Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,700 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:46 PM

Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? (20388 Views)

Poll: Nigeria or your Ethnicity?

Nigeria: 52% (20 votes)
Ethnicity: 47% (18 votes)
This poll has ended

Emma Anyanwu Disowns His Son, Charles, Loyal To Amaechi / Wike Sacks Board Of Directors Loyal To Amaechi / Photos: Thugs Loyal To PDP Allegedly Attack APC Chieftain In Gombe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by dinggle: 8:28pm On Sep 12, 2009
Fair and balance, I am loyal to humanity, I dont care for ethnicity!!! I could care for Nigeria.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by SapeleGuy: 12:22am On Sep 13, 2009
A lot of these ethnic nationalities pre-date Nigeria in some cases by nearly 1000 years. As has been stated loving your ethinicity does not make one a tribalist.

To borrow Tsiya's analogy, dependence on this 1 man can not keep 250 wives happy - in the long run dem go kill am.
It is possible for these 250 to keep themselves happy by taking responsibility for their own destiny and environment.

sjeezy8:

When one says loyal to ethnicity that can be equated as voting for the same tribesmen that slapped you in the face for years.
Or it could be saying we are going to make our place the best we possibly can, we will develop ourselves, develop our environment without subjugating others. Imagine if this was adopted by all ethnicities across the country, would we not witness a positive transformation?

sjeezy8:

When one says loyal to Nigeria that can be equated as voting for the best performer for the country. Meaning whats good for one ethnicity is good for all others.
My argument here is that all good democracy is local. I wish the man in Sokoto well but I am more interested in development on my doorstep in Sapele. 1 man or woman can't simultaneously be the best performer in 36 states. The best performer needs to be duplicated at state level, local government level and ward level. When things go wrong I have someone accessible to hold to account instead of 1 man at Aso rock.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by sjeezy8: 12:41am On Sep 13, 2009
SapeleGuy:

A lot of these ethnic nationalities predate Nigeria in some cases by nearly 1000 years. As has been stated loving your ethinicity does not make one a tribalist.

To borrow Tsiya's analogy, dependence on this 1 man can not keep 250 wives happy - in the long run dem go kill am.
It is possible for these 250 to keep themselves happy by taking responsibility for their own destiny and environment.
Or it could be saying we are going to make our place the best we possibly can, we will develop ourselves, develop our environment without subjugating others. Imagine if this was adopted by all ethnicities across the country, would we not witness a positive transformation?
My argument here is that all good democracy is local. I wish the man in Sokoto well but I am more interested in development on my doorstep in Sapele. 1 man or woman can't simultaneously be the best performer in 36 states. The best performer needs to be duplicated at state level, local government level and ward level. When things go wrong I have someone accessible to hold to account instead of 1 man at Aso rock.

These type of individualistic ideals would only lead to the breaking up of every country because within ethnicity the are  even smaller categories. Its just unrealistic, to have everyone performing at the same level in every local Government only for "whos onfront of their doorstep).

The only REALISTIC  way for a country to move ahead is for people to put the country ahead of their own ethnicity meaning what i do for my own ethnicity, i do for others.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by THEAMAKA(f): 12:44am On Sep 13, 2009
sjeezy8:

The only REALISTIC  way for a country to move ahead is for people to put the country ahead of their own ethnicity meaning what i do for my own ethnicity, i do for others.
wow, i actually liked that last part.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by SapeleGuy: 1:15am On Sep 13, 2009
sjeezy8:

These type of individualistic ideals would only lead to the breaking up of every country because within ethnicity the are  even smaller categories. Its just unrealistic, to have everyone performing at the same level in every local Government only for "whos onfront of their doorstep).

That is the only way that local governments can work, local issues, local context, local accountability and then the exchange of good or best practice. Sokoto can't solve Sapele problems.

sjeezy8:

My friend that is a noble ideal. In theory it is what we have supported as a country since independence but in practice it has failed woefully. I like the sentiment you espouse here and I think that it can be achieved with patriotism and a burning desire to do well for the people but i repeat that good democracies are local and local in our context involves ethnicity as our populations are not very transient.
We can pursue local development within a context of mutual respect. Everybody works hard and there are no passengers
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by sjeezy8: 1:19am On Sep 13, 2009
SapeleGuy:

That is the only way that local governments can work, local issues, local context, local accountability and then the exchange of good or best practice. Sokoto can't solve Sapele problems.

