Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,336 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:00 AM

Nigerians Battled Police In China - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Battled Police In China (5693 Views)

LASTMA Official, Army Cadet & Police In A Brawl In Lagos Today (Pics) / How Bendel Girls Battled Biafra – Ogbemudia / Jonathan Battled Me Because Of N1.9tr Subsidy – Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Battled Police In China by koolchicco: 3:54pm On Aug 31, 2009
Ohineme Ndubisi, a Nigerian in Plaza, Guangzhou, China is one of the unlucky Nigerians daring to escape intense raids by the local Chinese Police on illegal immigrants. Ohineme’s story is a gory one that reminds you of a Hollywood block-burster film.

Realizing that the team of policemen had rounded him up in a corner on the fifth floor of the Market Plaza in Guangzhou, China, he shattered the window glass with his bare hands and dived through it to the ground floor.

As he jumped, a sharp edge of the shattered glass pierced through his stomach, slicing it into two. Surrounded by some policemen who had earlier laid siege to the ground floor, the young Nigerian grilled in pains as blood gushed from his open stomach. Before he was taken to the hospital. The news of his adventurous stunt had attracted a crowed of bewildered passers bye including Nigerians around. 

But Ndubuisi was not the only casualty the Wednesday afternoon of 15th July. Another Nigerian, Chigozie Asukwa, was also badly injured as a result of the raid. Chigozie had hit his head on an iron bar, while scampering through a narrow exit.
Unlike other past raids, the Nigerian community in the small town of Guangzhou would rather not sweep the horrific incident under the carpet. About 2.45pm same day, they gathered in their hundreds and engaged the local police in a free-for-all. More Nigerians were injured.

Chanting the song, “oh my home, oh my home, when shall I see my home…” the Nigerian protesters barricaded a major road in the city. The protest, which caused serious tension was said to have lasted for about four hours before the Chinese Police, after a re-enforcement, over powered the Protesters.
A detailed video footage of the incident was compiled by Foundation for Nigerian Ethics (FINE), an international media organization based in Abuja, and exclusively made available to Daily Sun in Abuja.

Narrating how the incident occurred, Okere who by now was recuperating in a nearby hospital told FINE that, “a friend had called me from Lagos for memory cards. So, I was to go and change the $3,000 he sent to me at the market when the policemen came and rounded me up. The white guy who had my money started running. So, I couldn’t stand to lose two things, my money and then go to jail because my paper is already expired. So I broke the glass and jumped down.”

Another Nigerian Emeka Amobi, 26, had broken his hands in a similar experience on the 3rd of July. Amobi out of fear of being apprehended by the Chinese Immigration Police had jumped down from a 25feet height in a train station in Beijin.
The country Director of FINE, Mr. Titus Ezeugo, who witnessed the Guangzhou riot and who has been on media surveillance on Africans in Asia and Europe for over half a decade, gave an insight into why illegal Nigerian immigrants would rather prefer to jump from any height than be arrested. “It’s important to clearly state that more than half of Nigerians in china are illegal immigrants. The Chinese law is clear on its immigration matters. For instance, citizens of Nigeria, depending on your kind of visa, are not allowed to stay more than two weeks for a business or work visit.

“A minute after two weeks of stay, you would be surcharged 500rmb (about N14, 000). After that, everyday you stay with an expired visa, you are made to pay 500rmb. So some of them are indebted to the tune of 5000rmb, which is the hallmark. If apprehended you would be in an underground cell till you pay your demurrage fee, purchase a return ticket and TC. So where would the person get such money? ”
He said the Chinese authority should not be blamed adding, “Nigerian government must be ready to cater for her people whether they live in Nigeria or not. The Chinese immigration law has trapped many Nigerians who were deceived into travelling to China for greener pasture.”
Ezeugu who averred that the condition of Nigerians in China was precarious and most embarrassing added that many were languishing in penury. He, therefore, charged Nigerian government to spend money on qualitative enlightenment campaign that would redirect the minds of her youths away from what he says is the illusion of going for a greener pasture in China.

