Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,977 members, 7,817,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? (41029 Views)

"For Better For Worse" Is It Supposed To Be Used During Vow? / Polygamy - Insatiable Desire For Multiple Wives / Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by femi4: 7:39am On Jun 22, 2016
frosbel2:

Again ENGLISH seems to be the main problem with your misinterpretation of scripture. God hating divorces does not infer that he is against a man marrying more than one woman.

It is only in the last few hundred years that this European concept of one man and one woman has taking preeminence over other cultures.

Shhhhh......can you read the whole content? You can't infer for God. Stop quoting scripture out of context. Read pre verse/text and the whole chapter for better understanding.

Let me help you by picking it from Mal 2:14

14 You cry out, “Why doesn’t the LORD accept my worship?” I’ll tell you why! Because the LORD witnessed the vows you and your wife made when you were young. But you have been unfaithful to her, though she remained your faithful partner, the wife of your marriage vows.

15 Didn’t the LORD make you one with your wife? In body and spirit you are his. And what does he want? Godly children from your union. So guard your heart; remain loyal to the wife of your youth. 16“For I hate divorce!” says the LORD, the God of Israel. “To divorce your wife is to overwhelm her with cruelty, says the LORD of Heaven’s Armies. “So guard your heart; do not be unfaithful to your wife.”

Mind you, the message is for the priests, telling them how to live and be good examples to their followers (Read the whole chapter)

That's how to digest and understand the scripture. Dont just pick a phrase from a verse and be shouting "God hate divorce" cos it can also be a divorce between/among gays/lesbians by your interpretation.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by nairalandankrah: 7:39am On Jun 22, 2016
GogobiriLalas:
yeah, that's why Abraham, Moses, Jacob, David, Solomon etc. are all in hell...
have you taken time out to carefully study the life and time of those people as written in the bible? if youve done that, you'd know that They were also men of like passions like us.(ordinary people) who made several costly mistakes that almost cost them their relationship with God. even moses was forbidden by God to enter the promised land because he disobeyed God, David incured Gods wrath after he killed an innocent man and took his wife. i can go on and on. my point is, only jesus has the key of heaven. not our pastors, or moses, or david, jacob,etc.if you choose to neglect the practice and teachings/ doctrine christ introduced. you'r on your own bro.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by femi4: 7:42am On Jun 22, 2016
nairalandankrah:
have you taken time out to carefully study the life and time of those people as written in the bible? if youve done that, you'd know that They were also men of like passions like us.(ordinary people) who made several costly mistakes that almost cost them their relationship with God. even moses was forbidden by God to enter the promised land because he disobeyed God, David incured Gods wrath after he killed an innocent man and took his wife. i can go on and on. my point is, only jesus has the key of heaven. not our pastors, or moses, or david, jacob,etc.if you choose to neglect the practice and teachings/ doctrine christ introduced. you'r on your own bro.
Don't mind them, as if those prophets were the standard. No wonder, they almost stoned Jesus when he said "Before Abraham was, I am"
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 7:53am On Jun 22, 2016
nairalandankrah:
I hear you Pastor...can you tell me in your Bible, where Jesus expressly condemned Polygamy?
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by eph12(m): 7:54am On Jun 22, 2016
DipoDee:

....erm, an older woman somewhere in Surulere went raging mad and mentally unstable because her husband joined DLBC, discarded her cos she was his second wife and went back to his first wife. She was left with 6 kids and nothing in the bank.

...religion na.
And religion/DLBC told the man that he can't take care of his children and the mother of his children? Haba! That they don't stay together does not mean he can abandon them. The man was just looking for means to discard them. Maybe his income is so little he can barely survive.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by folks4luv(f): 7:56am On Jun 22, 2016
Philinho:

Not so now. except d women refused to repent like d man. it is something everybody can understand . you should also know that d race is personal n no one should b a stumbling block. to me that is what make heaven hard to go except by d grace of GOD
what if the other women aren't born again and they insist they want to stay? the man should divorce them anyway? on what ground? and what happens to the children?
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by nairalandankrah: 7:57am On Jun 22, 2016
cosade:

