Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,505 members, 7,954,926 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:41 PM

Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice (37367 Views)

Chinelo Okafor Receives N100,000 From AfricLearn For Making First Class In UNN / Chinelo Okafor Jennifer Receives 26000 As UNN Best Graduating Student In Faculty / Lady Expelled From Covenant University In 300L, Becomes Best Graduating Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by castel428: 11:13am On May 26, 2016
tempest01:
this should make FP...she deserves it
that of LASU just hit front page. even nairaland cant recognize UDUS, so shameful.
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by Nobody: 11:57am On May 26, 2016
Igbos are indeed doing very well grin grin grin
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by Tmaritas76(m): 12:01pm On May 26, 2016
They no dey include the c.g.p for their result abi this one is fake.what if there are many first class how do you know the overall without including the g.p.Hausa things must get k leg
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by deebsman1(m): 12:02pm On May 26, 2016
But op, why d grammatical blunders "back first class" . FYI its bag 1st class
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by ndcide(m): 12:02pm On May 26, 2016
castel428:
Injustice To The Best Graduating Student Of Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto.

Recently it has been trending over the internet about academically outstanding students who backed first class in different Universities with an overwhelming CGPAs. Some of them like IMSU and UNILag first class graduates are very fortunate to have received adequate media attention and corresponding rewards from their School and corporate bodies which they unequivocally deserve because it is not an easy feat.

Unfortunately the reverse was the case for the 2012/2013 academic set first class graduate of Applied Chemistry of Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto in the person of Miss Stella Chinelo Emelife who turned out to be the overall best in not only her faculty but in all the faculties of that academic year, backing a CGPA of 4.86.

Universities have been organising their convocation and recognizing their best graduating students, giving them employment offers, scholarships, cash,cars etc. Nobody heard anything about Usmanu danfodiyo University because it was nothing to write home about from we the graduants point of view. This is how it happened:

This prestigious University recently organised their 32nd, 33rd, and 34th convocation on March 19 2016 where the likes of Tinubu, Governor Ambode, Oba of Lagos, Fashola, and host of other dignitaries graced the occasion. Miss Stella was also invited to come and receive her award, but the convocation later turned out to be a political affair which wouldn’t have been an issue knowing what convocations are like in Nigeria just that in this case it was all about conferring Honorary Doctorate Degrees to those invited politicians. Miss Stella and other Graduants were totally ignored, they were left to sweat in their convocation gowns while they feebly clapped and cheered the politicians. It was a total mess.
Finally after the day was almost gone and some graduants have left in anger, the M.C merely rushed through the names of graduating students only pausing briefly to mention “the best graduating student of 2012/2013 academic session is Miss Stella Chinelo Emelife. Congratulations”. We were expecting some kind of standing ovation and Stella mounting the podium to collect her award but just like in a movie the M.C continued calling the names of other first class graduates of various departments!

After the event she was called and given the sum of fifty thousand naira (50,000) but her recognition certificate was not given because it was yet to be signed by the V.C. No employment offer, no scholarship no recognition was given to this young lady. Despite all she passed through, all the persecution yet she came out as the over all best, the first female non Hausa Christian to achieve such academic feat in Usmanu Danfodiyo University. It is now I know why this University which is also my alma mater has not attained national recognition which it much deserved because the school does not recognize its graduates. There are lots of intellectuals this University produce every year but none are recognized. In other university Miss Stella would have been automatically retained coz no sane institution would want to lose such academic asset.

I use this medium to call on the management of Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto, the government, corporate organisations to do something and correct this injustice and indifferent attitude meted out on this young lady and let the right thing be done. Let tribalism not cloud our sense of judgement.

below is her pics and her result.
Please mods, help show her to the world.

Remove that result from the post now. Remove it. I won't say more.
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by Rashman578(m): 12:03pm On May 26, 2016
castel428:

My brother you said it all. Usmanu Danfodiyo is a great institution that parades the best brains, good structures and everything a federal university should have but unfortunately it is not given the recognition it should have. this is a University that is supposed to be mentioned alongside ABU Zaria, OAU and other top federal universities but that is not so. I dont know whether to attribute it to the conservative nature and cultural orientation of the school environment. Yes the school is termed the most peaceful university in Nigeria, of course they earned it but they have inadvertently become 'the most silent' too. so na who their peace help? It is high time we the graduates of this great institution do something to save her image by pushing her to the lime light.
proudly #Danfodite. If you are one pls show yourself
I am
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by Nobody: 12:05pm On May 26, 2016
Mustay:
^^^

Aminu Tambuwal is the Governor of Sokoto State.

