Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,129 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? (41047 Views)

"For Better For Worse" Is It Supposed To Be Used During Vow? / Polygamy - Insatiable Desire For Multiple Wives / Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 12:38am On Jun 22, 2016
searchng4love:
says who, what is wrong with polygamy?
Too tired to go down that road. If you feel polygamy is ideal for you..then good on you.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Amicable24: 12:38am On Jun 22, 2016
histemple:

We may need to ask why King Dave and Solo were God's most loved people in bible history if polygamy was a sin.
David lusted after Uriah, abi uzziah's wife, had intercourse with her, and had a hand in her husband's death.. Lust, Adultery, Murder...This didn't pls God, d child he had with her after this incident died..
And for Solomon, he married against God's will by taking wives from places God didn't approve of..
I'm still looking for a place Ind Bible God approved polygamy especially in the New Testament
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by searchng4love: 12:39am On Jun 22, 2016
WindUpMerchant:
I'm too mature..too spiritually convicted to be confused by my pastor. My bible says one woman, one wife. My Bible forbids polygamy of any kind. Restitution is an act of correcting any wrong-doing, if its within your power.the first wife is the ONLY recognised wife. He will PUT AWAY not DIVORCE the others because any union was void, and dead on arrival in the eyes of a genuine christian.God's standard first! I suggest you really study your bible.
@bolded Chapter and Verse please?

2 Likes

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by searchng4love: 12:39am On Jun 22, 2016
nothing wrong about it.
WindUpMerchant:
Too tired to go down that road. If you feel polygamy is ideal for you..then good on you.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Amicable24: 12:43am On Jun 22, 2016
searchng4love:
because the Bible does not forbid it....and because I also like the lady.
Hmmmm, Can u tgink deep and explain the Biblical meaning of Adultery and Fornication??
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by DedeNkem: 12:43am On Jun 22, 2016
Your sick bible answered the question.

Solomon is a good example; he had 700 wives and 300 concubines and still killed another man to claim the man's his wife.
And your god didn't do sh*it about it.

Correction: The story of killing a man to claim his wife was perpetrated by David (a man of god also) not Solomon. That was a mistake.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by MistadeRegal(m): 12:43am On Jun 22, 2016
ettaetta:
is polygamy not a sin?

Polygamy is not a sin. But it is how you handle situations that it might turn to sin on you. And that is divorcing one wife because you want to marry another.

2 Likes

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by searchng4love: 12:44am On Jun 22, 2016
they are english words is you are confused get a webster dictionary or a study bible
Amicable24:

Hmmmm, Can u tgink deep and explain the Biblical meaning of Adultery and Fornication??

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by MistadeRegal(m): 12:45am On Jun 22, 2016
DedeNkem:

Solomon is a good example; he had 700 wives and 300 concubines and still killed another man to claim the man's his wife.

This is where you fall.
Produce the verse where Solomon killed a man and took his wife.

Whatever you don't know, keep your sick mouth from it.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by sooperrescue(m): 12:46am On Jun 22, 2016
This issue we are debating is what happened to the founder of the Rccg. He had 3 wives when he was in a white garment church, on meeting christ?, he drove away his other wives and kept one . For his mind he has met christ but the bible says that God hates putting away and the bible stated that in the state that you were when you met christ, remain in that state, as a free man or a servant, remain. As fir those condeming polygamy, paul wrote that the church in corinth erred when they allowed a man that slept with his father's wife to be in their midst. Can you sleep with your father's wife and who is your father's wife?

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Amicable24: 12:59am On Jun 22, 2016
Millerz:
The bible only sanctions marriage between one man and one woman. Jesus made Eve for Adam, not Eves for Adam. That God allowed it in times past doesnt mean God ordained it. Same way God allows people kill other people, it doesn't mean its sanctioned by him.

You are to have one wife and not to divorce her except for adultery. A polygamist who has just come to Christ must divorce his other wives because what we call polygamy is actually adultery.
I was with u until u approved of divorce.. Like seriously?? undecided undecided
The thing is, when d polygamous man finally accepts Christ Jesus, he should ask HIM for directions on what to do.. Let's not give our own various opinions and interpretations.. God is not an author of confusion..
Let's all rest the case please..
Frosbel2, Searchng4love, ettaetta, eph12, histemple and others..

Good night to u all
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 1:00am On Jun 22, 2016
searchng4love:

@bolded Chapter and Verse please?
Romans 7:1-6, Gen 2;21-24 more coming..

