Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? (41037 Views)

"For Better For Worse" Is It Supposed To Be Used During Vow? / Polygamy - Insatiable Desire For Multiple Wives / Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by searchng4love: 11:57pm On Jun 21, 2016
you are misleading others in ignorance, Christ said and I quote about your venture that
"If anyone causes one of these little ones--those who believe in me--to stumble, it would be better for them if a large millstone were hung around their neck and they were thrown into the sea" Mark 9:42

eph12:

Yea I accept too. Any other that needs acceptance too? Just mention me and I will gladly accept o. No strength to argue anything religion.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by pee777(m): 11:58pm On Jun 21, 2016
nairalandankrah:
Dearest, A True Christian Knows That Christianity Is Serious Business, And That Jesus Christ Meant All That He Said And Thaught..We Believe That We Were Bought With His Precious Blood And So We Are Slaves To Him And Him Alone. As Such, We Are DUTY BOUND to do HIS will WHATEVER THE COST..going to heaven is not SHAWARMA AND ICE CREAM neither is it a JOURNEY for the lazy and undetermined. its a journey for the SINCERE, FAITHFULL, AND OBEDIENT.

So God created humans to burn in hell abi? What then is the work of redemption and salvation? So the death and resurrection of Christ is of no importance if entering heaven is an herculean task? Pls study your Bible well, read romans, Hebrews and Corinthian for proper knowledge.

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by searchng4love: 11:58pm On Jun 21, 2016
is there a chapter and verse like that in the bible?
eph12:

It means exactly what it means
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by IyfeNamikaze(m): 11:59pm On Jun 21, 2016
Abra4real:
Okay, let me chip in at this point. Among all those replies above me, I haven't seen any that answered it very well. Note that I'm not replying to fight or argue (fact check, if you quote me, I won't reply, except when necessary e.g. answering a thought-provoking question), I'm actually replying to adhere to what the Bible tells me.

Jude 3 says, Beloved when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnest contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

First, someone mentioned that God hates divorce. Here's the verse to back that up: Malachi 2 vs 14-16:

14 Yet ye say, Wherefore? Because the LORD hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt treacherously: yet yet she is thy companion, and the wife of thine covenant.

15 And did not make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.

16 For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away [of your wife, which is divorce]: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.

Did you notice the part that says God hates putting away? For God to say that, there must be something at stake. Because clearly, in Matthew 5 vs 22, But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgement...

Even hating your fellow human isn't allowed. But you should also notice that God didn't say I hate the person. He simply hates putting away.

About having multiple wifes, hear it from the horses' mouth, in Matthew 19 vs 9, And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, COMMITTED ADULTERY: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Now, I read some comments that said what if a whole village got saved and were extremely polygamous? Well, you have to know that the God we serve, the Alpha and the Omega does not change (Malachi 3 vs 6, For I am the LORD, I change not...) and even if the whole world says they don't want to change, he won't change his words.

Many people think we just go to church, sing, carry Bible on Sundays, wear suit and tie, and say "God bless you" on our way to church. For your information, it's more than that. If you can't live with that simple fact, then I'm afraid you're not yet serious.

In the Biblical sense, a first wife is only recognized. Think about this for a moment. When someone is getting married, the vow says, Till Death Do You Part. What do you think that means?

Only after a partner dies does the other partner has the freedom... TO MARRY ANOTHER PERSON... TO HAVE SEX WITH ANOTHER PERSON. Chikena.

So, if death hasn't done them apart, forget about it.

Now, somebody says what if they were married the same day. You mean, simultaneously? As in, each wife stands at the altar and were consenting to the marriage? That's obvious now. The first woman that takes the vow is the real wife.

Some people still don't give a hoot about what I wrote, but they are the first that will carry the news when the likes of Pastor Kumuyi, of all people, makes a mistake (God forbid!)

They'll go, "Ah! Come and see! The holy-holy preacher has done something. He was caught redhanded."

Now the man decides to remarry because death has parted the union he has with his former wife and these same people groaned, "Ah-an! What is it with this pastor sef? Na only him waka come?"

People ehn!
you are trying to be smart by half

"About having multiple wifes, hear it from the horses' mouth, in Matthew 19 vs 9, And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, EXCEPT it be for FORNICATION and shall marry another, committed adulatory and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery"

this place is crystal clear. According to what is written here, you can divorce your wife is she fornicates. read that place again.

And no where in the bible did God condemn polygamy. stop putting the word upside down!!

