Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,363 members, 7,812,036 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:52 AM

BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education (47399 Views)

Adamu Abubakar Rasheed Graduates From University Of Aberdeen UK. Nigerians React / FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders / HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by lordoddy(m): 3:38am On Aug 03, 2016
Adamu confirms abolition of BSc/HND dichotomy

Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu yesterday confirmed the abolition of the dichotomy that hitherto existed between the Higher National Diploma (HND) and University degree otherwise known as B.Sc.

The Minister who announced the official position of the government in Abuja yesterday said the stories that has been on social media has element of mischief.

“The dichotomy between Bsc and HND has been eliminated,” he said.

Daily Sun gathered that the National Council on Establishments (NCE) has also given approval for the abolition of the dichotomy.

The Minister, last month announced that the government had concluded plans to abolish the dichotomy that hitherto existed between these two educational qualifications, but a reliable source in the Ministry said the policy announcement was put on hold pending the decision of the National Council on Establishments and the Federal Executive Council (FEC).

“This is serious education policy that has effect on millions of Nigerian students. So, the Minister is very careful not to make mistake that would further compound the issue. To this end, he (the Minister) decided to wait for the input of all stakeholders,” the source said.

However, some scholars have expressed mixed reaction to the plan of the government to abolish the dichotomy.

A lecturer from the University of Abuja who pleaded said instead of abolition, a short post-graduate program should be developed for polytechnic graduates to brush them up and bring them up to the level of the University graduates.

“Why would you want to abolish the dichotomy and put both qualifications side by side when the entry requirements for university is higher than that of polytechnics. For instance, there are specific number of Professors and P.hD holders required in a particular faculty in a university, unlike in the polytechnics, where, in some cases, you discover that it is university graduates that are teaching the students,” he said.

The president of the Academic Staff of Nigerian Universities (ASUU), Professor Biodun Ogunyemi also opposed the abolish the dichotomy.

“The tenacity of these two qualifications is tested at the work place. People have been saying that there is no disparity between HND and Degree certificate but I don’t see how both graduates can match each other especially at the level of work place.

Dr. Femi Olufumilade, Head of Political Science Department, Igbinedion University, Okada said the decision ought to have taken place long ago.
“Nevertheless, it is a good development in our education system because the disparity has created a huge psychological gap between the graduates of Polythecnics and University,” he said.

Prof. Ifeoma Nwoye of the Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida (IBB) University, Lapai, Niger State also endorsed government. She argued that polythecnic education system failed woefully in achieving its objective of raising skilled technical manpower.
“Even the Britain where we copied the polythecnic education system from has abolished and now run a single university system. So, there is nothing bad about the decision,” she said.
She, however, called for a total overhaul of the tertiary education curriculum.

A lecturer in the Department of Sociology, Dr. Peter Ogah said , “ It has little or no negative implication. We welcome it even though I graduated from University. Let us support it” he said.

She accused the of double standard for giving due recognition to HND holders, saying that the discrimination is obvious in government employment, where HND holders are placed below degree Degree holders.

A Professor of Education in Ebonyi State University, Sunday Agwu asked the government, in implementing such decision to consider admission requirements, qualifications for lectuerers as well as curricular.

http://sunnewsonline.com/adamu-confirms-abolition-of-bschnd-dichotomy/

1 Like 5 Shares

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by yemmynoni: 5:15am On Aug 03, 2016
Mr femi olufunmilade I sight you jare

3 Likes

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by mamaafrik(m): 6:43am On Aug 03, 2016
Some bsc holders wont be happy with this.........,the competition has just started,polys will start restructuring their system,less direct entry(only nce holders),less struggle for universities,university systems also will work on their structure because there will be no more "theory orientations",POLY PEOPLE WILL REMEMBER BUHARI AND BE GRATEFUL TO HIM,Selah.

70 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Harvard13(m): 8:22am On Aug 03, 2016
this is trash.
restructure the system before equating them!! how u wan rank HND with B.Eng??;maka why??

14 Likes

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by kings09(m): 10:32am On Aug 03, 2016
Indeed Buhari will be remembered for dis policy. HND grads will even go for tnxgiving on dis policy. The competition jst got over-real wit dis policy. @least we now knw dat technical education stops @ OND level.
mamaafrik:
Some bsc holders wont be happy with this.........,the competition has just started,polys will start restructuring their system,less direct entry(only nce holders),less struggle for universities,university systems also will work on their structure because there will be no more "theory orientations",POLY PEOPLE WILL REMEMBER BUHARI AND BE GRATEFUL TO HIM,Selah.

5 Likes

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by kings09(m): 10:35am On Aug 03, 2016
R u scared of the HND grads? Beta buckle up cos HND engineering guys r used to practicals alredy while the university is all about theory n paper drawings. The psychological superiority u enjoyed has bn removed so beta ginger/upgrade urslf
Harvard13:
this is trash.
restructure the system before equating them!! how u wan rank HND with B.Eng??;maka why??

70 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by kazmanbanjoko(m): 11:08am On Aug 03, 2016
Okay. It will still take a while bfor it takes effect in the industry. Its gonna be parrallel changeover.