“We cannot say because they violated the law, then we would watch them rot away in China. Take recent case of Americans in South Korea. You see that, Clinton, a former President, had to fly to South Korea because of the matter. This is what FINE has been doing and we need the government to show some interest in this”

Ironically, the media practitioner said that while the number of Nigerians travelling to China on a daily basis is still on the increase, majority there want to return home. Collin Chimobi, a Nigerian businessman based in China, told Daily Sun that more than half of Nigerians in China want to come back home.
Meanwhile Daily Sun after frantic efforts to get comments from the Chinese Embassy in Abuja failed due to Embassy protocol, a questionnaire on the incident was posted to the embassy’s official website on Monday, but Daily Sun is yet to get a reply.

However the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Chief Ojo Maduekwe, told Daily Sun that the ministry was fully aware of the incident and has already directed the Nigerian Mission in China to begin discussions with the Chinese authorities on the modalities of getting out of the situation.
The Minister who spoke on the matter through his Director of Communications, Mr. Ayo Olukanmi, appealed to Nigerians in China to be patient as the process of visa issuance to anyone who wants to come back would soon begin.

But the National Human Rights Commission said that it was fully abreast of the matter and has been following it with keen interest. The Director, Public Affairs and Communications, Mr. Muhammad Nasir Ladan told Daily Sun that although the commission is handicapped on the matter as its mandate restricts it to matters within Nigeria, it has begun discussion with the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, Hon. Benilla.

“We are working on the issue to reach a position before we come out with the next line of action. If there is human right violation as it is being alleged, then there are possible steps to take on the matter.”

Sunnewsonline.com

Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by Kingiyke(f): 4:42pm On Aug 31, 2009
The Nigerian government should do something about this.I don´t think China of all countries should humiliate Nigerian citizens  in their country cos most people are there based on wrong information and can´t return home like that empty handed cos some spent their last penny in securing a visa only to get into this mess.Even here in Europe there are so many Chinese who are illegal immigrantes and the authorities here have not treated them that way.they should better scrape off the overstay fine,it is not the best form of generating internal revenue,we know they need money.
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by aaidel(m): 12:54am On Sep 01, 2009
See nigerians dem no see where to go na overpopulated country wey dem no know as dem go do with their own country people talkless of illegal nigerians
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by Nobody: 12:58am On Sep 01, 2009
Kingiyke:

The Nigerian government should do something about this.I don´t think China of all countries should humiliate Nigerian citizens  in their country cos most people are there based on wrong information and can´t return home like that empty handed cos some spent their last penny in securing a visa only to get into this mess.Even here in Europe there are so many Chinese who are illegal immigrantes and the authorities here have not treated them that way.they should better scrape off the overstay fine,it is not the best form of generating internal revenue,we know they need money.
Word!
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by skyone(m): 1:02am On Sep 01, 2009
Very sad sad
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by ifyalways(f): 1:08am On Sep 01, 2009
Kingiyke:

haha,i cant help but laff.
Their laws are very clear,its either you stick with it or keep your butts at home.lol
Sad news still visit the travel section,ppl are still willing to sell off everything they have just to migrate to China . . . .are we just deaf or  undecided
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by Bay1970(m): 1:25am On Sep 01, 2009
My God, what is Nigerians doing in China of all places.
Chinese is known for breaking other country immgration laws, using cargo containers
to ship their citizens to the United States. I am disturbed what a Nigerian will be doing
in China. Shame to the Nigerian Government.
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by THEAMAKA(f): 1:59am On Sep 01, 2009
i am expecting nuzo to come now! lol
grin

lets see what he has to say about this, nonsense! tongue
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by JAZES(m): 2:04am On Sep 01, 2009
My hearts bleed as i go thru this and it makes me wonder when our government will ever wake up to its responsibilities.
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by sjeezy8: 2:27am On Sep 01, 2009
The hell i dont know what is wrong wit deez guys going to china spain and SA just to get beat up by foreign people

