Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,121 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:12 PM

Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? (20340 Views)

Poll: Nigeria or your Ethnicity?

Nigeria: 52% (20 votes)
Ethnicity: 47% (18 votes)
This poll has ended

Emma Anyanwu Disowns His Son, Charles, Loyal To Amaechi / Wike Sacks Board Of Directors Loyal To Amaechi / Photos: Thugs Loyal To PDP Allegedly Attack APC Chieftain In Gombe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by SapeleGuy: 9:45pm On Sep 11, 2009
I have thought about this for a long time and followed a lot of debates here on nairaland. Tribalism seems to be the verbal grenade that is lobbed here with monotonous regularity. In the midst of this, I find myself asking:

Is it a bad thing to be proud of your ethnicity?
Can the love of ones ethnicity be a progressive force?
Can this love be  displayed with mutual respect for others as opposed to jingoism?
Can we really coexist  as equals?

It seems a lot of us are torn between what we think is the right thing to say and what we know to be right in our hearts.

Afterall, we should be patriotic. In truth, where does your loyalty lie?

Do you put the interests of Nigeria first or do you put the interest of your Ethnicity first ?

I will ask for a favour, please try and be honest.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Bialegend(m): 9:52pm On Sep 11, 2009
Anyone that comes in here to tell you that nigeria comes first before his ethnic group is a complete hypocrite and should be stoned. We have all seen how the awusas are proclaiming their so called UNITY and ONE nigeria which is by refusing to listen and work together with others for the progress of nigeria. They only think about their northern nigeria, yet will want those gullible southerners to think about nigeria as a whole. Nigeria my arrsss.  Nonsense!!!
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by SapeleGuy: 10:11pm On Sep 11, 2009
If they really put ethnicity first, how come there is not one progressive region in North, East, West or South?
Suffer dey everywhere kokoroko.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by sjeezy8: 10:21pm On Sep 11, 2009
kaboooom grin

My loyalty is to Nigeria even though some folks think imma triablist

Im a proud yoruba Lagosian cool but that doesn't mean i think nothing can be learned from other regions/ethnicities

and i cant imagine a Lagos/Nigeria without igbo, Tiv, Bini,ijo, fulani, outside yorubas,etc
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by spoOne: 10:27pm On Sep 11, 2009
sjeezy8:

kaboooom grin

Im a proud yoruba Lagosian cool but that doesn't mean i think nothing can be learned from other regions/ethnicities

and i cant imagine a Lagos/Nigeria without igbo, Tiv, Bini,ijo, fulani, outside yorubas,etc

Now that's a bright young man talking! smiley
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Beaf: 10:30pm On Sep 11, 2009
The 1% of the population who understand the "Nigerian game" are far from tribalistic. Indeed, they put their pockets before both nation and ethnicity.

Ethnicity is used as both a power base and a vicious divide and rule weapon against the remaining 99%. We hear about Afenifere, Arewa and Ohaneze; they are all fucking tools of the elite 1%.

Obviously, if we want to progress and overthrow the status quo, we are better off seeing one another as fellow humans.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by SapeleGuy: 10:37pm On Sep 11, 2009
sjeezy8:

kaboooom grin

But which comes first or is closest to your heart? Reading between the lines you are proud yoruba but loyal nigerian.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Bialegend(m): 10:48pm On Sep 11, 2009
sjeezy8:

kaboooom grin

Yes, so you can keep benefiting from the hard workers, while you sit out your trait lazy arrss at home and wait for rent payment day. Why don't you ask for your own oduduwa country where you can do all alone without being a nuisance to others? Must you be in the same country with Igbos? Ohh, i forgot, your survivial depends on the Igbos. Alaye.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by ezeagu(m): 10:54pm On Sep 11, 2009
SapeleGuy:

If they really put ethnicity first, how come there is not one progressive region in North, East, West or South?
Suffer dey everywhere kokoroko.

Lack of education • Work ethic • No resources.

