Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,207 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria (30459 Views)

Sultan: Corruption At A Very High Level In Nigeria… Things Are Not Okay / 14 Things To To Tell That Things Are Yet To Be Normal In Our Country / 13 Things To Show That Things Are Yet To Be Normal In Our Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by mrZENographer: 12:18pm On Jul 19, 2016
HDee:
angry We are suffering because of the damage the past administration caused us.... The "STEALING IS NOT A CORRUPTION" led administration..

Let me use this oppurtunity to remind all ZOMBIES that at the end of the past administration, naira lay at 200 to a dollar. Just less than a year of the present administration it is a horrorful N345 to a dollar. Something that could have been ridiculed fables in the past admin. More jobs losses, bans, little room for local improvements etc. FINALLY, KERESONE IS N300 from N84

From your prepositions, i can assume that many are still yet to get a cure from this particular Sai Baba Tai virus.

2 Likes

Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by PoorUgly(m): 12:20pm On Jul 19, 2016
dvee2:

WHY WE ARE KILLING CORRUPTION
@Yinka Ogunnubi Wrote:
1. Allow me to share a few thoughts on the unique relationship between our whole economic system and corruption. And why we need to stay the course

2. First we must realize that Our social and economic system was not just corrupt, CORRUPTION WAS THE SYSTEM. Corruption was what actually sustained it.

3. From the Banking sector to the Oil & gas sector to the Real Estate sector to the Military apparatus, the system was oiled by Corruption Inc.

4. Let's start with the banking sector.
The financial system was full of cash. Government cash placed to extract value for corrupt officials and not government

5. Of Course, this cash ensured liquidity which supposedly meant banks could lend at higher volumes and cheaper rates. But was that really the case?

6. Yes! if you were a big corporate body or you had a big last name or you were politically influential. But if u were an Small Medium Enterprises, SME, sorry you're On Your Own, OYO

7. Nevertheless this whole idea of Government cash fueling the system was d height of inefficiency since Government was still borrowing at record levels.

8. How about the Real Estate Sector. This sector fed off massively from corruption flows. Property became over-valued because some could pay over the odds.

9. Property yields that were modest went sky-high. The result? High vacancy rates. Property owners could afford to wait years for that big sale.

10. How about Oil & Gas Sector? Where do you want to start from? Do you want to start from the subsidy regime? From fake consumption figures to false claims?

11. Do you want to start with the cesspool of corruption called the NNPC and corrupt swap deals and bedroom bidding's? We know the result.

12. The result was that this corrupt system enriched some & made them billionaires. Their wealth trickled down to others. The Economy boomed.

13. Because they had cash, their wife's, kids, side chics, relatives, friends could buy properties, invest in companies, buy stocks, travel the world

14. What about the military? Professionalism was replaced with Business agility with Generals turning into contractors & becoming mega-rich.

15. Service Chiefs and Top Military Brass, were collecting billions from false procurement contracts, inflated payrolls and investing the cash

16. They and their kids bought properties (at above mkt price), invested in start-ups. The cash flowed freely...some back to us. We all smiled

17. How about the Police? Don't even get me started. This organisation gets allocated billions in the Federal budget & gets donations frm State and private organisation

18. Yet, its the same organisation that a current IG thinks it is ok for a former IG to retire with 4 exotic cars bought with tax payers money. ‪#‎Sigh‬

19. I could go on and on. But the truth of the matter is this:
The economy was on drugs - Hard Drugs. It was addicted to being run by Corruption Flows.

20. Like any addict, the difficult part is to be clean. Ever seen an addict in detox? Its not for the faint-hearted. Reason why its called "Tough Love"

21. What this government, the government of Pres. Muhammadu Buhari, has tried to do, as difficult and as unfriendly as it seems, is to wean this economy away from the stimulus of corruption flows

22. And like any addict, the system is fighting back. Its resisting medication. Its crying out for the corruption flows to come back so it has relief and gets high again.

23. Its the reason why banks will cry out against TSA..a system meant to ensure efficiency and that value is given to the due owner - Govt.

24. Its the reason why the Oil marketers will try to blackmail the entire country just to ensure they keep getting their subsidies.

25. Its the reason some avengers will blow up oil Wells just because their security contracts and access to easy cash is blocked or made difficult.

26. Its the reason why some will pad a budget; ignore calls for transparency like ‪#‎OpenNASS‬ & carry on with impunity. Because they are hooked on the Corruption drugs.

27. Any good care-giver will tell you..."Never let the cries of the patient deceive you...Tough Love demands you stay on course".

28. After sometime, the economy will find its point of equilibrium. Hopefully it will be a point no longer driven by corruption flows but real Trade

29. The other day, I went to price a property that was going for N70m about 2 years ago. Guess the new price of the property? N40m!

30. The real estate market is finding its equilibrium. Its coming to terms with the true value of the assets. The other sectors will follow.

