Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,892 members, 7,821,118 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair - Fashion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair (41913 Views)

Why Do Women Flaunt Their Stretch Marks Via Sleeveless Tops? / Why Do Women Suffer With High Heel Shoes. These Are Scary And Crazy / What Do Women Gain By Exposing Their Bodies? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Nobody: 10:47pm On Apr 13, 2007
@sista

will try that

never heard of mane and tail tho
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 3:50am On Apr 14, 2007
@Salsera

If you go to this web site, you can learn about "Mane and Tail." It is cheap here in the US but I don't know how much it cost elsewhere.

http://www.newton-corbett.co.uk/mane_n_tail.htm
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by omoge(f): 4:05am On Apr 14, 2007
Sistah, which store can i get it? Beauty Spot or where?
thanks
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 9:42pm On Apr 14, 2007
@Omoge

Where do you live? I could find out for you.

Other than that, the website I posted, you can order it there but I am pretty sure, depending on where you live, there should be a beauty supply you can buy it at.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by omoge(f): 1:59am On Apr 15, 2007
i see you have aol, do you use aim so we just talk abt it? let me know. or if u wish i can email u, okay
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 1:38am On Apr 18, 2007
@omoge

You can email me and yes I do have aol instant messenger.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 1:28am On Apr 19, 2007
londoner:

WeslyanA, trust me I also know my hair, after condition/steam/moisturising and combing it is incredibly kinky and not soft at all, it simply snaps back into tight coils immediately. Its genetic, some people in my family just have very course hair, one of my sisters hair does not even relax, thats tells you how kinky it is.

My idea of very course and kinky hair differs from yours I guess, to me thick does not automatically equal kinky/course.

Ofcourse if you don't comb the hair it will be tangled, but combing hair which is just very tight natural curl and lots of it will always be a challenge, its just the natural curl pattern of the hair, moisture/conditioning will not change the natural characteristic of the hair.

Having said that, I still would not go back to relaxing, lol

after treating your hair and moisturizing it like you said, put your hair in big braids or twists. let it stay overnight and take them out the next day to comb. you'll see the difference.

have you noticed that our hair is easiest to manage just after taking out braids etc?

most of the ladies pics i put up are after a twist out.
this pic is especially obvious since she didn't comb it out yet.

natural hair isn't meant for compulsive combing or brushing anyways. so, i only comb my hair once in a while.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 1:56am On Apr 19, 2007
@salsera,

lol at the 4c comment.
I actually used to think that myself. as a little kid, my mom said i had problem hair (extra kinky. lol) so i got a perm earlier than my sibling.

about the hairdressers,
if hair braiding originated in Africa and have been in existence for centuries, i wonder how the braider's managed, since there were no chemical straighteners or hot combs then. they must have gone home with half broken hands. lol

there are some stores that don't complain/ aren't biased against natural hair. they're just harder to find (senegalese, haitian etc).
or if you live in Nigeria, try to find a hairdresser that has natural hair herself. they might be hard to find but they're usually more supportive and won't be coaxing you into getting a perm every time you walk in (even though they'll be the first to comment on how much healthier/ longer your hair has grown. that baffles me sometimes)

@ products, i get my stuff at walgreens (the ethnic section)
they sell detanglers (the kids version works best)
castor oil is also good (you can get the bb mosturizer w/ castor oil)
i also heard about the "mane and tail" Sista recommended but i haven't tried it myself yet.

and you can go on www.nappturality.com
that's like a staple site for people who need help w/ stuff.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 1:57am On Apr 19, 2007
Hey Sista tongue grin
Longest time.

lol @ Davidylan's comment. I think he has a crush on you
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 2:05am On Apr 19, 2007
@WesleyanA

Hey Sista Tongue Grin
Longest time.

lol @ Davidylan's comment. I think he has a crush on you

Who David? Don't you know, on some days he is in a good mood but most days he is a bad mood. I think when he made the comment about me not looking so bad after all, he must have been in one of his good moods. wink I like him in his good mood of course. wink

Actually, I had posted a picture of me with my hair twisted up but not like the other picture you already saw. You took so long coming back to see the picture that I took it down. Where have you been young lady! I missed you wink

@Omoge

You can email me, my email address is the one in my profile and my AIM scree name is the same name as the one in my profile.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 2:08am On Apr 19, 2007
i missed you too. lol

yeah i didn't get to see the pic davidylan was commenting on.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Nobody: 2:09am On Apr 19, 2007
sista,I was just about to start a thread asking for your whereabouts.
long time no fight
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 2:12am On Apr 19, 2007
absence definitely makes the heart grow fonder sometimes. lol
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 2:16am On Apr 19, 2007
@Babiosisi

sista,I was just about to start a thread asking for your whereabouts.
long time no fight

Oh Babiosisi my love, LOL

You just don't know, what you just said is music to my ears wink I missed you too. wink

Well I guess it is true after all, I will live for a long time. You know what they say eh? If someone was just thinking about you or talking about you before you showed up, it means you will live for a long time. I can't tell you how many times people have told me giiiiiiiiirl, I was just about to call you or, I was just thinking about you or, I was just talking about you. all the time I am thinking, I hope it was good talk and good thoughts, LOL

How are you Babiosisi? Actually, I have been coming to Nairaland but I haven't been coming as often, been real busy but I noticed you in the religious discussions. I said something to you but you know how you are, when you got your self all involved in a topic, you don't see the people who are speaking to you until the next day or the next few days or maybe never.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 2:18am On Apr 19, 2007
@WesleayanA

yeah i didn't get to see the pic davidylan was commenting on.

