359 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:50 AM

Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? (6854 Views)

If It Was GEJ. / Was GEJ A Prophet To Have Made This Realistic Statement? / If U Knew Things Would Turn Out Like This, Would U Have Voted Out Gej? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by mikolo80: 12:11am On May 19, 2016
mekaboy:

Tribalistic:- He never came out to discriminate based on the percentage of voters or supporters like the 5%.

Incompetent : Maintaining inflation bellow 9% and unemployment takes alot of competence compared to 13.7% and rising.
Corrupt: - who isn't among them? Is buhari blind to the accusations against Amechi? It took corrupt funds to get him there.

he sideline south west.
he did not maintain anything. he was just lucky that oil did not crash during his time. he is definitely one of the luckiest men to walk the face of the earth.
chop alone die alone, amaechi shared his loot with voters
Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by Nobody: 1:37am On May 19, 2016
cktheluckyman:
Because he was from a minority tribe!!
was he nt from a minority tribe b4 we voted him in 2011?d truth is if he had performd wel we would hv stil voted him in 2015..jonathan hs no charisma n he is highly indecisive.4get d fact dat we found ourselves in dis circumstancis now..truth b told,parts of wat we ar suferin now stems from his administration..n i even tank God we voted buhari now f nt we n our generatns unborn would hv bn regretin d buhari's kind of leadership we neva had...now nobody can com n tel me poo abt how we needed d buharis type of leadership...
Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by Adminisher: 3:15am On May 19, 2016
We voted President Jonathan out for not being a President.
Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by PaulkillermanAg(m): 3:44am On May 19, 2016
Hengineer:
GEJ was removed primarily because of his total disregard for the prevailing corruption under his nose, he even made matters worse with his glaring support, public defense and his glorification of corruption; in simple words, GEJ legalised corruption and that's one of the biggest reasons why he was kicked out.

The trust factor is the reason why Nigerians kicked against subsidy removal in 2012; how can you say people (cabal) stole subsidy funds, yet while you showed absolutely no resolve to go after these people first, you turn around to punish Nigerians by removing subsidy and then you claim that it is the best way to punish the cabal that had already cornered $6.8bn?... Nigerians said a Capital No! to that because it was the most irresponsible excuse ever. Today the situation is clearly different, the reason for removing subsidy today is purely because the government is dead broke and on life-support, it's not because the government doesn't want to go after some of its 'friends.'

Regarding power, Nigeria had a power generating capacity of 5000mw under GEJ, but dont try to act like you have amnesia, the fluctuation from 5000-2000-1500-4000-3000 etc was also experienced under GEJ, and it was mainly due to the devilish 'cabal' who kept cutting gas supply to power stations to ensure our power problems were never fixed; I remember Prof Nebo referring to these cabals as witches and wizards and he vowed he would crush them (he never did). Unfortunately, it appears this cabal has intensified efforts now under Buhari by blowing up strategic gas pipelines leading to power stations every single time the pipelines are fixed. I believe it is now more politically motivated more than ever before.

Every other thing you mentioned, including the forex crises, value of the Naira, the cost of rice, the job losses, the inflation, the GDP growth etc are purely effects of global oil prices; without being sentimentally biased in your judgement, you would agree with me that things started nosediving as soon as oil prices began dropping, long before Buhari even won the election.

In summary, GEJ was a good man, but he was liverless, incompetent and just couldn't handle Nigeria's finances. That was how he squandered the massive goodwill he enjoyed from Nigerians in 2010-2012 and he also squandered the mega-oil income boom which Nigeria enjoyed under his reign. Today Buhari is obviously failing and if things continue like this, Buhari also will be booted out. I totally understand and appreciate the aspect of oil prices so I do not blame PMB for most of the economic woes which people blame him for; I only blame PMB for his rigid and very undiplomatic approach to leadership which has worsened some already existing problems like the militancy issue.

If you myopically think GEJ was removed because he was from a minority tribe and from the SS zone, kindly explain why he was loved unconditionally and voted by all in 2011?...