31. So when next you hear the phrase "Corruption Fighting Back", know its not just a cliché, its actually the spasm of an addict trying get rid of drugs in the system to get clean.

My brother thank you so much for this post.

Thank God we still have some reasonable people out there.
Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by Omooba77: 12:23pm On Jul 19, 2016
damon222:
I am a pensioner. Meaning I am fairly of age. For about three to four weeks ago I noticed that the streets of many cities are dried up. I then asked if schools are on vacation? I was told no. Then why are the cities emty. It was traced to hardship that many companies have folded, many school children are with drawn, many shop are closed. I then took pains to go round and discovered that two private schools close to my compound are almost closing down.
About the middle of June to date, I have seen three mistrious deaths. (1) a neighbour took his wife to her shop, returned home and went back to bring her back home about five pm. He bought orranges, leak some, went back to easy himself, returned, sat on his chairs and died (2) another neighbour and his family went to church in the evening (night vigil) at about 10, the wife discovered the husband was sleeping. She then tapped him, asking if he is sleeping about two times, behold, the third time the man just fell, rushed to a near hospital and died. (3) This was a little far from my compound but was close to my friend's home. A man of about fifty years collapsed while offering closing prayer in the church. Am sure these strange deads have something to do with these current hopeleness, frustrations and hardship. My advise to people is that they should be very prepared and careful. We are talking of more than four years because Buhari has condermn the society. As am posting this, my three tenants are owing me. I am almost hopeless too if not for my farms.

Hmmmm; nothing more to say

2 Likes

Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by PoorUgly(m): 12:24pm On Jul 19, 2016
mrZENographer:

Let me use this oppurtunity to remind all ZOMBIES that at the end of the past administration, naira lay at 200 to a dollar. Just less than a year of the present administration it is a horrorful N345 to a dollar. Something that could have been ridiculed fables in the past admin. More jobs losses, bans, little room for local improvements etc. FINALLY, KERESONE IS N300 from N84

There may not be a cure for this virus yet.

STOP LYING! KEROSENE IS N200 I JUST BOUGHT IT FEW HOURS AGO.

TELL THE TRUTH!

YOU DIDN'T BUY KEROSENE N150 DURING LAST ADMINISTRATION?
Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by PoorUgly(m): 12:26pm On Jul 19, 2016
THIS IS WHY WE ARE SUFFERING!!!!

$1.1billion Fraud: British Judge questions Jonathan’s integrity, stops Etete from getting N17 billion

