Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,051 members, 7,821,619 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG (26653 Views)

FG Develops Home Made Biscuits For School Feeding Programme / Fayose Embraces Buhari's School Feeding Programme / Buhari’s Homegrown School Feeding Programme Kicks Off In Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by Akolawole(m): 11:08pm On Jun 12, 2016
kedeojo:

The last time I checked, the APC didn't promise to grant bailout. Fayose and co should find alternative on how to generate income and add to d dwindely revenue that come to their state.

Agreed 100%
Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by banmee(m): 11:15pm On Jun 12, 2016
kenny987:

When u come sounding all pompous, important and knowledgeable without saying anything useful at the end of ur diatribe, u come off sounding even more ignorant than d so called children u feel you're educating.

First of all, did u even take into cognisance d fact that Nigeria is completely dysfunctional? Who is to pay d federal tax? Is it the parents of the children d FG is proposing to feed or who? In what context do u even refer to federal tax within d Nigerian structure?

The federating units as dependent as they are on the FG, contrary to what federalism truly embodies, they are already groaning under the weight of bills n expenditure within the states so what is the basis of 'increasing federal tax?' Have federal salaries increased? Is s govt too dumb n weak to find means of reviving the economy and raising d resources it needs so that it has to resort to further taxing the general populace in order to fund its projects? Is the proposed social welfarism d way to go in the face of looming economic depression?

Increased taxation only makes economic sense when there is actual economic prosperity with a buoyant economy and stronger spending power for d citizens.
Make God help you.

I will start from the bottom of your post because you are thinking with your asss. The most important resource is the human resource and Nigeria has plenty of it. It is a tax heaven if handled by a normal country. Keyword here is normal. I don't know which level of education you have, but you tax to be prosperous and continue taxing to maintain. If only you had taken the time to read and understand what i was saying. You are making excuses for why you are phucked up as a people. Who cares? Who's business is it but yours. Who's problem it is but yours? Who created the situation you are in but you? So, when and how do you want the transformation you seek to begin when you can't even acknowledge the way normal people do business. See why Nigeria is so phucked up? Because of people like you thinking and walking around. And there are millions like you in the country. God help una.
Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by Angrymode: 11:17pm On Jun 12, 2016
Zombies and their comments make me lipsrsealed embarassed at the same time.

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by clevadani: 11:18pm On Jun 12, 2016
Its a shame we have leaders like dis. This makes virtually no sense
Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by hushshinani(m): 11:21pm On Jun 12, 2016
this idioooot no want get sense.... him no dey collect allocation from fg.... i guess with some other benefit...
Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by gratiaeo(m): 11:25pm On Jun 12, 2016
Fayose on point again

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by Nyceguy92: 11:26pm On Jun 12, 2016
[quote author=STFUand4kMeHARD post=46512819]

School feeding is the least of problems of parents.
No school child has ever starved to death. Parents can handle that one.
How will this work, if I may ask, and who will benefit?
Is every school going to set up a kitchen or will the food come packaged from ZXZ Company?

The real problems of parents are school fees, books, poor salary,etc.
This food thing will be difficult to manage plus it sure will create avenues for embezzlement.

If the government wants to help parents with the burden of education, it should increase workers' salary, abolish tuition fees and supply books free to school children.
This will achieve more spread than giving school kids few spoons of rice, porridge, bananas, etc.
I see the programme failing/abandoned before it has even started.

2 Likes

Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by bashydemy1: 11:31pm On Jun 12, 2016
kenny987:
Very good. This is the absolute responsibility of the FG. No Nigerian should be deceived when these APC liars come out tomorrow n declare d clueless, unrealistic and impracticable feeding program a failure because state governments did not provide counterpart funding.
Since it's part of APC promise and not that of PDP, It should only be limited to APC States.
Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by AgreatMan: 11:38pm On Jun 12, 2016
HzRF:

Stupendous ignoramus

Bailout is a loan

Why didn't he get the loan from the banks. Ohw! I forgot, no bank will borrow him.
Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by AgreatMan: 11:39pm On Jun 12, 2016
castrokins:
Do You Even Understand That States Repay The Bail-out Funds To FG And It's Taken At Source?
Hate Fayose, But Take This Succinct And Candid Opinion. The Burden Will Cripple His State.

He has already crippled the state.
Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by mcnuel001(m): 11:43pm On Jun 12, 2016
CecyAdrian:
Lol, According to him, agreement was between Nigeria and APC, is Fayose trying to tell us that Ekiti state is not part of Nigeria?

