Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:50 PM

Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad (5739 Views)

Inter-tribal Dating Good Or Bad?? / Things To Know Before Dating African Men / 16 Things You Should Know Before Dating A Short Girl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by Omolola1(f): 10:36am On Sep 11, 2009
Is it good to be friends before dating, yes or no.
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by CrazyMan(m): 1:55pm On Sep 11, 2009
Well I would say its ok to be friends first; because being friends would enable you to know him/her deeply before you begin to consider about getting emotional involved.
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by Gabry(f): 1:57pm On Sep 11, 2009
My bf and I were best friends for 2 years before we started dating. Now if I count the dating part, its 4 years and still going strong so I guess its good
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by iice(f): 1:59pm On Sep 11, 2009
Yes and i'm still friends with all of them cool
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by sesman(m): 2:04pm On Sep 11, 2009
absolutely, my other half and i were very good friends before we started dating, wink
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by TheSeeker(m): 2:08pm On Sep 11, 2009
In my opinion, being friends should have its limits. When you're friends, what do you talk about? Do you both have an intention of dating each other or is it going to happen at a random time? What are you both on about with your friendship?

From experience, some girls won't be quite comfortable with you when you have become very deep friends. If you have plunged into that pool of very very deep friendship, the relationship will not work; and most pathetically, the girl will tend to shy away from dating you. Reasons ranging from the fact that you're so used to each other and there may not be really much fun, to she being shy, to she being generally uncomfortable and not knowing where to start from.

I say you shouldn't be friends for such long a time before you start dating or you will miss the chance, because when the relationship starts in the first place, it may definitely crash. That you know a lot about each other doesn't guarantee that you'll not break up even in the most hurtful manner.
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by junero: 2:14pm On Sep 11, 2009
just new to the chart room??i saw dis topic and am intrested in it becos i have a girl dat want me to be his frnd but inside of me i need to be very close/loving/caring with her, so my new frnds kindly help me out wit a bit of advice,
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by Czarskit(m): 2:15pm On Sep 11, 2009
It's the best!!!
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by junero: 2:22pm On Sep 11, 2009
The sesker u sounded so great, are name is F*N*I and she's in my department and i just started talkin with her not quite long,but at first i told her we sh'd be ordinary friends and she said no probes, but now i see her as no more as a frnd but rader want an intimancy btw US?HOW CAN DAT WORK,
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by TheSeeker(m): 2:49pm On Sep 11, 2009
junero:

The sesker u sounded so great, are name is F*N*I and she's in my department and i just started talkin with her not quite long,but at first i told her we sh'd be ordinary friends and she said no probes, but now i see her as no more as a frnd but rader want an intimancy btw US?HOW CAN DAT WORK,
I say limit the things you do with her and keep it at just platonic friendship. Sometimes, you don't know when you're getting too deep and you may have found yourself there before you know it; then she starts to like someone else she wants to date and you end up being jealous.
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by Dclique(m): 5:52pm On Sep 11, 2009
Its very good. You guys should 1st be pals before you start hitting it.
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by Ssssugar: 6:48pm On Sep 11, 2009
I think being friends first is very good for a relationship.
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by jediknight(m): 10:56pm On Sep 11, 2009
I feel it depends on what ur looking for. if you're looking for a keeper i'll say its okay to be frnds but not like best frnds. i feel u shld become best frnds while ur dating.

but one thing for sure don't get relegated to "being frnds" if you want to be more. Thats really sucks and a very wussy move.
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by Omolola1(f): 3:15pm On Sep 14, 2009
i feel its good to be friends b4 dating but not best of friends
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by bilqiss(f): 3:24pm On Sep 14, 2009
Friends before dating? that would rub off the shine! But ok, the issue of trust woulda been built up, so maybe it aint a bad idea. Never tried it though. Too much chemistry cheesy.
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by LordReed(m): 3:49pm On Sep 14, 2009
TheSeeker:

In my opinion, being friends should have its limits. When you're friends, what do you talk about? Do you both have an intention of dating each other or is it going to happen at a random time? What are you both on about with your friendship?

From experience, some girls won't be quite comfortable with you when you have become very deep friends. If you have plunged into that pool of very very deep friendship, the relationship will not work; and most pathetically, the girl will tend to shy away from dating you. Reasons ranging from the fact that you're so used to each other and there may not be really much fun, to she being shy, to she being generally uncomfortable and not knowing where to start from.

I say you shouldn't be friends for such long a time before you start dating or you will miss the chance, because when the relationship starts in the first place, it may definitely crash. That you know a lot about each other doesn't guarantee that you'll not break up even in the most hurtful manner.