A British Judge on Tuesday refused to release $85 million (N17 billion) to Malabu, a fraudulent company controlled by Nigeria’s former petroleum minister, Dan Etete.
In refusing to release the money to Malabu, Justice Edis of the Southwark Crown Court declared that he was not sure the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan acted in Nigeria’s interest when it approved the transfer of the money to Malabu.
“I cannot simply assume that the FGN which was in power in 2011 and subsequently until 2015 rigorously defended the public interest of the people of Nigeria in all respects,” the judge ruled.
PREMIUM TIMES had reported how the Jonathan administration controversially approved the transfer of $1.092 billion from Nigeria’s JP Morgan account in London to Nigerian accounts controlled by Malabu.
The money was paid by global oil giants, Shell and ENi, for Africa’s richest oil bloc, OPL 245.
The former Attorney General of the Federation, Mohammed Adoke, and the former Minister of State for Finance, Yerima Ngama, signed the documents approving the transfer to Malabu.
The fraudulent deal, shaded in various layers of corruption, has been condemned by Nigerians and international transparency advocates and is being investigated by authorities in four different countries.
THE SEIZED $85 MILLION
The $85 million was seized at the request of Italian prosecutors who are also investigating the deal. The money was the last part of the OPL 245 largesse not yet distributed.
Sensing that the Muhammadu Buhari administration was yet to find its feet on international legal matters, Mr. Etete approached the British court and asked that the money be returned to him.
At a two-day hearing that started on November 23, Mr. Etete’s lawyers argued that there was no fraud in the deal and asked that the money be released to him.
While Mr. Etete argued that the money be released to him, the Italian prosecutor argued that “their investigation could lead to a potential forfeiture of the money down the road.” a source who has followed the case and was present at the proceedings told PREMIUM TIMES.
Malabu’s lawyers told the court that freezing the money was an assault on Nigeria and questioned how the court could imagine that Messrs. Adoke and Ngama would be a party to a corrupt deal.
THE RULING
While giving his ruling on Tuesday, Justice Edis said while he could not say for certain if the deal was fraudulent pending conclusions of investigations, it would be inappropriate to release the money to Malabu.
“I am not making any findings of fact about misconduct by anyone. I am simply assessing the evidence before me to determine whether a restraint order should be discharged which was granted by way of MLA (Mutual Legal Assistance between the UK and Italy) to support an investigation by the Italian authorities,” the judge said.
The judge also made reference to evidence provided by the Italian authorities that ex-President Jonathan was directly involved in the fraudulent deal.
“The suggestion from the wiretaps is that “Fortunato” was implicated and I am told that this was a reference in code (not subtle) to the former President of Nigeria, President Goodluck Jonathan,” the judge said.
“Aliyu (Abubakar) is said to be associated with him and Aliyu received, in a way which was not transparent, $523m of the money paid for the OPL 245 licence in August 2011.”
PREMIUM TIMES had reported how fictitious companies owned by Abubakar Aliyu, a man referred to as ‘Mr. Corruption’ by anti-graft officials, received over half ($532 million) of the total $1.092 billion.
Mr. Aliyu, a close ally of Mr. Jonathan was recently quizzed by EFCC operatives for the first time despite being a central character in the deal whose investigation was virtually stalled during the Jonathan presidency.
ACTIVISTS REACT
Reacting to the ruling, Simon Taylor of Global Witness stated that “Given the gathering pace of the EFCC investigation in Nigeria under new leadership and a call by the Nigerian House of Representatives to cancel the deal in 2014, investors in Shell and Eni should demand to know why they were exposed to such risk.”
The UK based Global Witness has been at the forefront of the demand for transparency in the deal and other similar deals across the world.
Also reacting to the judgement, Dotun Oloko, an anti-corruption campaigner in Nigeria said, “In light of these allegations in a UK court, the role of the senior Nigerian officials involved in this deal, including Goodluck Jonathan, must now be fully investigated.”
With the ruling, Nigerian now has the opportunity to not only claim the money but also another $110.5 million of the funds held in a Swiss bank while investigations continue.
Below is a statement by Global Witness after the court ruling:
Court refuses to unfreeze funds from “smash and grab” raid on Nigerian oil block
Prosecutors allege that “fronts for President Goodluck Jonathan of Nigeria” received US$523m in proceeds of “smash and grab” OPL 245 deal