Only die-hard, emotionally blinded tribalists have failed to see the trend; in 2011 GEJ was loved by all and was voted by the SE+SS+SW+NC, he even received large chunks of votes (35-45%) from some locations in the NW and NE which were supposed to be strongholds of Buhari. But fastforward to 2015, there was a major reversal and only the SE & SS stuck with GEJ. It doesn't require more than common sense to realise the incompetence factor which led to his failure and which pushed several people to withdraw their support for him in search for CHANGE.

Now Buhari is presently going down the same road to perdition, just imagine if things remain this bad (or even worse) in Nigeria till 2019? we dont need more than common sense to know that Buhari and his APC would be booted out (and then some myopic people would claim it is because he is fulani). grin

This is the exact reason why some PDP thugs keep blowing up gas pipelines to make sure the power outages persists, blowing up gas pipelines is purely political and has nothing to do with Niger-Delta struggle. The other day, as soon as it was reported that Kaduna and warri refineries were working and fuel queues began reducing, the pipeline taking crude to warri and kaduna refineries which were just fixed were blown up less than a week later. grin I don't need a soothsayer to tell me these are all the handiworks of PDP to ensure Nigerians suffer tremendously for voting APC.
u have written well, but blaming our electrical woes on political rivalry is a very stupid and myopic thing to do.... It doesn't portray you as sensible... People blowing up pipelines are simply criminals, when it comes to issues of national developments I shouldn't start politicising it, it makes u look like an animalistic fool...

Blacks have a fundamental problem, they behavvand think like pigs , no projections, no plan, just live our lives like primitive animals, that everything must end here and now, same reason Africa has never advanced and will never will...

** I curse the day i became a Blackman **
Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by bender79: 5:19am On May 19, 2016
wordychap:

He managed our resources efficiently
Foreign reserve is used to strengthen a nations local currency n that's what d foreign reserve we should v saved was used for.
Today, buhari doesn't even v an economic team that can manage 3 states effectively that's y our local currency is sliding, from 1 dollar to N215 to presently N380 ....still sliding..
My friend what are you saying? Foreign reserve that was already depleted under his watch? How much did Obj leave for him? I don't know why you call a spade another thing...At over a 100 dollars / per barrel of crude your 'hero' had every oppiyrtunity to save but simply didn't.
Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by Hengineer: 6:01am On May 19, 2016
PaulkillermanAg:
u have written well, but blaming our electrical woes on political rivalry is a very stupid and myopic thing to do.... It doesn't portray you as sensible... People blowing up pipelines are simply criminals, when it comes to issues of national developments I shouldn't start politicising it, it makes u look like an animalistic fool...

Blacks have a fundamental problem, they behavvand think like pigs , no projections, no plan, just live our lives like primitive animals, that everything must end here and now, same reason Africa has never advanced and will never will...

** I curse the day i became a Blackman **
You know you didnt have to insult me with those very distasteful words to pass your simple message right?... I wasnt the one who made you a black man, I am not the one blowing up the pipelines and I am equally irked, frustrated and infuriated by the activities of the miscreants who have sworn to keep Nigerians in darkness. So why on earth did you have to insult me so badly?

We are only here to air our views I believe, and like I said, the issue of continually blowing up gas pipelines and interrupting gas supply to power stations is one problem which has totally defied logical explanation. And it has apparently increased lately with different criminal groups threatening and making strange demands like the release of Dasuki etc. You cant blame me for attributing its recent upsurge to politics.
Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by Hengineer: 6:30am On May 19, 2016
wordychap:

He managed our resources efficiently
Foreign reserve is used to strengthen a nations local currency n that's what d foreign reserve we should v saved was used for.
Today, buhari doesn't even v an economic team that can manage 3 states effectively that's y our local currency is sliding, from 1 dollar to N215 to presently N380 ....still sliding..
Not a single acknowledgement of the influence of the oil prices?