Please meditate on this scriptures and try figure it.I have painstakingly sought it.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Iseoluwani: 1:05am On Jun 22, 2016
frosbel2:

Polygamy is not adultery, lol.

Adultery is stealing another man's wife or another wife's husband. None of this has happened in Polygamy because they remain legitimately married.

Your write up is based on fiction.

If polygamy z not adultery, plz what z it.? ? Because what will make a man take news wives if not greed. Or don't u know polygamy came out of the will of a man that z selfish n to avoid insults decides to marry again to consume it on his sexual lust

I think polygamy z a term to make light or simple the word adultery
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by DedeNkem: 1:06am On Jun 22, 2016
MistadeRegal:

This is where you fall.
Produce the verse where Solomon killed a man and took his wife.

Whatever you don't know, keep your sick mouth from it.

Well, the story of killing a man to claim his wife was perpetrated by David (a man of god also) not Solomon. That was a mistake.
Region is crap! No matter how dumb you're, it's true.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by justmenoni: 1:27am On Jun 22, 2016
Even if she's not the legal wife?

quote author=eph12 post=46762935]Christianity recognises the first wife as the legitimate wife[/quote]
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by ArcIbrahim38(m): 1:44am On Jun 22, 2016
thank you felas for this beautiful brainstorming. I am a muslim and will like to share with my Christian friends a formula we used in Islam which will put this argument to rest. From the numerous comment I read I can say that their is no place in the bible where polygamy was explicitly forbidden. The formula we used in Islam is ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD YOU MIGHT THINK OF IS PERMISSIBLE IN ISLAM EXCEPT WHAT IS FORBIDDEN. and furthermore if it is a sin in the eyes of God He Would Have deter Christian from it explicitly

2 Likes

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by bioladedeji: 1:45am On Jun 22, 2016
You are to divorce all of them except the first Wife
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by skywalker001(m): 1:56am On Jun 22, 2016
eph12:
Christianity recognises the first wife as the legitimate wife
Exactly my thought
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Originalsly: 2:45am On Jun 22, 2016
Hmmm.....If a man has multiple wives and goes in to the US Embassy for visas for his family.....what is he suppose to do? Is this not similar? It is not. We need to first draw the line .....separating what is scriptural from what is legal or doctrinal/pagan. Op is looking for scriptural answers...Is it a sin for the husband to have more than one wife? Is there a scripture that says so? One man one wife... is that scriptural?...or legal?...in most countries and illegal to have more than one? Until death do us part... is that vow scriptural? ...so why do people always quote it when it is pagan? Didn't the Bible say don't swear?...which is the same as making vows/promises? God hates divorce....until death do us part. ... but yet the Bible gives conditions under which one can divorce? The man has four wives...it is his duty as the spiritual head of the family to make his wives equally yoked..... bring them to Christ.

2 Likes

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Bollinger(m): 2:57am On Jun 22, 2016
ettaetta:
is polygamy not a sin?

It is not. We just choose not to do it.

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 3:54am On Jun 22, 2016
nairalandankrah:
. my dear, if polygamy is not a sin to YOU, Its definitely a sin to GOD.
yeah, that's why Abraham, Moses, Jacob, David, Solomon etc. are all in hell...
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 3:58am On Jun 22, 2016
Remain the way he is but marry no more.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 3:58am On Jun 22, 2016
DedeNkem:

Correction: The story of killing a man to claim his wife was perpetrated by David (a man of god also) not Solomon. That was a mistake.
Dude, you really don't know jack about the Bible, you need to keep quiet a bit and maybe you might learn something.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 4:10am On Jun 22, 2016
Iseoluwani:

If polygamy z not adultery, plz what z it.? ? Because what will make a man take news wives if not greed. Or don't u know polygamy came out of the will of a man that z selfish n to avoid insults decides to marry again to consume it on his sexual lust

I think polygamy z a term to make light or simple the word adultery
So if I marry one wife I won't be hungrying for other women again? My marriage to one woman would magically erase all my h*rniness for other women abi? Do you see how stupid interpretations push people to commit sin? Marriage is just God's way of bringing order to a biological function without which chaos might ensue. The silly white people who brainwashed you people into monogamy are starting to realize the impracticability of their all too idealistic interpretation...divorce is at an all time high, and many women have been forced into prostitution because of a lack of consort. I'm not recommending any sort of marital arrangement, but don't find sin where there's none.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by flamingREED(m): 4:30am On Jun 22, 2016
Your children are your children.

Detach from their mothers, but care for them.