Well, Buhari is the head of Nigeria now, and he happens also to be a member of APC who even initiated the idea, and as the leader of Nigeria, he agrees to what APC proposed on behalf of Nigerians, so Fayose have no choice but to fall into line, excerpt he wants to move his state to Sudan.

Imagine him saying he is interested in the programme but his state will not contribute cheesy cheesy Joker!
Music# na who be this ooo,
Chorus: zombie oooo zombie

Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by kutchs: 12:01am On Jun 13, 2016
banmee:

I keep saying it. Not one single Nigerian understands what governance is and how it is accomplished. This is the reason the country is in perpetual reverse and it's citizen are just following gullibly. In a normal society, the government would not even ask. All they need to do is increase federal tax on certain items. Case closed. Nigeria and by extension, Nigerians have serious issues and they don't even know. Their leaders don't understand what governance is. The citizens don't either. So, which way forward na? Sometimes when i comment on Nairaland, i feel like i am trying to educate children. God help una.
I doubt you know what good governance amounts to.
Good governance goes beyond mere rhetorics, it involves basically the judicious and effective allocation and utilization of resources which in the case of Nigeria currently can't be described as anything but scarce. You need to ask yourself how the FG is going to fund this programme given the economic realities. Where are states already struggling to meet basic needs going to get funds for 40%?

On the other hand, Nigeria operates a federal system of govt and not a unitary system where States are subsidiaries to the FG. States have powers to expend their resources as they deem necessary and shouldn't be blackmailed by the FG to carry out an assignment they don't have funds for. The schools feeding programme was a campaign promise and I know many a people who voted for the APC on the basis of that. Like someone earlier that was an agreement between the FG and Nigerians and not FG, states and Nigerians. Fayose didn't promise Ekitians free feeding and so shouldn't be held accountable.

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by Icecream4U(m): 12:06am On Jun 13, 2016
Both apc and pdp should start seeing themselves as one Nigeria. Whether a promise is made by any of the parties is not the point. If it's for the good of the country, we should all put hands together to make it work.
Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by kenny987(f): 12:15am On Jun 13, 2016
banmee:

I will start from the bottom of your post because you are thinking with your asss. The most important resource is the human resource and Nigeria has plenty of it. It is a tax heaven if handled by a normal country. Keyword here is normal. I don't know which level of education you have, but you tax to be prosperous and continue taxing to maintain. If only you had taken the time to read and understand what i was saying. You are making excuses for why you are phucked up as a people. Who cares? Who's business is it but yours. Who's problem it is but yours? Who created the situation you are in but you? So, when and how do you want the transformation you seek to begin when you can't even acknowledge the way normal people do business. See why Nigeria is so phucked up? Because of people like you thinking and walking around. And there are millions like you in the country. God help una.

Good gracious! I've got a simpleton and basket case on my hands! It is stated clearly that Nigeria is dysfunctional hence the patent foolishness of ur opinion n suggestion within this context. Nowhere in my post did I put down the importance n benefits of taxation when handled properly n proceeds deployed effectively for development n good governance.

I simply pointed out d impropriety of such in view of the current prevalent situation along with the pompous sense of self importance which ur post reeked of. This is even worse!

Human resources are absolutely important but unfortunately, whether u like it or not, the reality on ground is a majority of those humans currently impoverished n financially weakened. Any increase in taxation without a definite amelioration of inevitable hardship will amount to 'oppression' which the same humans will kick against. The first n most pertinent question will always be, 'What has been done with taxes already being paid?' The program seeking to be funded is a welfarist one not designed to yield any profit. What normal country embarks on such in the face of stark economic decline and hardship? What was d feasibility in the first instance? It is a prosperous populace that can afford to be taxed for social welfare/interventions but right now, the all important human resources are absolutely not prosperous apart from a few in whose hands wealth is concentrated.

No matter how in love with d ideal u are, u must face d real situation. The government must first rid itself of dullness n ineptitude and articulate/implement policies that actually bring money n benefits into d pockets of d people along with a vibrant economy and then taxation becomes sine qua non.
Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by kutchs: 12:17am On Jun 13, 2016
Icecream4U:
Both apc and pdp should start seeing themselves as one Nigeria. Whether a promise is made by any of the parties is not the point. If it's for the good of the country, we should all put hands together to make it work.
Yes true but you need to undersand too that some of these programmes were never going to be sustainable in the long run. Take the deceitful and fraudulent free education of Rochas Okorocha in Imo State as an instance. How is the govt going to fund this programme? From where will already cash strapped states get the 40% from? I'm very sure if you ask state governors even of the APC in confidence, they will not support it but won't admit it publicly for fear of being branded 'unpatriotic' and anti-Buhari.