Nigeria's economy has always been tied to oil prices, that's what happens when an economy is dependent on a single product. Whenever oil prices rise, Nigeria's gdp and economy booms, whenever oil prices drops, our economy drops.

GEJ even with the best economic team ever, could not save the Naira from crashing from N160 to N220 to a dollar within 6 months when the oil prices started dropping. As at the time the naira dropped to N220-N230, oil prices were still about $60-$65 and the currency was on a steady decline, so also was Nigeria's gdp growth which had crashed to about 2.3%, and all these happened under GEJ despite his 'world class' economic team. I do not need to remind you that the oil prices had eventually dropped further to even below $30 since GEJ left power, hence the continued slide of Nigeria into further recession. It is quite myopic to just join the crowd to think this obvious glaring trend has anything to do with 'world class' economic team.

1 Like

Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by pkang: 7:57am On May 19, 2016
histemple:
Although I never believed PMP was competent, Jonathan was not the kind of president Nigeria needed.

Why if I may ask.
Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by mekaboy(m): 8:05am On May 19, 2016
bender79:
My friend what are you saying? Foreign reserve that was already depleted under his watch? How much did Obj leave for him? I don't know why you call a spade another thing...At over a 100 dollars / per barrel of crude your 'hero' had every oppiyrtunity to save but simply didn't.

Is this administration saving ? NO.

What did they do with 3 billion dollars in 1 year?

How come they are paying more subsidy than Gej?
Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by histemple: 8:06am On May 19, 2016
pkang:

Why if I may ask.

Jonathan is vulnerable and too compromising that he most times, want to please everybody.

Buhari knows nothing in democracy. He is a fantastic army officer who believes in the use of force to get the job done. Moreso, good military men don't always listens to people.j
Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by histemple: 8:07am On May 19, 2016
pkang:

Why if I may ask.

Jonathan is vulnerable and too compromising that he most times, want to please everybody.

Buhari knows nothing in democracy. He is a fantastic army officer who believes in the use of force to get the job done. Moreso, good military men don't always listens to people except their superiors----in this case Buhari is the uncommanded commander.
Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by mekaboy(m): 8:13am On May 19, 2016
Hengineer:

Nigeria's economy has always been tied to oil prices, that's what happens when an economy is dependent on a single product. Whenever oil prices rise, Nigeria's gdp and economy booms, whenever oil prices drops, our economy drops.

GEJ even with the best economic team ever, could not save the Naira from crashing from N160 to N220 to a dollar within 6 months when the oil prices started dropping. As at the time the naira dropped to N220-N230, oil prices were still about $60-$65 and the currency was on a steady decline, so also was Nigeria's gdp growth which had crashed to about 2.3%, and all these happened under GEJ despite his 'world class' economic team. I do not need to remind you that the oil prices had eventually dropped further to even below $30 since GEJ left power, hence the continued slide of Nigeria into further recession. It is quite myopic to just join the crowd to think this obvious glaring trend has anything to do with 'world class' economic team.

Listen oil price is not the reason we r buying dollars for 350 in the parallel market.

1, the time buhari spent in forming his cabinet.

2, lack of planning and foresight of his economic team.

3, His stubbornness, refusal to take the right steps at the right time.

Eg. if he has listened to sound economic reasoning from the beginning and allowed complete deregulation of petrol. Speculation would not have taken over the market.
He refuses to do the right thing and when it has caused a lot of damage he turns around to do it.

Same will be done to the currency soon.

He said there is nothing like subsidy and that subsidy is a fraud, how come he is paying more than Gej?

So the current reason for this is mismanagement and not solely oil price.

1 Like

Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by pkang: 8:16am On May 19, 2016
PaulkillermanAg:
Because he was hopelessly foolish, and he still is, he took stealing of a country's fortune to a different height, it was something already existing, only for him to come and took it overboard, he rediculed our most exalted stool... Imagine a president , that before u see him, u have to pass tru alibis(most times his wife), that will be sorted with millions, before u can be anointed or "blessed" , even refusing to acknowledge his administration was rife with stealing(because he was championing it)
That man was the worst thing that happened to Nigeria, and I feel so disappointed that he happened to be my kinsman, makingba rediculed of himself, us, and Nigeria at large

The hatred I have for Jonathan, us something words cannot describe, my children will never hear good stories about him, seeing him walking down thee road free, is a bitter pill I have to deal with...

