Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,282 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:17 AM

The Devil has the money ( A Novel) - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Devil has the money ( A Novel) (74364 Views)

The Devil In The Suit / The Devil Wears Okrika / The Devil Who Loved Me (true Life Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by johnwizey: 10:33am On Jul 21, 2016
bibijay123:

Good morning. Yea we do bro! grin
Morning sis, hope ur nyt was filled with inspirations for today's posts?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by bibijay123(f): 2:36pm On Jul 21, 2016
johnwizey:

.yes ooo, I saw ur write up, good stuff! When are u doing another one?
Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by bibijay123(f): 2:41pm On Jul 21, 2016
johnwizey:

Yes ooo, I read ur write up. Good stuff! When are you posting another one?

1 Like

Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by bibijay123(f): 4:50pm On Jul 21, 2016
Anugod:
Following like kilode. Bring it on Bibi!

Thanks babe!
Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by johnwizey: 5:08pm On Jul 21, 2016
Dis one wey Kojo's family don dey ball nw, i have this feeling Albert is involved. I won't blame Kojo in this situation, money na money either from God or the devil

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by johnwizey: 5:09pm On Jul 21, 2016
bibijay123:

Yes ooo, I read ur write up. Good stuff! When are you posting another one?
Soon!! Shey make we dey expect supper

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by bibijay123(f): 5:58pm On Jul 21, 2016
* continued*

We dined like royalties throughout the month. The five ' God sent' guys kept bringing us food items, at a point Nma got scared because times were hard for everyone but i easily assured her that all five of them were bachelors with no responsibility. Seyram, the government worker took it upon himself to register little Pam in the Catholique beginners school in my home town, he bought her all the necessaries she would need.

NPA( Father) is still not talking to us, when i greet him he doesn't respond. These days all he does is to drink to stupor and curse everyone from the government down to us. Sometimes he would sing Lucky Dube' s prisoner at the top of his lungs. One night i saw him in pants dancing and singing " I am a prisoner" at the top of his lungs, Afine came out of her hut and tried to take him inside but they both ended up on the floor. I couldn't resist laughing, i laughed so hard that I didn't know when Nma walked behind and slapped me on my back.

The next day i went to the Lecee (Poly) Gate and waited for Albert. He walked up to me under the tree i stood.

" Charley wassup? He said in English.

" I see you learnt English today. "

He shrugged " Yes. What are you doing here? "

" When are you coming home?''

" I don't have a home, is Nma alright? "

" She is okay but she is not happy with you staying at cousin Mensah' s place you know."

" As long as she is okay i see no reason to come home. What is going on with you? I heard you stopped schooling"

I looked away. It was a very sunny day, beautiful birds were chirping all around us .
Albert sat on the grass and I followed suit. " Listen to me Kojo, i want you to go back to school and i want you to be a good boy for Nma....you hear me? tell Nma that i love her and i want you to promise to take good care of her and little Pam when am........."

" When you are what Efo( bro) ?," I suddenly became scared. " Efo what is going on? "

" Ah Kojo! I don't know! I .....can't talk to about it. ''

" Does it have anything to do with those guys feeding us?"

He suddenly looked sick. " Just do what i told you, there's nothing like a good education "

" Will you at least tell me about Afine? I know about her, you talked in your sleep "

He sighed and got up. " She was in my class, her family moved here last year. She's the .....the first girl my heart ever beat for. I dreamt of her all the time, I wanted to be her all but i get tongue tied whenever i see her. My friends advised me to brag about my father' s farm, our large barnyard, how my father had millions stashed away somewhere. Unknown to me, her family was going through a rough time and somehow my bragging got to her family but they felt why marry the son? When you can Marry the father and inherit it all. Only thing is the joke was on them! Turns out our father is a stingy poor man. "

I stood up. " Why didn't you discourage her from marrying him?"

" I tried Kojo, God knows i tried. "

" I promise to go back to school if you promise to give up whatever it is that you have gotten yourself into now''

" Kojo.....have come so far, I .....I can't. Let me tell you a story. " He sat down once again and I did same too. " Kojo, there's a man who sent his daughter to the university, this man spent all the money he made from tapping wine on his beautiful daughter. One day a bad powerful man came to the school. " he paused for effect and looked at me.

Is this Bella' s story? I nodded and he continued " The powerful man cast a spell on the palmwine tapper' s daughter and carted her off to join his legions of wives. When the mother of the girl heard it, she was heartbroken. She went to the bad Man ' s house, do you know what he did to her?

I shook my head no and he went on " He cast a spell on the mother too. In fact he got the both of them pregnant''

This man is so evil. How could he commit such a taboo? '' what happened next Efo ( bro)

" The palmwine tapper went to his house to demand for his wife and daughter but he cast a spell on him too and made him his gate keeper. "

" The man is so terrible!" i said in anger.

" There are other families that he has done terrible things to too, what would you do Kojo? if you were the palm wine tapper' s son, what would you do?"

" I will try to get my family back"

'" That is not an easy feat boy, not easy, the evil man also cut off the manhood of a young man who fell in love with one of his daughters. He sent it to the young man ' s family. See I could go on but time is against us and you have to go home to help Nma fetch and carry." We both stood up.