Many states are owning backlog of salaries to workers, yet you are foisting extra burden on them. Cmon Fayose is only being realistic. He makes no pretence.
Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by banmee(m): 12:20am On Jun 13, 2016
kenny987:

Good gracious! I've got a simpleton and basket case on my hands! It is stated clearly that Nigeria is dysfunctional hence the patent foolishness of ur opinion n suggestion within this context. Nowhere in my post did I put down the importance n benefits of taxation when handled properly n proceeds deployed effectively for development n good governance.

I simply pointed out d impropriety of such in view of the current prevalent situation along with the pompous sense of self importance which ur post reeked of. This is even worse!

Human resources are absolutely important but unfortunately, whether u like it or not, the reality on ground is a majority of those humans currently impoverished n financially weakened. Any increase in taxation without a definite amelioration of inevitable hardship will amount to 'oppression' which the same humans will kick against. The first n most pertinent question will always be, 'What has been done with taxes already being paid?'

No matter how in love with d ideal u are, u must face d real situation. The government must first rid itself of dullness n ineptitude and articulate/implement policies that actually bring money n benefits into d pockets of d people along with a vibrant economy and then taxation becomes sine qua non.

Going back to what your infantile brain cannot comprehend. When would you want the change you desperately need to begin? You keep saying the country is dysfunctional so what do you do to make it functional? Is it not by the things that makes other normal systems function? Are you retarded or something?
Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by fasbat(m): 12:23am On Jun 13, 2016
kutchs:
Fayose on point as usual.
Why force states to help you fulfil a promise they weren't part of?
does FG has any primary school of its own FG has negligible number of secondary school in terms of Unity schools across d country and will surely need d co-operation of states to make a success of ds laudable project,but funding is d real issue and I feel in every sense of it,states shd collaborate with FG and see how d funding be spread across board as pupils will increase in primary school enrollment...anyway,Fayose can't change his way of life and he shd pls carry on!
Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by banmee(m): 12:27am On Jun 13, 2016
kutchs:

I doubt you know what good governance amounts to.
Good governance goes beyond mere rhetorics, it involves basically the judicious and effective allocation and utilization of resources which in the case of Nigeria currently can't be described as anything but scarce. You need to ask yourself how the FG is going to fund this programme given the economic realities. Where are states already struggling to meet basic needs going to get funds for 40%?

On the other hand, Nigeria operates a federal system of govt and not a unitary system where States are subsidiaries to the FG. States have powers to expend their resources as they deem necessary and shouldn't be blackmailed by the FG to carry out an assignment they don't have funds for. The schools feeding programme was a campaign promise and I know many a people who voted for the APC on the basis of that. Like someone earlier that was an agreement between the FG and Nigerians and not FG, states and Nigerians. Fayose didn't promise Ekitians free feeding and so shouldn't be held accountable.

Do you know what America, Germany and every other functioning society is built on? It is built on taxation. They mostly depend on one resource which is the human resource. This is one of the major reasons Canada is looking for qualified people to come to their country so they can come and contribute to their economy which in turn means they can be taxed appropriately. Normal countries are looking for ways to move away from natural resources but Nigerians are hell bent on sucking their nation dry. Corruption is the bane of Nigeria.
Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by kenny987(f): 12:33am On Jun 13, 2016
banmee:

Going back to what your infantile brain cannot comprehend. When would you want the change you desperately need to begin? You keep saying the country is dysfunctional so what do you do to make it functional? Is it not by the things that makes other normal systems function? Are you retarded or something?

Let me follow ur dull reasoning a bit. The government has already increased taxation in some sectors for instance d #50 stamp duty on every deposit above 1k in current accounts, d increase in electricity tariffs and even d recent increase in petrol pump prices. These represent increased revenue for d FG already. Where is d effect being felt? How have Nigerians benefitted?
Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by kutchs: 12:34am On Jun 13, 2016
fasbat:
does FG has any primary school of its own FG has negligible number of secondary school in terms of Unity schools across d country and will surely need d co-operation of states to make a success of ds laudable project,but funding is d real issue and I feel in every sense of it,states shd collaborate with FG and see how d funding be spread across board as pupils will increase in primary school enrollment...anyway,Fayose can't change his way of life and he shd pls carry on!
Good you admitted funding is the issue, now ask how even the FG is going to fund it. This programme to me isn't sustainable.
Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by drizzymadbet(m): 12:35am On Jun 13, 2016
CecyAdrian:
Lol, According to him, agreement was between Nigeria and APC, is Fayose trying to tell us that Ekiti state is not part of Nigeria?

