Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,398 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. (33853 Views)

My Boss' Relationship With A Co-Worker Is Affecting Our Productivity / I Caught My Boss Pants Down With The Organization's Secretary / I Got This For Asking My Boss My February Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by careercrew1: 9:42pm On Jun 27, 2016
fragilebeing:
Summary: I got to know about a consulting firm here in Lagos and without second thought, I decided to start doing freelancing with them, reason being that it will be a great opportunity for me to put into use what I learnt in school. The freelancing agreement was not without a baggage that I will get absorbed into the system once there is any chance.

Fast forward, recently, the company underwent some expansion and restructuring and I was properly interviewed for a position that fits my ability and profile. While at this, I was rated by the other higher personnel to be very okay in terms of performance as I not only deliver on time, but also assist in fixing some office computer systems that had software problems which was not part of the job prescription anyway.

Problem: It all started when we asked to do presentation on some topics. In my case, I concentrated on identifying problems and suggesting possible solutions to them, surprisingly, the feedback I got was that I wasn't right. I immediately asked for another time to re-present it and my request was granted. Now, even before the time for presentation, I did a pre-presentation to all my colleagues and they say that it was ok, but surprisingly when they were asked to air their views on my performance after the presentation proper and I was given 70/100%, only one of them gave a positive comment, the rest said almost negative stuffs concerning my performance.

The climax was when the Boss asked me to go back to school as I don't know anything.

These got much better part of me and the thought of coming to work is no longer appealing.
I can't even think straight anymore...
Staying amidst of people is no longer fascinating let alone being among colleagues in the office.
I feel like it would have been better if I never existed in the first place.

Some of them laughing to my face consistently is bullying the crap out of me.

Please how can I overcome this?

Please don't mind my punctuation... I can't think straight right now.

I feel your pain and know what you are going through. .I have a blog that is based on career development and advice. ..Am currently writing an article similar to your issue..
Permit me to ask, what is your relationship with you and your colleagues? Do you have a good relationship with your boss? Have you ever sensed any sign of envy or jealousy towards you from your colleagues?
Answer these questions so that we can go through this situation together.. .I am willing to help. .

You can also visit my blog at www.careercrew..com and check out other articles that will boost your morale.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by UIA04(f): 9:46pm On Jun 27, 2016
dammytosh:

Yes....
It is element of pride that makes us feel we know a lot and once that is proven to be false, it hits us hard.

So when u calm down and try to be better no matter how good you are, it makes you see statements that says you don't know much as a challenge rather than as an insult.
I suspect you are one of his backstabbing wicked colleagues.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by freecocoa(f): 9:47pm On Jun 27, 2016
dammytosh:

That was just a careless statement from some one. That statement is not relevant.

What should be the focus is that he did something and the person feels it was not good enough.

It could av been a customer or client that said the same. You have to just put ur heads up and move on.
What are you talking about? A careless statement from someone, that isn't relevant. Please how is it irrelevant? So it's okay to go about calling people useless after they put in their efforts to work?

So if I do something and my boss thinks it's wrong(regardless of whether it actually is) its cool he says whatever he wants to me? I don't understand this.

What difference does it make who said it?

1 Like

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Cholls(m): 9:52pm On Jun 27, 2016
my brothers and sisters this is actually the time I have been waiting for...............Nairaland and faceoff are like gala and lacasera.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by pole: 9:53pm On Jun 27, 2016
It May Be Ture Abi Hm Kmw Read U Before Hm Talk Am
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by pole: 9:54pm On Jun 27, 2016
It May Be Ture Abi Hm KNOw Read U Before Hm Talk Am
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by XCLUX(m): 9:54pm On Jun 27, 2016
BABANGBALI:
Ti e ba e
Mumu if d op needs your opinion he will buy u a brain.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by LaurelP(m): 9:54pm On Jun 27, 2016
Bro you seem to have low self esteem. if an ordinary word from someone can bring you down like this, the u need to watch out before u commit suicide.
STOP CARING TOO MUCH WHAT PEOPLE SAY OR THINK ABOUT YOU. What will be will be and u cant satisfy human beings. Just do what u think and know is right and leave the rest to God.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jun 27, 2016
I wish I know you in person to teach you how the mind works just so you engineer you own mind to block out those negative thoughts. Anywho, Be strong and act nothing ever happened. Fake up confidence if you don't have one and you would subconsciously be confident of yourself.