The ones who do have this is in the north are probably super rich.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by spoOne: 11:00pm On Sep 11, 2009
SapeleGuy:

But which comes first or is closest to your heart? Reading between the lines you are proud yoruba but loyal nigerian.

@poster

Is this thread meant for genuine discourse or just another useless bone of contention?
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by spoOne: 11:07pm On Sep 11, 2009
Bialegend:

Yes, so you can keep benefiting from the hard workers, while you sit out your trait lazy arrss at home and wait for rent payment day. Why don't you ask for your own oduduwa country where you can do all alone without being a nuisance to others? Must you be in the same country with Igbos? Ohh, i forgot, your survivial depends on the Igbos. Alaye.

Totally uncalled for – nonsensical at best. sad
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by ezeagu(m): 11:10pm On Sep 11, 2009
There's no point of this thread, because we already know the answer, but let us see what people say anyway.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by SapeleGuy: 11:14pm On Sep 11, 2009
$poOne:

@poster

Is this thread meant for genuine discourse or just another useless bone of contention?

No offence, discourse of course. I was merely weighing the nuance of being proud to belong and loyalty.

Bialegend - please let us discuss without throwing stones.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by sjeezy8: 12:09am On Sep 12, 2009
lol i hope many post

so the truth will come out,

The clowns ezeagu and bifralegend have been proven me right so far

lets see the rest please
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by ezeagu(m): 12:11am On Sep 12, 2009
sjeezy8:

lol i hope many post

lets see the rest please

What are you talking about? And I wouldn't talk about clowns. . . . .
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Bialegend(m): 12:14am On Sep 12, 2009
sjeezy8:

lol i hope many post

lets see the rest please
Are you not the same person as becomerich? If not, why can't you simple write what others can understand? Is it a rocket science or is your lazy trait taking a toll on you?
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Kobojunkie: 12:17am On Sep 12, 2009
Beaf:

The 1% of the population who understand the "Nigerian game" are far from tribalistic. Indeed, they put their pockets before both nation and ethnicity.

[size=14pt]Ethnicity is used as both a power base and a vicious divide and rule weapon against the remaining 99%. We hear about Afenifere, Arewa and Ohaneze; they are all fucking tools of the elite 1%.[/size]

Obviously, if we want to progress and overthrow the status quo, we are better off seeing one another as fellow humans.

Right on the mark!!
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by sjeezy8: 12:30am On Sep 12, 2009
Bialegend:

Are you not the same person as becomerich? If not, why can't you simple write what others can understand? Is it a rocket science or is your lazy trait taking a toll on you?

sure lady

i've learned idiot guys like you who are igbo dont speak for the rest of the sensible igbo ones
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Beaf: 12:39am On Sep 12, 2009
^Is "lady" a derogatory term, at least in the way you use it?
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by ezeagu(m): 12:42am On Sep 12, 2009
Beaf:

^Is "lady" a derogatory term, at least in the way you use it?

Excuse him, his name is "sjeezy" after all. grin
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Onlytruth(m): 1:16am On Sep 12, 2009
Beaf:

Ethnicity is used as both a power base and a vicious divide and rule weapon against the remaining 99%. We hear about Afenifere, Arewa and Ohaneze; they are all fucking tools of the elite 1%.

Beaf I respect you a lot but I disagree with you on this. I don't believe there is really a NIGERIAN GAME, and I can prove it.  That theory of Nigerian game is what people who are desperate to keep Nigeria one have been peddling and it is a lie. We in the East  want progress and fast! We are desperate for progress but Abuja and the north won't let us choose our own governors. We want to demonstrate that it is possible to develop (Ngige proved it in Anambra State, Peter Obi is proving it now), but those who want to prove that all Nigerians are corrupt and the same won't let us. What we have is a Hausa/Fulani and to some extent Yoruba imposed socio-political system pervading the Nigerian space. I would exonerate the Yoruba to some extent though (at least for the sake of Jakande and Fashola).
There is nothing wrong with being a Nigerian and Igbo, but if Nigeria wants to kill the Igbo in me just to make me "Nigerian", then Nigeria will have to give way to Biafra.
I am Igbo first.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by sjeezy8: 1:18am On Sep 12, 2009
some more PLEASE

