Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,826 members, 7,844,673 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 05:29 AM

Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? (42171 Views)

PDP Will Defeat Buhari Or Any APC Presidential Candidate In 2019 - Markarfi / 2019: PDP Won’t Need Campaign To Defeat Buhari – Babangida Aliyu / El-Rufai Dismisses Atiku's Defection: "No Northern Politician Can Defeat Buhari" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by caracas: 8:58pm On May 22, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:
If you want to win election in Nigeria, go for the SW and NC.
SW and NC are the only swing vote regions in Nigeria.

SW and NC did it for GEJ first term and also Buhari.

But SE, NE,NW,SA will always produce Block votes.

That Block vote failed SE and SS during the last election.
U are wrong this equation will not Always be the Same .cos i can assure u that the sw will vote in block for their own,Same goes for the nc .
It all depends on the tribe of the candidate .
When tofa n abiola battled the north voted tofa, while the South west voted abiola.The ss n se became the swing vote .
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by Kennydoc(m): 8:59pm On May 22, 2016
Oneprodigy:

Not forgetting to add that GEJ was incumbent. He had all the resources of state. All he could manage was a loss.

He's not the first incumbent politician to lose an election.
Mind you that he contested against a very popular Northern candidate with his running mate from the Southwest. So it shouldn't be surprising that he lost.
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by Mbediogu(m): 9:12pm On May 22, 2016
bettercreature:
Nobody can defeat him at the moment,Northerners are just like SS/SE people they'd never vote against their brother unlike south westerners that doesn't believe in tribalism
No matter how bad Buhari is,NORTHERNERS will vote for him

Read it again. The OP is taking of ppl from same tribe/ region but different parties. It is not true that northerners don't vote against their brothers. They even do coups against each other, so remove SE / SS from your analogy.
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by Mbediogu(m): 9:16pm On May 22, 2016
poshstore:
Please let him do his job,he has 3 more yrs.

OMG. Three more year? To further degrade Nigeria and Nigerian? faints.
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by Mbediogu(m): 9:17pm On May 22, 2016
poshstore:

OMG. Three more years or you mean three weeks? To further degrade Nigeria and Nigerian? faints.
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by OBAGADAFFI: 9:26pm On May 22, 2016
Kennydoc:

25% in ⅔ of the states is not the same as a win in ⅔ of the states. For example, Buhari lost in Ekiti state, but was still able to get 40% of the votes cast in the state.
Hope you are aware that Jonathan also got 25% votes in all SW states.
The SW could have still voted for GEJ and yet Buhari would get his 25% in ⅔ states intact.

Kai, you're not saying the truth. Both Buhari and Jonathan got 25% votes in ⅔ of the states + FCT (which is at least 24 states). Buhari won Jonathan only on simple majority.

25% in each of 2/3 States + Majority is the constitutional requirements.

It's simple get 25% or more in each of the 2/3 States you become the winner.

Buhari got the highest votes more the 25% in 21 states

GEJ got the highest votes more the 25% in 19 states including Abuja.
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by Nobody: 9:27pm On May 22, 2016
poshstore:

3 painful years ahead. Abu tinz go change by then? (scratching head) undecided
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by OBAGADAFFI: 9:28pm On May 22, 2016
caracas:

U are wrong this equation will not Always be the Same .cos i can assure u that the sw will vote in block for their own,Same goes for the nc .
It all depends on the tribe of the candidate .
When tofa n abiola battled the north voted tofa, while the South west voted abiola.The ss n se became the swing vote .

Did the SW give OBJ block vote
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by caracas: 9:36pm On May 22, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

Did the SW give OBJ block vote
No rather they gave falae block votes in 1999.

1 Like

Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by Nobody: 9:39pm On May 22, 2016
Ontarget:

Why are you offended by the phrase "liberal Muslim"? Only an extremist Muslim will be offended to hear that. For your information I supported Buhari during the election. And all I am saying is if things continue like it is then the above stated type of an opposition candidate will be capable of defeating president Buhari. So what's your problem?
my point is that I xpected ur post to be thought provoking but instead u r hear talking about liberal and extreme Muslims. Only if u r trying to say pmb is an xtremist who can only b defeated by a liberal Muslim in ur little head. Ur line of argument is trivial and focuses more on what devides us.
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by idros4real: 9:44pm On May 22, 2016
Ontarget:

Of course the SE, SW and SS are tribal bigots too. But when presented with an ideal choice they wouldn't mind voting for him regardless of tribe and religion. But you know the average Street Northerner with his islamic supremacist ideas and their domineering attitude, it would be more difficult to sell a southern christian candidate to them.

