Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,031 members, 7,818,046 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:56 AM

If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? (41045 Views)

"For Better For Worse" Is It Supposed To Be Used During Vow? / Polygamy - Insatiable Desire For Multiple Wives / Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by femi4: 5:31am On Jun 22, 2016
ettaetta:
God hates divorce why would you suggest that when he paid all their bride price
You keep shouting "God hate divorce" and quoting scripture out of context

The scripture is clear, God hate divorce between One man and one woman
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by blacq2009(m): 5:35am On Jun 22, 2016
ettaetta:
is polygamy not a sin?
Says who?
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by dTruth101: 5:40am On Jun 22, 2016
All I see here is CONFUSION, great CONFUSION!

Christianity is a manmade religion, not God's because God is not an author of CONFUSION.

Christianity is a religion of IGNORANCE for the IGNORANT!

I rather prefer BUDDHISM because it has direct solutions to such simple societal problems.

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by mytym1: 5:43am On Jun 22, 2016
lilmax:
If a girl looses her virginity and becomes a christain what is she supposed to do? grin
To plan for second virginity
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by ussy09(m): 5:51am On Jun 22, 2016
ettaetta:
i dont really understand ? If a man has multiple wives before he becomes a Christian, what is he supposed to do? Divorce others and marry only the first? Dont forget divorce is a sin
divorce! who will den marry dem? wer husband scares soo
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by joshk(m): 5:58am On Jun 22, 2016
divorce the rest and pay dem off sith their children then only live with the one he marry legally.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by eph12(m): 6:05am On Jun 22, 2016
justmenoni:
Even if she's not the legal wife?

quote author=eph12 post=46762935]Christianity recognises the first wife as the legitimate wife
Lol. Is she's not legitimately married then how can you call her a wife?
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by femi4: 6:21am On Jun 22, 2016
Talk2nanro:
u have shallow understanding. a woman that has a husband that is married to 5 women, is he still not husband to each of them. you refer to a scripture that does not have a direct answer to the issue . now let me give u an eye opener, from what is written in 1 Timothy 3 vs 2, u can deduce that there were polygamist within the christian faith but for the post of bishop, a polygamist should not fill the role.
Stop adding to the scripture. Why trying to deduce what is not expressly written or found "A polygamist should not fit the role is different from "We have polygamist among you"
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by eph12(m): 6:22am On Jun 22, 2016
Brightgem:
kikikikikkki why the aggressiveness, If u be pastor naso u go vex its a delicate matter and there has to b an answer. One that solves this justly. what if they all become Christians, what if he married them the same day.
What if they all become Christian is inconsequential. In fact he is not leaving them because they are not.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 6:36am On Jun 22, 2016
Iseoluwani:

If polygamy z not adultery, plz what z it.? ? Because what will make a man take news wives if not greed. Or don't u know polygamy came out of the will of a man that z selfish n to avoid insults decides to marry again to consume it on his sexual lust

I think polygamy z a term to make light or simple the word adultery

You are redefining Adultery on your own terms and not according to scripture. Polygamy is not borne out of greed, it is a natural phenomenon that happens because it does.

I would rather listen to the scripture than religious folk, and scripture refers to Adultery in the context of divorce or putting away one's wife. The bible also says " thou shall not covet they neighbor's wife " , it does not make a reference to marrying another wife. Remember that this was part of the ten commandments where God did not provide any restriction on how many wives a man can/should marry.

Even Moses who God praised very highly had 3 wives.

Note : My aim is not to promote the marrying of more than one wife but to debunk the erroneous notion that a man who has four wives before coming to know the truth must chase away the last 3 wives and stay with the first, this is so so wrong and is actually promoting anarchy , chaos, confusion and creating children without a father and women who can never marry again because anyone who marries them is committing adultery, yet you will say that God never recognised their marriages in the first place, but how do you know ?? Why are you religious folk so presumptuous and judgemental like the pharisees ?

2 Likes

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by justmenoni: 6:39am On Jun 22, 2016
See you: so legally you can marry more than one wife abi??

eph12:

Lol. Is she's not legitimately married then how can you call her a wife?
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 6:40am On Jun 22, 2016
femi4:
You keep shouting "God hate divorce" and quoting scripture out of context

The scripture is clear, God hate divorce between One man and one woman

Again ENGLISH seems to be the main problem with your misinterpretation of scripture. God hating divorces does not infer that he is against a man marrying more than one woman.

