Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:01 PM

My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. (33833 Views)

My Boss' Relationship With A Co-Worker Is Affecting Our Productivity / I Caught My Boss Pants Down With The Organization's Secretary / I Got This For Asking My Boss My February Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by remzytimer: 7:48am On Jun 28, 2016
Don't mind them, I want to tell you their is something special in you that your boss knows, he now see you as threat and purposely want to turn you down. Have confidence in your self, Appreciate God for who you are and for the little you know, there are millions of graduates that cannot stand you. You are good when they are using freely but when it is pay time you are not...Don't let anyone intimidate you.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by innuit: 7:48am On Jun 28, 2016
fragilebeing:
Summary: I got to know about a consulting firm here in Lagos and without second thought, I decided to start doing freelancing with them, reason being that it will be a great opportunity for me to put into use what I learnt in school. The freelancing agreement was not without a baggage that I will get absorbed into the system once there is any chance.

Fast forward, recently, the company underwent some expansion and restructuring and I was properly interviewed for a position that fits my ability and profile. While at this, I was rated by the other higher personnel to be very okay in terms of performance as I not only deliver on time, but also assist in fixing some office computer systems that had software problems which was not part of the job prescription anyway.

Problem: It all started when we asked to do presentation on some topics. In my case, I concentrated on identifying problems and suggesting possible solutions to them, surprisingly, the feedback I got was that I wasn't right. I immediately asked for another time to re-present it and my request was granted. Now, even before the time for presentation, I did a pre-presentation to all my colleagues and they say that it was ok, but surprisingly when they were asked to air their views on my performance after the presentation proper and I was given 70/100%, only one of them gave a positive comment, the rest said almost negative stuffs concerning my performance.

The climax was when the Boss asked me to go back to school as I don't know anything.

These got much better part of me and the thought of coming to work is no longer appealing.
I can't even think straight anymore...
Staying amidst of people is no longer fascinating let alone being among colleagues in the office.
I feel like it would have been better if I never existed in the first place.

Some of them laughing to my face consistently is bullying the crap out of me.

Please how can I overcome this?

Please don't mind my punctuation... I can't think straight right now.

I would suggest you meet with your boss and have a frank discussion about the areas he believes you need to improve. Don't try to defend yourself. Take everything he tells you in good faith and work to improve yourself. I would also suggest you find a mentor.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Nobody: 7:50am On Jun 28, 2016
fragilebeing:

be aware that most often the way people treat you is not a reflection of who you are But a reflection of who THEY are.

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Nobody: 7:57am On Jun 28, 2016
A Human Resource / Real Estate Consulting Firm in Lagos needs the services of a Business Analyst, Commission Agent, Sales Representative, Marketers, Public Relation Officer and a Cleaner. Interested canditates should call to know the mood of application 07031972866, 07086560323. candidates must be well presentable. Qualification: SSCE OND HND B.Sc
Note: This is a direct employment all candidates must reside in lagos.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by dauntless15(m): 8:06am On Jun 28, 2016
Lifestone:
Good talk here.
I once had similar experience early in my career when I worked with the then Anderson consulting (Accenture) who was consulting for our company.
My Answer: Straight to the library to study harder
Result: Commendation from same set of guys laughing at me
most of these people doing the bullying might not be as intelligent as you, but you know thats the way people are.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by odedeleisaac: 8:45am On Jun 28, 2016
We are now in the erra of modernizing technology everyday. Get up and improve upon your ability to prove you are current with new ways of doing things and update your school kowledge to new day practical technology world wide
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by shokayz(m): 8:52am On Jun 28, 2016
My candid advice bro is for to start searching for another job and resign if you get one. It happened to me once and I most confess it's a terrible experience. Before you know it, you'll loose all the confidence in you to the extent of not being able to answer a simple question of 1+1 confidently.
Stop that job bro

1 Like

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Wyntah: 9:04am On Jun 28, 2016
The people you surround yourself with matters a lot if you are an emotional person. You should be weary of people with double faced attributes like those your staff.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by 1dickatatime: 9:35am On Jun 28, 2016
Look guy, you may actually need to go back to "school" to learn the real skills. You see what they are trying to tell you is that You haven't been able to convert your classroom knowledge to Workplace skills and as such you dont come across as someone with something to offer. They dont hate you, rather you should be thankful because this is an opportunity to improve yourself.