*I spit on that cretin***

Well am so sorry to disagree with u. When Obama became Americans president d very first time he promised not to fight any nation or country. If am not mistaken, he promised to wither all his soldiers from Iraq but what has happened today. There is no administration that stealing is not going on even in the current. I kinda blame P GEJ for one thing, allowing d Hausas in his govt. I would have dropped all of them and worked with the SS N SE.
Now we know Lai Mohammed went to borrow secretly and so are other stealing done secretly in this govt. only time will tell.
Jonathan never sky rocketed corruption just that he was working hence his effort is felt in the power, road, transportation, education agriculture even in auto mobiles. Even with the corruption u all are shouting he did best.
I love, my children will learn more from him and correct mistakes he(GEJ) made and this Country still loves the smile from his face.
His wife, a wonderful woman who will not let her man be intimidated.
No one has ever seen the president without procedures and I know u haven't either.
Bros, learn to love, it pays.
Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by mekaboy(m): 8:16am On May 19, 2016
histemple:

Buhari knows nothing in democracy. He is a fantastic army officer who believes in the use of force to get the job done. Moreso, good military men don't always listens to people except their superiors----in this case Buhari is the uncommanded commander.

You have seen that the commander knows nothing about economics and administration. He has caused Nigeria more harm than Gej in 5 years.

His lack of economic direction has worsened the economic situation. His stubbornness makes him take decisions he would have taken long ago when it's already late.
Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by wordychap: 8:19am On May 19, 2016
bender79:
Obj left about 43billion dollars in d foreign reserve for the Yaradua/GEJ ERS
When there was world economic meltdown around 2008,2009 , Nigeria was one of d countries that didn't feel it and didn't go for internaional financial assistance; that's what our foreign reserve did for us our reserve had to be used to save d naira.
By d time GEJ took over and throughout his stay, his Government subsidized fuel for Nigerians such that we didn't have scarcity, that was at a cost of a lot of money, businesses boomed, the agricultural sector boomed ,Industries did well, lots of money was pumped in to d economy that's y Nigerians fared well generally through his era and he left a BOOMING economy, 30 BILLION dollars foreign reserve among other things.
Under buhari's watch, lots of civil servants have lost their jobs, industries have folded up, prices of things v soared; that's d effect of a government withholding money from d economy.
Truth b told, Nigeria has NEVER had it this bad and hey, this is not d first time price of oil has dropped in Nigeria.
Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by wordychap: 8:22am On May 19, 2016
Hengineer:

He spent too much money to ensure there was no fuel scarcity in d country in his era, he increased minimum wage, increased d work force immensely; this cost lots of money.
In 2010 when he came in, average crude oil price was 77dollars- check d data.n higher crude prices meant higher subsidy paid, in 2011 it was 107 dollars, 2012 it was 109 dollars, use average crude prices BC it drops n rises n he subsidized fuel to everyone when fuel was expensive throughput those periods

1 Like

Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by TheNonce: 8:31am On May 19, 2016
grin
mekaboy:
They said he is a fraud, insensitive and does not care about Nigerians. That's why he wants to remove subsidy.

Today they have removed it.

They said he increased fuel to 97. Today it's 150 and above.

They said 5000 MW of electricity generated under him was poor and fixing power is not rocket science.

Today we hardly have up to 2000.

They said dollar was selling at 250 and we can't survive it. Today it's 350.

They said his agriculture initiatives was not good enough. Today a bag of rice sells for thrice the price.

They said there r no jobs. Today even those that have jobs have lost it.

They complained about inflation at about 7-9% , today it is 13.7%.

They said his economic growth and position was fake
today we are sliding to recession.