It is only in the last few hundred years that this European concept of one man and one woman has taking preeminence over other cultures.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by fansy: 6:42am On Jun 22, 2016
All victims of Polygamy should Restitute not divorce! Your union with them was never ordained by God, so set them free but with you responsible for the children's welfare.(Take a cue from Abraham) Your first LOVE is your wife even if a Witch, pray for her.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by W3irDo: 6:45am On Jun 22, 2016
Chaze off his wives eksept the first one
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by doll912(f): 6:47am On Jun 22, 2016
ettaetta:
is polygamy not a sin?
It was one man and one wife. Even before the coming of Jesus. Perversions made one man take more wives.

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 6:48am On Jun 22, 2016
fansy:
All victims of Polygamy should Restitute not divorce! Your union with them was never ordained by God, so set them free but with you responsible for the children's welfare.(Take a cue from Abraham) Your first LOVE is your wife even if a Witch, pray for her.

did God tell you this in a dream ?? cheesy
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by doll912(f): 6:50am On Jun 22, 2016
frosbel2:

Again ENGLISH seems to be the main problem with your misinterpretation of scripture. God hating divorces does not infer that he is against a man marrying more than one woman.

It is only in the last few hundred years that this European concept of one man and one woman has taking preeminence over other cultures.

My dear read your Bible well ooo. It was one man, one woman. "Therefore s man would leave his father and mother and cleave to the wife(not wives)... it's not about the Europeans. It's just perversion of man.

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by doll912(f): 6:52am On Jun 22, 2016
lilmax:
If a girl looses her virginity and becomes a christain what is she supposed to do? grin

The same thing s man who loses his virginity does. Remember you are both fornicators.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 6:54am On Jun 22, 2016
doll912:

My dear read your Bible well ooo. It was one man, one woman. "Therefore s man would leave his father and mother and cleave to the wife(not wives)... it's not about the Europeans. It's just perversion of man.

Okay, so Moses , David, Abraham , Jacob and Ezra to name a few , were all 'PERVERTS' .

And your forefathers who did not hear about Christ till almost 1,500 years after his death were all 'PERVERTS' and 'ADULTERERS'

My friend go and sit down.... cool
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by doll912(f): 6:54am On Jun 22, 2016
histemple:

We may need to ask why King Dave and Solo were God's most loved people in bible history if polygamy was a sin.
They were loved.... but it was a sin. They weren't the most righteous and Solomon's polygamy gradually removed him from God's favour. The kingdom if Isreal was divided after he died. And his son got the smaller share.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 6:56am On Jun 22, 2016
Abra4real:
Okay, let me chip in at this point. Among all those replies above me, I haven't seen any that answered it very well. Note that I'm not replying to fight or argue (fact check, if you quote me, I won't reply, except when necessary e.g. answering a thought-provoking question), I'm actually replying to adhere to what the Bible tells me.

Jude 3 says, Beloved when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnest contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

First, someone mentioned that God hates divorce. Here's the verse to back that up: Malachi 2 vs 14-16:

14 Yet ye say, Wherefore? Because the LORD hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt treacherously: yet yet she is thy companion, and the wife of thine covenant.

15 And did not make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.

16 For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away [of your wife, which is divorce]: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.

Did you notice the part that says God hates putting away? For God to say that, there must be something at stake. Because clearly, in Matthew 5 vs 22, But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgement...

Even hating your fellow human isn't allowed. But you should also notice that God didn't say I hate the person. He simply hates putting away.

About having multiple wifes, hear it from the horses' mouth, in Matthew 19 vs 9, And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, COMMITTED ADULTERY: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Now, I read some comments that said what if a whole village got saved and were extremely polygamous? Well, you have to know that the God we serve, the Alpha and the Omega does not change (Malachi 3 vs 6, For I am the LORD, I change not...) and even if the whole world says they don't want to change, he won't change his words.

Many people think we just go to church, sing, carry Bible on Sundays, wear suit and tie, and say "God bless you" on our way to church. For your information, it's more than that. If you can't live with that simple fact, then I'm afraid you're not yet serious.