" Who is this powerful evil man bro? "

Albert acted like he didn't hear me " Give this chalks to Pam" he brought out some colour chalks from his bag and handed them to me " Remember to tell Pam i love her too"

My eyes filled with tears. What is going on? should i speak to Nma ( Mother) about it?

TBC

End of Episode 1

PS bat3 drained. Will edit later pls

21 Likes 8 Shares

Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by Missmossy(f): 7:21pm On Jul 21, 2016
Aww enthralling as usual,kudos Bibi.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by PeachyP(f): 12:24am On Jul 22, 2016
Bibijay123 *thumbs up* cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by bibijay123(f): 7:42am On Jul 22, 2016
PeachyP:
Bibijay123 *thumbs up* cheesy

Thanks babe
Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by bibijay123(f): 7:42am On Jul 22, 2016
Missmossy:
Aww enthralling as usual,kudos Bibi.

Thank you babe [color=#990000][/color] kiss
Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by bibijay123(f): 7:45am On Jul 22, 2016
Good morning my beautiful ladies and handsome gentlemen. What do you think is going on with Albert? If you were Kojo what would you do?
Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by bibijay123(f): 7:55am On Jul 22, 2016
johnwizey:
Soon!! Shey make we dey expect supper

Morning bro, hope u enjoyed the supper?
Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by bibijay123(f): 10:41am On Jul 22, 2016
Episode 2
Micheal Jackson comes to town

I was running but i couldn't meet up with the tall man in black robe walking ahead of me, dead bodies littered everywhere, a woman sat on the bloody boulevard cradling her dead twin boys, she was wailing at the top of her lungs. The 17 or 18 year old twin students had been shot through the head. Where is little Pam? I felt something streaking down my left arm, it was blood.

" Kojo help me! Please help me!"

I ran towards the voice trying not to step on the litters of dead bodies on the ground how could only one man have the power to destroy so many lives? who gave him the power? I kept running towards the voice, i got to the end of the street where thousands of dead bodies had been dumped. Where is Albert? i moved bodies after bodies but i couldn't find him. I was almost giving up when i looked up. His body, or what was left of his body was hung on a tree nearby. His manhood had been slashed off and tucked into his mouth. His legs had been cut off at the knee. I opened my mouth and screamed.

" Kojo! Kojo! " Nma shook my sweat drenched body. " Its okay son, its okay, its only a dream"

I sat up on my tattered mat, wiping sweat from my brows.

" Kojo what is it about? these horrible nightmares you have been having, what is it about?"

" Nothing Nma ( Mother), its just some silly things''

She gave a loud sigh and gathered me into her arms " Son you must stop watching horror movies at your friend' s place. They are the reason for the nightmares"

Early that morning i knocked on Npa ( Father) 's door, it was opened by a sleepy Afine. I greeted her and entered the hut.Afine is no longer the haughty wife she was when she newly married my father, her ' newness' is slowly wearing thin so father is showing her his true colors now. My father was on his bed, he sat up and asked her to excuse us. I was shocked to the bones but i maintained my cool.

" Bonjour NPA ( Father)"

" Whatever you have to say, it better be worth it" he grumbled.

" NPA i have been having terrible nightmares concerning Albert"

He snorted. " So you came to disturb my sleep because of that mad boy?" He made an attempt to stand up but fell back on the bed. " Get out!"

" He's your son! Your first son! Where is your conscience father!''? I stood up in anger, i have never talked this way to my father before but i was so angry i couldn't help it.

" Kojo you have also grown wings ehn? You want to beat me too? " He staggered to his feet " In my own house? You want to climb me and ride me like a horse in my own house ehn!?

" What did we ever do to you? We used to be happy father.....although we had nothing we were happy and content with it until you decided to snatch your own son' s girl! " I paled at the look of horror on his face. I didn't mean to say that, it just came out and from the look on his face he had no idea of what i was saying. Did Albert lie to me?

" Snatch whose girl! Afine? Talk to me boy! oh am getting it now! her family approached me and offered her to me! is that the reason Albert came charging at me like a mad bull? over a slip of a girl? "

I went out of the hut while he shouted at me to come back. Nma( Mother) would understand better but i was reluctant to tell her because i don't know how she would handle it. I thought briefly of going to see cousin Mensah about the reoccurring nightmares but i decided against it. After all they were both in it. Nma ( Mother ) was washing clothes at the back of our hut, little Pam had gone to school . I took a stool and sat beside her.

" Nma ( Mother) there is something i have to tell you "

She stopped washing and gave me her full attention, anxiety was written all over her face. This was one of the reasons i was reluctant to tell her.

" What is it Kojo?"

" Nma its about....... " i trailed of as we both heard a woman' s voice shouting Nma' s name at the top of her voice. Josey, a short and stocky woman in her forties ran to us. She was a distant cousin to my mother. She was also known as the town's gossip, if you want to know the latest happening in Town all you have to do is buy her a small bottle of alcohol and she will relay every relevant and irrelevant gist to you.

" Nma Albert! What my eyes saw today you have not seen it! Wonders will never end in this our country! " Josey exclaimed amidst pants. " Come and see for yourself! Your Ataga ( brother_ in law) has been exposed! "

" Ataga ( brother_ in law) Kamasa?" Nma asked her.