My friend that is a noble ideal. In theory it is what we have supported as a country since independence but in practice it has failed woefully. I like the sentiment you espouse here and I think that it can be achieved with patriotism and a burning desire to do well for the people but i repeat that good democracies are local and local in our context involves ethnicity as our populations are not very transient.
We can pursue local development within a context of mutual respect. Everybody works hard and there are no passengers

what do you consider local governement?
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Bialegend(m): 1:54am On Sep 13, 2009
THE AMAKA:

wow, i actually liked that last part.

AMAKA, i miss you. Where have you been?
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by SapeleGuy: 2:00am On Sep 13, 2009
sjeezy8:

what do you consider local governement?

This is what I mean:

Who should be responsible for your schools, health centres, sports facilities, libraries, street cleaning, job creation, road repairs, fire brigade - Local government, these are the things that affect the average man and woman on a daily basis and not events at Aso rock.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by sjeezy8: 2:02am On Sep 13, 2009
SapeleGuy:

This is what I mean:

Who should be responsible for your schools, health centres, sports facilities, libraries, street cleaning, job creation, road repairs, fire brigade - Local government, these are the things that affect the average man and woman on a daily basis and not events at Aso rock.

so what does this have to do with ethnicity?
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Midline: 2:05am On Sep 13, 2009
a
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by SapeleGuy: 2:11am On Sep 13, 2009
Is the local government chairperson not usually an indigene of the local government they represent? Are they not also the same person that fails to deliver services? There lies your link to ethnicity.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by sjeezy8: 2:23am On Sep 13, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Is the local government chairperson not usually an indigene of the local government they represent? Are they not also the same person that fails to deliver services? There lies your link to ethnicity.

What about people like those in rivers, delta or those in ogun state?
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nobody: 2:26am On Sep 13, 2009
Truth be told, ethnicity comes first.

Nigeria comes second.

cool
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by sjeezy8: 2:29am On Sep 13, 2009
FL Gators:

Truth be told, ethnicity comes first.

Nigeria comes second.

cool

lol we know you're from the jungle and i would feel the same as you.

But within ethnicities are smaller categories that people can also consider ethnicities too.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nobody: 2:32am On Sep 13, 2009
sjeezy8:

lol we know you're from the jungle and i would feel the same as you.

But within ethnicities are smaller categories that people can also consider ethnicities too.

sjeezy, we need to talk, you know that me and you can actually hold a discussion on a thread without insultive words.

Try your post again and I'll reply.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Beaf: 2:35am On Sep 13, 2009
Ethnicity is not our biggest issue. The problem is our federal structure.
We run a federal system like the US, but has anybody ever heard of governors and bleeped up state delegations going to visit Obama? It would be ridiculous and laughable. Each governor runs his own show.
However in Nigeria, rubbish is the order of the day; governors who don't behave have in the past had to beg for their monthly, the FG is concerned with the number of LG's in each state (it determines their monthly gift) so that states don't mount any challenge to the system, no matter how remote. It isn't a federal government, it is a pyramid.

The strength of the "tribal" system in Nigeria is its lack of accountability.
Your local govt chief is accountable is more accountable to the state that does not have much clout in the markets, offices, homes and general local environment. The state in turn is accountable to Abuja which has no understanding of state problems. Abuja controls the purse strings and knocks our heads together.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Beaf: 2:37am On Sep 13, 2009
Gators hows things?
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nobody: 2:38am On Sep 13, 2009
Beaf:

Ethnicity is not our biggest issue. The problem is our federal structure.
We run a federal system like the US, but has anybody ever heard of governors and bleeped up state delegations going to visit Obama? It would be ridiculous and laughable. Each governor runs his own show.
[b]However in Nigeria, rubbish is the order of the day; governors who don't behave have in the past had to beg for their month[/b]ly, the FG is concerned with the number of LG's in each state (it determines their monthly gift) so that states don't mount any challenge to the system, no matter how remote. It isn't a federal government, it is a pyramid.

The strength of the "tribal" system in Nigeria is its lack of accountability.
Your local govt chief is accountable is more accountable to the state that does not have much clout in the markets, offices, homes and general local environment. The state in turn is accountable to Abuja which has no understanding of state problems. Abuja controls the purse strings and knocks our heads together.

Governors/or politicians that dnt behave at all.

Who was the guy that slapped a security guy sef? Nonsense and ingredient.

Beaf:

Gators hows things?
Fine, thanks for asking.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by sjeezy8: 2:40am On Sep 13, 2009
FL Gators:

sjeezy, we need to talk, you know that me and you can actually hold a discussion on a thread without insultive words.