So what exactly was the crime he committed ? What exactly have we changed to ? Were people feed up of good governance and wanted bad? Or where they deceived?

Go and ask the buffon personally at the bar behind his house in otueke!

***Slaps the pained wailers lips***
Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by bender79: 9:06am On May 19, 2016
wordychap:

Obj left about 43billion dollars in d foreign reserve for the Yaradua/GEJ ERS
When there was world economic meltdown around 2008,2009 , Nigeria was one of d countries that didn't feel it and didn't go for internaional financial assistance; that's what our foreign reserve did for us our reserve had to be used to save d naira.
By d time GEJ took over and throughout his stay, his Government subsidized fuel for Nigerians such that we didn't have scarcity, that was at a cost of a lot of money, businesses boomed, the agricultural sector boomed ,Industries did well, lots of money was pumped in to d economy that's y Nigerians fared well generally through his era and he left a BOOMING economy, 30 BILLION dollars foreign reserve among other things.
Under buhari's watch, lots of civil servants have lost their jobs, industries have folded up, prices of things v soared; that's d effect of a government withholding money from d economy.
Truth b told, Nigeria has NEVER had it this bad and hey, this is not d first time price of oil has dropped in Nigeria.
The economy was already collapsing at the tail of Gej administration...Even if he was re elected, things would have stood the same...so don't teach me nonsense
Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by wordychap: 9:18am On May 19, 2016
bender79:
The economy was already collapsing at the tail of Gej administration...Even if he was re elected, things would have stood the same...so don't teach me nonsense

The economy was not collapsing dollar was about 220 in black market against 198 official rate.
If GEJ was reelected, he had a very good economic team, DEFinitely d naira would have been depreciated some months ago, subsidy would still have gone but his economic team would v managed it better than this buhari's, its not about d president per say, its about getting d best hands to do d job.Things would definitely not be as bad as this. But I'm glad he didn't win so Nigeria will redefine itself. Buhari should get off his high horse and get better hands to manage our economy Nigeria is already in recession in his 1st year in office.
Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by Emmalex83: 9:43am On May 19, 2016
PaulkillermanAg:
Because he was hopelessly foolish, and he still is, he took stealing of a country's fortune to a different height, it was something already existing, only for him to come and took it overboard, he rediculed our most exalted stool... Imagine a president , that before u see him, u have to pass tru alibis(most times his wife), that will be sorted with millions, before u can be anointed or "blessed" , even refusing to acknowledge his administration was rife with stealing(because he was championing it)
That man was the worst thing that happened to Nigeria, and I feel so disappointed that he happened to be my kinsman, makingba rediculed of himself, us, and Nigeria at large

The hatred I have for Jonathan, us something words cannot describe, my children will never hear good stories about him, seeing him walking down thee road free, is a bitter pill I have to deal with...

*I spit on that cretin***

that's ur own perspective on Jonathan. but let me tell u if it was u u will even dro more than he did. let me tell u, if d investigate d regimes of heads of States starting from bababgida - Jonathan regime u will know that Jonathan is a learner on corruption. is just because u hate him that u see anything good in him. te way am seeing this regime would b worse than any other regime because d lack direction

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by 9jalyte: 9:53am On May 19, 2016
papparatzzi2013:

He called some people rascals and we showed him we are rascals.

He failed to attend to the request of Ogonis because they are not Ijaws.

He renamed the Gas City because of his Ijaw kinsmen, at the expense of the Itshekiris.

Tell us one major achievement of the Ineffectual Buffon. What job did he create? OBJ created jobs that is quantifiable. tell us the jobs created by the Mandela of Otuoke. Under his nose, Nigeria was borrowing to pay salaries. That says it all

RIvers State should hold Amaechi responsible by dragging him to EFCC. He stole RIvers money and not Nigeria's money. It is duty of the people that he stole their money to drag him to EFCC.

On the international stage, Buhari and his deputy are recognised to be upright people. That alone commands respect. If corrupt money was used to get them power and they are still upright, so be it. Was the fund meant for prosecution of war against BH or was it directly from the national ATM CBN or from crude oil sales? Where is the money from, please enlighten us.