I sighed. Women and gossip are like five and six. Kamasa is my father' s step brother, Mensah' s father, he is short, almost like a dwarf. He has short stumpy legs and he is as dark as sin. Fortunately for my cousins they favor their mother. Uncle Kamasa is rarely ever home, he is a hardworking farmer who is so obsessed with farming that he built a small hut there and comes home once in a while. Everyone wonders how he was able to get Mami a lovely fair skinned Ghanian lady to marry him.

Josey pulled on my mother' s hand and they ran out of the compound, my Usain Bolt legs followed suit.

Mami sat on the bare floor crying and pulling at her hair. Ama sat on the stone step of her room, a stony expression on her face. Cousin Mensah stood arms akimbo looking at his mother. I saw my ugly looking uncle pacing up and down and muttering to himself. A crowd had gathered, since nothing good ever happens word spreads quickly like a wild fire when something does happen.

Some women tried to lift Mami up but she pushed them away. " You have ruined my life! Kamasa you have finally done your worse! " She cried out.

Nma and some other women lifted her up and took her to her room. I saw Albert walk into the compound and i ran up to him.

" What happened Efo( bro)" I asked.

" This morning, Mami asked Ama to sweep Ataga ( uncle) ' s room. Ama saw a calabash under his bed. She brought it out of curiosity to her mother. Upon seeing the calabash Mami started screaming, asking where am I? What am i doing here? She started acting weird"

" What does it mean? did Ataga( Uncle) cast a spell on her or what?"

" Obviously. she does not recognize her own children anymore. The only person she recognizes is uncle because she knew him before he cast the spell on her and brought her here to be his wife"

" Awww, that is so bad of uncle, you know i have wondered how a beautiful woman such as Mami would marry our ugly looking uncle" i said.

" The painful part is, she said she was betrothed to someone when uncle came to ask for her hand in marriage. She told him she was engaged to another and that is the only thing she remembers of the past. She has no recollection whatsoever that she has been in Togo for almost 28 years. She kept asking after her parents and when Mensah tried to hold her, she pushed him away asking who he was. Its a terrible thing"

I left my brother and went to sit beside Ama. " come let's go".

I held out my hand, she hesitated for a minute or two before placing hers on mine. I led her out of the crowdy yard. We walked in silence until we got to the empty big field where football matches hold on weekend. We sat down on the green grasses quietly.

" Kojo its all my fault. Why did i show Mami the calabash? This is all my fault!" She started sobbing gently. I gathered her into my arms while she sobbed her heart out. Wow! the beautiful and sassy Ama was sobbing in my arms? Unbelievable!

" Shhhh....none of this is your fault Ama..... don't cry now Cherie ( Sweetheart) i patted her on the back gently while my heart kept somersaulting.

TBC

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by bdchange(m): 11:56am On Jul 22, 2016
What a lovely story. Can't wait for the continuation.
Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by Anugod(f): 12:25pm On Jul 22, 2016
Wow..... undecided
Which kind love portion be that one?! Na to jus curse the man ni angry undecided

Albert's life is becoming scary oo. For a moment I thought Kojo's dream was real embarassed embarassed

Bibi please bring more, bring more and kill this curiosity of mine please! This one na jus appetizer wink wink cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by TheSociopath(m): 5:05pm On Jul 22, 2016
The story keeps getting bigger and suspenseful. Chai Bibi!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by bibijay123(f): 6:42pm On Jul 22, 2016
* Continues*

I don't know how long we sat there in the open field. Ama continued crying while i petted and comforted her. Albert and Mensah came looking for us and we all walked to our house in silence. Mensah said Ama should spend the night with us, he and Albert went home together. My Ataga ( Uncle) was summoned to the king' s palace. He was openly disgraced and jeered at. A hefty fine was slapped on him, the king asked Mami if she wanted to stay married to him but she refused.

The next morning i walked Ama to their house, i stood outside while she went into her mother' s room. Mami came out with her valise( cloth box), she dropped it outside and went in to bring out her Banigba( an iron bowl used as closet) . Ama came out, her eyes were red and puffy. My heart squeezed, my Ama had been crying. What could i do to help? I approached Mami who came out carrying yet another valise.

" Mami....."

She looked up and looked at me piercingly until i felt sweat trickle down my spine.

" Who are you and how can i help you?" She asked sharply.

" My name is Kojo, i am your nephew_ your favorite nephew"

She dropped the valise and folded her arms across her chest, listening, my heart leapt with joy.

" When my mother had me she was very Ill, you took me home with you and cared for me as if i was your very own child. you have always treated me like a son and you are my favorite aunt. You see Ama over there." I pointed at Ama who stood looking at us " She means the world to me, i love her .......Mami please for the sake of Ama and the love we both have for her, please don't leave"

Her eyes got misty with tears. " You don't know how it feels like waking up one morning to discover you married your worst nightmare, had his children and wasted your whole life with him............i don't know what has become of my parents or the man i was bethrothed to. The most painful part of all these is that, i don't remember ever carrying a child in my womb twice not to talk of remembering those children i brought into this world. She looked at Ama. I feel so empty inside, i can no longer stay here, in this evil place! i would have taken you with me but I don't know if I still have the life i once had before "

A cab drove into the compound. She asked the cabbie to help her put her load in the booth. Ama and i stood looking at her in shock. She paid the cabbie, brought some money out which she trust into Ama' s hand but she flung the money on the ground and ran into her room in tears. I picked the money and gave them to Mami but she asked me to keep it. I put it into my pocket, i wasn't taking it for myself. I was only saving it for Ama.