In the Biblical sense, a first wife is only recognized. Think about this for a moment. When someone is getting married, the vow says, Till Death Do You Part. What do you think that means?

Only after a partner dies does the other partner has the freedom... TO MARRY ANOTHER PERSON... TO HAVE SEX WITH ANOTHER PERSON. Chikena.

So, if death hasn't done them apart, forget about it.

Now, somebody says what if they were married the same day. You mean, simultaneously? As in, each wife stands at the altar and were consenting to the marriage? That's obvious now. The first woman that takes the vow is the real wife.

Some people still don't give a hoot about what I wrote, but they are the first that will carry the news when the likes of Pastor Kumuyi, of all people, makes a mistake (God forbid!)

They'll go, "Ah! Come and see! The holy-holy preacher has done something. He was caught redhanded."

Now the man decides to remarry because death has parted the union he has with his former wife and these same people groaned, "Ah-an! What is it with this pastor sef? Na only him waka come?"

People ehn!

Exactly.. I heard pastor Chris is back with his wife o but the media won't carry the news.. No.. It's when something bad happens.. Forgetting that the pastor is also a human.. May God give people understanding of the pattern of Christ.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 6:56am On Jun 22, 2016
doll912:

They were loved.... but it was a sin. They weren't the most righteous and Solomon's polygamy gradually removed him from God's favour. The kingdom if Isreal was divided after he died. And his son got the smaller share.

Nope, David, Jacob, Abraham to name a few were all righteous before God, in fact Abraham who slept with his slave was called a friend of God.

God's anger with Solomon was because he went after HEATHEN WOMEN and to be fair he married far too many , not because he married more than one wife.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by eph12(m): 6:59am On Jun 22, 2016
justmenoni:
See you: so legally you can marry more than one wife abi??

Well I consider traditional wedding rites as legitimate too.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 7:03am On Jun 22, 2016
Nathan Rebukes David
…Nathan then said to David, "You are the man! Thus says the LORD God of Israel, 'It is I who anointed you king over Israel and it is I who delivered you from the hand of Saul. I also gave you your master's house and your master's wives into your care, and I gave you the house of Israel and Judah; and if that had been too little, I would have added to you many more things like these! 9'
2 Samuel 12:7,8.

Here Nathan is stating a fact that it is God who blessed David with many wives among other things ;
"also gave you your master's house and your master's wives into your care" .

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by eph12(m): 7:07am On Jun 22, 2016
frosbel2:

God hates stealing lying murder adultery but he is not against them in your opinion right? As interpreted to you by the holy spirit?
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 7:08am On Jun 22, 2016
Anyone who claims God is against Polygamy is either a liar or doesn't know his or her bible.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by phillip001(m): 7:09am On Jun 22, 2016
My questions are,
1) If you put away because of adultery so you can re-marry abi.
2)Matthew 19:is about Marriage and Divorce,not polygamy.
3)What is one finds out that one's partner is impotent or does not a womb,what will be the solution?
4)What about domestic violence to point of death.

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 7:11am On Jun 22, 2016
phillip001:
My questions are,
3)What is one finds out that one's partner is impotent or does not a womb,what will be the solution?

My friend, the SO CALLED CHURCH is the reason why there is so much sexual immorality in the land and so many unmarried women. Their doctrine is so evil that it could never have come from a loving God.

They bind people with heavy burdens - like telling a married women to restitute and leave her husband irrespective of the chaos and confusion it will cause to the children - and then the bible says these pharisees after having judged you , will not life a finger to help alleviate your burdens.

"They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people's shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them." - Matthew 23:4

You asked very valid questions.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by phillip001(m): 7:11am On Jun 22, 2016
My questions are,
Abra4real:
Okay, let me chip in at this point. Among all those replies above me, I haven't seen any that answered it very well. Note that I'm not replying to fight or argue (fact check, if you quote me, I won't reply, except when necessary e.g. answering a thought-provoking question), I'm actually replying to adhere to what the Bible tells me.

Jude 3 says, Beloved when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnest contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

First, someone mentioned that God hates divorce. Here's the verse to back that up: Malachi 2 vs 14-16:

14 Yet ye say, Wherefore? Because the LORD hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt treacherously: yet yet she is thy companion, and the wife of thine covenant.