If you're following Jesus Christ, then you should not get married then since Jesus never married.
. my brother why?[lol]. no offence but,are you for real or do you just refuse to argue/reason appropriately.. maybe i shouldn't have attended university as Christ also never attended one, or maybe i shouldn't own a car as christ never owned one. as a follower nah. abi what do you think?..
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by osenidvdg(m): 7:57am On Jun 22, 2016
The reason polygamous refers to as sin is that no Man can ever love two woman equally without showing more preference to one over another which is not biblical. Only God Our creator can have two things love them equally or have perfect reasons for prefering one over another.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by KissCODE(m): 7:59am On Jun 22, 2016
ettaetta:
I know Modern day christianity condems polygamy and the bible condems divorce, so my quetion now is? If a man has multiple wives and becomes a Christian, what is he supposed to do?
well neither Jesus Christ nor any of His disciples taught us anything about it in the Bible. Therefore i will advice the man to stay married to the wives because if he sends any of them away there will be no one to remary the women.
However; if he goes to a church whose dogma teaches send the women away, to avoid being a disobident member, he should leave the church or seek counsel from a higher spiritual authority.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by searchng4love: 8:00am On Jun 22, 2016
WindUpMerchant:
Romans 7:1-6, Gen 2;21-24 more coming..

Please meditate on this scriptures and try figure it.I have painstakingly sought it.
Romans 7 New International Version (NIV)

Released From the Law, Bound to Christ
7 Do you not know, brothers and sisters—for I am speaking to those who know the law—that the law has authority over someone only as long as that person lives? 2 For example, by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law that binds her to him. 3 So then, if she has sexual relations with another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress if she marries another man.

4 So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. 5 For when we were in the realm of the flesh,[a] the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in us, so that we bore fruit for death. 6 But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.
woman not man.
Genesis 2:21-24

21 So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs[g] and then closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib[h] he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

23 The man said,

“This is now bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called ‘woman,’
for she was taken out of man.”
24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.

you are heretic
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by justmenoni: 8:01am On Jun 22, 2016
Yeah right,and u don't know that been legitimate is different from been legal?

quote author=eph12 post=46804558]
Well I consider traditional wedding rites as legitimate too.[/quote]
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by folks4luv(f): 8:02am On Jun 22, 2016
WindUpMerchant:
of course we are fanatics..the truth will always set you free.God's word will never change. You can't be in christ and practice polygamy.Have you not heard of the word restitution?
lol. restitution? to who? the women the man want to dump, or Christ who paid for sin with his life or the church members?
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by greatjoey: 8:02am On Jun 22, 2016
ettaetta:
I know Modern day christianity condems polygamy and the bible condems divorce, so my quetion now is? If a man has multiple wives and becomes a Christian, what is he supposed to do?

Most times, the modern day Christians interprete the holy bible as it suites their established doctrine without recourse to the foundation and beginning of time. Monogamy and polygamy are issues of ability and choice and not divinity. From the beginning, God has selected great men as his friends and faithful servants both from polygamous homes and monogamous homes too. God is not mindful of your marital status but your personal relationship with him. He referred to David as a man after his heart. He was with Solomon and blessed him most abundantly. These were men with many wives. Remember, God said, I am thy God, I change not. His words are his bonds. Remember the woman Jesus met at the well. He told her: Where is thou husband? She replied and said, I have no husband and Jesus said, :thou has said well because thou has had four husbands, and the one thou liveth with now is not thou husband BECAUSE HE DID NOT MARRY THOU'. Here, Jesus did not say, she has had four adulterous husbands. The four were legitimate husband but the fifth wasn't because he did not marry her. This means that, if the fifth had married her, he would be seen as her fifth legitimate husband too. There is no part of Bible where God condemns polygamy or disapprove of it. Monogamy does not have its root from the bible but from Roman catholic in particular and the white culture whose over bearing impact shapes our christian lives and doctrine. God does not operate in a murky way. His commandments are explicit. Outrightly, he said, ' I hate divorce:'. He said thou shall not kill, thou shall not bear false witness, thou shall not commit adultery etc. These are things he abhors and he made them known outrightly. Remeber, soloman was a product of a polygamous home. He was a child mothered by the wife whom king David killed the husband and took for wife. Remember also that, when God sent a prophet to David against his deed, David repented but God did not ask him to divorse the woman. She remained David's wife and mothered Solomon. If God disapproves of polygamy, there was nothing stopping him from declaring it. He is not an author of confusion. He was God yesterday, he is God today, he remains God forever. Remember, he warns against adding and subtracting from his words in Revelation. He is infinite. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by goodfornothing(m): 8:02am On Jun 22, 2016
Reject them all!
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by searchng4love: 8:03am On Jun 22, 2016
nairalandankrah:
. i guess you're a moslem. because from your comment, its apparent you do not have the slightest regard for someone who upon conversion, dedicated the entirety of his life to the work & service of jesus christ.to the point of being killed & beheaded and matyred for the sake of christ.. if you aren't a moslem,then you ought to believe Gods word & take it as it is.that's the mindset of a true xtian. (read romans 6 vs 16) if you care. but if you wanna kip arguing,ur on your own.