UDUS is a Federal School.

Oba Rilwan Akiolu (of Lagos) is the school's Chancellor.

Btw, OP, it's "bagged" and not "backed". Additionally, all I have seen here is the lack of media attention and recognition on the supposedly best graduating student. The OP has given a narrative that it is due to bigotry.

I hope the person in question has collected her certificate because I would not advise putting her into 'more trouble' if you have not made steps or efforts to ask the school authorities. Don't let social media users lure you all the time with the "picture or no proof" voices. You need to be tactful in dealing with certain matters.

Here is a one-sided conversation which unfortunately I cannot rely on for good reasons. What are the procedures involved in giving employment to 1st class graduates? Has she completed her NYSC? What plans does the school authority have for its best graduating student? What plans (if any) do you know they have for her?

Methinks that aside the media celebration or glitz which you're disappointed in (and which could be ascribed to poor event management as seen in your narration), the other issues are ones you can't quickly conclude.

Sure bro You nailed it. People don't know the policy of a University and will just come online and be ranting out of emotion. Like in buk, it is clearly written in their website that they no longer employ anyone without MSc no matter the CGPA he graduated with

2 Likes

Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by repogirl(f): 12:08pm On May 26, 2016
Nigiriya!

Students who worked their asses off for years but it is theilliterate politicians, most of whom dont even have secondary school certificate that were honoured!

Shame! Education has been totally rubbished and ridiculed in this country.

1 Like

Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by obailala(m): 12:08pm On May 26, 2016
The Nigerian model does not promote merit, neither does it encourage hard-work. Was it not in a supposedly advanced UNILAG that a beauty queen was given a brand new car while the best graduating first class brain was gifted a laptop?

1 Like

Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by hob(m): 12:09pm On May 26, 2016
Hope she gets the reward she deserves.

Its not an easy feat to be a 1st class honours
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by toprealman: 12:14pm On May 26, 2016
Na them loose! Stella, I'm sure you are here on NL, listen to me.
IF YOU WANT A JOB,Draft a very good cover letter to all top multi national company......trust me, very few will turn you down.
IF YOU PREFER RESEARCH, send me your contact and I will assist you get a scholarship in any top University of YOUR CHOICE.
OP headquarters of "whaling" commission is in Cambridge ( jokes apart) no be here abeg!!!
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by kikayboss(m): 12:16pm On May 26, 2016
heard that skul is wack ..a friend schooling there doesn't want to go back...the lecturers are having so much fun in failing students ....na mainly non-hausa dey suffer am sha
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by geez18(m): 12:17pm On May 26, 2016
it's very simple,it's because she is igbo,from an outcast tribe,that's why she won't be recognised and celebrated by the school. girl,don't look back,keep growing strong,keep doing your thing.you don't need validation from some bigotted bunch of people.
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by enigma2007(m): 12:22pm On May 26, 2016
I am sorry o! I am just hearing the name of that school for the 1st time...

How influential and powerful an educational organization becomes is tied to their powerful alumni network. A school without notable or powerful alumni network ( or individuals) will find themselves schemed out of things easily or struggled to be recognized.

A sch that comes to mind with a powerful Alumni network is "UNILAG". They simply have powerful individuals scattered along all the major sphere of Nigeria and this gives them the clout to lobby out things that could negatively affect the sch or lobby to have their own recognized when the situation calls for it.

In my own opinion, influential grads from this sch should bring out this sch into limelight nobody else will do it for them.
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by Nobody: 12:24pm On May 26, 2016
No be person collect mug as best graduating
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by babaireti(m): 12:26pm On May 26, 2016
Because they knew how they made her get it
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by AnanseK(m): 12:32pm On May 26, 2016
zik4ever:
My younger brother graduated from this university and there is gross discrimination in the school. It is obvious why she wasn't recognized. She is a second class citizen of this country. The stories my brother told me, made me wonder why the Press has not publicized such level of persecution, discrimination and parochialism. Please note that it is not limited to that school. Why do we keep deceiving ourselves? Have we not followed recent reports of forceful abductions and so-called conversion of teenage girls? It is not new as many would think, just that it is gradually coming out. It's a shame if you know man's inhumanity to fellow mankind.