15 And did not make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.

16 For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away [of your wife, which is divorce]: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.

Did you notice the part that says God hates putting away? For God to say that, there must be something at stake. Because clearly, in Matthew 5 vs 22, But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgement...

Even hating your fellow human isn't allowed. But you should also notice that God didn't say I hate the person. He simply hates putting away.

About having multiple wifes, hear it from the horses' mouth, in Matthew 19 vs 9, And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, COMMITTED ADULTERY: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Now, I read some comments that said what if a whole village got saved and were extremely polygamous? Well, you have to know that the God we serve, the Alpha and the Omega does not change (Malachi 3 vs 6, For I am the LORD, I change not...) and even if the whole world says they don't want to change, he won't change his words.

Many people think we just go to church, sing, carry Bible on Sundays, wear suit and tie, and say "God bless you" on our way to church. For your information, it's more than that. If you can't live with that simple fact, then I'm afraid you're not yet serious.

In the Biblical sense, a first wife is only recognized. Think about this for a moment. When someone is getting married, the vow says, Till Death Do You Part. What do you think that means?

Only after a partner dies does the other partner has the freedom... TO MARRY ANOTHER PERSON... TO HAVE SEX WITH ANOTHER PERSON. Chikena.

So, if death hasn't done them apart, forget about it.

Now, somebody says what if they were married the same day. You mean, simultaneously? As in, each wife stands at the altar and were consenting to the marriage? That's obvious now. The first woman that takes the vow is the real wife.

Some people still don't give a hoot about what I wrote, but they are the first that will carry the news when the likes of Pastor Kumuyi, of all people, makes a mistake (God forbid!)

They'll go, "Ah! Come and see! The holy-holy preacher has done something. He was caught redhanded."

Now the man decides to remarry because death has parted the union he has with his former wife and these same people groaned, "Ah-an! What is it with this pastor sef? Na only him waka come?"

People ehn!
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by nairalandankrah: 7:18am On Jun 22, 2016
searchng4love:
where did the Christ call his followers slaves to himself?....Chapter and verse? And please do not quote Paul.

. i guess you're a moslem. because from your comment, its apparent you do not have the slightest regard for someone who upon conversion, dedicated the entirety of his life to the work & service of jesus christ.to the point of being killed & beheaded and matyred for the sake of christ.. if you aren't a moslem,then you ought to believe Gods word & take it as it is.that's the mindset of a true xtian. (read romans 6 vs 16) if you care. but if you wanna kip arguing,ur on your own.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by omogidi234(m): 7:19am On Jun 22, 2016
ettaetta:
i dont really understand ? If a man has multiple wives before he becomes a Christian, what is he supposed to do? Divorce others and marry only the first? Dont forget divorce is a sin

First and foremeost, I will like to inform you that If you have two or more wives, you cannot be accepted to have legally married all of them. What happens is that you are legally married to one and the rest may be under customs and religion. If you however, claim that you are legally married to all them, THAT IS BIGAMY. It is punishable under the Nigerian Law. It is just that most times our laws are not enforced. But Bigamy is really punishable in the UK where we copied almost 80-90 % of our laws- The English Law. Flowing from the fact that you cannot be legally married to all of them, it also means you cannot divorce them. "Nemo dat quod non habet"- you cannot give what you don't have. The best thing to do in this circumstance is to sit all of them down, explain to them the situation, retain the first (and ensure that she is legally married) and get an apartment for the rest. Continue to meet the needs including upkeep, school fees but stop every sexual relationship with them. You can even put them in your Will. But only the first should be under the same roof with you and must be legally married. This is my submission.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by DipoDee: 7:35am On Jun 22, 2016
eph12:
Christianity recognises the first wife as the legitimate wife

....erm, an older woman somewhere in Surulere went raging mad and mentally unstable because her husband joined DLBC, discarded her cos she was his second wife and went back to his first wife. She was left with 6 kids and nothing in the bank.

...religion na.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

Reverend King's Birthday Celebrated On Newspaper By His Church Members (Photos) / What Nigerians Think Of People Who Do NOT Believe In God? / Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Not Marry Other ' Christians '?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.