Well, Buhari is the head of Nigeria now, and he happens also to be a member of APC who even initiated the idea, and as the leader of Nigeria, he agrees to what APC proposed on behalf of Nigerians, so Fayose have no choice but to fall into line, excerpt he wants to move his state to Sudan.

Imagine him saying he is interested in the programme but his state will not contribute cheesy cheesy Joker!

your analysis is very vague, the government wasting public funds on white elephant initiatives. we know they made careless promises to win the electorate. Buh the funds that are going to be wasted on these stupid project should be spent on infrastructures or even individual capacity development.

Most of the states are so broke that they can't pay salaries and the FG still want to lay on them the burden of feeding students. Ask Osun state how the school feeding and school uniform initiative led them. Babe if you have forgetten , the initiative led to their bankruptcy. that's the same line Bu Bu is heading.

Besides fighting corruption, Bihari has failed in everything. His people here down north are even disappointed in him.

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by compoundcc: 12:37am On Jun 13, 2016
[size=28pt]

Local government

Started

Kano (44)
Oyo (43)
Borno(30)
Adamawa (30)
Bauchi (30)
Kaduna (30)
Katsina(34)
Lagos(39)
Abia(17)
Akwa Ibom(21)
Anambra(21)
Balyesa (9)
Benue(23)
Cross River(18)
Delta(29)
Ebonyi(13)
Edo(29)
Ekiti(19)
Enugu(17)
Gombe(11)
Imo(21)
Jigawa(27)
Kebbi(21)
Kogi(29)
Kwara(29)
Nasarawa(13)
Niger(25)
Ogun(29)
Ondo(29)
Osun(30)
Plateau(17)
Rivers(23)
Sokoto(23)
Taraba(16)
Yobe(21)
Zamfara(14)

t][/size]
Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by okusebi(m): 12:43am On Jun 13, 2016
evy1:
even a crawling baby thinks better than you, jeez.
you guyz should take it easy with him.. clearly he has an empty skull
Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by banmee(m): 12:45am On Jun 13, 2016
kenny987:

Let me follow ur dull reasoning a bit. The government has already increased taxation in some sectors for instance d #50 stamp duty on every deposit above 1k in current accounts, d increase in electricity tariffs and even d recent increase in petrol pump prices. These represent increased revenue for d FG already. Where is d effect being felt? How have Nigerians benefitted?

God!! It's like talking to a child. I need to break this down barney style;

1. Normal countries are built on taxation.

2. Nigeria needs to start doing it the normal way.

3. What you think is taxation in Nigeria is not. I don't blame you for not knowing this. Nigeria has phucked your mind up.

4. Saying that Nigeria is dysfunctional or it doesn't work in Nigeria is your problem. If it can work in Normal countries but not in Nigeria, what does that tell you? How do you get Nigeria to function? is it not by doing things the normal way?

5. Taxing banks and electricity tariffs is just the tip of the iceberg. Just like you don't understand what governance is, you don't understand taxation. Everything should be taxed. What would you do if you were German where to get a drivers licence would cost you almost 2,000 Euro?

6. Get educated.

7. Get exposed.

8. Change your mentality.
Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by kutchs: 12:45am On Jun 13, 2016
banmee:

Do you know what America, Germany and every other functioning society is built on? It is built on taxation. They mostly depend on one resource which is the human resource. This is one of the major reasons Canada is looking for qualified people to come to their country so they can come and contribute to their economy which in turn means they can be taxed appropriately. Normal countries are looking for ways to move away from natural resources but Nigerians are hell bent on sucking their nation dry. Corruption is the bane of Nigeria.
Who are you going to tax?
The already beleaguered Nigerians? You are going to tax the same people who have lost their jobs, people who are struggling to survive. MOWAN said the other day that the rate of fuel consumption in the country since the increment in pump price has dropped drastically, know why?