How many northerners are even allowed to study in your regions university? Why don't you call the Biafra governors to celebrate her? You are talking of forceful abduction and conversion when we know that hundreds of northerners are abducted and eaten up in your cannibal region every year. We contribute to your nutrition in many ways.
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by castel428: 12:33pm On May 26, 2016
enigma2007:
I am sorry o! I am just hearing the name of that school for the 1st time...

How influential and powerful an educational organization becomes is tied to their powerful alumni network. A school without notable or powerful alumni network ( or individuals) will find themselves schemed out of things easily or struggled to be recognized.

A sch that comes to mind with a powerful Alumni network is "UNILAG". They simply have powerful individuals scattered along all the major sphere of Nigeria and this gives them the clout to lobby out things that could negatively affect the sch or lobby to have their own recognized when the situation calls for it.

In my own opinion, influential grads from this sch should bring out this sch into limelight nobody else will do it for them.
well said bro
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by Ezekiel68(m): 12:33pm On May 26, 2016
castel428:

that is very bad, that is why the standard of education in Nigeria will keep nose diving. people like this should be celebrated instead we celebrate polithiefians. May God help our youths
....abi
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by Jemc(m): 12:35pm On May 26, 2016
I met this girl in camp. 2015 batch A stream 2 Delta State. She told me about her making first class. I was thinking most Federal Universities offer first class students automatic employment.
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by LaExpert: 12:36pm On May 26, 2016
Kingzy4pep:
You spoke well anyway, but to the best of my knowledge, I have to also let you know that there are no laid down procedures in employing the best graduating student.
It's always done on that day of the convocation.
During our's, the dude was employed that day and was given a scholarship to further in any school of his choice(overseas).

Understand that having a first-class is not a guarantee for you to receive ANY special treatment.

However, it is strongly advised that their various institutions should recognise and commend the efforts of these set of people.

It is NOT injustice if no organisation award her scholarship, employment, gifts etc.
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by enigma2007(m): 12:38pm On May 26, 2016
castel428:

well said bro

That is why people pay through their noses to enter schs like Harvard etc.
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by Nobody: 12:39pm On May 26, 2016
Which school is still using a typewriter?
That certificate can easily be reproduced.

This shows and confirms the 'op' statement.

The University better brace up for excellence and advancement.
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by castel428: 12:41pm On May 26, 2016
IamPrince1:
Danfodites indeed. I now realised that the so called danfodites are reason why such great institution as Danfodiyo remains below ranking even lower the some state universities! Others are busy celebrating their schools and their best graduating students thereby pushing their institution to the spotlight but Danfodites are no where to be found. even to create ordinary thread promoting the school like others do, they cant now when someone has offered them the opportunity by creating such like this they come here spewing thrash. OP thank you for this opportunity of pushing Danfodiyo to the spotlight because i feel embarrassed anytime I was asked where I graduated from because the next question will be 'which school is that?' I will now have to add 'Sokoto' to the Usmanu Danfodiyo before they will know, and sometimes will sarcastically add 'oh that Hausa school? I am presently serving in Lagos and this is what I encounter all the time. But because I know my school and what It takes to graduate with 2.2 from there not to talk of first class, I have to always hold my head up to defend the school and my 2.1. It is not easy to defend when you have unjustly termed a dullard even before you open your mouth to talk just because you graduated from UDUs which they hardly hear of.It is quite embarrassing that the head teacher of Economics in PPA had to hang around the classroom from the first 3weeks whenever I was teaching Economics to the senior classes because she didnt have the confidence that a 2.1 graduate of Economics Education from UDUs was gonna be competent.I had to go extra mile to prove her wrong. Now someone that bagged first class in Applied Chemistry (Industrial Chemistry) with whooping CGPA of 4.86 was totally ignored by the school and all you so called Danfodites could was to be commenting rubbish, further proving to the whole world your ineptitude.It is better to keep quiet be assumed a fool than to open your vocal cavity, removing all doubts what you are.
Congrats Dear. It's quite unfortunate that such rare brain as yours will be slaughtered on the altar of tribalism.
My advice, fu.k them and find your way and obtain your Msc if you havent, possibly if you can get it outside the country the better.great opportunities await you coz you are a prized asset any institution will like to have.
well said bro. we Alumni are the ones to push the school to limelight as someone suggested. can you imagine that someone here is saying that he was hearing the name of the school for the first time!
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by Paretomaster(m): 12:42pm On May 26, 2016
congratulations! to her, though we don't know what d school hav in stock for her, but I know they do retain their best students.

the recognition might not be enough, but she was recognised at least in the school little way, UDUS is a good school with little social orientation, probably due to the religious nature of the state.

for those claiming tribalism, did u think she will be allow to graduate with a first class if it's because of her tribe?

someone also talk about d school being too peaceful, and too silent, is dat a crime?

frankly if u r looking to read, and study well, na UDUS o, but the social life is near zero..

proudly Danfodite!!!