[size=4pt]Try your post again and I'll reply.[/size]

I would feel the same as you but within ethnicities are smaller categories that people can also consider ethnicities too.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by oyinda3(f): 2:42am On Sep 13, 2009
it depends on the situation and context. I am more loyal to my ethnicity in respect to other ethnicities and more loyal to my country in respect to other countries.
if however someone told me that nigeria will be the best country in the world if and only if my ethnicity has to disappear, then i will agree lol that's a reasonable sacrifice to make i think.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nobody: 2:45am On Sep 13, 2009
sjeezy8:

I would feel the same as you but within ethnicities are smaller categories that people can also consider ethnicities too.
Thank you.

I understand. But people would identify themselves as Nigerians, but you know its their ethnicity that matters to do. With friction and tension within Nigeria, each person is holding on to their ethnicity. Holding on to your language, holding on to your culture and tradition, emphasizes the point that people actually really care about their eth. than being a Nigerian.

People would come on NL to form to dey say Nigeria comes first to them, when they know, that that aint true.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by sjeezy8: 2:55am On Sep 13, 2009
FL Gators:

Thank you.

I understand. But people would identify themselves as Nigerians, but you know its their ethnicity that matters to do. With friction and tension within Nigeria, each person is holding on to their ethnicity. Holding on to your language, holding on to your culture and tradition, emphasizes the point that people actually really care about their eth. than being a Nigerian.

People would come on NL to form to dey say Nigeria comes first to them, when they know, that that aint true.

Correct I think folks are reading the question in different ways because its too Vague.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by chic2pimp(m): 2:58am On Sep 13, 2009
NIGERIAN FIRRRRSSSSTT ETHNICITY SECONDDDDD.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nobody: 2:59am On Sep 13, 2009
sjeezy8:

Correct I think folks are reading the question in different ways because its too Vague.

tears. I'm so proud of you right now.

No cursing. tears

chic2pimp:

NIGERIAN FIRRRRSSSSTT ETHNICITY SECONDDDDD.
ta lo bi e leere?
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by sjeezy8: 3:02am On Sep 13, 2009
FL Gators:

tears. I'm so proud of you right now.

No cursing. tears

ta lo bi e leere?

To me i see it as if Obama over everyone with no favoritism toward black, africans or Hawiians or where ever he was raised.

It can be done and within himself and he still listen to jazz and eat fried chicken like black people do, without imposing himself/his beliefs on others.

Thats what i call country before ethnicity

If you get what im tryin to say.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by SapeleGuy: 3:03am On Sep 13, 2009
FL Gators:

Thank you.

It seems a lot of us are torn between what we think is the right thing to say and what we know to be right in our hearts.

Choosing Nigeria is the right thing to say but their ethnicity is the very beat of their hearts. But I stress this doesn't have to be a negative thing.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nobody: 3:05am On Sep 13, 2009
SapeleGuy:

It seems a lot of us are torn between what we think is the right thing to say and what we know to be right in our hearts.

Choosing Nigeria is the right thing to say but their ethnicity is the very beat of their hearts. But I stress this doesn't have to be a negative thing.
So true.

Some of us know that Nigeria is messed up, but nevertheless, when Nigeria is being criticized, we jump to defend her.

sjeezy8:

To me i see it as if Obama over everyone with no favoritism toward black, africans or Hawiians or where ever he was raised.

It can be done and within himself and he still listen to jazz and eat fried chicken like black people do, without imposing himself/his beliefs on others.

Thats what i call country before ethnicity

If you get what im tryin to say.
I get what you're saying, but how's that country first?
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by chic2pimp(m): 3:06am On Sep 13, 2009
FL Gators:

ta lo bi e leere?
Sorry? undecided Can u speak english pls.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nobody: 3:07am On Sep 13, 2009
chic2pimp:

Sorry? undecided Can u speak english pls.
No, my language comes second grin
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by chic2pimp(m): 3:11am On Sep 13, 2009
FL Gators:

No, my language comes second grin
grin

Anyone who speaks yoruba,igbo or hausa on this site should be banned. We all want one nigeria.
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by Nobody: 3:15am On Sep 13, 2009
chic2pimp:

grin

Anyone who speaks yoruba,igbo or hausa on this site should be banned. We all want one nigeria.
Wiat, arent you yoruba? undecided
I've always wondered. . . .wait, yea, you are, right?
Re: Are You Loyal To Nigeria Or Your Ethnicity? by THEAMAKA(f): 3:18am On Sep 13, 2009
why do i always miss the fun?
undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (25) (Reply)

The President Is Coming To Abia State And The Whole Town Is Closed Down!!! / Buhari Departs Beijing, Arrives Shanghai (photos) / Malami: El-Zakzaky’s Fate Is In El-Rufai’s Hands

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.