Your first sentence said it all but let me tell you am a Northerner and I have live all my life in the SW only the south westerners think twice before voting. Once you have a dent then you are in trouble people like Folarin in Oyo State, Omisore in Osun are some example. People like Odua and David Mark can not win election in SW.
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by idros4real: 9:53pm On May 22, 2016
talktonase:
PMB is a worn out charger...even my car bateery cant resusitate him in 2019.

I don't bother wasting my time commenting on this kind of derisory comment. Please brother be constructive next time so that we can learn from each other. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by sCun: 10:02pm On May 22, 2016
idros4real:

Your first sentence said it all but let me tell you am a Northerner and I have live all my life in the SW only the south westerners think twice before voting. Once you have a dent then you are in trouble people like Folarin in Oyo State, Omisore in Osun are some example. People like Odua and David Mark can not win election in SW.
But Buruji Kashamu can win
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by Nobody: 10:06pm On May 22, 2016
IbnIslam:
my point is that I xpected ur post to be thought provoking but instead u r hear talking about liberal and extreme Muslims. Only if u r trying to say pmb is an xtremist who can only b defeated by a liberal Muslim in ur little head. Ur line of argument is trivial and focuses more on what devides us.
Of course the religious status of anybody seeking to lead this country counts. Are you telling me it doesnt matter to voters whether an aspirant is an extremist or liberal? Just be honest with yourself, between an extremist muslim and a liberal one who do you think will be more acceptable to christian voters? I wrote this post truly based on the way Nigerians think and what it takes to get their votes. It is the real situation on ground. Nigerians are very ethnically and religiously sensitive or else my write up would have been unnecessary. During an election if you don't hear things like SW, SE, NW, SS, Islam, Christian then you know you are not in Nigeria.
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by thespokenword: 10:11pm On May 22, 2016
Major Hamza Al Mustapha. Period
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by thespokenword: 10:13pm On May 22, 2016
Major Hamza Al Mustapha. Period
Call 08033263805 and let's get to work.
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by Kennydoc(m): 10:15pm On May 22, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

25% in each of 2/3 States + Majority is the constitutional requirements.

It's simple get 25% or more in each of the 2/3 States you become the winner.

Buhari got the highest votes more the 25% in 21 states

GEJ got the highest votes more the 25% in 19 states including Abuja.

You seemingly don't even understand what you are quoting.
The requirement is that the winner must get a minimum of 25% of the votes cast in ⅔ of the states in Nigeria plus the FCT, while also having the highest total number of votes (simple majority).
Since there are 36 states in Nigeria, ⅔ of 36 is 24, so the winner must get at least 25% of the votes cast in each of 24 states including the FCT, and then he must have the highest total number of votes.

Jonathan got a minimum of 25% of the votes cast in each of 25 states and FCT. The only states in which he couldn't make 25% votes were: Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Niger, Jigawa, Sokoto, Yobe, and Zamfara. That's 11 states in all.

Buhari on the other hand didn't get 25% of the votes cast only in the following states: Abia, Anambra, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Cross River, Delta, Ebonyi, Enugu, Imo, and Rivers. That's 10 states in all, meaning that he made the 25% in 26 states plus the FCT.

I don't know where you got the 25 states for Buhari and 19 for Jonathan from.
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by bilazego(m): 10:19pm On May 22, 2016
CSTR6:
I am sure the VP post for a yoruba redeemed pastor is enough to get your tribalistic juices flowing.

Do you mean the same tribalistic juices that's been flowing in you since Nigeria independent?
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by bilazego(m): 10:29pm On May 22, 2016
erinalex:
where were ur brothers when yar'adua in death wanted to continue in power? Answer d question 1st. Your tribe have NO principle. All they know is AGIP. Any Government In Power.

The late professor Dora Akuyinli from Anambra state south east Nigeria was the only minister that had the courage to raise a memo to FEC on the need for yar'dua to do the needful . your sophisticated ministers wasn't brave enough to do that been afraid of their northern masters.

1 Like

Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by OBAGADAFFI: 10:53pm On May 22, 2016
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by OBAGADAFFI: 10:57pm On May 22, 2016
Kennydoc:

You seemingly don't even understand what you are quoting.
The requirement is that the winner must get a minimum of 25% of the votes cast in ⅔ of the states in Nigeria plus the FCT, while also having the highest total number of votes (simple majority).
Since there are 36 states in Nigeria, ⅔ of 36 is 24, so the winner must get at least 25% of the votes cast in each of 24 states including the FCT, and then he must have the highest total number of votes.

Jonathan got a minimum of 25% of the votes cast in each of 25 states and FCT. The only states in which he couldn't make 25% votes were: Bauchi, Borno, Gombe, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Niger, Jigawa, Sokoto, Yobe, and Zamfara. That's 11 states in all.