" What is the name of the boy?" She asked me.

" Which boy?"

" Her brother" She said.

" Mensah, he's 26 years old " i added.

She laughed and thanked me " I see now why you were my favorite, i believe now that you were and you still are". She got into the cab " Please tell him that i am not good with goodbyes, tell him i said he should take good care of his younger sister and i will put them in my prayers" .

The cab rolled slowly out of the yard, as the cabbie was reversing, Mensah and Albert walked in holding some bush meats, obviously their traps had caught them. Cousin Mensah stood looking at the cab, Mami looked away, she never for once looked back as the Cab rolled away, i reckoned to her that chapter of her life is done with.

Mensah gave me one of the bush meat which i took home to Nma, I waited and brought them lunch, rice and bush meat stew. The guys ate ravenously but Ama refused to eat. She blamed herself for everything, i didn't go home that night. I offered to sleep in Ama ' s room, i took a mat and laid it on the floor. I could hear her sobbing into her wrapper, maybe she needed to cry and get over the guilt so I left her alone. When the nigthmare struck, she came to lay beside me while i shivered in fright. We laid on the mat in each other' s arms until we drifted off to sleep and that was the beginning of our bitter sweet friendship.

The five ' God Sent' continued bringing us food item, Nma sometimes invite them to stay for dinner, they never come the same day. One day Nma asked Lyon the lecee ( Poly) student if he knew Francis the lecee lecturer who is one of the God sent too but he said no and quickly changed the topic. His behavior piqued my interest and i vowed to do all i could to get to the bottom of whatever it is that is going on.

Ama comes to my house after noon class and we would disappear into the woods where we would sit in silence for long staring at nothing, sometimes i would do my break dance for her, just to make her laugh. Now more than ever, i want to be rich so i could give my princess all that she wants. I started going to the market to help women carry loads but i soon realized that an honest job will not make me who i want to be. Only the devil has the kind of money i crave for.
I overheard some group of Nana benz( Rich mama), those types that bleach their skins to the extend that you can see the blood flowing in their vein. They were talking about a powerful papa who helped them, i lingered long enough to find out where he lives.

He lives in a remote part of Ahepe town, Ahepe is a town in my country, it is rumoured that the people in that town are powerful people. i knew what i had to do. I could feel the blood pumping in my veins, what is it about money that gets me so excited?

I laboured from dawn till dusk carrying bags of salt and beans in the market. I gave Nma some part of the money, Ama also gets her share too although she protests too much that she doesn't need it i know she does. The larger portion of the money which was nothing to begin with goes into my piggy bank. Nma seems to think that i was saving up to buy myself some new jeans.

Ama was almost always at my house these days, her father had gone back to stay at his farm. Rumour has it he has been trying to make a new charm to bring his wife back. We haven't heard a word from Mami since she left three months ago.

One morning i was getting ready to go to work when i heard Afine screaming excitedly. I went outside and saw her hugging a Micheal Jackson Wannabe. He was tall and handsome, his jerry curls were shinny like he dipped his head into a gallon of gel. He had on black pant trousers that was afraid to reach his ankles, with sparkling white socks and black pointy shoes. His shirt sleeve was rolled up to his elbow and they were hooked to his pants with suspenders.Afine led him to where i stood and introduced him as her brother Kofi, he held out his hand to me, grinning stupidly. I couldn't help liking the clown, whoever likes Micheal Jackson is a friend of mine.

" Hello my name is Kofi but my Azeey( Pals) calls me Kofa"

" Hello Koffa" I shook his hands.

" Am glad to know i won't be the only guy staying in this compound, are there any hot Mamas in the hood?" He asked.

" Kofi!" Afine shouted and walked away muttering under her breath.

Nma came out of her room and Kofi stared at her lustfully until i kicked his legs and he hops up and down holding his foot.

" What was that for? i thought you are my Azeey (Pal)"

'' Charley that is my mother you were staring at like a dog in heat" I said.

" Sorry Azeey ( Pal), your mother is a beautiful woman, can't blame a brother for looking. But no more looking"

" Why are you here?" i asked.

" Am going to start lecee( poly) here, am on scholarship but i have to sort out where i stay, my cute sister offered me a place here. He looked at the mud houses in disgust. " Even though its not much to look at, i accepted"

" Okay. See you later'' I said as i walked away.

I worked extra hard carrying bags after bags of food items just so i could have enough money to go look for Papa Ayi the powerful man who could make me who i want to become in life. The thought of how much money i would have at my disposal didn't make me mind the hard work much. I would beg little Pam to help me rub my aching back at night, one evening Ama said she would help me massage my shoulders, Nma and Pam had gone to see Albert and Mensah so we were alone. Micheal Jackson wannabe had also retired for the night so we were truly alone.
Her soft soothing hands on my bare shoulders did wonders to my body, i didn't know when i erupted in my shorts. I was so embarrassed but she assured me it was nature. She excused me while i changed into new shorts but she never offered to massage my shoulders again.