Southwark Crown Court today rejected an attempt by a company owned by the former Nigerian oil minister Dan Etete to unfreeze US$85m in proceeds of the corrupt deal for the Nigerian offshore oil block, Oil Prospecting Licence 245 (OPL 245), which was sold to Shell and Eni for $1.1bn in 2011.
The funds were restrained at the request of Italian authorities, who are investigating the sale of the block by Malabu Oil & Gas, a company secretly owned by Mr Etete, to the international oil companies.
The Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) under Goodluck Jonthan acted as a middleman in the deal, and the court received evidence based on wiretaps that prosecutors allege show that the then President, Goodluck Jonathan, was directly involved. The deal deprived the Nigerian people of a sum equivalent to 80% of the country’s 2015 health budget.
“In light of these allegations in a UK court the role of the senior Nigerian officials involved in this deal including Goodluck Jonathan must now be fully investigated,” said Dotun Oloko, a Nigerian anti-corruption campaigner.
Evidence from US authorities presented to the court and included in the judgement “shows payments following circuitous routes which total $523m and which arrived at Abubakar Aliyu, aka ‘Mr Corruption’” […] “Aliyu’s companies are allegedly fronts for President Goodluck Jonathan of Nigeria”. The Crown Prosecution Service, acting at the behest of the Public Prosecutor for Milan (PPM), described OPL 245 as a case of “grand corruption”.
The OPL 245 deal is currently under investigation by the Public Prosecutor of Milan, the UK’s National Crime Agency (NCA), and the Nigerian Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). The EFCC have reportedly recently interviewed Abubakar Aliyu in connection with the case, and earlier this year interviewed Dan Etete.
Justice Edis of Southwark Crown Court turned down Malabu’s application to discharge the freezing order rejecting Malabu’s arguments that the Crown had failed to follow proper procedures in securing the freezing. Justice Edis concluded in his judgement:
It is extremely important that what I am about to say is not misunderstood. I am not making any findings of fact about misconduct by anyone. I am simply assessing the evidence before me to determine whether a restraint order should be discharged which was granted by way of MLA to support an investigation by the Italian authorities. That investigation is not complete (and appears to be still at quite an early stage). What misconduct it may ultimately prove, if any, will be a matter for the PPM and the Italian court if proceedings are brought. However, precisely because I cannot reach firm factual conclusions, I cannot simply assume that the FGN which was in power in 2011 and subsequently until 2015 rigorously defended the public interest of the people of Nigeria in all respects. Mr. Fisher QC who appeared for the CPS used the phrase “grand corruption” to describe the form of corruption in which the state itself is culpable. The suggestion from the wiretaps is that “Fortunato” was implicated and I am told that this was a reference in code (not subtle) to the former President of Nigeria, President Goodluck Jonathan. Aliyu is said to be associated with him and Aliyu received, in a way which was not transparent, $523m of the money paid for the OPL 245 licence in August 2011.
“Given the gathering pace of the EFCC investigation in Nigeria under new leadership and a call by the Nigerian House of Representatives to cancel the deal in 2014, investors in Shell and Eni should demand to know why they were exposed to such risk,“ said Simon Taylor, a Director of Global Witness.
Suspects named in the Italian case include Eni and its current and former CEOs Claudio Descalzi and Paolo Scaroni, as well the company’s Chief Development, Operations & Technology Officer Roberto Casula and former executive Vicenzo Armanna. Other suspects in the Italian case include Dan Etete and middlemen Emeka Obi, Gianluca Di Nardo and Luigi Bisignani. Shell and Eni have denied any wrongdoing.
“It is clear from evidence in the public domain that high level executives in Shell personally took part in negotiating this deal. Citizens in the UK, US, Netherlands and Nigeria should demand that Shell and its executives are investigated in their respective countries,” said Nicholas Hildyard of The Corner House.
Shell and Eni have invested at least $1.8bn in purchasing and developing the block, which they own 50-50. It reportedly holds probable reserves of 9.23 billion barrels of oil, which if proven, would represent the equivalent of a third of Shell’s proven reserves, and two thirds of Eni’s.
Antonio Tricarico of Re:Common said: “$85 million paid by Eni and Shell for the benefit of Dan Etete’s company Malabu remains frozen in London. The time has come that Eni and Shell come clean about what they knew about this deal and who else this money was intended for.”