However, if the many wives were married at once,
Then whichever of them made the vow first is the legitimate wife.

But if they all made the vow at once,
Then the man's simultaneous marriage to all of them is NULL AND VOID.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by lodscott(m): 4:48am On Jun 22, 2016
Millerz:
The bible only sanctions marriage between one man and one woman. Jesus made Eve for Adam, not Eves for Adam. That God allowed it in times past doesnt mean God ordained it. Same way God allows people kill other people, it doesn't mean its sanctioned by him.

You are to have one wife and not to divorce her except for adultery. A polygamist who has just come to Christ must divorce his other wives because what we call polygamy is actually adultery.

1 Samuel 15:3 Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.
NUMBERS 21:3 The Lord gave the Canaanites over to Israel, who "completely destroyed them and their towns."
NUMBERS 31:17-18 God commanded Moses to kill all of the male Midianite children and "kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man."

a few examples when God not only sanctioned killing but ordered it.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by lodscott(m): 4:51am On Jun 22, 2016
just so you know, suckling is a child who is just breastfeeding. God ordered the death of 3,2,1 month old babies
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Brightgem(f): 5:03am On Jun 22, 2016
eph12:

See it's not by force to become a Christian o. Nobody is forcing anybody. He can decide to be a Muslim, pagan atheist or whatever to accommodate his 100 wives. Thank you.
kikikikikkki why the aggressiveness, If u be pastor naso u go vex its a delicate matter and there has to b an answer. One that solves this justly. what if they all become Christians, what if he married them the same day.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by femi4: 5:12am On Jun 22, 2016
ettaetta:
i dont really understand ? If a man has multiple wives before he becomes a Christian, what is he supposed to do? Divorce others and marry only the first? Dont forget divorce is a sin
Divorce is not a sin. God said "I hate divorce" and Jesus made it known that divorce is allowed where the partner is unrepentant cheat
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Brightgem(f): 5:24am On Jun 22, 2016
Scholar8200:
Indeed God hates divorce, but divorce only comes up where marriage existed. Malachi 2:14-16 speaks on terms of the wife (not wives) of thy youth. It also said God made BOTH ONE. Emphasizing that it is between 2 not more. Besides, Jesus established this when He quoted Genesis that they are no more 2( not 3 or more) but 1.

Now realise that certain things passed under the OT due to hardness of heart and limited revelation which we cannot emulate in the NT! Eg polygamy. For a married man to think of taking another wife means he had been committing adultery in his heart, admiring and desiring another woman while his wife was alive!!!

Hence the other 'wives' will go and the first remains! But of course, the children of the other women are to be catered for by the man.

Since Jesus taught that marriage to a divorcee is adultery, I wonder how some here seek to justify marriage to a married man!!!

I just wonder what sense there is in saying marriage to a divorcee is adultery. So divorcees are just outcasts then, where is the justice in that.

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by femi4: 5:27am On Jun 22, 2016
frosbel2:

Polygamy is not adultery, lol.

Adultery is stealing another man's wife or another wife's husband. None of this has happened in Polygamy because they remain legitimately married.

Your write up is based on fiction.

When you have sex with a man that is already married, its called Adultery
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by cosade(m): 5:29am On Jun 22, 2016
nairalandankrah:
. A Christian Is Not Just Someone That Doesn't Go To A Mosque.A Christ -ian, Is Someone That Behaves Like Jesus And Will Always Act, Talk And Behave Like Him No Matter The Situation They Find Themselves. that's how the name was gotten in the first place.
Now For Someone Who Lived In Polygamy, But,Eventually Chooses To Accept Jesus &Sincerely Becomes A Christian, Such A Person Must Have Also Decided To Live By The Doctrines And Practice Of Jesus Christ As Enshrined In The Bible. Jesus alone Is The Way To HEAVEN NOT SOLOMON or DAVID, follow jesus! if he says one wife then that is the standard.at death,ignorance is no longer an excuse before God so, now that we are still alive is the only opportunity we have to make ammends for wrongs done.. But If You Think Sacking The Other Women Is A Difficult And Hard Pin To Swallow, Then Wait Until You Find Yourself @ GODS JUDGEMENT

If you're following Jesus Christ, then you should not get married then since Jesus never married.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

Reverend King's Birthday Celebrated On Newspaper By His Church Members (Photos) / What Nigerians Think Of People Who Do NOT Believe In God? / RCCG Pastor: "Dangote Will Not Make Heaven" - Daddy Freeze Reacts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.