2 Likes

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by eph12(m): 12:00am On Jun 22, 2016
searchng4love:
you are misleading others in ignorance, Christ said and I quote about your venture that
"If anyone causes one of these little ones--those who believe in me--to stumble, it would be better for them if a large millstone were hung around their neck and they were thrown into the sea" Mark 9:42

OK! CoolCool wink
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by eph12(m): 12:01am On Jun 22, 2016
searchng4love:
is there a chapter and verse like that in the bible?
grin
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by searchng4love: 12:07am On Jun 22, 2016
where did the Christ call his followers slaves to himself?....Chapter and verse? And please do not quote Paul.

nairalandankrah:
Dearest, A True Christian Knows That Christianity Is Serious Business, And That Jesus Christ Meant All That He Said And Thaught..We Believe That We Were Bought With His Precious Blood And So We Are Slaves To Him And Him Alone. As Such, We Are DUTY BOUND to do HIS will WHATEVER THE COST..going to heaven is not SHAWARMA AND ICE CREAM neither is it a JOURNEY for the lazy and undetermined. its a journey for the SINCERE, FAITHFULL, AND OBEDIENT.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by achorladey: 12:07am On Jun 22, 2016
Do you know that divorce as recorded in the bible is divided into two. legal divorce and illegal divorce? Please explain.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Organs(m): 12:08am On Jun 22, 2016
mrZENographer:

Matthew 19:4-6
And it is mandatory, if he must make heaven. It is preached every service in my church.

This bible verse does not answer the question, pls understand the question asked, and if you dont know say you dont know period, and not cause more confusion.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by searchng4love: 12:11am On Jun 22, 2016
mrZENographer:

Matthew 19:4-6
And it is mandatory, if he must make heaven. It is preached every service in my church.
Matthew 19:4-6, 4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’[a] 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’[b]? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”
which one are you quoting?
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Amicable24: 12:17am On Jun 22, 2016
ettaetta:
is polygamy not a sin?
My dear, can u please show d place in the Bible where it is written that 'polygamy' is a sin undecided I dnt think I've come across that part
Back to the topic, since he's already married to more than one wife, he should remain with dem..
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by searchng4love: 12:19am On Jun 22, 2016
he can even marry them after knowing Christ.

Amicable24:

My dear, can u please show d place in the Bible where it is written that 'polygamy' is a sin undecided I dnt think I've come across that part
Back to the topic, since he's already married to more than one wife, he should remain with dem..
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by ojabel(m): 12:20am On Jun 22, 2016
[quote author=Abra4real post=46767965]Okay, let me chip in at this point. Among all those replies above me, I haven't seen any that answered it very well. Note that I'm not replying to fight or argue (fact check, if you quote me, I won't reply, except when necessary e.g. answering a thought-provoking question), I'm actually replying to adhere to what the Bible tells me.

Jude 3 says, Beloved when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnest contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

First, someone mentioned that God hates divorce. Here's the verse to back that up: Malachi 2 vs 14-16:

14 Yet ye say, Wherefore? Because the LORD hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt treacherously: yet yet she is thy companion, and the wife of thine covenant.

15 And did not make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.

16 For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away [of your wife, which is divorce]: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.

Did you notice the part that says God hates putting away? For God to say that, there must be something at stake. Because clearly, in Matthew 5 vs 22, But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgement...

Even hating your fellow human isn't allowed. But you should also notice that God didn't say I hate the person. He simply hates putting away.

About having multiple wifes, hear it from the horses' mouth, in Matthew 19 vs 9, And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, COMMITTED ADULTERY: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Bro, in my own thinking, I would say you succeeded in adding more burden to a man whom Jesus has died for. I think you did a good job by crucifying him under the law.

But what about grace? You see, the question the OP asked is a very sensitive one which requires simple wisdom from the scriptures to handle.

1. Jesus paid for all sinners (including the polygamous) with his blood.
2. Although the sin has been forgiven some will still have to live with certain consequences of their sin i.e abortion that resulted to damaged of womb, polygamy, child out of wedlock etc.

To answer the OP:
The man has to remain with is many wives even though he's now a christian. There is no place in the bible that says a man with many wives should not serve God. The bible only forbade such from leading the Church.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Amicable24: 12:20am On Jun 22, 2016
eph12:
Christianity recognises the first wife as the legitimate wife
Pls my dear, dnt say what u are not sure of.. Pls give us Scriptural passage(s) for ur assertion undecided
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 12:22am On Jun 22, 2016
[quote author=ojabel post=46801118][/quote]

English seems to be your problem.

The bible condemns 'putting away' not marrying another wife, read matt 19:9 again...
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by searchng4love: 12:24am On Jun 22, 2016
ojabel:
The man has to remain with is many wives even though he's now a christian. There is no place in the bible that says a man with many wives should not serve God. The bible only forbade such from leading the Church.

they do NOT know.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by tranxo(m): 12:24am On Jun 22, 2016
frosbel2:

You are taking this position because you have been indoctrinated with European culture where sexual immorality prevails at it's very worst.