To live a stress free life, study the life of the wisest and most educated man: Socrates.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by freecocoa(f): 9:59pm On Jun 27, 2016
Originalsly:
If you know you need not go back to school...why stress? Look at other angles. Let's reason. ... you just joined the staff... the new guy... the junior guy. Did you stick to your assignment .... doing it well? No... you took it upon yourself to go fix computers...couldn't wait for them to ask. You took it upon yourself to find solutions to other problems.... then do presentation pointing out ways in which the company can make strides. Now when you display such smartness...and problem solving abilities... the real bosses would take note... and guess who may have a big promotion?...a big raise in pay?...and whose job may be in jeopardy? Your fellow workers...all of them senior to you... and your boss would not wait around for just arrived you to become their boss. They know the possibility and are taking no chances...their jobs and positions must be secured....so guess who they would want to see go? For now. ..stick to your assignment only and all would be well.
While I understand what you said, I must say, you sounded like it's the Op's fault, so just wanna say that, OP shouldn't have to apologise for being smart and putting that smartness to work, it's the bosses and colleagues who are threatened by someone's strengths, instead of working to become better themselves, that should be ashamed.

Even if OP wasn't asked to help before he did, so long as it was with good intentions and not taking over/doing someone else's job to make that person look bad, then I think he deserves some credit.

2 Likes

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by biggie73(m): 10:02pm On Jun 27, 2016
Your boss had said you should return to school. Please do so.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by freecocoa(f): 10:06pm On Jun 27, 2016
LaurelP:
Bro you seem to have low self esteem. if an ordinary word from someone can bring you down like this, the u need to watch out before u commit suicide.
STOP CARING TOO MUCH WHAT PEOPLE SAY OR THINK ABOUT YOU. What will be will be and u cant satisfy human beings. Just do what u think and know is right and leave the rest to God.
It's not really low self esteem, he has a right to feel bad, not enough to kill himself ofcourse but nonetheless.

You are right though, it's always best not to let people's thought about you, define you, people are stupid anyways.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by baby124: 10:06pm On Jun 27, 2016
freecocoa:
While I understand what you said, I must say, you sounded like it's the Op's fault, so just wanna say that, OP shouldn't have to apologise for being smart and putting that smartness to work, it's the bosses and colleagues who are threatened by someone's strengths, instead of working to become better themselves, that should be ashamed.

Even if OP wasn't asked to help before he did, so long as it was with good intentions and not taking over/doing someone else's job to make that person look bad, then I think he deserves some credit.
Don't mind them. It is the fear of being called ITK that is making Nigeria as backward as it is. And the mumu boss is sitting his obese yansh calling someone who made an effort names.

This is why owners of companies should get to know their employees one on one. The boss is there to supervise, you the owner are in charge of managing and ensuring you retain and groom the best talent for the growth of your company.

An owner cannot leave such responsibility to some boss who has no future ambition. And this same boss can probably not even compete with his colleagues in the industry if he is so closed minded anyway. It is the owner's loss. I am sure as an owner I will fire that boss without pay if I as much as smell something like this is going on in my company. Shior. This is how they destroy other people's hardwork and then start complaining that they don't have job or the owner is wicked.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Nkysuccess(f): 10:07pm On Jun 27, 2016
I understand you brother, its not easy working for a boss that does not know how to talk to his staff. Criticism is part of life. But I encourage you to believe in yourself, also believe in God, and don't let it get to you. This one will pass and everything will be OK, such is life.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by MrHenshaw: 10:07pm On Jun 27, 2016
Yea,l know how you feel now but my humble advice for you is to Thank God if he genuinely sees incompetence and not wickedness or jealousy in you.lf possible this is the time to go and ask him where he thinks you can work on to improve yourself.Note this,Ur only a failure when you fall and fail to pick something from the ground.U can be hired as a consultant in the same company in future if you have the right associates and training.Time will tell.Best wishes.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by BABANGBALI: 10:07pm On Jun 27, 2016
XCLUX:
Mumu if d op needs your opinion he will buy u a brain.
ti e ba e
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by baby124: 10:10pm On Jun 27, 2016
OP, contrary to what people say. Do not go and paddy up with him. Keep being yourself and improve on yourself. He is probably keeping your colleagues under control by being abusive and destructive. You are there to learn and grow, not to be anybody's puppet. If that job will not enable you to grow, find another job and make sure you write a review on that boss when you are leaving and copy the owner.