2 Likes

Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by castel428: 12:43pm On May 26, 2016
BillBlogger:
Which school is still using typewriter?
That certificate can be easily reproduce.

This shows and confirm the 'op' statement.

The University better brace up for excellence and advancement.

that is notification of result. the problem with UDUS is the cultural orientation of Sokoto state as a whole. they are simply more Islamic than Mecca
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by Ikennablue(m): 12:45pm On May 26, 2016
One thing i know for sure is that the school's recognition does not have any say in her future.. She's already a star, I wish her success and more academic achievement in transparent institutions
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by lafuria1(m): 12:45pm On May 26, 2016
I'm curious, was she the only one that made first class in the whole of sokoto and got ignored, where others supposedly indigine who earned first class celebrated and offered employment and she was ignored? I only see injustice if she was ignored and others celebrated but so far only injustice I see the op is pointing out she was ignored because of tribal difference which of course is very lame.

The unilag graduate thats being celebrated is because he earned 5.00 cgpa, where those who earned 4.90 cgpa celebrated too? No.

Before you jump to conclusions, ask if she was the only one ignored, if no, then the school authorities need to be asked why it didn't celebrate its first class students.

2 Likes

Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by castel428: 12:49pm On May 26, 2016
Paretomaster:
congratulations! to her, though we don't know what d school hav in stock for her, but I know they do retain their best students.

the recognition might not be enough, but she was recognised at least in the school little way, UDUS is a good school with little social orientation, probably due to the religious nature of the state.

for those claiming tribalism, did u think she will be allow to graduate with a first class if it's because of her tribe?

someone also talk about d school being too peaceful, and too silent, is dat a crime?

frankly if u r looking to read, and study well, na UDUS o, but the social life is near zero..

proudly Danfodite!!!
you made a point bro. Didnt say its not possible for them to still have something in stock for her but they should at least let her know that something is cooking. UDUS needs to brace up in other to catch with others, they should not operate in isolation.what is worth doing is worth doing well. nothing stops them from telling there and then that she will be retained and they will start working towards making it possible.
having said that, UDUs is still a great institution but honestly they need to change asap
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by Nobody: 12:50pm On May 26, 2016
castel428:

that is notification of result. the problem with UDUS is the cultural orientation of Sokoto state as a whole. they are simply more Islamic than Mecca
They should strive for the righteous Islamic way of life. This religion appreciates seeking knowledge, advancement, aesthetics and neatness and excellence. They need to check their actions and avoid hypocrisy.
Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by Ikennablue(m): 12:50pm On May 26, 2016
lafuria1:
I'm curious, was she the only one that made first class in the whole of sokoto and got ignored, where others supposedly indigine who earned first class celebrated and offered employment and she was ignored? I only see injustice if she was ignored and others celebrated but so far only injustice I see the op is pointing out she was ignored because of tribal difference which of course is very lame.

The unilag graduate thats being celebrated is because he earned 5.00 cgpa, where those who earned 4.90 cgpa celebrated too? No.

Before you jump to conclusions, ask if she was the only one ignored, if no, then the school authorities need to be asked why it didn't celebrate its first class students.
oga the subject here is the best graduating student and not first class students, the best graduating student might have a 2.,
ignoring first class students is understandable but celebrating the best graduating student is a tradition in every educational institution

1 Like

Re: Stella Chinelo Emelife: UDUS Best Graduating Student And Injustice by naturaleff: 12:53pm On May 26, 2016
First of all, Congratz to Chinelo. I was in her shoes in 2005 (Second best graduating student, though. From the same school and same department too). Scholarships and employments were given to peeps who got 'lesser' awardsl. But this is Nigeria, arguably unfair?......yea!

But the good news is, my dear all things worketh out for good, I am very proud of where i am today. And with the benefit of hindsight, i keep praising God always that i didn't benefit from such free employment or scholarships. If i did, i probably wouldn't be alive or be where i am today.

For the record, i havent commented on nairaland since 2008 smiley.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Breaking News Oshiomole Comrade Bus On Fire At Uniben Gate / Mapoly Release First bacth admission list for 2015/2016 session / Huawei's New Campus In China Looks Like A Big European City (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.