I beg to differ on all such opinions becos there is wat is called 'Taking It To Another Level'. The friendship level has it limits dat u can't cross n still remain friends. Wen u cross such limits u inevitably are saying u want anoda level. So you most definitely can go from friends to lovers if u dare.

As to good or bad I believe it's all in the transition. If both parties transit with the clear view of where they are heading it will be good. If either 1 should loose sight of wat it all means they'll crash n burn - bad.

1 Like

Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by Yumi(f): 4:16pm On Sep 14, 2009
Good - if the people involved are both serious and committed to making it work. if you are going to do it otherwise make sure its going to work.

Bad - if its not taken seriously and one party tries to use the other as you not only lose a lover you lose a friend at the same time.
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by sicily4u: 5:26pm On Sep 14, 2009
for me i think is better to hit the point at initial place instead of waisting time, am speaking from experince, there is one girl that i toast and i told her that i want her to be my girl friend, i mean my lover gues what she told me, sorry we cant be lover because i have a boy friend we can only be friends, that funny
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by yme1(f): 5:30pm On Sep 14, 2009
dont be frds for long
cause when i consider some one to be a friend then frds we are for life
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by topup: 6:08pm On Sep 14, 2009
It completely depends on the individuals, sometimes some people find it awkward, whilst you have those friends who are merely pretending that they are in a platonic relationship, and they can make the transition pretty smoothly. In terms of time, yes I understand that a friendship can become so permanent that if the two people felt they had complementing personalities that they would find it difficult to transition. However, I believe that it's never wise to do anything if it feels forced, I witnessed a friend tell me how this amazing friend of hers who had all the qualities she wanted in a man was her close friend all along (1 year). However, when she admitted that she had feelings for him, he withdrew, it seemed to him, he was not attracted to her personality and her as a person, but just interested by her, intriguied by their discussions.

This made me realise that compatibility isn't the only requirement needed for a relationship. There needs to be some attraction, hopefully some physical attraction also, with this combination, it's perfect. I guess those 'fake' platonic relationships are those where the relationship is built on the fact that the two people get along so well, but also there is an undercurrent of sexual attraction to the opposite sex. I think these friendships are the types that stand a greater chance in being successfully converted into lasting relationships smiley.

There's a song by Jason Mraz: Lucky. The line goes: "I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend, I'm lucky to have had what could have been. ."

"They don't know how long it takes, to find a love like this." And yes the lyrics are right, a relationship like this is very unique.
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by ebila(m): 8:02pm On Sep 14, 2009
@poster,
Definately,YES!!! That way u don't have to start from scratch wif all those awkard moments! grin
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by CrazyMan(m): 8:13pm On Sep 14, 2009
TheSeeker:

This is where I have no choice than to agree with you.
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by Nobody: 8:20pm On Sep 14, 2009
If by being friends it means that the person in question actually 'likes' you as a human being and not only lusts after you, then by all means, be friends first off.
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by Secretz(f): 9:08pm On Sep 14, 2009
It's good, until a certain point. . . . . otherwise I begin to see you like a brother. . . and once you are viewed that way then we aint going anywhere. grin
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by Baxilexi(m): 10:13pm On Sep 14, 2009
No. dont be friends
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by Yumi(f): 10:23pm On Sep 14, 2009
I think your life partner should be your best friend,  so personally I think it can work and its a good idea.  From now on I am only going to see people I have been friends with for a period of time first. However I wouldn't do it with a friend I have had for years unless I was sure it was going to work.
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by tRoOE(f): 4:04am On Sep 15, 2009
duh u've got to be friends 1st, or what other way wuld u get knw each other
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by sjeezy8: 4:12am On Sep 15, 2009
^^^ lmfao
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by jonath0012(m): 9:57am On Sep 15, 2009
I absolutely agreed with what "the seeker" said. I've had similar experience
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by shayoor(f): 12:52pm On Sep 15, 2009
lol
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by lexibaba(m): 1:02am On Sep 16, 2009
dating a friend is always very good but most ladies would never want to date a friend tht they already see as a brother, note tht they wouldn't want to but tht doesn't mean it can't happen

the best ones are friends tht never intended to date but it suddenly happened.(talking 4rm experience)
Re: Friends Before Dating - Good Or Bad by kelzniaja(m): 2:29am On Sep 16, 2009
being friends before dating is a great idea. some people make great friends but are horrible as a couple ya know.

(1) (Reply)

Guy Leaks Pussy Shape That Made Marriage To Be Cancelled (Disturbing Pics) / Ladies: If He Hasn't Bought You A Gift After 3months Of Dating Do This... / To Date a Black American

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.