Sorry, your problem is spiritual, stop blaming GEJ.

1 Like

Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by Ovamboland(m): 10:09am On May 19, 2016
mekaboy:

Are u now saying the burden of the federal govt is less than the state?

What the state did with their funds is inconsequential, but u accused Gej for corruption and bringing hardship on the people.

The actions federal and state govt which affects the common man directly?

The people of Rivers did not follow Amaechis recommendations for governor, so we can assume they were not satisfied with his stewardship, hope they're having it good with the new governor. Same way GEJ was voted out to try another face. The end result will tell if we need to continue or try another face.

You don't get up in the middle of a corrective surgery , once you submitted yourself to the surgeon, you let him complete the procedure and evaluate the levels of recovery to know if you need second opinion. You can't runaway from some pain and blood loss including scar at the end
Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by SirREX94: 10:10am On May 19, 2016
cktheluckyman:
Because he was from a minority tribe!!
5% tins, e pain dem sha!
Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by Hengineer: 10:16am On May 19, 2016
mekaboy:

Listen oil price is not the reason we r buying dollars for 350 in the parallel market.

1, the time buhari spent in forming his cabinet.

2, lack of planning and foresight of his economic team.

3, His stubbornness, refusal to take the right steps at the right time.

Eg. if he has listened to sound economic reasoning from the beginning and allowed complete deregulation of petrol. Speculation would not have taken over the market.
He refuses to do the right thing and when it has caused a lot of damage he turns around to do it.

Same will be done to the currency soon.

He said there is nothing like subsidy and that subsidy is a fraud, how come he is paying more than Gej?

So the current reason for this is mismanagement and not solely oil price.
Sorry, I know you simply derive pleasure in passing blames to persons you do not politically agree with, but that cannot make a fact to stop being a fact; the N350 exchange rate is fully tied to the scarcity of forex and this scarcity is a child of low oil prices and low oil production/export.

So Mr Blame, I asked a question earlier, if you think it has nothing to do with oil price but has everything to do with your political enemy (Buhari) being useless, can you please explain what was responsible for these scenarios below:

- Between October 2014 to May 2015, the value of the Naira dropped sharply from N160 to about N220/N230.

- Within this said period, the CBN and the undisputable 'world class' economic team struggled to maintain the value of the Naira and a whooping $10billion was spent in the period to support the Naira (our forex reserves fell from $38bn in Oct/Nov 2014 to $28bn in May 2015), yet the Naira still fell from N160 to N220/N230 in few months upon the $10bn spent in defending it.
http://www.cenbank.org/intops/reserve.asp

Now with the above 2 scenarios, are you also trying to insult your GEJ and his fantastically wonderful world class economic team of being clueless too?

Now everyone knows the oil price further nosedived to as low as $28 at some point and that was when the Naira value further slipped beyond N270 to up to even N400 and then back to stabilise around N320. Everyone also knows that the CBN has since the inception of this administration has not been able to defend the Naira because we have run out of forex to do that, hence the Naira has slipped much further. But sadly, a lot of educated and supposedly enlightened people for the sake of some flimsy political prejudice against Buhari choose to turn a blind eye to these factual trends by playing ignorant. bros park well oh!
Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by papparatzzi2013: 10:48am On May 19, 2016
9jalyte:

Sorry, your problem is spiritual, stop blaming GEJ.

Yours is metaphysical.

1 Like

Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by mekaboy(m): 11:45am On May 19, 2016
Hengineer:
Sorry, I know you simply derive pleasure in passing blames to persons you do not politically agree with, but that cannot make a fact to stop being a fact; the N350 exchange rate is fully tied to the scarcity of forex and this scarcity is a child of low oil prices and low oil production/export.

So Mr Blame, I asked a question earlier, if you think it has nothing to do with oil price but has everything to do with your political enemy (Buhari) being useless, can you please explain what was responsible for these scenarios below:

- Between October 2014 to May 2015, the value of the Naira dropped sharply from N160 to about N220/N230.