Buhari on the other hand didn't get 25% of the votes cast only in the following states: Abia, Anambra, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Cross River, Delta, Ebonyi, Enugu, Imo, and Rivers. That's 10 states in all, meaning that he made the 25% in 26 states plus the FCT.

I don't know where you got the 25 states for Buhari and 19 for Jonathan from.

The APC candidate got the highest number of votes in 21 states while Mr. Jonathan prevailed in 15 states and Abuja.
Mr. Buhari has also met the constitutional requirement to be declared President-elect by getting more than one quarter of the votes in 27 states.

The APC candidate won in Adamawa, Bauchi, Benue, Borno, Gombe, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Kogi, Kwara, Lagos, Niger, Ogun, Ondo, Osun, Oyo, Sokoto, Yobe and Zamfara.
Mr. Jonathan on the other hand prevailed in Rivers, Plateau, Taraba, Nasarawa, Imo, Enugu, Ekiti, Edo, Delta, Ebonyi, Cross River, Bayelsa, Anambra, Akwa Ibom, Abia and the Federal Capital Territory (Abuja).
The Independent National Electoral Commission is yet to announce Mr. Buhari’s victory because the commission is still expecting results of the presidential election from Borno.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/180374-buhari-in-historic-election-win-emerges-nigerias-president-elect.html
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by kenrish2(m): 10:57pm On May 22, 2016
bettercreature:
Nobody can defeat him at the moment,Northerners are just like SS/SE people they'd never vote against their brother unlike south westerners that doesn't believe in tribalism
No matter how bad Buhari is,NORTHERNERS will vote for him
u Lie Awareness Has Gone Past That Stage
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by Nobody: 12:05am On May 23, 2016
Ben Bruce Murray
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by pussyeater(m): 1:31am On May 23, 2016
Dangote.
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by madridsta007(m): 5:21am On May 23, 2016
Ontarget:

It was desperation that caused it. People were fed up with Jonathan. And besides Buhari sold his anti corruption credentials to us which we swallowed because Nigerians were looking for a clean up in the system. But considering the present situation and if it continues till 2019, a polished candidate from the north will be a huge sell to the south.

Well, to an extent you are right. That is why it is warned that it is wrong to take decisions driven by emotions. Last year Nigerians had a simple choice to make- one of pragmatism. Jonathan was marginally better, and that was supposed to be the driver.

How Nigerians chose a septuagenarian with a terrible record and who's known for inflexibility still beats me. Anti-corruption credentials? Lol! Did Nigerians allow him to debate what those credentials are? You can not fight corruption by arresting people. You build strong institutions and modernise current ones and bring transperancy into government processes- that's how it's done.

Not by shouting about "pighting corruption" up and down.

The damage that is being done to the economy will take decades to recover. NBS has stated that over 1.6 million jobs has been lost; millions more will be lost. As for the anti-corruption rhetoric, let's wait till the end of the 8 years and see if the corruption under Buhari won't be more. I can bet, it will.
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by Kennydoc(m): 5:34am On May 23, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

The APC candidate got the highest number of votes in 21 states while Mr. Jonathan prevailed in 15 states and Abuja.
Mr. Buhari has also met the constitutional requirement to be declared President-elect by getting more than one quarter of the votes in 27 states.

The APC candidate won in Adamawa, Bauchi, Benue, Borno, Gombe, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Kogi, Kwara, Lagos, Niger, Ogun, Ondo, Osun, Oyo, Sokoto, Yobe and Zamfara.
Mr. Jonathan on the other hand prevailed in Rivers, Plateau, Taraba, Nasarawa, Imo, Enugu, Ekiti, Edo, Delta, Ebonyi, Cross River, Bayelsa, Anambra, Akwa Ibom, Abia and the Federal Capital Territory (Abuja).
The Independent National Electoral Commission is yet to announce Mr. Buhari’s victory because the commission is still expecting results of the presidential election from Borno.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/180374-buhari-in-historic-election-win-emerges-nigerias-president-elect.html

The point in bold is the important part of the whole thing.

That's why I said you didn't understand the constituitional provision you were quoting. The constitution never talks about the number of states in which the candidates gets the highest number of votes.

It only says that the person to be declared winner must get the total highest number of votes, and at the same time get 25% of the votes cast in ⅔ (or 24 states) of the federation. So even if Jonathan was the one who won in 21 states, but Buhari polled more votes than him, Buhari would have still won the election.

I'm done with this explanation. If you still don't get it, I'm sorry but I can't help you anymore.
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by OBAGADAFFI: 7:41am On May 23, 2016
Kennydoc:

The point in bold is the important part of the whole thing.