1 Like

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by engrjosefz(m): 11:09am On Aug 03, 2016
grin
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by naijaboiy: 11:09am On Aug 03, 2016
In my opinion, this is a good move. We should stop the degradation of HND graduates.

NAIRALANDERS PLEASE CHECK MY SIGNATURE.

Voting Has Commenced!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Abimloaded(m): 11:10am On Aug 03, 2016
This removal of a thing is just an agreement And removal on Paper.
Go out there with your HND Certificate and let those who graduated in a university present their B.Sc Certificate then you'll know those firms, Companies haven't removed the whatever they call it 'cos they'll mostly prefer the B.Sc to the HND.

You may call the Adamu Adamu to come to your Aid if such happens to you! grin grin

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by veekid(m): 11:10am On Aug 03, 2016
I'm happy to hear this confirmed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Damfostopper(m): 11:10am On Aug 03, 2016
It is a welcome development.... After all schoolz now are following 180 cuttoff mark.... University... Polytechnic.... Colleges are pegged at 180.... So let all their certificate be equivalent..... And this will reduce The number of people always applying for University.... Imagine 65000 candidates applying for uniuyo and only 15000 might be taken.... D rest will either go back or try Polytechnic or Colleges...... But as they av now removed The dichotomy..... Candidates can apply to poly n Colleges..... Knowing fully well that wen The finish..... It will still be d same certificate equivalent..... I think HND to B. Tech will be better..... Bsc holders wont be happy about this news..... But who cares what they think..... Pls morrons should not quote me

16 Likes

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Antarch: 11:10am On Aug 03, 2016

2 Likes

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by boman2014: 11:11am On Aug 03, 2016
God bless PMB

12 Likes

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by steffans(m): 11:11am On Aug 03, 2016
Long overdue..

Kudos to those who will get automatic salary increase!

2 Likes

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Ekeeyhandsome(m): 11:11am On Aug 03, 2016
I just hope all these bigotry firms seeking for only bsc holders as staffs will adhere to this new change
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by PietroRico(m): 11:11am On Aug 03, 2016
Poly students many for nairaland sha..

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Fadelex(m): 11:11am On Aug 03, 2016
long overdue, its so funny how people concludes that polytechnic students are less intelligent.... the institutions dont change who
you are, i passed through both system and I can categorically say that if polytechnics get more funding and attention like universities, they'll be on par.... but polytechnic should be restructured to accomodate only technical related courses, social science and administrative courses should be totally cancelled.
The govt still have a lot to do to normalize it, what would happen to those with barrier in their workplace? i know most establishments will be reluctant to lift those barriers... the name Polytechnic Should be removed, attach them to universities and make them award diploma only.

4 Likes

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Edezz(m): 11:11am On Aug 03, 2016
9ja Which Way?....
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Mediapace: 11:12am On Aug 03, 2016
Not bad check my Siggy
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by OgbeniSamm(m): 11:12am On Aug 03, 2016
Good development. Happy for my Polytechnic pals..
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by centmichael101(m): 11:13am On Aug 03, 2016
Good news

1 Like

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Barackmeringo: 11:13am On Aug 03, 2016
Finally!

Thank goodness

Please do go to take a look at my signature, thanks
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by greggng: 11:13am On Aug 03, 2016
lordoddy:

http://sunnewsonline.com/adamu-confirms-abolition-of-bschnd-dichotomy/

Does this mean I can now go for direct masters program with my hnd?

2 Likes

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by adewumiopeyemi(m): 11:13am On Aug 03, 2016
i dont think this will work out just look at this if a bsc holder go for an interview ..and the person beside him is an hnd holder.. who are they go take first bsc.will be employed first .. even bsc graduate will be payed higher than hnd....before it will work out will take a long time.. cool cool in upgrading the two together[/color] seriously

2 Likes

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Nwogeh: 11:15am On Aug 03, 2016
Plenty news on this issue...abeg
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Xflint(m): 11:15am On Aug 03, 2016
cooool one
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by badaoyeyemi(f): 11:15am On Aug 03, 2016

4 Likes

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Babysho(m): 11:15am On Aug 03, 2016
[size=17pt]Nigerian University undergraduates/graduates and Pride are like[/size]

Yet, they are not in the top 1000 universities worldwide.

There are some Polytechnics that are better than some Universities... PolyIb, Laspotech can stand some mumu Universities.

15 Likes

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Babysho(m): 11:16am On Aug 03, 2016
adewumiopeyemi:
BEFORE IT CAN WORK OUT HE GO TEY OOO just look at this if i go for an interview am a bsc holder..an d the person beside me is an hnd holder.. who they go take first no be bsc... even i go even be payed higher than them.....before it will work out will take a long time.. cool cool in upgrading the two together

Are you a BSC holder?

2 Likes

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by stano2(m): 11:17am On Aug 03, 2016
Ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA) Scholarship Awards - 2017/2018 / Cowbellpedia 2019: The Return Of Jessey Uche-Nwichi, The Mathematics Wizard / See How My Students Wrote Exams This Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.