deez guys can get der asses beat at home
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by dinggle: 3:06am On Sep 01, 2009
This is where basic education comes to play, the chinese govt is saying know to Nigerians and these guys are disturbing the peace of the Land, are they from china??, If they apply the same energy in Nigeria they can drive the criminic politicians out of Abuja and send Yaradua to go and die in his state rather than using is illness to reduce the pace of development in the country, they cant fight at home, only to do shakara oversea,

See trouble oh! na by force country say dem no want una, una say e too late dem for tell una before una enter, begin they quote yeye United nation law wen no dey applicable to all nations. The chinese govt should round them all up and deal with them accordingly. This is really silly. If they truely seek special passes to come back to Nigeria, they should all go to the Nigeria embassy and stay there until the Nigeria govt sort it out wit their chinese counterpart , nonsense.

These are thesame people who went to Singapore and shit there, they went to Malaysia and shit there, they went to Indonesia and shit there, they went to Vietnam and shit there, they went to India and shit there, they went to Cambodia and shit there, they went to Laos and shit there, they went to Thailand and shit, they went to Japan and shit there, there went to Korea and shit there, they went to Hong Kong and shit there, they went to fuji Island and shit there now is China's turn!
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by maedan(f): 3:27am On Sep 01, 2009
Very sad and desperate situation. People should respect their lives over any property/money. Jumping to the ground floor etc, risking his life when his family at home in Nigeria will not gain anything from him if he dies. Come to think of it, China have their own overflowing markets in Nigeria, Lagos especially with the shoddy architecture of their so-called China town. I don't believe all of them came into Nigeria legally. There should be equal respect btw both countries, is all I'm saying.
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by AjaraEwuro: 3:35am On Sep 01, 2009
You guys fail to think and all you do is apportion blames on the Nigerian government - someone knows the repercussion of his or her offence, yet he/she goes ahead to commit the offence, and instead of berating him/her, you all sit hear saying the government should do something, something like what? Dont these guys know how badly they dent the image of Nigeria? Yet, you want the same Nigeria to help them? Is Nigeria the only country in the world? Why is it that anywhere we go, we leave trade marks of looting, destruction, senseless anomaly and great potential for the absurd? why why why?
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by THEAMAKA(f): 3:39am On Sep 01, 2009
everything na blame game. tongue
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by SeanT21(f): 3:46am On Sep 01, 2009
Obey the law or deal with the penalty.
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by Ifygurl: 4:00am On Sep 01, 2009
This is a Sad article.  True that but it's all those people faults.  They assumed China na safe haven. Everyone in Naija assume everywhere else in the world is perfect except for Naija.  They see am.
oh well, if they are that desperate to return home, why not allow the Chinese government to catch them and send them back.  Why run away?
Abeg, if you are that desperate STOP RUNNING AWAY. Allow them to capture you and deport your ass home.  Simple as that or does China kill illegal immigrants?  Chinese are notorious of doing the most inhumane act in the world.
Damn, Nigerians we love blaming our government for everything. Haba, this time it's not there fault----wetin you want them to do? Go to war with china because some Nigerians went illegal(a crime) to their country?
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by adaku123(f): 4:09am On Sep 01, 2009
SeanT21:

Obey the law or deal with the penalty.
Totally Agree!!! Do they think they are in Nigeria!!! They should quit the whining!!! The chinese constantly break the human rights laws for thier own people--- Is it now Nigerians they will treat properly!!! Abeg Let Us hear Word!!!
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by PurestBoy(m): 5:07am On Sep 01, 2009
adaku123:

Totally Agree!!! Do they think they are in Nigeria!!! They should quit the whining!!! The chinese constantly break the human rights laws for thier own people--- Is it now Nigerians they will treat properly!!! Abeg Let Us hear Word!!!

