Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,949 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:52 PM

Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? - Politics (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? (20356 Views)

Poll: Nigeria or your Ethnicity?

Nigeria: 52% (20 votes)
Ethnicity: 47% (18 votes)
This poll has ended

Emma Anyanwu Disowns His Son, Charles, Loyal To Amaechi / Wike Sacks Board Of Directors Loyal To Amaechi / Photos: Thugs Loyal To PDP Allegedly Attack APC Chieftain In Gombe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Sep 22, 2009
ezeagu:

Do you know our history? Do you read current events happening in Nigeria?
Nope.

I'm talking about ethnic groups fighting against each other for pointless reasons, no matter who started what, why can't we just be 'one' (corny, I know) then again, if wishes were horses, I'm being unrealistic I know.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Sep 22, 2009
ezeagu:

Thats not the question, its more like would you stay on Nigeria's side if your ethnic group went to war.  wink

I have lived in an Igbo village and the amount of Efik, Ibibio, African Americans, Edo, Jamaicans! that are in these remote places shows that what you wrote is not true. There would also be Fulani, Hausa and Yoruba women in our communities if you guys married more outside your ethnicities. That is why the Igbo are the least homogenous nation in Nigeria, because we allow anybody into our communities.  grin And when they come to the east they never want to leave! Maybe royal families and such would discriminate, but I haven't heard of it among common folk ever. Its only out of the will of individual community members that decides marriage, and of course the woman's character and parents approval.

Ezeagu stop telling lies. Let me give a quick breakdown of the commonly and culturally acceptable partners for Igbo men. All things being equal.

1. Igbo women
2. Calabar women (Efik, etc)
3. Foreign women (whites, then other races)
4.Other Africans (including midwesterners like Edo, etc)

On a scale of say 1-10, Yoruba and hausa women would be somewhere near the bottom of the list, assuming they appear at all, since most Igbos would be prefer it be a taboo for an Igbo man to marry a Yoruba or Hausa woman.

No1 and 2 may be interchangeable btw.

That doesnt mean it doesnt happen, but you and I both know how the family would initially feel about their Igbo son introducing a Yoruba woman as his fiancee. The few exceptions would be if that family is relatively more exposed or has lived and assimilated outside Igbo land and culture.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by platinumnk(f): 7:19pm On Sep 22, 2009
ibkaye:

Nope.

I'm talking about ethnic groups fighting against each other for pointless reasons, no matter who started what, why can't we just be 'one' (corny, I know) then again, if wishes were horses, I'm being unrealistic I know.

Its  not saying we cant work in peace. Would u perfer we drop all our languages and speak english?

@OnlyTruth- Dalu kiss
@Tpia- you are absoutly correct.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by dapsycool(m): 7:36pm On Sep 22, 2009
I go for Yoruba! Yoruba! Yoruba! Yoruba!
Nigeria=Shit hole grin grin Igbo=thief thief and okija shrine tongue Hausa = animals grin south south = kidnappers wink
Go bless Yoruba cool cool
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nigerd(m): 8:13pm On Sep 22, 2009
dapsycool:

I go for Yoruba! Yoruba! Yoruba! Yoruba!
Nigeria=Shit hole grin grin Igbo=thief thief and okija shrine tongue Hausa = animals grin south south = kidnappers wink
Go bless Yoruba cool cool

Every tribe has her own shortcoming when it come to characters but u named every other region with peculiarity, but u forgot to name the Yoruba,

1.who get married and still have concubine outside, i mean the woman now
2. who are so dirty that has to put bucket of shit and urine inside the house
3. who have to wear the same clothes over and over again
4. who give birth and lose her shape intentionally turns MAMA nla

pls there are still lots to say about the tribe yoruba

only that majorly in yoruba land it is peaceful and u might be able to have a good Education but character wise they are far from it.

my bro please balance it up, every region has her own virtues and values,
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Kobojunkie: 8:21pm On Sep 22, 2009
@Poster, I am loyal to no mortal being or nation! grin
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by ezeagu(m): 8:32pm On Sep 22, 2009
dapsycool:

Igbo=thief thief and okija shrine

Do you mean we thief thief scholarships?
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by SapeleGuy: 9:30pm On Sep 22, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Some interesting qualities there, you have the makings of a PDP chieftain.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Kobojunkie: 9:31pm On Sep 22, 2009
Problem is I have no clue what the one has to do with the other there. By the way, your fear of the PDP is noted!
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Onlytruth(m): 9:39pm On Sep 22, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Some interesting qualities there, you have the makings of a PDP chieftain.