The issue might also be that you assumed you know when you don't actually know and this might have made you ignore corrections and bruised the ego of people you work with.

Put your ears down, learn tricks that are not by the books, swallow your ego and develop a better attitude ( that's not to say you dont have a good one). Keep freelancing with them it's an invaluable platform to improve yourself
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Samuelaloneguy(m): 10:09am On Jun 28, 2016
When some people see that you are doing better than them you become a potential threat to them so they will find all means to get you out of the job and that is one of the skills they just performed in your sight. Don't be dismiss because brighter days are coming.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by seekingsch: 10:35am On Jun 28, 2016
Summary: I got to know about a consulting firm here in Lagos and without second thought, I decided to start doing freelancing with them, reason being that it will be a great opportunity for me to put into use what I learnt in school. The freelancing agreement was not without a baggage that I will get absorbed into the system once there is any chance.

Fast forward, recently, the company underwent some expansion and restructuring and I was properly interviewed for a position that fits my ability and profile. While at this, I was rated by the other higher personnel to be very okay in terms of performance as I not only deliver on time, but also assist in fixing some office computer systems that had software problems which was not part of the job prescription anyway.

Problem: It all started when we asked to do presentation on some topics. In my case, I concentrated on identifying problems and suggesting possible solutions to them, surprisingly, the feedback I got was that I wasn't right. I immediately asked for another time to re-present it and my request was granted. Now, even before the time for presentation, I did a pre-presentation to all my colleagues and they say that it was ok, but surprisingly when they were asked to air their views on my performance after the presentation proper and I was given 70/100%, only one of them gave a positive comment, the rest said almost negative stuffs concerning my performance.

The climax was when the Boss asked me to go back to school as I don't know anything.

These got much better part of me and the thought of coming to work is no longer appealing.
Staying amidst of people is no longer fascinating let alone being among colleagues in the office.

Please don't mind my punctuation... I can't think straight right now. Keep doing your best and developing yourself. It's a push to improve and we all have a lot to learn including your boss. That's how we live.Plus don't put too much trust in peoples opinion as they may not really reveal all.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by seekingsch: 10:36am On Jun 28, 2016
[color=#550000][/color]
seekingsch:

Please don't mind my punctuation... I can't think straight right now. Keep doing your best and developing yourself. It's a push to improve and we all have a lot to learn including your boss. That's how we live.Plus don't put too much trust in peoples opinion as they may not really reveal all.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by boyesola: 11:05am On Jun 28, 2016
You have now become your personal enemy! Depression is self made enemy. All that happened in your office is not a big deal that has now box you into destruction. You said you did well before and all of them commended you, but now condemnation, but you are still you. Change your orientation about your personality, overlook their disapproval and bounce back again. it all start from your mind and interpretation.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by mentorandfriend(m): 11:05am On Jun 28, 2016
You're not great because someone said you're great. You're great because YOU ARE GREAT. It's not an attributed value. It's an inherent value.

If you go through life attaching great thoughts and sentiments to who people think you are, your journey through life will be sinusoidal, with more troughs than peaks.

I've been talked down in rounds by consultants in front of patients, but do I allow it affect me? No. Whenever I handle the blade on a patient in the theatre, I go ahead and do what I know best. I'm the master of my purpose in life.