Every evening Kofa would regale us with one joke after the other. He is just too funny, you can't help liking him. His one weakness is older women, he came to look for me at the market one day, all the mama La Benz ( Rich milf) were giving him the eye. It wasn't long before he hooked up with a big assed Mama, she took good care of him both in cash and kind.

I briefly considered hooking up with one too so i could have more money but i quickly put it out of my mind, those women do not have the kind of money i want. However Kofa shared his booties with me. He encouraged me to have a rethink but i knew i wanted more. I deserve more. Instead of waiting for my money to add up i borrowed some from Kofa, one early morning i snuck off to the motor pack. I bought a face cap and wore it, i boarded the bus going to Ahepe_ 12 kilometers from my own home town. We had a smooth journey, the road was free of traffic besides how many people have money to board buses these days? We got to Ahepe in no time, i bought hot dogs and koliko ( fried yam) at the motor park. After topping it down with a bottle of cold Coca_Cola i asked for directions to Papa Ayi' s place. I was told i will take a bike and continue half of the journey to his place on foot. I told them at the park that he was my grandfather to stop them from asking annoying questions. I took a bike,200 cefas, to the pig farm road and i walked the straight path leading to his farm. There was nobody on the road, i was a bit scared but I kept telling myself that i must be brave. At some point i thought i heard footsteps behind me, I broke into a run until i saw smoke from a far. The women of the household or mudhold? gave me water to drink, i sat on the stool given to me. I told them i was looking for Papa Ayi. The younger of the two women went inside one of the huts, she led a scrawny, sick looking blind old man out of the hut. My heart plummeted and dropped at my feet.

I couldn't believe i came all the way from Tabligbo ( my home town) to meet an old blind man. But his words surprised me.

He gave an eerily laugh and said " Small child, you have come far and you are disappointed to see i am just an old blind man'' he laughed again.

How could he possibly know that?

" Come with me" he said. The young woman led him back into his hut and i followed him.

The hide of different animals were hung on the wall, there were seven different gods in a corner of the room. We both sat on a deer hide on the floor, the young woman went out of the room.

" I may be blind but i see far.....far beyond what the physical eye can see. He spat on the floor " What you seek for is not here, your purpose in life is greater than this way "

" How do you know what i seek for Papa and what is my purpose in life?"

" You seek for money and power, your purpose in life is not for me to tell you"

" Papa it is true i seek for money that is why....."

" That is why you have been seeking for the secrets to money, that is why you eavesdropped on those women in the market and you came looking for me" he finished for me.

I was amazed. i was in the right place at last. " Please you have to help me Papa"

" Son this way is not your way. If you continue in this way, if you jump up, you will surely jump down!"

Why is this man being mean? What is all this talk about jumping up and coming down? " You dont understand sir, i need....."

" You need to wait for your time. I can't help you. "

I stood up dejectedly.

" Tell Kofi he will soon have gonorhea if he is not careful" he said laughing eerily. " And tell your brother to be careful, real careful"

I stomped out of the hut. I had come all the way here for nothing. The women offered me some food but i refused, a young man came out of the other hut and gave me a ride to the motor park.

TBC

Please share your views friends, like and share too.

26 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by bibijay123(f): 7:17pm On Jul 22, 2016
bdchange:
What a lovely story. Can't wait for the continuation.

Thanks! Continued!
Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by bibijay123(f): 10:15am On Jul 23, 2016
* Continues*

These days i have passion for nothing else but to sleep. Ever since i came back from Papa Ayi' s place i have lost the will to live. How could he say it wasn't my way? am i destined not to be wealthy in this life? how do i give Ama all the finer things of life? how do i put a smile on my mother' s face. I lost appetite for food too, Ama and Nma( Mother) thought i was falling sick. They kept fussing over me, sometimes i managed to push down some morsels just to please them. Kofa indeed contacted gonorhea just like the old man said. I walked Ama home one evening so i could have a talk with my brother. We met him and Mensah playing cards, Ama went into her room, i got a chair and played with them for a while.

" I have to talk to you guys about something"

" Charley what is it?" Mensah asked still playing his hands.

" I have been having terrible reoccurring nightmares"

" Everyone has nightmares sometimes bro" Albert said not looking up.

" These are not ordinary nightmares bro, same horrid scene all the time and they are about you. There's danger lurking round the corner."

They both went silent. " Don't worry Kojo, i will be fine" Albert said.

I stood up no longer interested in the game,i was losing any way.

" Am going for a walk with Ama"

" Alright" they both said at once and continued with their game. I went to knock on Ama' s door, i looked back and observed my brother and our cousin. They were no longer playing the card, they were whispering and from the look on their face they were both worried about something. Ama came out, we called out byes but they didn't respond. We went to our usual place, the field but a match was being held since it was weekend. We bought ice creams and watched the match, we soon lost interest in the game and chased after each other till we got exhausted and collapsed under a tree far from where the match was being played.

" Kojo thank you" Ama said.

" Why are you thanking me"?