- Within this said period, the CBN and the undisputable 'world class' economic team struggled to maintain the value of the Naira and a whooping $10billion was spent in the period to support the Naira (our forex reserves fell from $38bn in Oct/Nov 2014 to $28bn in May 2015), yet the Naira still fell from N160 to N220/N230 in few months upon the $10bn spent in defending it.
http://www.cenbank.org/intops/reserve.asp

Now with the above 2 scenarios, are you also trying to insult your GEJ and his fantastically wonderful world class economic team of being clueless too?

Now everyone knows the oil price further nosedived to as low as $28 at some point and that was when the Naira value further slipped beyond N270 to up to even N400 and then back to stabilise around N320. Everyone also knows that the CBN has since the inception of this administration has not been able to defend the Naira because we have run out of forex to do that, hence the Naira has slipped much further. But sadly, a lot of educated and supposedly enlightened people for the sake of some flimsy political prejudice against Buhari choose to turn a blind eye to these factual trends by playing ignorant. bros park well oh!

When the oil was $ 30 some months ago, dollar was around 315 318 at parralel and now it is $46 dollar is now 350.

It's expected that as oil goes up dollar comes down, why is the reverse the case with this competent administration?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by Hengineer: 12:32pm On May 19, 2016
mekaboy:

When the oil was $ 30 some months ago, dollar was around 315 318 at parralel and now it is $46 dollar is now 350.

It's expected that as oil goes up dollar comes down, why is the reverse the case with this competent administration?
I'm sure you know the answer to your question. In your desperate attempt to scratch out a political explanation and argument, you continue to feign amnesia on even things that happened just last week.
Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by bender79: 1:19pm On May 19, 2016
wordychap:

The economy was not collapsing dollar was about 220 in black market against 198 official rate.
If GEJ was reelected, he had a very good economic team, DEFinitely d naira would have been depreciated some months ago, subsidy would still have gone but his economic team would v managed it better than this buhari's, its not about d president per say, its about getting d best hands to do d job.Things would definitely not be as bad as this. But I'm glad he didn't win so Nigeria will redefine itself. Buhari should get off his high horse and get better hands to manage our economy Nigeria is already in recession in his 1st year in office.
OK Okonjo Iweala was such a wonderful manager and yet she borrowed to pay salaries ...pls let us keep our sentiments to ourselves
It is apparent we can't change our minds about the way we feel.
Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by mekaboy(m): 2:55pm On May 19, 2016
Hengineer:
I'm sure you know the answer to your question. In your desperate attempt to scratch out a political explanation and argument, you continue to feign amnesia on even things that happened just last week.

Not lasg week alone. The incompetence and inconsistencies of the govt give room for speculation. Like it or not it affects the cost of living negatively .

If they continue to say one thing and do the other we will never have balance and our economic growth will come to a halt.

The difference between Gej and buhari is the ability to create balance in the face of challenges. Not running around confused.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by Hengineer: 4:34pm On May 19, 2016
mekaboy:

Not lasg week alone. The incompetence and inconsistencies of the govt give room for speculation. Like it or not it affects the cost of living negatively .

If they continue to say one thing and do the other we will never have balance and our economic growth will come to a halt.

The difference between Gej and buhari is the ability to create balance in the face of challenges. Not running around confused.
A balance such as the Naira value nosediving from N160 to N220 in few months despite the fact that the CBN pumped in $10billion to defend it and despite the world class economic team and despite the fact that oil prices were still relatively high ~$65 as at the time GEJ was handing over?

With the announcement that petroleum marketers would no longer get forex at the official rates, speculators instantly played in and started hoarding forex in the parallel market forcing it to jump to N350. You claim not to know about that but you only know about how it is Buhari's fault and incompetence?