I respect Paul, but I do not use his words to obliterate what Christ said or did Not say. Most people misinterprete Apostle Paul....thus putting their flock in bondage Christ did not place on anyone
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by searchng4love: 8:05am On Jun 22, 2016
great piece ...epic....some forget the King of England's dispute with the Pope over the inability of his queen to conceive hence the need for a second wife.... Christians should read the Bible and read with understanding.

greatjoey:

Most times, the modern day Christians interprete the holy bible as it suites their established doctrine without recourse to the foundation and beginning of time. Monogamy or polygamy are issues of ability and choice and not divinity. From the beginning, God has selected great men as his friends and faithful servants both from polygamous homes and monogamous homes too. God is not mindful of your marital status but your personal relationship with him. He referred to David as a man after his heart. He was with Solomon and blesses him most abundantly. These were men with many wives. Remember, God said, I am thy God, I change not. His words are his bonds. Remember the woman Jesus met at the well. His told her: Where is thou husband? She replied and said, I have no husband and Jesus said, :thou has said well because thou has had four husband, and the one thou live with now is not thou husband BECAUSE HE DID NOT MARRY THOU'. Here, Jesus did not say, she has had four adulterous husbands. The four were legitimate husband but the fifth wasn't because he did not marry her. This means that, if the fifth had married her, he would be seen as her fifth legitimate husband too. There is no part of Bible where God condemns polygamy or disapprove of it. Monogamy does not have its root from the bible but from Roman catholic in particular and the white culture whose over bearing impact shapes our christian lives and doctrine. God does not operate in a murky way. His commandments are explicit. Outrightly, he said, ' I hate divorce:'. He said thou shall not kill, thou shall not bear false witness, thou shall not commit adultery etc. These are things he abhors and he made them known outrightly. Remeber, soloman was a product of a polygamous home. He was a child mothered by the wife whom king David killed the husband and took for wife. Remember also that, when God sent a prophet to David against his deed, David repented but God did not ask him to divorse the woman. She remained David's wife and mothered Solomon. If God disapproves of polygamy, there was nothing stopping him from declaring it. He is not an author of confusion. He was God yesterday, he is God today, he remains God forever. Remember, he warns against adding and subtracting from his words in Revelation. He is infinite. Thank you.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by gudluckgreat(m): 8:09am On Jun 22, 2016
frosbel2:
The bible has never explicitly mentioned that God is against Polygamy, after all in ancient times many great men of God had multiple wives and God still acknowledged them as righteous.

Also quoting Matthew 19 vs 9 is a misnomer because for starters the MAN did not put away any of his wives, he remained married to them.

What we do know is that God is explicitly against Adultery, i.e sleeping with another man's wife or vice versa and general sexual immorality.

So here is my take, if a man is married to 4 wives and has children with all of them, even when he comes to a knowledge of Christ, there is no biblical verse or comma opnd which suggests he should chase 3 wives away and remain with one wife . He should remain with his 4 wives and take care of his children while bringing them to a knowledge of truth.