2 Likes

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jun 27, 2016
When other people think differently about u, then u must be doing something right. Have u ever heard of Eagles? Bro. They fly alone and the are majestic. Keep your head high.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by omoiseselagba: 10:29pm On Jun 27, 2016
baby124:
Nigerian bosses can be extremely stu*pid. They don't know how to talk at all. At their position they don't know it all either. Why knock a young person down if you are not a lunatic. Sorry OP, don't define yourself by other people's madness. Your boss is a mad man. There is criticism and then destructive talk. He probably has very low self esteem and feels he needs to drag you down. Thank him for HIS opinion and keep working on yourself and find another job quick. Such personalities cannot be productive only destructive.
you spoke my mind.that boss is a MAD MAN.he is not worth anybody's time.this guy should just forget him,face his work and find a way out of the place.i have worked with a lunatic like that,i reported him straight to his supervisor and i gave him a stern warning too.i intimidate anybody who tires to intimidate me.i dont take shit from no body.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by freecocoa(f): 10:30pm On Jun 27, 2016
baby124:

Don't mind them. It is the fear of being called ITK that is making Nigeria as backward as it is. And the mumu boss is sitting his obese yansh calling someone who made an effort names.

This is why owners of companies should get to know their employees one on one. The boss is there to supervise, you the owner are in charge of managing and ensuring you retain and groom the best talent for the growth of your company.

An owner cannot leave such responsibility to some boss who has no future ambition. And this same boss can probably not even compete with his colleagues in the industry if he is so closed minded anyway. It is the owner's loss. I am sure as an owner I will fire that boss without pay if I as much as smell something like this is going on in my company. Shior. This is how they destroy other people's hardwork and then start complaining that they don't have job or the owner is wicked.
I tire my sister.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by ikombe: 10:31pm On Jun 27, 2016
LaurelP:
true talk ma nigga

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by deavicky(m): 10:31pm On Jun 27, 2016
Are you sure you really know anything? If yes, to hell with him. Go back to your drawing board and do something to make him pay.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by SamMilla1(m): 10:34pm On Jun 27, 2016
dammytosh:
calm down.

They might be jealous of you or it is possible you still have a lot to learn.

Your presentation skills might suck. You don't have to be proud, settle down and learn. It takes nothing from you.

When they say I am not good enough, it is an opportunity to be better than them because I won't rest until they admit so.

I learnt a very long time ago that LOW LIVES derive joy in talking INTELLIGENT people down just to make you feel less of yourself and make them feel good about things.

You are very right because if we don't tell this dude the truth, he might commit suicide.

@op
If they said you don't know anything, it means they want you to improve. Always remember that they don't know everything, even your boss.
The way you presented your English here told me you are not dumb. Don't work your morale down, rather try to improve and get better. No knowledge is a waste. If your boss has not made any move at sacking you, return to work every day and do your thing.
Every damn topic in whatever you studied is there on Google search.
If you know who I am or follow my stories, you will see that I studied and graduated from University of Google search Engine.
Despite not giving me a certificate, it improved me massively.

Finally, don't let anybody put you down. The only person that can put you down is You.

1 Like

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Richy4(m): 10:47pm On Jun 27, 2016
So they do not have HR where u are working?

That is 100% bullying....

Anyways Since u guys do not have HR. U can now settle down and do your job. Always give it the best shot....

The problem is that maybe u are too familiar with your work mates... U know what they say too much familiarity brings right?

I just said this because u have no business fixing their IT or software what ever...always stick to your own job...Try to be their last resort. even if u know it, be calm until it was obvious no one can do it.... I guess they feel u want to show that u knew everything... and they couldn't miss that opportunity to bring u down.

You are feeling this bad because they played an office politice on u and u couldn't take the heat...so since u can't take the heat, u have to be calm and stick to yoür job
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by bclint: 10:47pm On Jun 27, 2016
If i were to be u needless loosing concentreation see it as an opportunity to put in ur best nd prove him wrng...plz my frnd be ur self nd wrk hrd except u knw dat wat he said is real den...hmmmm
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by ststyreal(f): 10:56pm On Jun 27, 2016
lion042:
because you don't know anything grin
C petrol on top fire!!!!!. Stop making the guy feel worst please, he is probably bringing this to our knowledge because he needed to be encouraged. My dear op, be strong! It doesn't matter what they think of u, but what u think of your self. Try approaching one of those that made a negative comment, befriend him or her if possible in other to learn and know y they commented negatively on your presentation. If possible, pretend as if what they said never get to you. Just be strong and if u feel u can't cope again, just jejely drop their property before them go drop u. May God grant you the wisdom of Solomon in other to surprise your detractors, amen.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by inception101(m): 10:59pm On Jun 27, 2016
fragilebeing:

From being rated ok to being under probation...