You and i know that all fingers are not equal and what has the country done for the jobless youths??
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by princekevo(m): 5:37am On Sep 01, 2009
Actually what Nigerians are doing in that Guanzhou is very hurrible even to themselves,
That is why the chinese Government kept on their repeated raiding there,
You cant imagine where Nigerian kills his fellow Nigerian only to sell his kidney to a chinese man, Drug trafficking,
419, and all illegal shits in Guanzhou there Name them.
They slughter themselve on the process of sharing money from their illegal deal
The government hospital are being flooded with Nigerian casulties from such incedent,

I cant imagin a Nigerian killing and disecting his his follow Nigerian stomach becoz he could not pass out the Nonesense called goods he has in his stomach,
Now they have all the cults in Nigeria there in Gaungzhou, killing themselves here and there, Maltreating their fellow Nigerian with heavy beaten in the name of Mending your mess ups.

The Truth still remains that Nigerians have been going and living there for along time without all these trouble, Sometimes I do blame Chinese government on that coz they granted them such an arms lenght to commit these atrocities, and Nigerians there took the opportunity giving to them for a ride and started abusing the law, leavinf life like beast
Now the chinese are saying No to it and want to put an end to it so i don't see anything wrong with it,

Am so sad anyways for the dead who might be an innocent poor guy, but The chinese police didnt push him down from Upstairs,

The whole world Knows that chinese laws are very harsh even to their own citizens, infact they made the punishment to these laws strong becoz of the way average chinese would like to break the law.
I cant imagine thousands of chinese men and women from mainland overstaying and working Illegally in Macau here,
where as it took them only abt 16Naira equivallent to take a bus and cross to china.
Since early this year the Macau govt. is raiding seriousely on them and handing them over to the Mainland immigration where they face the same penalty as foreigners do in china there.
So we shouldnt blame the chinese government for anything, though we all know is one most wicked government on earth that respects no human right.
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by Nobody: 6:21am On Sep 01, 2009
THE AMAKA:

i am expecting nuzo to come now! lol
grin

lets see what he has to say about this, nonsense!  tongue

Lunatic, this is what I have to say:

princekevo:

Actually what Nigerians are doing in that Guanzhou is very hurrible even to themselves,
That is why the chinese Government kept on their repeated raiding there,
You cant imagine where Nigerian kills his fellow Nigerian only to sell his kidney to a chinese man, Drug trafficking,
419, and all illegal shits in Guanzhou there Name them.
They slughter themselve on the process of sharing money from their illegal deal
The government hospital are being flooded with Nigerian casulties from such incedent,

I cant imagin a Nigerian killing and disecting his his follow Nigerian stomach becoz he could not pass out the Nonesense called goods he has in his stomach, 
Now they have all the cults in Nigeria there in Gaungzhou, killing themselves here and there, Maltreating their fellow Nigerian with heavy beaten in the name of Mending your mess ups.

The Truth still remains that Nigerians have been going and living there for along time without all these trouble, Sometimes I do blame Chinese government on that coz they granted them such an arms lenght to commit these atrocities, and Nigerians there took the opportunity giving to them for a ride and started abusing the law, leavinf life like beast
Now the chinese are saying No to it and want to put an end to it so i don't see anything wrong with it,

Am so sad anyways for the dead who might be an innocent poor guy, but The chinese police didnt push him down from Upstairs,

The whole world Knows that chinese laws are very harsh even to their own citizens, infact they made the punishment to these laws strong becoz of the way average chinese would like to break the law.
I cant imagine thousands of chinese men and women from mainland overstaying and working Illegally in Macau here,
where as it took them only abt 16Naira equivallent to take a bus and cross to china.
Since early this year the Macau govt. is raiding seriousely on them and handing them over to the Mainland immigration where they face the same penalty as foreigners do in china there.
So we shouldnt blame the chinese government for anything, though we all know is one most wicked government on earth that respects no human right.
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by THEAMAKA(f): 6:27am On Sep 01, 2009
nuzo you are next!!  grin
SHM!
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by Nobody: 6:38am On Sep 01, 2009
THE AMAKA:

nuzo you are next!!  grin
SHM!