1 Like

Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by stpat1(m): 12:31pm On Jul 19, 2016
You are correct. I notice that these days, the traffic is light which makes me wonder is there is fuel scarcity. Also, people now basically buy food items than other stuffs.
The effect is so obvious

1 Like

Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by PoorUgly(m): 12:34pm On Jul 19, 2016
Nigeria: The Oil Trillions Yet to Be Found – Daily Trust JUNE 12, 2016 BY ABOKIFX

By Daniel Adugbo

The latest audit report of Nigeria’s oil and gas industry
undertaken by the Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency
Initiative, (NEITI), which w as published recently, made striking
revelations on the extent of revenues withheld by the Nigerian
National Petroleum Corporation, (NNPC).
The audit further swelled the list of scathing reports that have
exposed the Corporation’s devastating consumption of public
revenues and performance failures prior to the present
administration.
The NEITI audit which was presented in Abuja by the Minister of
Solid Minerals Development and Chairman of the NEITI board, Dr.
Kayode Fayemi, revealed that the country earned $58.07bn (about
N11.4tr) as revenue from crude oil sales, taxes, royalties and
other incomes in 2013.
However, part of the amount that should have gone to the
Nigerian treasury was either diverted or got lost due to many
reasons.
A breakdown of the amount that failed to get into government
coffers showed that N1.1 trillion comprising $3.8bn being oil
export sales plus other dollar-based payments and outstanding
refunds in addition to N358.3 billion in naira-denominated
revenues, were not remitted by the NNPC. $5.966 billion and
N20.4 billion were lost due to opaque crude swap agreements
and oil theft.$599.8 million was lost as a result of under-
payments of petroleum profit taxes and royalties by oil and gas
companies.
The audit also revealed that the Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas
Limited, (NLNG), paid $1.289 billion as dividends, interests and
loan repayments in 2013. While the NNPC acknowledged receipt
of this amount, it did not forward it to the federal government.
The $1.289 billion, according to the audit, brings to a total of
$12.9 billion payments to the NNPC by NLNG between 2005 and
2013 that were not forwarded by NNPC to the federal government.
Worried by the enormity of the loss of revenue revealed in the
report, the Senate has recently summoned the NEITI boss to
formally present the report at plenary and explain the alleged
missing trillions.
Where did the trillions go?
The NEITI audit report tried to unravel where the billions of
payments and NNPC oil sales that didn’t get to the federation
treasury went to.
One of the major sources of with holdings as captured even in
other previous audits stem from the $1.7 billion balance for the
sale of NNPC’s interest in eight Oil Mining Leases, (OMLs), whose
whereabouts is unknown. It will be recalled that between 2010
and 201,1 NNPC divested 55 percent federation equity in the eight
OMLs from the Shell JV to its subsidiary, Nigerian Petroleum
Development Company, (NPDC). The eight OMLs were valued at
$1.8billion out which only $100 million was paid in April 2014,
leaving the $1.7 billion balance which has not been paid by
NNPC to the federation account.
The huge revenue losses came at a time average prices for the
country’s light sweet crude topped $110 per barrel during the
boom of 2011 to 2014. Yet during that same period, treasury
receipts from oil sales fell significantly.
The $58.07 billion total revenue flows to the federation from all
sources in 2013 represented a decline of 8 percent when
compared with the $62.9 billion realized in 2012.
Analysts are of the opinion that while volumes lost to oil theft
explains some of the decline, NNPC’s massive revenue with
holdings and suboptimal sales arrangements were also to blame.
From the figures presented in the audit vis-à-vis other audit
reports, analysis showed that management of NNPC’s oil sales
and remittances worsen particularly between 2010 and 2014. It
was in early 2014 that a former Governor of Central Bank of
Nigeria, (CBN), Lamido Sanusi raised the alarm that $20 billion in
NNPC oil sale revenues had gone missing.
The alarm prompted the set-up of a Senate Committee to
investigate the alleged unremitted crude oil revenue to the
federation.
In addition, the Ministry of Finance set up a Reconciliation
Committee consisting of the CBN, NNPC, DPR, FIRS, OAGF, the
Budget Office, Federal Ministries of Finance and Petroleum
Resources to align the differing figures.
PricewaterhouseCoopers, (PwC), also performed an investigative
forensic audit into the alleged unremitted funds into the
Federation Accounts by NNPC within that same period.
NNPC is yet to publicly counter the claims in NEITI’s latest audit.
However, it has lately replied similar issues raised by other
government queries questioning its processes.
The Auditor-General of Federation recently reported that the
Corporation withheld N3.2 trillion ($16 billion) in oil revenues in
2014. The Revenue Mobilization Allocation and Fiscal
Commission, (RMAFC), immediately raised the number to N4.9
trillion ($25 billion) in revenues between 2011 and 2015.
NNPC disputed the auditor-general’s claims by putting out a third
set of figures, saying what it owed the Federation Account was
N326 billion which was still being reconciled and not N3.23
trillion as alleged by the auditor.
What has changed?
“Clearly, a few things have or could have changed since 2013
that the reports covered,” this was the verdict of Chairman of the
NEITI board, Kayode Fayemi.
Kudos to President Muhammadu Buhari’s determination to tackle
graft and coupled with global low oil prices, the government has
made positive changes in how NNPC manages the nation’s oil
wealth. It is clear that there is an ongoing reform in NNPC and
the oil sector in general.
The coming of Ibe Kachikwu as NNPC head has witnessed drastic
cut in the number of passive, well-connected middlemen that
pocket money from oil sales. NNPC has canceled costly,
unbalanced swap contracts and sought more efficient
replacements.
The Corporation now publishes a monthly financial data and its
leadership says it is seeking solution for some of its costliest
problems, not the least the moribund refineries and the payment
of debts to its upstream Joint Venture, (JV) partners.
These moves, according to industry watchers, suggest a real
determination by the minister and government to take on some of
NNPC’s problems.
However, it is clear that despite the gap of three years, most of
the issues raised in the NEITI report are still relevant today.
PricewaterhouseCoopers, (PwC), auditors in 2015 reviewed
NNPC’s oil sales system, and wrote: “NNPC has a ‘blank’ cheque
to spend money without limit or control. This is untenable and
unsustainable and must be addressed immediately.”
A recent report by the Natural Resource Governance Institute,
(NRGI), claimed that NNPC under President Buhari’s
administration still withholds a major share of oil sale earnings
and spends them at will.
Experts say these statements remain true today as there are still
no agreed rules that govern how much money the NNPC can
keep, and how it can spend those funds.
Until the government states clear rules for NNPC financing, both
the controversies and the underlying revenue leakages will
persist.
The latest drafts of the Petroleum Industry Bill, (PIB), which do
not adequately address how NNPC and the federation will share
revenues in future is still a source of concern.
To this end, government should move to recover these funds
especially now that its revenues are low and is looking for more
avenues to fund the budget.
It is now up to the legislature to take keen interest in the audit
findings to design legislations for the extractive sector and carry
out their oversight functions.
Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by Goke7: 12:35pm On Jul 19, 2016
reason fuel price needs to go down but will our greedy marketers agree? most items are over priced in Nigeria.

Let fuel price go down and see if other things will not follow

2 Likes

Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by Abagworo(m): 12:53pm On Jul 19, 2016
Oil price dropped and production cut by avengers. I believe Nigeria should do away completely with oil based economy and rebuild agriculture. We cannot compete in technology market or manufacturing without achieving cheap and sustainable power supply independent of oil and gas hence agriculture should be the focus.
Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by Omooba77: 1:17pm On Jul 19, 2016
stpat1:
You are correct. I notice that these days, the traffic is light which makes me wonder is there is fuel scarcity. Also, people now basically buy food items than other stuffs.
The effect is so obvious

Thank God we both observed same thing....God will have mercy upon Nigeria.
Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by PoorUgly(m): 1:31pm On Jul 19, 2016
Goke7:
reason fuel price needs to go down but will our greedy marketers agree? most items are over priced in Nigeria.

Let fuel price go down and see if other things will not follow

That is the problem. Nigerians are very unpatriotic and corrupt. Our crazy quest for riches is killing this country.

If government brings down the price of petrol. The same marketers and Nigerian people will take petrol and go to Togo , Benin republic where it sells up to the equivalent of N200.

Still creating scarcity and problems. This is the major reason why this administration removed the subsidy.

Its cheer stupidity and waste of government funds to take subsidized fuel intended for our good and be selling it off to other people it wasn't meant for, just to earn illegal filthy money.

That's why we are suffering.