Here it is again,
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 2:20am On Apr 19, 2007
Here is another, I had some hair added in on both of them but in thsi picture, I made it longer. I don't know if you can see it well.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Nobody: 2:21am On Apr 19, 2007
@sista is that you?
don't you look great.
You must be an Igbo woman,go trace your roots.
You name should have been Nkechi or Ngozika.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by LuvinGuy(m): 2:30am On Apr 19, 2007
babyosisi:

@sista is that you?
don't you look great.
You must be an Yoruba woman,go trace your roots.
You name should have been Tosin or Ronke.

Fixed.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 2:31am On Apr 19, 2007
nice pics Sista. I love your twists (and the style you put it in). I was going to get some this month too but I'm broke.
They look really pretty on you.

babyosisi:

Oh please tongue
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 2:33am On Apr 19, 2007

don't you look great.

Thank you for the comment.

LOL

Babiosisi, I look like I could have come from any where in Africa accept for the North and maybe the East with the exception of maybe Kenya and Uganda.

Out of curiosity, I will be getting the gene test done though. When I get it done, I will start a topic about it. wink If it turns out that I descend from the Igbo, maybe I will change my name. wink

I like Nkechi the best, what does it mean?

Is it pronounced like this? N-kech-e but fast?
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 2:34am On Apr 19, 2007
Thanks coral gables guy (what's up with the regular userid change?).
but i'm sure sista is probably mixed yoruba, igbo, twi, and what other african ethnicities there are.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 2:35am On Apr 19, 2007
@WesleyanA

Oh please Tongue

Ha, ha, ha, I was thinking Babiosisi must be playing with me, you know the woman is real slick and sharp as a tack. I like that about her wink
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 2:37am On Apr 19, 2007
but i'm sure sista is probably mixed yoruba, igbo, twi, and what other african ethnicities there are.

I agree and you know what? I consider my self very fortunate to have all those wonderful African ethnicity's running around inside of me, as long as they are not fighting grin
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by LuvinGuy(m): 2:39am On Apr 19, 2007
WesleyanA:

Thanks coral gables guy (what's up with the regular userid change?)

Obviously Seun isn't diggin' the troll family, so he decided to have his sinister fun.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by WesleyanA(f): 2:40am On Apr 19, 2007
i only said it 'cause that's what i assumed you'll say. i guessed right grin

lol @ african ethnicities running around inside of you.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by omoge(f): 2:42am On Apr 19, 2007
I saw a Senegalese lady and she gave me a price for doing twist. it range between 250-300 dollars, is this price right?

sisters here, what do you think oo?

Sistah will contact you soon, thanks.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 2:45am On Apr 19, 2007
This is for you to see Babiossi, I hope you don't know him, he will kill me if he know I was posting this. LOL
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Nobody: 2:47am On Apr 19, 2007
Isn't that Emeka Nwolisa?lol

no I don't know him.
He has a cute smile
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 2:50am On Apr 19, 2007
@omoge

I saw a Senegalese lady and she gave me a price for doing twist. it range between 250-300 dollars, is this price right?

sisters here, what do you think oo?

I don't think the twist are worth that much because they don't take as long as braids to do. However, they are much prettier than braids and they are the in thing compared to braids. I think that Is why they cost so much. I do my own hair and only go to the shop when I am to lazy to do it my self, which is not often. I paid 40$ for that hair in my first picture now if I had to pay an extra 250-300 on top of that, it would not be cool at all especially considering the fact that I only keep my hair up for one month.
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Sista(f): 2:52am On Apr 19, 2007
Isn't that Emeka Nwolisa?lol

Ha, ha, ha

I am looking like a real Igbo woman standing next to that Igbo man eh? cheesy

LOL
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by Nobody: 2:54am On Apr 19, 2007
meanwhile Nkechi means "God's own"
and Ngozika means "blessings are the greatest"
Re: Why Do Women Of African Descent Relax/perm Their Beautiful Hair by omoge(f): 2:58am On Apr 19, 2007
I wonder too. the senegalese seems too pricy. I don't like styles on my head for long too.

my hair is all natural now and not long so i can't do that mmyself.

i guess i will just wait. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Face scrub /glow body bath (darkspots/acne/cellulite/dark knuck/unevenskintone) / Make-up Artist Chidinma Ezenwelu Converts Herself To A Guy - Pictures / Stephanie Nkechinyere Chukwuemeka Wins 2022 Miss Port Harcourt City Pageant.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.