God bless you bro.
Some people misunderstand the Bible . It's said when the Man puts away his wife.
The polygamous man never put away his wife
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by jasedu60: 8:11am On Jun 22, 2016
If the man married all the wives at once, that means they all have preferences discarding some people's answer (parable of the 10 virgin) 1 man, 10 women. (Fela Kuti did that).

Paul advice that if any man desire the post of Bishop, let him be of one wife. That clearance state the opposite exist. (Modern day Christian think many thing (not stated) in the bible are wrong.

There're too many unqualified teachers. Being a Christian is a behaviour conclusion, being a child of God is a spiritual ascersion.

(Peace)

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Nobody: 8:17am On Jun 22, 2016
nairalandankrah:
If only you would study the Bible on your own without preconceived notions fostered by years of indoctrination, you will realize that God never condemned any of these men for polygamy but for some other flaw in their character....for example, Abraham had a wife and took his wife's maid as concubine, God never condemned the maid until she despised Sarah in her eyes, it was to avoid unnecessary competition that Hagai was let go; Moses fell because of pride, when he claimed God's deed as his own, even when his sister complained about him taking a second wife, God struck her with leprosy; Jacob, the father of the 12 tribes of Israel had 2 wives who were sisters and he also took 2 maids as concubines; David's sin was never because he took another wife but the manner in which he took her I.e. covetousness and once he repented, God left him to enjoy Bathsheba in peace, in fact it was from their union that Solomon the wisest man in history and a forebear of our Lord Jesus Christ was born; Solomon had 300 wives and over 800 concubines, it was Solomon that wrote the Songs of Solomon a veritable treatise on romance, seduction and desire..indeed the Bible admits Solomon's wisdom, Solomon was NEVER condemned for his many consorts but for the sin of idolatry...etc. and concerning the new testament apostles, the scriptures provides us with very little details of their personal lives for us to deduce or conclude that their were no polygamist among them; a good question any rational human being would have asked is that given the prevalence of the practice of Polygamy at the time of Jesus, how come Jesus never condemned it? Maybe it wasn't considered a sin at the time...

1 Like

Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by lilmax(m): 8:17am On Jun 22, 2016
doll912:

The same thing s man who loses his virginity does. Remember you are both fornicators.
you are not sharp at all......read the op and my comment slowly to get better understanding
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by jtwest(m): 8:27am On Jun 22, 2016
He should thank God for enlarging his coast! Daz all
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by dayosweetness(m): 8:28am On Jun 22, 2016
lilmax:
If a girl looses her virginity and becomes a christain what is she supposed to do? grin
thank you jare..the OP no get sense
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by nairalandankrah: 8:48am On Jun 22, 2016
[
So God created humans to burn in hell abi? What then is the work of redemption and salvation? So the death and resurrection of Christ is of no importance if entering heaven is an herculean task? Pls study your Bible well, read romans, Hebrews and Corinthian for proper knowledge.[/quote].
for proper knowledge abi,i hear you..the same God that created humans, sent flood to wipe away the first generation of humans he created.sparing the life of JUST 8. those 8 were spared because they accepted and heeded the warnings of God through noah and therefore entered the ark.. the rest ignored the warning and felt noah was probably hallucinating.they saw God as a merciful God whose words and warnings SHOULDN'T be taken SERIOUSLY..the same stuff appnd in the days of LOT and abraham when the ppl of sodom ignored Gods warnings until God sent fire from heaven. the same thing is playing Now.God has sent his jesus wit d promis of eternal life..but there are strict conditions we must fulfil, and warnings we musn't ignore..
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by doll912(f): 8:50am On Jun 22, 2016
lilmax:
you are not sharp at all......read the op and my comment slowly to get better understanding
Pele ooo Mr sharp guy... who are you again? With all your sharpness? Abeg!
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by Maitommi: 8:56am On Jun 22, 2016
I need to ask these thought provoking question. If polygamy isn't allowed, why is the population of women on earth more than double the population of men? Are you saying some women deserve to not to ever get married? Who is supposed to get married to the widowed women, barren women too. Thank you.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by doll912(f): 8:56am On Jun 22, 2016
frosbel2:

Nope, David, Jacob, Abraham to name a few were all righteous before God, in fact Abraham who slept with his slave was called a friend of God.