Let your purpose in life be greater than people's opinions about you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by chopyfada: 11:19am On Jun 28, 2016
They said same thing to Mary Key. Today she is a global brand in the world of beauty. If I am lying ask the ladies. Over 30 companies rejected Jack Ma of Alibaba that he was not good enough. Today he is a news to talk about. Rise up bro,you are are project in the making
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by goziem1982(m): 12:06pm On Jun 28, 2016
Guy for you to have 70%/100%,it means you're good. Only keep yourself update, keep moving
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by okangisaiah(f): 12:07pm On Jun 28, 2016
fragilebeing:

Please don't mind my punctuation... I can't think straight right now.

Bro the best antidote for this is to laugh, yes laugh it out. Whatever they do or say just keep smiling and laughing out each time, I tell you they will be confused. But when you get angry or show expressions of anger they will be happy to bully you more. Do this and thank me later.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by donodion(m): 1:18pm On Jun 28, 2016
mentorandfriend:
You're not great because someone said you're great. You're great because YOU ARE GREAT. It's not an attributed value. It's an inherent value.

If you go through life attaching great thoughts and sentiments to who people think you are, your journey through life will be sinusoidal, with more troughs than peaks.

I've been talked down in rounds by consultants in front of patients, but do I allow it affect me? No. Whenever I handle the blade on a patient in the theatre, I go ahead and do what I know best. I'm the master of my purpose in life.

Let your purpose in life be greater than people's opinions about you.

Word brother, Word!!!

1 Like

Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by armadeo(m): 7:03pm On Jun 28, 2016
dammytosh:
calm down.

They might be jealous of you or it is possible you still have a lot to learn.

Your presentation skills might suck. You don't have to be proud, settle down and learn. It takes nothing from you.

When they say I am not good enough, it is an opportunity to be better than them because I won't rest until they admit so.

I learnt a very long time ago that LOW LIVES derive joy in talking INTELLIGENT people down just to make you feel less of yourself and make them feel good about things.

Respek mon
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by armadeo(m): 7:05pm On Jun 28, 2016
fragilebeing:

From being rated ok to being under probation...

And then the constant laughing to my face by my colleagues... marveling at my woe...

To criticizing my presentation after saying it was spot on before the main presentation...

Well....... I'm too downtrodden to type.

Op indeed the part of the post you should concentrate on is the end of his statement. When.peopl laugh at you enmasse it's either you are really dumb in which case theyvdont brother to laugh or you are much Bette than they are in which case the mock you to brimg you to thier level.

My advice is ignore and keep flying.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Nyceguy92: 11:47pm On Jun 28, 2016
[quote author=fragilebeing post=46980620]

Listen to their own presentations and compare with what you know.
Is there any approach, idea, analysis, etc that they used in their presentation that is like "wow, I didn't know this before" to you.

Otherwise, if everything they say or do is same as you would done to a great extent, then you need not worry.
Challenge yourself to excel and let them be put to shame.
Re: My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. by Mustay(m): 4:57pm On Jul 01, 2016
fragilebeing:
Summary: I got to know about a consulting firm here in Lagos and without second thought.

Unfortunately, I will not motivate you with positive comments about how "great" you are. Rather, I will give you the reality. It's called OFFICE POLITICS and it's not a game of knowledge or the likes, It's about surviving in the 'animal kingdom'.

I highlighted this part of your write-up cos it is where you'll learn from - do not assume that you have friends, you only have colleagues. It is possible that these (older) colleagues of yours know the office environment well and when it came to where they ought to 'perform', they fumbled! That's life for you. You need to open up your mind to criticisms even if within you, you know it has no basis. However, do not be a card in the game that can be thrown anyhow.

Make use of this experience positively. You will have a story to write tomorrow about it. In some other organizations, they even insult staff (though I don't condone this). Believe in yourself and learn from each party, no matter how crazy it sounds.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Army 87RRI Shortlisted Candidates 2024/2025 / The Illusion Of Big Pay: Nigerian Oil & Gas Workers Ain't Exactly What You Think / Man Carrying 5 Bags Of Cement On His Head. ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.