Unless we all collectively loves this country, respects this country and bends down and work hard for her collective good we will continue suffering.

Even if Dangote refinery take off tomorrow and brings down the price of fuel to N100.

Our wicked unpatriotic brothers and sisters will either hoard it to become scarce and expensive or siphons it to other countries where it sells high.

Our problem is ourselves. Lets have collective repentance from selfishly injuring this country.

God bless you all

2 Likes

Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by HDee(m): 2:30pm On Jul 19, 2016
deltateam:

Your own case is hopeless if at this time you are still blaming past administration where a paint of garri was #250 now it is #600, fuel was at worst #120 now its #145 and increasing soon etc
Sometimes, you get to be punished for what your previous filial did.. Don't worry, we are going to overcome this very soon..

1 Like

Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by HDee(m): 2:32pm On Jul 19, 2016
mrZENographer:

From your prepositions, i can assume that many are still yet to get a cure from this particular Sai Baba Tai virus.
but you accept that stealing is not corruption during their administration??

1 Like

Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by otobomax(m): 2:34pm On Jul 19, 2016
butanep:

Hahahahahahha. Boys cash aren't enough to spray anymore.

Last week my babe called me to send her 25k. I asked her for what? She said to get few cosmetics. I was like comestics for 25k in this present economy. That's my feeding money for one month.

In my mind, this girl is wicked. Then the next thing is that, you are stingy. I gladly accepted it unlike before I will want to impress.

Economy is down I swear.
Oga me self no get I Don tire for naija babes wahala lemme focus all my energy and attention in making my life better abeg. So much freedom and peace I tell you
Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by Ayoswit(f): 2:41pm On Jul 19, 2016
kurt09:
You're right. The last time I queued up, I withdrew 2k sent by a nairalander(Ymodulus).
waoh, lucky u.
Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by leghagha: 3:02pm On Jul 19, 2016
ShowYourCertificate:
What do you expect when a dullard is the president?
Is it the fault of PM the price of oill has fallen and the niger delta militants are causing more havoc?All oil dependent countries are going through worse situation (Angola and Venezuela)
Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by kurt09(m): 3:05pm On Jul 19, 2016
Ayoswit:
waoh, lucky u.
So don't use ATM queue to judge.
Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:09pm On Jul 19, 2016
Yes o, even oloshos arent finding things funny at all, indomie and eggs is now being served in wedding receptions. angry
Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by butanep(m): 3:28pm On Jul 19, 2016
otobomax:

Oga me self no get I Don tire for naija babes wahala lemme focus all my energy and attention in making my life better abeg. So much freedom and peace I tell you

Sometimes it is good to have to some space for personal development.
Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jul 19, 2016
Low patronage to beer palour,pepper soup joints and brothels due to the economic recession unlike the jonathan era when some guys would consume 30 bottles of beer in a day.
Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jul 19, 2016
butanep:

Hahahahahahha. Boys cash aren't enough to spray anymore.

Last week my babe called me to send her 25k. I asked her for what? She said to get few cosmetics. I was like comestics for 25k in this present economy. That's my feeding money for one month.

In my mind, this girl is wicked. Then the next thing is that, you are stingy. I gladly accepted it unlike before I will want to impress.

Economy is down I swear.
better give that ur babe the 25 k sharp sharp or u might just end up losing her to E-money cheesy
Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by butanep(m): 4:48pm On Jul 19, 2016
lefulefu:
better give that ur babe the 25 k sharp sharp or u might just end up losing her to E-money cheesy

Then what make you think am scared of loosing her... it's even a lesser burden to me when she leaves...

Easter is there, Rose is still in love and even precious...

If you become an ass licker to a woman, you are on your own. Reason why you shouldn't ve just one babe. It's suicidal.
Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by 400billionman: 4:58pm On Jul 19, 2016
Things are getting better for me. Whenever things try getting tough, it gets better for me.

Even though some of my hustles are closed down for now. I run each of the remaining ones as if my life depends on it.

1 Like

Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by Stanbeto: 5:12pm On Jul 19, 2016
Healing the Land part one
Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by k2kay(m): 5:41pm On Jul 19, 2016
I realized we were in trouble when I was at a restaurant and a guy boldly walked to my table and insisted I give him 50bucks to balance what he had on him...the guy's boldness was scary....like he could kill to get his hands on it.
Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by tayoalone(m): 6:12pm On Jul 19, 2016
[quote author=MIKOLOWISKA post=47681362][/quote]
Love your replies. So on point.
Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by donhils: 6:15pm On Jul 19, 2016
When they say there's a casting down, guess what I'll say; there's a lifting up for me.

1 Like

Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by Omooba77: 6:17pm On Jul 19, 2016
PoorUgly:
THIS IS WHY WE ARE SUFFERING!!!!