they keep proving me right
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Onlytruth(m): 1:21am On Sep 12, 2009
To further demonstrate my point, let there be free and fair elections in Nigeria for once. Let that happen for 10 years and let's see who will be where.
If the North want that today, it can happen. But IS IT IN THEIR INTEREST? That is the big question.

So I don't believe in the Nigerian game. It may be more like a Northern Nigerian Game!
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by THEAMAKA(f): 1:50am On Sep 12, 2009
damn you people keep proving sjeezy right it seems.
this needs to go to the racism, tribalism section cause YOU ALL KNOW that this is what this thread is going to turn into.
yawn . . .

same shit, different toilet.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Bialegend(m): 1:52am On Sep 12, 2009
THE AMAKA:

this needs to go to the racism, tribalism section cause YOU ALL KNOW that this is what this thread is going to turn into.
yawn . . .

same shit, different toilet.
Shut up, you this little Yoruba bigot.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by sjeezy8: 1:55am On Sep 12, 2009
^^^^ you're sick in d head
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by THEAMAKA(f): 1:57am On Sep 12, 2009
hahahaha!!

Bialegend:

Shut up, you this little Yoruba bigot.

im yoruba?? ??
did you not see my name "THE AMAKA" im igbo you idiot.
some people really dont know how to read.
sorry for you ooo   tongue

and im the supposed "bigot"
nonsense.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nobody: 1:57am On Sep 12, 2009
Amaka doesnt sound yoruba.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Bialegend(m): 2:29am On Sep 12, 2009
THE AMAKA:

hahahaha!!

im yoruba?? ??
did you not see my name "THE AMAKA" im igbo you idiot.
some people really dont know how to read.
sorry for you ooo   tongue

and im the supposed "bigot"
nonsense.
Ewu, i can change my user name to awusa or Yoruba name, does that make me awusa or Yoruba person? We have becomerich using Igbo sounding names at times to post his rubbish just as you are doing, but well know he is a Yoruba bigot. You think using Igbo sounding name as your handle makes you Igbo? Sorry to burst your bubble you Yoruba clown. You think i will not dig you out?
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nobody: 2:30am On Sep 12, 2009
Bialegend:

Anyone that comes in here to tell you that nigeria comes first before his ethnic group is a complete hypocrite and should be stoned. We have all seen how the awusas are proclaiming their so called UNITY and ONE nigeria which is by refusing to listen and work together with others for the progress of nigeria. They only think about their northern nigeria, yet will want those gullible southerners to think about nigeria as a whole. Nigeria my arrsss.  Nonsense!!!

Nigeria comes first. Stone me!!!
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by ezeagu(m): 2:32am On Sep 12, 2009
Amaka is not Yoruba, she's genuine. . . . . I think.

THE AMAKA:

About what?
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by THEAMAKA(f): 2:35am On Sep 12, 2009
dont mind this guy, so many people know me here, IM KNOWN NIGGU. ask about me.
hater!!
you are just angry because you look stupid and you have FAILED to read between the lines.
all you people are here proving sjeezy right, you people are a disgrace to my igbos.

just because i dont speak from a biased viewpoint and i dont speak like a tribalist and that i agree with sjeezy, im a yoruba?
now i do get it, THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH IGBOS!!
they think if you agree with someone from the "other side" that you must be a yoruba posing as an igbo.
cant a girl just say what she wants anymore?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

Obama Skips Nigeria In His Africa Visit / Muslim Group Urges FG To Declare Fulani Herdsmen Terrorists / $29.9b Loans: Senators Set Another Hurdle For Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.