I rest my case about Kobo! grin
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by sjeezy8: 9:47pm On Sep 22, 2009
This should be about whether one is loyal to ethnicity or Nigeria- Not speaking of Nigeria against one specific ethnicity because that would never happen and never has. Those igbos who think Nigeria is working against them are working against themselves because NOT ALL IGBOS BELIEVE IN BIAFRA as MANY YORUBAS DONT WANT ANY ODUDUWA REPUBLIC ANY TIME SOON.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by SapeleGuy: 9:54pm On Sep 22, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Problem is I have no clue what the one has to do with the other there. By the way, your fear of the PDP is noted!

And there lies the problem. If you don't care for your country or care for the people, the end product can't be too dissimilar to the leadership of present day Nigeria.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by SapeleGuy: 9:58pm On Sep 22, 2009
sjeezy8:

This should be about whether one is loyal to ethnicity or Nigeria- Not speaking of Nigeria against one specific ethnicity because that would never happen and never has. Those igbos who think Nigeria is working against them are working against themselves because NOT ALL IGBOS BELIEVE IN BIAFRA as MANY YORUBAS DONT WANT ANY ODUDUWA REPUBLIC ANY TIME SOON.

So are you in favour of all of us sitting down to thrash out a mutually beneficial arrangement? a sovereign national conference perhaps?
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by sjeezy8: 10:01pm On Sep 22, 2009
SapeleGuy:

So are you in favour of all of us sitting down to thrash out a mutually beneficial arrangement? a sovereign national conference perhaps?

Of course 100% that is what is needed in Nigeria.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Onlytruth(m): 10:04pm On Sep 22, 2009
sjeezy8:

Of course 100% that is what is needed in Nigeria.

It is easy to be flippant. The key question is would you accept the outcome, whatever it is?
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by sjeezy8: 10:05pm On Sep 22, 2009
Onlytruth:

It is easy to be flippant. The key question is would you accept the outcome, whatever it is?

Didn't i just say yes or are you blind? for progress as a nation compromise is needed
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by chic2pimp(m): 10:07pm On Sep 22, 2009
The fact of the matter is that Nigeria is one and would forever remain so.

There is nothing y'all can do or say to change that.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Onlytruth(m): 10:08pm On Sep 22, 2009
sjeezy8:

Didn't i just say yes or are you blind? for progress as a nation comprimise is needed

You may want to first clear that with your folks who refused even 25% resource control. Don't insult me, just answer the question.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Kobojunkie: 10:09pm On Sep 22, 2009
Kobojunkie:

SapeleGuy:

And there lies the problem. If you don't care for your country or care for the people, the end product can't be too dissimilar to the leadership of present day Nigeria.

How did you jump from what I posted above to what you have there? I mean how did you make this connection? HOW?
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by sjeezy8: 10:13pm On Sep 22, 2009
Onlytruth:

You may want to first clear that with your folks who refused even 25% resource control. Don't insult me, just answer the question.

what folks?
Are yorubas the majority in government to vote on resource control?
What about the East states that dont produce as much oil as the South South?

Before you sound like an ASS learn alittle
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by SapeleGuy: 10:14pm On Sep 22, 2009
chic2pimp:

The fact of the matter is that Nigeria is one and would remain so.

There is nothing y'all can do or say to change that.

A sovereign national conference doesn't have to mean breaking up. It could be the beginning of true federalism. Why are some people scared?

It is precisely because some people love their country and their people that they want to find a better way.
In an uncertain world, change is the only certainty and with persistence everything is possible.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by udezue(m): 10:19pm On Sep 22, 2009
All Eastern states with or without oil voted in favor while the West voted against it with the North.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Onlytruth(m): 10:19pm On Sep 22, 2009
Let me tell you what a successful sovereign national conference would mean to me as an Igboman (minimum that must be achieved):

1. 100% resouce control ( I might accept 50%)
2. State or Regional Police (or both) -not negotiable!
3. Abolition of quota system (introduce merit based system) for admission to schools, military, federal government jobs and employment. -not negotiable!
4. Abolition of sharia law in the north (helps quell religious extremism)- can be allowed if Nigerians are allowed to own as much weapon at home as they choose.