$1.1billion Fraud: British Judge questions Jonathan’s integrity, stops Etete from getting N17 billion

A British Judge on Tuesday refused to release $85 million (N17 billion) to Malabu, a fraudulent company controlled by Nigeria’s former petroleum minister, Dan Etete.
In refusing to release the money to Malabu, Justice Edis of the Southwark Crown Court declared that he was not sure the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan acted in Nigeria’s interest when it approved the transfer of the money to Malabu.
“I cannot simply assume that the FGN which was in power in 2011 and subsequently until 2015 rigorously defended the public interest of the people of Nigeria in all respects,” the judge ruled.
PREMIUM TIMES had reported how the Jonathan administration controversially approved the transfer of $1.092 billion from Nigeria’s JP Morgan account in London to Nigerian accounts controlled by Malabu.
The money was paid by global oil giants, Shell and ENi, for Africa’s richest oil bloc, OPL 245.
The former Attorney General of the Federation, Mohammed Adoke, and the former Minister of State for Finance, Yerima Ngama, signed the documents approving the transfer to Malabu.
The fraudulent deal, shaded in various layers of corruption, has been condemned by Nigerians and international transparency advocates and is being investigated by authorities in four different countries.
THE SEIZED $85 MILLION
The $85 million was seized at the request of Italian prosecutors who are also investigating the deal. The money was the last part of the OPL 245 largesse not yet distributed.
Sensing that the Muhammadu Buhari administration was yet to find its feet on international legal matters, Mr. Etete approached the British court and asked that the money be returned to him.
At a two-day hearing that started on November 23, Mr. Etete’s lawyers argued that there was no fraud in the deal and asked that the money be released to him.
While Mr. Etete argued that the money be released to him, the Italian prosecutor argued that “their investigation could lead to a potential forfeiture of the money down the road.” a source who has followed the case and was present at the proceedings told PREMIUM TIMES.
Malabu’s lawyers told the court that freezing the money was an assault on Nigeria and questioned how the court could imagine that Messrs. Adoke and Ngama would be a party to a corrupt deal.
THE RULING
While giving his ruling on Tuesday, Justice Edis said while he could not say for certain if the deal was fraudulent pending conclusions of investigations, it would be inappropriate to release the money to Malabu.
“I am not making any findings of fact about misconduct by anyone. I am simply assessing the evidence before me to determine whether a restraint order should be discharged which was granted by way of MLA (Mutual Legal Assistance between the UK and Italy) to support an investigation by the Italian authorities,” the judge said.
The judge also made reference to evidence provided by the Italian authorities that ex-President Jonathan was directly involved in the fraudulent deal.
“The suggestion from the wiretaps is that “Fortunato” was implicated and I am told that this was a reference in code (not subtle) to the former President of Nigeria, President Goodluck Jonathan,” the judge said.
“Aliyu (Abubakar) is said to be associated with him and Aliyu received, in a way which was not transparent, $523m of the money paid for the OPL 245 licence in August 2011.”
PREMIUM TIMES had reported how fictitious companies owned by Abubakar Aliyu, a man referred to as ‘Mr. Corruption’ by anti-graft officials, received over half ($532 million) of the total $1.092 billion.
Mr. Aliyu, a close ally of Mr. Jonathan was recently quizzed by EFCC operatives for the first time despite being a central character in the deal whose investigation was virtually stalled during the Jonathan presidency.
ACTIVISTS REACT
Reacting to the ruling, Simon Taylor of Global Witness stated that “Given the gathering pace of the EFCC investigation in Nigeria under new leadership and a call by the Nigerian House of Representatives to cancel the deal in 2014, investors in Shell and Eni should demand to know why they were exposed to such risk.”
The UK based Global Witness has been at the forefront of the demand for transparency in the deal and other similar deals across the world.
Also reacting to the judgement, Dotun Oloko, an anti-corruption campaigner in Nigeria said, “In light of these allegations in a UK court, the role of the senior Nigerian officials involved in this deal, including Goodluck Jonathan, must now be fully investigated.”
With the ruling, Nigerian now has the opportunity to not only claim the money but also another $110.5 million of the funds held in a Swiss bank while investigations continue.
Below is a statement by Global Witness after the court ruling:
Court refuses to unfreeze funds from “smash and grab” raid on Nigerian oil block
Prosecutors allege that “fronts for President Goodluck Jonathan of Nigeria” received US$523m in proceeds of “smash and grab” OPL 245 deal
Southwark Crown Court today rejected an attempt by a company owned by the former Nigerian oil minister Dan Etete to unfreeze US$85m in proceeds of the corrupt deal for the Nigerian offshore oil block, Oil Prospecting Licence 245 (OPL 245), which was sold to Shell and Eni for $1.1bn in 2011.
The funds were restrained at the request of Italian authorities, who are investigating the sale of the block by Malabu Oil & Gas, a company secretly owned by Mr Etete, to the international oil companies.
The Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) under Goodluck Jonthan acted as a middleman in the deal, and the court received evidence based on wiretaps that prosecutors allege show that the then President, Goodluck Jonathan, was directly involved. The deal deprived the Nigerian people of a sum equivalent to 80% of the country’s 2015 health budget.