In other words, you have condemned almost 90% of your ancestors as serial adulterers , and I am talking about almost 2000 years ago when many of them had not even heard about Christ.

This is the same way the white man has brainwashed you and your church people to esteem a white wedding as more significant than our traditional wedding and so without a white wedding , the marriage is almost considered incomplete.

Polygamy is a historic fact and has never been condemned by God in an explicit manner so stop lying.
Sorry, I forgot to do something first. Are you a Christian?
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by eph12(m): 12:24am On Jun 22, 2016
Amicable24:

Pls my dear, dnt say what u are not sure of.. Pls give us Scriptural passage(s) for ur assertion undecided
I won't even bother. If you have been a Christian and you know or were told otherwise it's OK.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by searchng4love: 12:25am On Jun 22, 2016
you are a liar, a fraud, an anti Christ who only peddles rumours and strive to lead people astray from the path of Christ.

eph12:

I won't even bother. If you have been a Christian and you know or were told otherwise it's OK.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by eenai(m): 12:25am On Jun 22, 2016
For those of you saying a polygamouse man should put away the other wives and keep the first wife. my question to u is that, what happen to the children from those other wives? should the man also disown them?
My take is that God did not ask any body to put away wives once married. This law is man-made and should be disregarded. People have caused so much hate, division, untold sufferings and terminated several destinies because these scripturally unfounded laws. so sad!

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by eph12(m): 12:25am On Jun 22, 2016
tranxo:

cheesy
I asked myself same too and looking at everything the answer is clear.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 12:26am On Jun 22, 2016
tranxo:

I am a believer in God and his Messiah.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Amicable24: 12:28am On Jun 22, 2016
eph12:

I jst asked for a Scriptural Passage, that's all
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 12:28am On Jun 22, 2016
frosbel2:

1000 Likes, ignore those religious fanatics who are not followers of God but followers of MEN.
of course we are fanatics..the truth will always set you free.God's word will never change. You can't be in christ and practice polygamy.Have you not heard of the word restitution?
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by eph12(m): 12:29am On Jun 22, 2016
searchng4love:
you are a liar, a fraud, an anti Christ who only peddles rumours and strive to lead people astray from the path of Christ.

What rumor have i peddled again? I didn't even say anything
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by searchng4love: 12:29am On Jun 22, 2016
says who, what is wrong with polygamy?
WindUpMerchant:
of course we are fanatics..the truth will always set you free.God's word will never change. You can't be in christ and practice polygamy.Have you not heard of the word restitution?
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by eph12(m): 12:30am On Jun 22, 2016
Amicable24:

I jst asked for a Scriptural Passage, that's all
Nah not going to do so. It won't be enough. Then we will have different interpretations and our back and forth won't stop. So it's better to end it before it starts smiley
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 12:31am On Jun 22, 2016
WindUpMerchant:

My friend , stop parroting what your pastor told you, does he know more than God ?

Besides what does restitution have to do with polygamy , did he steal , covet or marry another man's wife.

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Amicable24: 12:31am On Jun 22, 2016
searchng4love:
he can even marry them after knowing Christ.

I didn't say so.. By d way, y shud u take another wife if u claim u are in Christ?? Jst asking
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by searchng4love: 12:32am On Jun 22, 2016
everythg yu have typed on these thread are mere rumours.... I followed all your posts.

eph12:

What rumor have i peddled again? I didn't even say anything
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by searchng4love: 12:33am On Jun 22, 2016
because the Bible does not forbid it....and because I also like the lady.
Amicable24:

I didn't say so.. By d way, y shud u take another wife if u claim u are in Christ?? Jst asking
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 12:36am On Jun 22, 2016
frosbel2:

My friend , stop parroting what your pastor told you, does he know more than God ?

Besides what does restitution have to do with polygamy , did he steal , covet or marry another man's wife.

I'm too mature..too spiritually convicted to be confused by my pastor. My bible says one woman, one wife. My Bible forbids polygamy of any kind. Restitution is an act of correcting any wrong-doing, if its within your power.the first wife is the ONLY recognised wife. He will PUT AWAY not DIVORCE the others because any union was void, and dead on arrival in the eyes of a genuine christian.God's standard first! I suggest you really study your bible.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Reverend King's Birthday Celebrated On Newspaper By His Church Members (Photos) / Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Not Marry Other ' Christians '? / What Nigerians Think Of People Who Do NOT Believe In God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.