That's why I said you didn't understand the constituitional provision you were quoting. The constitution never talks about the number of states in which the candidates gets the highest number of votes.

It only says that the person to be declared winner must get the total highest number of votes, and at the same time get 25% of the votes cast in ⅔ (or 24 states) of the federation. So even if Jonathan was the one who won in 21 states, but Buhari polled more votes than him, Buhari would have still won the election.

I'm done with this explanation. If you still don't get it, I'm sorry but I can't help you anymore.

Duh, If Buhari had pulled more votes in just 5 states than GEJ winnig votes in other 31 states, will Buhari be declared winner? NO

You even contradicted yourself, by quoting the bold comments, which clearly states That Buhari got more than one quarter of the votes in 27 states. Which is a constitution requirement.

I don't like people who argue blindly .
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by TBrownAuto(m): 9:08am On May 23, 2016
shamsuRana:

90% correct,going by the mindset of the majority.

Did you just say majority, you are living in limbo so you thing the west will be so stupid to turn theirselve to minority and follow and unorganized SE/SS dam no you see it your type that go to school get education but no knowledge
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by TBrownAuto(m): 9:12am On May 23, 2016
ramdris:
When d time come, u will know... it will b base on his performance...we are wiser now..

The SW will always determine who is gonna b the President base in their kind of politics that is quite dynamic compare to other regions.. the east and North always go one direction during election an that's why the SW who can swing anywhere will always come handy for any candidate to woo...

you are dam wrong your analysis are mere talk when the west ailed with the South for last election what do the west get nothing 15 percent position and our funds looted by the South with nothing to show for in the west the west are no fool we have been a batter partner with the North and so shall it remain.
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by shamsuRana(m): 9:30am On May 23, 2016
TBrownAuto:

Did you just say majority, you are living in limbo so you thing the west will be so stupid to turn theirselve to minority and follow and unorganized SE/SS dam no you see it your type that go to school get education but no knowledge

It is your type that will never allow your human intellect (if you have any)to flow and capture reality.This has been a problem of folks of your type.No wisdom and foresight at all.
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by Kennydoc(m): 12:01pm On May 23, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

Duh, If Buhari had pulled more votes in just 5 states than GEJ winnig votes in other 31 states, will Buhari be declared winner? NO

You even contradicted yourself, by quoting the bold comments, which clearly states That Buhari got more than one quarter of the votes in 27 states. Which is a constitution requirement.

I don't like people who argue blindly .

Guy, stop your unnecessary argument.
You're the one arguing blindly.
You initially said Buhari had 2/3 votes in 21 states and GEJ had in 15. I told you that wasn't the case, and I went ahead to list the states in which they both got 25% votes.
You later started talking about Buhari winning in 21 states and GEJ in 15,and I still mentioned to you that it isn't important the number of states in which the winner won the election. The constitution is only concerned about the number of states in which the candidates polled 25% of the votes being at least 24 (ie 2/3 of the states in Nigeria), and the winner having majority votes.

So let me put it to you this way, if Jonathan had got a total of 15 million votes and Buhari had 14 million, Jonathan would have been declared the winner of the election despite outrightly winning in only 15 states plus FCT against Buhari's victory in 21 states. The reason is because Jonathan equally met the constituitional provision of having at least 25% of the votes cast in 2/3 of the states (he had 25% votes in 25 states plus the FCT. 25 plus FCT is greater than 24).
Re: Who Can Defeat Buhari In 2019? by OBAGADAFFI: 2:44pm On May 23, 2016
Kennydoc:

Guy, stop your unnecessary argument.
You're the one arguing blindly.
You initially said Buhari had 2/3 votes in 21 states and GEJ had in 15. I told you that wasn't the case, and I went ahead to list the states in which they both got 25% votes.
You later started talking about Buhari winning in 21 states and GEJ in 15,and I still mentioned to you that it isn't important the number of states in which the winner won the election. The constitution is only concerned about the number of states in which the candidates polled 25% of the votes being at least 24 (ie 2/3 of the states in Nigeria), and the winner having majority votes.

So let me put it to you this way, if Jonathan had got a total of 15 million votes and Buhari had 14 million, Jonathan would have been declared the winner of the election despite outrightly winning in only 15 states plus FCT against Buhari's victory in 21 states. The reason is because Jonathan equally met the constituitional provision of having at least 25% of the votes cast in 2/3 of the states (he had 25% votes in 25 states plus the FCT. 25 plus FCT is greater than 24).

Where you sleeping when i posted this.

Enough of this argument with you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Visits Eri King (Photos) / Zahra Buhari Shades Dino Melaye Over Festus Keyamo Argument On Channels TV / George Akume Hosts Femi Fani-Kayode To A Lunch (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.