And then the constant laughing to my face by my colleagues... marveling at my woe...

To criticizing my presentation after saying it was spot on before the main presentation...

Well....... I'm too downtrodden to type.

Moyo?
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Orikinla(m): 11:09pm On Jun 27, 2016
fragilebeing:
Summary: I got to know about a consulting firm here in Lagos and without second thought, I decided to start doing freelancing with them, reason being that it will be a great opportunity for me to put into use what I learnt in school. The freelancing agreement was not without a baggage that I will get absorbed into the system once there is any chance.

Fast forward, recently, the company underwent some expansion and restructuring and I was properly interviewed for a position that fits my ability and profile. While at this, I was rated by the other higher personnel to be very okay in terms of performance as I not only deliver on time, but also assist in fixing some office computer systems that had software problems which was not part of the job prescription anyway.

Problem: It all started when we asked to do presentation on some topics. In my case, I concentrated on identifying problems and suggesting possible solutions to them, surprisingly, the feedback I got was that I wasn't right. I immediately asked for another time to re-present it and my request was granted. Now, even before the time for presentation, I did a pre-presentation to all my colleagues and they say that it was ok, but surprisingly when they were asked to air their views on my performance after the presentation proper and I was given 70/100%, only one of them gave a positive comment, the rest said almost negative stuffs concerning my performance.

The climax was when the Boss asked me to go back to school as I don't know anything.

These got much better part of me and the thought of coming to work is no longer appealing.
I can't even think straight anymore...
Staying amidst of people is no longer fascinating let alone being among colleagues in the office.
I feel like it would have been better if I never existed in the first place.

Some of them laughing to my face consistently is bullying the crap out of me.

Please how can I overcome this?

Please don't mind my punctuation... I can't think straight right now.

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by ajsans: 11:12pm On Jun 27, 2016
freecocoa:
OP, I can imagine how you feel as I've been in a similar situation(only that in mine, I asked the boss why she hired me if I didn't pass the test, shame nearly killed her grin). Don't let what they did define you as you know that's not who you are, of course you'd be hurt as(as should be) but dust yourself up and work at being better than you already are, there's always something new to learn, you'd be surprised.

You also need to consider the possibility that there may be something you didn't do right, might actually just be an oversight, and because your boss is an a$$, he showed himself. As for your colleagues, believe it's nothing but envy/wickedness, that's the only explanation for their pettiness.

Now I don't really know you as a person to say you don't rub it in people's faces that you 'know', but I have to consider that, you know, that can really rub the wrong way, so I'd advice you desist from it, (again, I'm only assuming) still, this not a justifiable reason why you should be spoken to in that way.

Just cheer up, it's not really that serious if you are sure of yourself and yes, you can be, it's not a crime, just work at being better. See you talking of wanting to die, for this world wey dey sweet like this? No let me tell you say you no get sense o.grin
Well said, Infact words on marble.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by lyricalz: 11:15pm On Jun 27, 2016
Sori o bros, u sef why u go attend night school na?
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by dammytosh: 11:17pm On Jun 27, 2016
UIA04:

I suspect you are one of his backstabbing wicked colleagues.

When u are back stabbed, commit suicide.

Ok ?
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by dammytosh: 11:18pm On Jun 27, 2016
freecocoa:
What are you talking about? A careless statement from someone, that isn't relevant. Please how is it irrelevant? So it's okay to go about calling people useless after they put in their efforts to work?

So if I do something and my boss thinks it's wrong(regardless of whether it actually is) its cool he says whatever he wants to me? I don't understand this.

What difference does it make to who said it?

U cnt control people not to say suicidal things to you but u can control urself from committing suicide.

That is why whatever anybody says is irrelevant until u make it relevant by committing the suicide.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Top 11 Female Lawyers In Nigeria 2017 / The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think / Man Carrying 5 Bags Of Cement On His Head. ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.