“In light of these allegations in a UK court the role of the senior Nigerian officials involved in this deal including Goodluck Jonathan must now be fully investigated,” said Dotun Oloko, a Nigerian anti-corruption campaigner.
Evidence from US authorities presented to the court and included in the judgement “shows payments following circuitous routes which total $523m and which arrived at Abubakar Aliyu, aka ‘Mr Corruption’” […] “Aliyu’s companies are allegedly fronts for President Goodluck Jonathan of Nigeria”. The Crown Prosecution Service, acting at the behest of the Public Prosecutor for Milan (PPM), described OPL 245 as a case of “grand corruption”.
The OPL 245 deal is currently under investigation by the Public Prosecutor of Milan, the UK’s National Crime Agency (NCA), and the Nigerian Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). The EFCC have reportedly recently interviewed Abubakar Aliyu in connection with the case, and earlier this year interviewed Dan Etete.
Justice Edis of Southwark Crown Court turned down Malabu’s application to discharge the freezing order rejecting Malabu’s arguments that the Crown had failed to follow proper procedures in securing the freezing. Justice Edis concluded in his judgement:
It is extremely important that what I am about to say is not misunderstood. I am not making any findings of fact about misconduct by anyone. I am simply assessing the evidence before me to determine whether a restraint order should be discharged which was granted by way of MLA to support an investigation by the Italian authorities. That investigation is not complete (and appears to be still at quite an early stage). What misconduct it may ultimately prove, if any, will be a matter for the PPM and the Italian court if proceedings are brought. However, precisely because I cannot reach firm factual conclusions, I cannot simply assume that the FGN which was in power in 2011 and subsequently until 2015 rigorously defended the public interest of the people of Nigeria in all respects. Mr. Fisher QC who appeared for the CPS used the phrase “grand corruption” to describe the form of corruption in which the state itself is culpable. The suggestion from the wiretaps is that “Fortunato” was implicated and I am told that this was a reference in code (not subtle) to the former President of Nigeria, President Goodluck Jonathan. Aliyu is said to be associated with him and Aliyu received, in a way which was not transparent, $523m of the money paid for the OPL 245 licence in August 2011.
“Given the gathering pace of the EFCC investigation in Nigeria under new leadership and a call by the Nigerian House of Representatives to cancel the deal in 2014, investors in Shell and Eni should demand to know why they were exposed to such risk,“ said Simon Taylor, a Director of Global Witness.
Suspects named in the Italian case include Eni and its current and former CEOs Claudio Descalzi and Paolo Scaroni, as well the company’s Chief Development, Operations & Technology Officer Roberto Casula and former executive Vicenzo Armanna. Other suspects in the Italian case include Dan Etete and middlemen Emeka Obi, Gianluca Di Nardo and Luigi Bisignani. Shell and Eni have denied any wrongdoing.
“It is clear from evidence in the public domain that high level executives in Shell personally took part in negotiating this deal. Citizens in the UK, US, Netherlands and Nigeria should demand that Shell and its executives are investigated in their respective countries,” said Nicholas Hildyard of The Corner House.
Shell and Eni have invested at least $1.8bn in purchasing and developing the block, which they own 50-50. It reportedly holds probable reserves of 9.23 billion barrels of oil, which if proven, would represent the equivalent of a third of Shell’s proven reserves, and two thirds of Eni’s.
Antonio Tricarico of Re:Common said: “$85 million paid by Eni and Shell for the benefit of Dan Etete’s company Malabu remains frozen in London. The time has come that Eni and Shell come clean about what they knew about this deal and who else this money was intended for.”

How many times are you going to post this;please use your medular sir
Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by Omooba77: 6:18pm On Jul 19, 2016
k2kay:
I realized we were in trouble when I was at a restaurant and a guy boldly walked to my table and insisted I give him 50bucks to balance what he had on him...the guy's boldness was scary....like he could kill to get his hands on it.
Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by Omooba77: 6:19pm On Jul 19, 2016
k2kay:
People no de mind shame again to beg oh; even babes inclusive
Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by Omooba77: 6:35pm On Jul 19, 2016
greatgod2012:
People are now abandoning capital projects.

The little savings many people have is now used for eating, since the current income is not even enough to eat.

No be small my sister; money saved is used for feeding now
Re: Signs That Things Are Getting Tougher In Nigeria by otobomax(m): 7:03pm On Jul 19, 2016
butanep:

Sometimes it is good to have to some space for personal development.
As in ehn am enjoying this. A man needs his space abeg ...... there are so much to think about and explore in this world . Female na secondary ....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ezekwesili Reacts To Buhari's Request To World Bank To Focus On Northern Nigeria / Nigerians Slam Femi Adesina Over Statement On President Buhari's Health / The Hausa Fulani, The Yoruba And The Slaughter In Ile Ife (1) By Fani-kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.