" You know, for everything"

I laughed " I don't know what you are talking about".

She punched my arm playfully " You are being modest, just say you are welcome "

" Alright madam! you are welcome "

She sat up " I just remembered as you called me madam, i ought to be in school 2.pm today! I wonder what the time says now!"

" What is happening today? why do you have to be in school on a Saturday?"

She looked at me her eyes going wide in disbelief. " Kojo don't tell me you don't know! Where have you been?"

If its not money i don't have an interest in it no wonder i had no idea what she was going on about. " Please can you just tell me already?"

" We are preparing for the president' s visit! every school is rehearsing either a play or something! we are matching in my school, even the Lecee students will march too and the overall brilliant students will get to give him a handshake!" she beamed at me.

" Ehen? What is the name of the president"?

" Kojo! Seriously?! come on! don't tell me you don't know! Don't you listen to radio or watch news?"

" There's no electricity in my house and i don't own a radio. Besides how is he my headache? So what's the fuss about? "

" Oh you! its a big privilege for him to choose to visit our little town! Since i am the overall best student in my school i get to shake his hands! Am super excited but...." She suddenly looked gloomy.

" One minute you are excited, the next you are not, what happened?"

" Its just that i don't have any new dress to wear.....if Mami was around she would have made me a new dress"

" If you could wish for a new dress, how would you want it to be?"

She lighted up" Ah! i would wish for a long beautiful gown, preferably blue in color with sleeves ending at the elbow and a low neckline. " She laughed " But you know its a waste of time making wishes, do them ever come true?"

" Some do Ama" i whispered.

I opened my piggy bank some days later and bought two beautiful blue gowns, the smaller one was for little Pam. The fierce hug Ama gave me when she saw it made me realize it was worth it. I urged her to try it on, she removed her top and i was lost for words. There were scars all over her body, there were angry welts on her arms. Some of the scars looked old but some were recent ones.

" Who did this to you Ama!?"

" Oh these? Its nothing Kojo" she tied a wrapper around her waist, she shimmied out of her skirt and stepped out of it.

" Who has been abusing you? Is it Mensah?"

" Oh no! Please he must not know about this.....please. " She sat down " He has a lot on his plate right now, i don't want anymore trouble "

" I won't tell him but things can't go on like this! Why didn't you tell me? Who did this to you? "

" My father...... He beats me for no reason whenever he comes home. When Efo( bro) Mensah and Efo Albert is not around, he finds one reason or the other to beat me. I guess he's punishing me for what i did, showing that calabash to Mami"

'' Oh Ama! why didn't you tell me or Nma? how long were you going to let him do this to you! It is not your fault! you must report him to the authorities or to your brother!"

" No! no please not now....he rarely comes home but if he comes again I promise to rush down to your place immediately "

" Ama......"

" Please Kojo, i don't want anymore drama"

" Alright, please as soon as you see him, run to my place and you will be with us till he left, okay?"

" Okay";She sighed loudly " Now can i try on this beautiful dress?"

I grinned " Yes you may madam!"

The president' s visit was the talk of town, some were of the opinion that he shouldn't come while some were advocating for him to come and as for me i couldn't care less. It was all Ama talked about, even Kofa who was under going treatment for his gonorhea talked about it non stop until my ears ached. Little Pam was not left out of it, we had no television so she kept asking what does the president look like? is he kind like Mr Seyram or mean like her numbers teacher? i got tired of the endless questions.

I didn't see Ama for two days straight, it wasn't like her and i was mentally planning to go see her when Mensah came to see Nma. He didn't look happy, Nma offered him a seat but he declined and went to the point." There was a little accident Nma ( Mother)" he said.

Nma screamed " What happened to Albert? Where is he?"

" Albert is fine Nma, its about Ama"

What happened to Ama? My Ama?

" What happened to her!" Nma and i said at once.

" I wasn't around when it happened, i was out hunting with Albert"

" What happened to her"? I shouted.

" My father was beating her with a broom, one of the stick pierced her left eye in the process"

Nma and i screamed. " Where is she now? Is she alright? " Nma asked while i was left speechless.

" She is in the general hospital but the doctors say the eye won't ever be good again ". He said sadly.

Nma started wailing. She rushed inside and came out with her purse and scarf. " Please take me to her! please take me to her!"

I was too shocked and sad to talk. If only i had insisted that she reported him to the authorities. Tears of regret streaked down my face. I just couldn't face her, i felt so small and i ran inside and laid on my mat in a fetal position crying.

TBC

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by nijabazaar: 11:39am On Jul 23, 2016
Every francophone stuff is exotic to me....like this.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by bibijay123(f): 2:12pm On Jul 23, 2016
nijabazaar:
Every francophone stuff is exotic to me....like this.

Thanks!
Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by bibijay123(f): 4:20pm On Jul 23, 2016
* Continues*

Everyone had gone to see Ama at the hospital except me. I couldn't face her, knowing how i wasn't there to protect her. The only good news was that my uncle was arrested for abuse,my nightmares started again and Kofa also started acting strange but i just summed it up as one of those things peculiar to him. The president ' s visit was only a day away now.Everyone was excited, i was sad that Ama won't be there, she won't get that handshake she had been dying for, she won't wear her beautiful blue gown and march in front of the other students. She was transferred to another hospital in a neighboring town for better medical care.