God's anger with Solomon was because he went after HEATHEN WOMEN and to be fair he married far too many , not because he married more than one wife.

Yes... but it wasn't right. Pls read your Bible with understanding from the Holy Spirit. Abraham tried to get a child from a slave but the promised child was from the wife. Righteousness didn't mean they weren't sinners. The only thing is that they acknowledged God in all their deeds. Don't be deceived. The new testament written majorly by apostle paul talks on one man and one woman. I wish I could give you passages now. It's perversion that made man have more than one wife.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by doll912(f): 9:00am On Jun 22, 2016
frosbel2:

Okay, so Moses , David, Abraham , Jacob and Ezra to name a few , were all 'PERVERTS' .

And your forefathers who did not hear about Christ till almost 1,500 years after his death were all 'PERVERTS' and 'ADULTERERS'

My friend go and sit down.... cool
Remember our forefathers ( well- to - do) could afford more than one wife cos they had large farmlands and needed children to work on them. I can't force my opinion on you but please if you must marry many wives, please have enough to feed them . No woman needs to suffer poverty for the perversion of one man. E.g in Yoruba land here where broke men have 3 wives.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by charlsecy(m): 9:09am On Jun 22, 2016
ettaetta:
is polygamy not a sin?
I don't think it is. It is just that monogamy is recommended such that it has seemingly become a Christian custom. However, the Bible nowhere condemns polygamy.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by cosade(m): 9:09am On Jun 22, 2016
nairalandankrah:
. my brother why?[lol]. no offence but,are you for real or do you just refuse to argue/reason appropriately.. maybe i shouldn't have attended university as Christ also never attended one, or maybe i shouldn't own a car as christ never owned one. as a follower nah. abi what do you think?..

You should answer the question yourself. I only responded to your sermon quoted below.

"nairalandankrah:
. A Christian Is Not Just Someone That Doesn't Go To A Mosque.A Christ -ian, Is Someone That Behaves Like Jesus And Will Always Act, Talk And Behave Like Him No Matter The Situation They Find Themselves[i][/i]. that's how the name was gotten in the first place.
Now For Someone Who Lived In Polygamy, But,Eventually Chooses To Accept Jesus &Sincerely Becomes A Christian, Such A Person Must Have Also Decided To Live By The Doctrines And Practice Of Jesus Christ [i][/i]As Enshrined In The Bible."
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by nairalandankrah: 9:11am On Jun 22, 2016
GogobiriLalas:
I hear you Pastor...can you tell me in your Bible, where Jesus expressly condemned Polygamy?
. I Hear you member.(lol). i'm not a pastor, neither do i own a church..i am just privileged to hav a lil understanding of Gods word as enshrined in the bible..
i feel, if we've chosen to do wrong, let's leave the bible out of it, instead of trying to twist its words in order justify & or pacify our consience.I Believe the bible is a Holy book. and christianity a holy religion.. jesus clearly stated that when the holy spirit comes, he shall teach his followers all things. including those things "NOT EXPRESSLY WRITTEN IN THE BIBLE"..so dear the question is are you a follower of christ,?, if yes, do you have the spirit of christ?. if sincerely yes, then you'd know that the words 'marijuana, tribalism, cocane, etc are not EXPRESSLY WRITTEN in the bible..
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by actright2(m): 9:15am On Jun 22, 2016
Alhamduillah, I'm a Muslim. #NoHeadAcheIntended.
Re: If A Man Has Multiple Wives And Becomes A Christian, What Is He Supposed To Do? by nairalandankrah: 9:16am On Jun 22, 2016
cosade:

You should answer the question yourself. I only responded to your sermon quoted below.

"nairalandankrah:
. A Christian Is Not Just Someone That Doesn't Go To A Mosque.A Christ -ian, Is Someone That Behaves Like Jesus And Will Always Act, Talk And Behave Like Him No Matter The Situation They Find Themselves[i][/i]. that's how the name was gotten in the first place"

. "smile"

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Reverend King's Birthday Celebrated On Newspaper By His Church Members (Photos) / Why Do Jehovah's Witnesses Not Marry Other ' Christians '? / What Nigerians Think Of People Who Do NOT Believe In God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.