Bro, you are nothing but a deeply prejudiced buhari hater who has no argument but is just desperately looking for a way to blame buhari. The irony is that if this needless blame game is reciprocated by pointing out the glaring indiscretions of GEJ which overwhelmingly contributed to this mess, your type begins to cry foul and accuse everyone of blaming the past.
Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by mekaboy(m): 5:24pm On May 19, 2016
Hengineer:
A balance such as the Naira value nosediving from N160 to N220 in few months despite the fact that the CBN pumped in $10billion to defend it and despite the world class economic team and despite the fact that oil prices were still relatively high ~$65 as at the time GEJ was handing over?

With the announcement that petroleum marketers would no longer get forex at the official rates, speculators instantly played in and started hoarding forex in the parallel market forcing it to jump to N350. You claim not to know about that but you only know about how it is Buhari's fault and incompetence?

Bro, you are nothing but a deeply prejudiced buhari hater who has no argument but is just desperately looking for a way to blame buhari. The irony is that if this needless blame game is reciprocated by pointing out the glaring indiscretions of GEJ which overwhelmingly contributed to this mess, your type begins to cry foul and accuse everyone of blaming the past.

I don't care how bitter u get about this, the truth remains that buhari is confused and knows nothing about economics.

The video is there for u to see your president say subsidy is a scam.

The same president came in after 2 months said he does not know what is subsidy. This led to major scarcity, which banks even had to close by 12 because they could not run gen.

Then he says they are no longer paying subsidy. From there went to price modulation.

While all this was happening, he was going around forcing people to sell at 86 when they got from alternative sources.

Finally he gets to allow marketers source from parralel and still put a price on it, which will lead to future discouragement.

All this confusion caused by his ignorance affects the growth and stability of the country.

Do I include the appointment of ministers delay or budget.

But local and foriegn investors are confused by the administration.

Nobody will want to invest in a country where the president says one thing today and does another 2morow.

Then you wonder why we don't have inflow of investors.

That's the balance in GEJs administration that lacks in buharis administration.

Even Obasanjo said years ago that buhari is not a good adminstrator. And it's clear to all today.

Can u tell the next move of this administration?
Re: Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? by Hengineer: 5:35pm On May 19, 2016
mekaboy:

I don't care how bitter u get about this, the truth remains that buhari is confused and knows nothing about economics.

The video is there for u to see your president say subsidy is a scam.

The same president came in after 2 months said he does not know what is subsidy. This led to major scarcity, which banks even had to close by 12 because they could not run gen.

Then he says they are no longer paying subsidy. From there went to price modulation.

While all this was happening, he was going around forcing people to sell at 86 when they got from alternative sources.

Finally he gets to allow marketers source from parralel and still put a price on it, which will lead to future discouragement.

All this confusion caused by his ignorance affects the growth and stability of the country.

Do I include the appointment of ministers delay or budget.

But local and foriegn investors are confused by the administration.

Nobody will want to invest in a country where the president says one thing today and does another 2morow.

Then you wonder why we don't have inflow of investors.

That's the balance in GEJs administration that lacks in buharis administration.

Can u tell the next move of this administration?

With the 'balance' of GEj, what did he reduce Nigeria to as soon as oil prices began to crash?

Being a person who's desperate to nail buhari, you will certainly not understand this little concept, but investors dont take their moneys to a place where money isnt flowing. Even with the difficulty to do business in Nigeria and the overwhelming fantastic corruption, the only reason those portfolio investors were running in was because there was so much money flowing in the Nigerian system, courtesy of the unprecedented high oil prices in those years.

"NO MONEY, NO FRIEND" I'm sure we are all familiar with that statement?... but you are free to keep putting the blame on PMB, someone just has to be blamed and PMB is the best target being the president. But this does not xhange the fact that any comparison between the present recession and the past admin which doesnt take into consideration, the oil prices and the fact that nigeria producez only oil, such comparison is meaningless bullcrap.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

We Are Proud Of Ugwuanyi's Peace And Good Governance Initiatives, Says PDP / US Recent Millitary Operation In Nigeria And It's Implications / NLC Vs Abure: I’m Still LP Member, Won’t Be Involved In Anti-party – Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.