Nigerians are already faced with all sorts of federal tax, from PAYEE to fuel tax, from VAT to other forms and it's over burdening.
Your analogy with the Canadian situation is faulty, very faulty. To start with, people emigrate to Canada because they have better chances of getting a job while Nigerians are losing theirs. The govt can tax Canadians because they are 'comfortable' can you say same of Nigerians? The man you are going to tax hasn't been paid in months. The trader you are going to tax hasn't sold goods of up to #1,000 in a day.
I don't know really how you even start it.

3 Likes

Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by banmee(m): 12:52am On Jun 13, 2016
kutchs:

Who are you going to tax?
The already beleaguered Nigerians? You are going to tax the same people who have lost their jobs, people who are struggling to survive. MOWAN said the other day that the rate of fuel consumption in the country since the increment in pump price has dropped drastically, know why?

Nigerians are already faced with all sorts of federal tax, from PAYEE to fuel tax, from VAT to other forms and it's over burdening.
Your analogy with the Canadian situation is faulty, very faulty. To start with, people emigrate to Canada because they have better chances of getting a job while Nigerians are losing theirs. The govt can tax Canadians because they are 'comfortable' can you say same of Nigerians? The man you are going to tax hasn't been paid in months. The trader you are going to tax hasn't sold goods of up to #1,000 in a day.
I don't know really how you even start it.

You are giving excuses for why you cannot accomplish an objective. As a manager, that would get you fired. Just because Nigeria is corrupt is no one's problem but yours. If you keep giving excuses, then when does the change you desire begin? How does it begin? At this rate, you'll keep giving the same excuses for another half century. The process is; you tax to create opportunity. You continue to tax to maintain the opportunity. Your excuse that corruption in Nigeria will not make it work is your bane. It is your problem. No one elses.
Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by jumobi1(m): 12:55am On Jun 13, 2016
Osinbajo is a lawyer. I don't think Ekiti can be forced to contribute. It doesn't sound constitutional

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by PhockPhockMan: 12:56am On Jun 13, 2016
mrvitalis:
dose he even know the powers of the fedral government??
Now I know you're a huge joke.
Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by arruh(m): 1:02am On Jun 13, 2016
CecyAdrian:

u were given a brain so u can have sense but unfortunately rats have eaten some parts of ur brain.the

1 Like

Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by mayorchelsea(m): 1:10am On Jun 13, 2016
how many times in a week does Fayose and his spokesman release statement? One week,one press release.
Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by kenny987(f): 1:19am On Jun 13, 2016
banmee:

God!! It's like talking to a child. I need to break this down barney style;

1. Normal countries are built on taxation.

2. Nigeria needs to start doing it the normal way.

3. What you think is taxation in Nigeria is not. I don't blame you for not knowing this. Nigeria has phucked your mind up.

4. Saying that Nigeria is dysfunctional or it doesn't work in Nigeria is your problem. If it can work in Normal countries but not in Nigeria, what does that tell you? How do you get Nigeria to function? is it not by doing things the normal way?

5. Taxing banks and electricity tariffs is just the tip of the iceberg. Just like you don't understand what governance is, you don't understand taxation. Everything should be taxed. What would you do if you were German where to get a drivers licence would cost you almost 2,000 Euro?

6. Get educated.

7. Get exposed.

8. Change your mentality.

There must be practical effects n manifestation of d proceeds of taxation. The taxes so far taken, where is the effect of its use?

Do u realise u are comparing apples n oranges? The European n other developed countries u cite, what is the earning power of its citizens? How much tax can u really squeeze out of a minimum wage earner of 18k in Nigeria? Do u then propose that the government should tax him more before he can reap the rewards?

There are basic infrastructure which ought to be in place like electricity, good roads, water supply and so on. I am trying to let u know that at this time, it is impracticable to tax more! Not all governments or societies function on taxes. The resources at d disposal of d governments at all levels should be effectively deployed towards provision of basics and better income then d people can pay whatever taxes and still have a decent living wage or more!

A Driver's license may cost that much and in Germany, it does not amount to much because the economy n spending power of d citizens are sound! I'm certain u know d equivalent of that sum in Naira. Now Even a tenth of that sum for procurement of drivers licenses is more than salaries of a lot of graduates here!

More taxation in Nigeria simply amounts to more money in d hands of government to steal n misuse with minimal accountability and nothing gets done. The real change starts from revamping the system of governance here, setting up effective systems of service deliveries, empowering the courts n with better trained govt officials. Do u realise d Nigerian constitution makes it impossible to legally demand an explanation for failed government service deliveries even where funds are allocated n expended to that effect? Simply because the courts don't have power to entertain such suits!