One evening i summoned on courage, plucked some wild flowers and went to see her. She was propped up in bed staring at the ceiling, her left eye was heavily covered with plaster. I wondered how she was feeling at the moment, she acted like she didn't see me. I stretched out the flower towards her, she collected them and resumed staring at the ceiling.

" How are you feeling?"

" Okay"

" Do you mind if i stay here for a while? Or stay over the night"

She shrugged so i took it as a yes. I sat on the bed next to hers.

" Have you eaten?"

" Efo (bro) Mensah brought something for me to eat"

" Do you want anything else"?

She shrugged again. I went out to buy fried spaghetti with salad and fried turkey ass with a can of coke.i watched her dug into the food with gusto, at least she still had an healthy apetite.

" Thank you" She handed me the empty food pack and i threw it in the waste bin in a corner of the room.

" I brought cards for us to play" i said as i brought out the pack of whots from my pocket.We played for a while until I got tired of losing and accepted defeat.

" Thank you" She said again.

" For what?"

" For acting normal i guess....when my brother came here he couldn't decide if he wanted to hug me or weep till he drops. He kept fidgeting,asking every second if i was okay"

" He cares about you Ama, i know he's beating himself over this and feeling guilty for not being there to protect you" i also felt guilty too but i wasn't about to let her know.

" I know Kojo, but am still the same Ama i was before this happened....right?" She laid back on the bed. " I don't want to be pitied, i can stand anything but not pity please"

" You are still the same beautiful Ama and no one pities you"

" Good"

She scooted to the edge of the bed and i laid beside her. When we woke up the next morning, a blanket had been draped over our bodies by some kind nurse or doctor. I went out of the room for the doctors to see to her. I helped her to the bathroom, afterwards i also freshened up and went to get us breakfast,we ate in silence until i remembered something that has been nagging me for long.

" Ama do you know Bella? Or maybe you have heard of her?"

" Bella? Who is she?"

" She......i think she was your brother' s girlfriend"

" Oh that Bella? yes i guess so"

" Okay, do you know what happened to her?"

" I overhead Mami and Efo( bro) Mensah talking about her once, long ago, i think she was murdered in a gruesome manner, her family too. What is your interest in her?"

I shrugged " Just curious, You know who murdered her?"

" I heard a bad man who goes to schools under the pretext of helping students. I don't remember much now, it was long ago."

" Would you still like to go for the march? Its today, i heard its taking place on the street opposite the market, Nma ( Mother) said the streets had been cleaned and bulbs have been put up"

" I can't go, i wasn't only going for the handshake you know? We were told in school, that some lucky students would be given scholarship and other monetary items by the president. I was hoping mother luck would shine on me too"

A bell rang in my head and kept ringing . " What is his name?"

" President Komla Amuzu"

The name rang no bell but i suddenly felt uncomfortable.

" The lecee ( Poly) students are also marching, Efo ( bro) Albert being the overall best student in his school is also getting a handshake but surely you know that already" She said proudly.

My palms suddenly felt sweaty and i wiped it on my pants. " Ama do you know these men? Seyram, Francis....."

" Doji, Yaovi and Lyon. They come to see my brother under the cover of the night. I don't know what their nocturnal meetings were about"

My heart was pounding loudly as sweat broke out all over my body. I don't know what it was but it wasn't a good thing i was sure. What has my brother gotten himself into? How could they think they could defeat a president! All the puzzles are fitting in now, the man who had more than enough money to lure young girls to their doom, the man rich enough to have thousands of armies at his beck. Of course it could only be the president! My horrid nightmares and Papa Ayi' s warning swarmed across my mind. I had to stop my brother from doing anything stupid. I told Ama i would be back and dashed out of the hospital room. I ran like the devil was on my heels, the motor park was empty, i ran back and forth looking for a cab. Fortunately, i saw a bike rider, i hailed him and got on the bike. I told him to ride like death was after him. God please help me! Its been so long i called on God for anything and i hoped for the sake of my poor mother he would answer my cries.

End of episode 2

TBC

19 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by Anugod(f): 9:38pm On Jul 23, 2016
Hmmm... Now the heat is on!

Following swiftly. Thanks Bibi. Awaiting updates.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by johnwizey: 11:13pm On Jul 23, 2016
Jeez!!! I have missed alot. Keep bursting our brains, u rock jhoor.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by bibijay123(f): 12:51am On Jul 24, 2016
Dedicated to Anugod and Johnwizey

Episode 3

We were almost at the junction that leads to my town when we heard the ruckus. Some young men ran past us,shouting at us to turn back, the bike rider asked me to come down and he drove off leaving behind a trail of black smoke. I ran towards my town my heart pounding in my ears.

" Young Man don't go there" An old homeless man called out to me " Trouble, i tell you, trouble is there" He walked away.

I ignored him and kept running, i could see smokes from afar, God please let my family be alright i prayed as i ran further.