The list is not exhaustive but I can live with these in ONE NIGERIA

If you cannot give me these, forget it. Even if I accept it, my generation unborn CAN NEVER ACCEPT IT.
So choose one: One Nigeria or Biafra (even if only Igboland is Biafra).
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by SapeleGuy: 10:22pm On Sep 22, 2009
Kobojunkie:

How did you jump from what I posted above to what you have there? I mean how did you make this connection? HOW?

I have already given you the answer, think on it for a day or so and let us know if you feel differently.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by sjeezy8: 10:29pm On Sep 22, 2009
Onlytruth:

Let me tell you what a successful sovereign national conference would mean to me as an Igboman (minimum that must be achieved):

1. 100% resouce control ( I might accept 50%)
2. State or Regional Police (or both) -not negotiable!
3. Abolition of quota system (introduce merit based system) for admission to schools, military, federal government jobs and employment. -not negotiable!
4. Abolition of sharia law in the north (helps quell religious extremism)- can be allowed if Nigerians are allowed to own as much weapon at home as they choose.

The list is not exhaustive but I can live with these in ONE NIGERIA

If you cannot give me these, forget it. Even if I accept it, my generation unborn CAN NEVER ACCEPT IT.
So choose one: One Nigeria or Biafra (even if only Igboland is Biafra).

shocked shocked shocked
[size=13pt] EVERYONE ON DISPLAY THE GREEDINESS OF  IGBOMEN, WHAT CONCERNS YOU WITH SHARIA LAW IN THE NORTH? YOU ARE CHRISTIAN IN THE SOUTH!!!! [/size]
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Kobojunkie: 10:33pm On Sep 22, 2009
SapeleGuy:

I have already given you the answer, think on it for a day or so and let us know if you feel differently.

You made baseless assertions unrelated to my post, and you call that an answer? Sigh!!! undecided
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Onlytruth(m): 10:34pm On Sep 22, 2009
sjeezy8:

shocked shocked shocked
[size=13pt] EVERYONE ON DISPLAY THE GREEDINESS OF IGBOMEN, WHAT CONCERNS YOU WITH SHARIA LAW IN THE NORTH? YOU ARE CHRISTIAN IN THE SOUTH!!!! [/size]

I'll answer you because of foreigners who may be reading this.
Igbos die in the north every time there is a religious riot in the north. If we are one Nigeria, that means Igbos should be able to  live anywhere in Nigeria, right? So why enact a law that compels Nigerians of the Christian faith (Igbos) to live Islamic livestyles. Unless you are saying the Igbos shouldn't live in the north, in which case you should ask us to leave Nigeria. Right? You've gat to choose one bro!!
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by sjeezy8: 10:36pm On Sep 22, 2009
Onlytruth:

I'll answer you because of foreigners who may be reading this.
Igbos die in the north every time there is a religious riot in the north. If we are one Nigeria, that means Igbos should be able to  live anywhere in Nigeria, right? So why enact a law that compels Nigerians of the Christian faith (Igbos) to live Islamic livestyles. Unless you are saying the Igbos shouldn't live in the north, in which case you should ask us to leave Nigeria. Right? You've gat to choose one bro!!

[size=13pt]STAY IN THE SOUTH THEN, AND BUILD/BETTER YOUR OWN HOMELAND!!!!!! SIMPLE[/size]
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Onlytruth(m): 10:38pm On Sep 22, 2009
sjeezy8:

[size=13pt]STAY IN THE SOUTH THEN, AND BUILD YOUR OWN HOMELAND!!!!!! SIMPLE[/size]

So, in your logic, you take 50% to 75% of my resource (oil, tax and the rest) to the north, but you want me to stay in the south, right?
[size=14pt]Stupidity will destroy Nigeria faster than anything else[/size]!
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by sjeezy8: 10:40pm On Sep 22, 2009
Onlytruth:

So, in your logic, you take 50% to 75% of my resource (oil, tax and the rest) to the north, but you want me to stay in the south, right?
Stupidity will destroy Nigeria faster than anything else!

I know seeing as how you dont that most of that money isn't going to nothern cities but to the pockets of northern governors!!!!!!!

why are you so stupid?
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Onlytruth(m): 10:40pm On Sep 22, 2009
That is why we have an omnibus demand -BIAFRA
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by sjeezy8: 10:42pm On Sep 22, 2009
ok demand it but you aint getting shit

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply)

Amaechi May Cancel NGF Meeting In Deference To Jonathan / Lagos Judge Reads Ruling In Darkness As Power Went Off In Courtroom / 'Free Leah Sharibu': Tom Brake Protests At Nigerian High Commission In UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.