The real change so desired starts from d government playing its role because Nigerian citizens have been shortchanged for too long. We shouldn't still be a mono-resource dependent country till now and u see d effect today. It's d height of fraud that most Nigerian homes n businesses pay estimated electricity bills of as much as 10-15k per month in one bedroom residential apartments for instance because the regulators deliberately refuse to install pre-paid meters which measure actual consumption. This is d case even when there's hardly any power supplied and as a result of the increased tariffs I mentioned earlier. You really advocate more taxes paid into such a warped system? Is this d case in America n Germany u used as examples? Is it more taxes that will bring about a more honest, visionary and proactive leadership/government?

So young man, no, Nigeria is unique in this regard and normalcy or change needs to start from the system of governance n public awareness. Taxation is not d way out because of appalling poverty levels. You cannot compare Nigeria n Europe now, it's unfortunate but that's d situation we're in now.

Finally, I have lived n worked in d Uk so I understand d European system at least as far as d Uk is concerned. Your attempt at putting my level of education n exposure down only shows your insecurity n misplaced sense of superiority.

2 Likes

Re: I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG by banmee(m): 1:42am On Jun 13, 2016
kenny987:

There must be practical effects n manifestation of d proceeds of taxation. The taxes so far taken, where is the effect of its use?

Do u realise u are comparing apples n oranges? The European n other developed countries u cite, what is the earning power of its citizens? How much tax can u really squeeze out of a minimum wage earner of 18k in Nigeria? Do u then propose that the government should tax him more before he can reap the rewards?

There are basic infrastructure which ought to be in place like electricity, good roads, water supply and so on. I am trying to let u know that at this time, it is impracticable to tax more! Not all governments or societies function on taxes. The resources at d disposal of d governments at all levels should be effectively deployed towards provision of basics and better income then d people can pay whatever taxes and still have a decent living wage or more!

A Driver's license may cost that much and in Germany, it does not amount to much because the economy n spending power of d citizens are sound! I'm certain u know d equivalent of that sum in Naira. Now Even a tenth of that sum for procurement of drivers licenses is more than salaries of a lot of graduates here!

More taxation in Nigeria simply amounts to more money in d hands of government to steal n misuse with minimal accountability and nothing gets done. The real change starts from revamping the system of governance here, setting up effective systems of service deliveries, empowering the courts n with better trained govt officials. Do u realise d Nigerian constitution makes it impossible to legally demand an explanation for failed government service deliveries even where funds are allocated n expended to that effect? Simply because the courts don't have power to entertain such suits!

The real change so desired starts from d government playing its role because Nigerian citizens have been shortchanged for too long. We shouldn't still be a mono-resource dependent country till now and u see d effect today. It's d height of fraud that most Nigerian homes n businesses pay estimated electricity bills of as much as 10-15k per month in one bedroom residential apartments for instance because the regulators deliberately refuse to install pre-paid meters which measure actual consumption. This is d case even when there's hardly any power supplied and as a result of the increased tariffs I mentioned earlier. You really advocate more taxes paid into such a warped system? Is this d case in America n Germany u used as examples? Is it more taxes that will bring about a more honest, visionary and proactive leadership/government?

So young man, no, Nigeria is unique in this regard and normalcy or change needs to start from the system of governance n public awareness. Taxation is not d way out because of appalling poverty levels. You cannot compare Nigeria n Europe now, it's unfortunate but that's d situation we're in now.

Finally, I have lived n worked in d Uk so I understand d European system at least as far as d Uk is concerned. Your attempt at putting my level of education n exposure down only shows your insecurity n misplaced sense of superiority.

1. You are still making excuses.

2. Using corruption as an excuse is ridiculous to say the least. That is your problem and your problem alone.

3. Nigeria already has the perfect system of government. Because you and almost everyone else in Nigeria don't understand it's concept is no one's problem but yours. Nigeria is a federation. We run the same exact system as the united states where the states have the same powers to generate revenue as the center and to form partnerships for that purpose. Oil has diluted the meaning in the minds of Nigeria. case in point; you.

4. Just because you lived in the U.K does not mean you assimilated anything. Not everyone can comprehend. As evidenced by your argument.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

No National, Governorship Elections Will Hold In Rivers – APC Candidates Vow / Kyari Vs Monguno: Why Buhari Is Not Coming Down Hard On Them / Professor Dora Akunyili's Last Public Speech (Madam Honesty)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.