" Young man!" a woman hiding in the bushes called out" They are shooting over there"

" Who is shooting at whom"

" Come, come and hide here"

I had to look for my family, i ran further towards the town, i saw some group of armies coming and i dived into the bushes until their van had rolled by. I came out of the bushes and kept running. I was almost at the market place, when some group of boys in shorts with red bandanas round their necks marched towards me singing at the top of their voice, they were burning tyres and marching in cycles. I got under one of the market stalls until i could hear their voices from afar. I crept through the empty market until i could see the street where the march was to be held. Thousands of dead students were on the ground, i could see some little children in uniform among them too. I heaved up my breakfast and puked till i got dizzy.

Someone touched my shoulder from behind and i screamed.

" Shhh...shh.. Its me Kojo" Lyon one of the God sent said.

" Where is my brother!?"

" He's fine....come i will take you to him "

We crept through the market till we got to the mission catholique church, Lyon opened the gate glancing over his shoulder to make sure we weren't followed. He closed the gate after us.

" What happened? Why is my brother involved in this? "

" Its a long story"

" Make it short!"

" We were recruited by Seyram,to bring the president down, besides each of us had a personal vendetta against the bastard anyway. We knew he is a powerful man so we were fortified against his charms or so we thought! Only the overall best student could get close enough to him, to stab him in the chest with the ' Special charm' knife and that's where your brother comes in"

" How could he drag my brother into something like this?"

" Albert was assured that his family won't lack for anything and he's also doing it for his country."

" So what went wrong?"

" Seyram was the right hand man of the president, he also convinced him to come visit our town. When the president' s plane touched down, he ( Seyram) told him he got information that the students planned a coup. He betrayed us! but he payed dearly for it, the president knew he was in on it too and ordered him beheaded at once before he gave orders that fire should be opened on all the students while he watched from his helicopter in the sky"

" How.......how did the president know that he was in on it?"

"He gave him our full names and he was the one who advised him to come to our town in the first place. The soldiers were screaming our names as they opened fire"

" Where are the others?" Where is my brother?"

" The others has been dragged off to God knows where, i managed to escape and i have to leave town tonight. I entered into this thinking i could rescue my family.....he ( President) married both my sister and my mother, he made my father his slave too."

Lyon took me to the back of the church where there were tall grasses, he whistled to let them know it was us. Albert was in Mensah' s arms, Mensah was trying to stop the blood rushing out from his chest with his shirt. I knelt beside them.

" Albert " i cried. He had been shot in the shoulder and he was losing blood quickly." We have to take him to the hospital! "

" Its too risky, we have to wait and sneak him to the hospital at night." Mensah said.

I started crying. " We have to take him to the hospital now!"

Albert reached out and held me with his blood soaked hand. " Don't cry Kojo, don't cry, i will be fine"

" Hang in there Charley" Cousin Mensah said.

" Am not....going anywhere" Albert whispered with blood gushing out of his mouth.

I put his head on my thighs while i wiped the blood from his mouth " Lyon...Lyon....please can you go look for Father Flavi? he might be able to help "

Lyon looked stricken " We can't let anyone know we are here!"

" Please, please " I cried.

" its better if no one knows we are here Kojo. If i can get a knife i will try to dig out the bullets" Mensah said.

" No...no am fine" Albert whispered.

" Father Flavi won't tell anyone" i tried to convince them.

Albert suddenly went into a fit, Mensah held him down while Lyon kept pressure on the wound. I held him and cried, i cried till he stopped jerking and laid still in my arms. Mensah started crying too, while Lyon sat down staring into space. Albert won't go the university, he wont see little Pam grow into a woman, he won't see me become the big man i wanted to be. I cradled his head and cried into the night.

Please like, share and leave a comment.

TBC

29 Likes 11 Shares

Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by bibijay123(f): 12:51am On Jul 24, 2016
Anugod:
Hmmm... Now the heat is on!

Following swiftly. Thanks Bibi. Awaiting updates.

Good morning babe, updated!

1 Like

Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by Gracious10: 4:17am On Jul 24, 2016
Very interesting.

More please.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by Anugod(f): 12:57pm On Jul 24, 2016
Awwwwww... Thanks sweetheart for the dedication! kiss kiss kiss

What kind of mess is this? cry cry cry

Why should the devil have the money and put them into so much agony as this? cry embarassed embarassed
Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by therealrajgupta: 12:59pm On Jul 24, 2016

Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by johnwizey: 4:27pm On Jul 24, 2016
WOW!!! So i got an update, bibi is bae. I appreciate tanx alot.

1 Like

Re: The Devil has the money ( A Novel) by Anugod(f): 4:30pm On Jul 24, 2016
bibijay123:

Good morning babe, updated!
Sis can you make the topic an English name? Then probably put the original name in your first post? Cos, alotta peeps would just bypass the title since it sounds uninteresting to most cheesy grin

Even me, I only came in cos I was directed from someone's dairy... wink Ordinarily, it's difficult to open a thread bearing this title...(that's if you want more views oo).

But...if you attract more people here, then you gats dey feed us plenty meals o, if not dem go finish ya life oo, all 'em Oliver Twists grin grin

But if you're ok with the cool environment, then fine. You've really got a great story here kiss kiss

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Medicine / HANNAH 'S STORY ----***falling In Love Or Lust With My Neighbour ***---- / CHOICES AND Chances(a Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 190
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.