I bind you mamiwater in Jesus name!

Did anybody tell you am a tout, a drug peddler or an illegal immigrant?
You should know that most people being harassed in that horrible city are not even illegal immigrants but drug dealers.

Just leave me alone, I dont want a lunatic for a girlfriend. I have made it clear to you several times!!! sad
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by THEAMAKA(f): 6:42am On Sep 01, 2009
ewwww i wouldnt date your ish self anyway
HMMMMM what an insult.

and to think i would ever want you, LORD HAVE MERCY!!   angry
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by MUZBO(m): 6:42am On Sep 01, 2009
Those guys don dey watch Chinese movies too much to be diving through windows; dem no know say na film trick? There's little the Nigerian govt can do because the law is the law. We have plenty chinese here too and if they break our laws we'll fall on them hard except of course if they can bribe us first. Let those guys just come home and preserve the little dignity we have left there.
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by chidyke77(m): 6:45am On Sep 01, 2009
The worst part of it is that some of them hav bn doing a lucrative business in Nigeria and still nt satisfied, they abandoned d biznes and sold evrytin off to make up capital to travel out, nt only china bt South Africa too.
However,we hav some living legally in china 4 good purposes. I knw of a biznes man in nigeria and he imports frm china,bt wat he did was to send his younger brother to china as an exporter to him which is nw yielding much revenue to them.
Pls we shuldnt blame majority of them cos they were there nt 4 illegal jobs bt 2 act as an intermidiary btwen d manufacturers in china and importers in nigeria. These chinese knw hw much d are making frm nigerian importers thats why d are blocking d gap, because allowing them to stay wl b detrimental to them,and trust our naija guys,d cn learn chinese language fast and once they did,those chinese dat act as middlemen btwen d manufacturers and nigeria importers wl nw b getting lesser patronage compare to naija chinese.
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by texazzpete(m): 7:09am On Sep 01, 2009
As far as i'm concerned, people should obey the lawas of the country they live in, or STFU.
Why should the Nigerian Government spend our taxpayers' money to 'bring these people home'? Let the Chinese govt put them to work until they can cough up the money to return back under their own steam.
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by frag(m): 7:52am On Sep 01, 2009
Suffer suffer for world,
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by GoldCircle: 7:52am On Sep 01, 2009
How many times we don tell these boyz to come home! Dem no dey hear word! Leave dem countri for dem if dem no want u there!Haba!
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by Nobody: 8:01am On Sep 01, 2009
Why are they all Ibo men
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by Douglasdale(m): 8:25am On Sep 01, 2009
The AMAKA and Nuzo, I have got my eyes on e both of u. NUZO! Do come back Naija befor Chinese Immigration police go pursue u e entire length of e Great Wall! AMAKA Needs u! Lol
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by Nobody: 8:27am On Sep 01, 2009
ziddy:

Why are they all Ibo men

You are so wrong!
I cant describe my experiences with other tribes to avoid being labelled a tribalist.

That not withstanding, Igbos are in the majority of the "jumpers". A large chunk of the Igbos are also the ones with legitimate papers, credible and massive businesses.
The business these guys (legal and illegal immigrants) transact in Guangzhou city is massive and very important to the Chinese.

China cannot afford to lose them, hence why they keep giving them visa to come over and wont ship the illegal immigrants back home once and for all.
Re: Nigerians Battled Police In China by azeeza(f): 8:36am On Sep 01, 2009
so dishearthen. cry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nairaland Politics Section Hall Of Fame/shame - 2011 Induction / Can We Give Buhari A Try? / Rochas Okorocha Advertises Himself On CNN. Imo People Still Owed Salaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.