Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,929 members, 7,828,233 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:57 AM

BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education (47433 Views)

Adamu Abubakar Rasheed Graduates From University Of Aberdeen UK. Nigerians React / FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders / HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by ebby9z(m): 2:58pm On Aug 03, 2016
Damfostopper:
It is a welcome development.... After all schoolz now are following 180 cuttoff mark.... University... Polytechnic.... Colleges are pegged at 180.... So let all their certificate be equivalent..... And this will reduce The number of people always applying for University.... Imagine 65000 candidates applying for uniuyo and only 15000 might be taken.... D rest will either go back or try Polytechnic or Colleges...... But as they av now removed The dichotomy..... Candidates can apply to poly n Colleges..... Knowing fully well that wen The finish..... It will still be d same certificate equivalent..... I think HND to B. Tech will be better..... Bsc holders wont be happy about this news..... But who cares what they think..... Pls morrons should not quote me

Not all schools. UI , OAU doesnt take 180. Polytechnics should just admit more qualified students and be less corrupt about their admission process
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by gabsuccess(m): 3:06pm On Aug 03, 2016
oh God change and change protocols for our favour oooooooooooooo oluwa
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by ekenetheorg(m): 3:07pm On Aug 03, 2016
Abimloaded:
This removal of a thing is just an agreement And removal on Paper.
Go out there with your HND Certificate and let those who graduated in a university present their B.Sc Certificate then you'll know those firms, Companies haven't removed the whatever they call it 'cos they'll mostly prefer the B.Sc to the HND.

You may call the Adamu Adamu to come to your Aid if such happens to you! grin grin

That's a lie, damn lie. As a business owner, I prefer someone who can deliver to someone with a certificate....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by AbuSaad39(m): 3:08pm On Aug 03, 2016
ruxxz:
It doesn't mean that all 400 level Chemical Engineering students cannot differentiate between pumps and compressors. I hope u wud b able to stand "the serious ones".
By the God's will, as long as Chemical Engineering is concern.
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by callmelanner(m): 3:23pm On Aug 03, 2016
They are removing hitherto dichotomy when there is unemployment rocking our nation like plague.
Why can't they upgrade NCE... Afterall it is certifate in education.
Some graduates of NCE can't even teach, so how do u want our educational system to improve when we have half baked teachers.
Emphasis should be laid on teaching as a whole.
No nation can survive with half baked teachers.
Upgrade colleges of education too not only polytechnics
My 2cent tho

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by kings09(m): 3:59pm On Aug 03, 2016
Dats d part d minister said d news is bn reported wit mischief. It has bn signed alredy. Only states r bn left @ their discretion to also follow suit wit state polytechnics. Dis part of mischief was perpetuated by some peeps in d ministry who ddnt like wat d minister did.
Dante2008:
u funny oooo because he never take place is said is putting it on hold pending is consultation with the stake holders.....GBAM.
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by hardestyoung(m): 4:24pm On Aug 03, 2016
I think you are 100% wrong................ In my opinion HND holder gets employed more than Bsc this days, and that's simply because they are better. Do your findings.
adewumiopeyemi:
i dont think this will work out just look at this if a bsc holder go for an interview ..and the person beside him is an hnd holder.. who are they go take first bsc.will be employed first .. even bsc graduate will be payed higher than hnd....before it will work out will take a long time.. cool cool in upgrading the two together[/color] seriously
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Ganma(m): 4:24pm On Aug 03, 2016
Nice move, Equality loading...
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Nusaf: 4:39pm On Aug 03, 2016
hardestyoung:
I think you are 100% wrong................ In my opinion HND holder gets employed more than Bsc this days, and that's simply because they are better. Do your findings.
U got it wrong. Most of these private sectors want to minimise cost by paying the hnd holders lower. I assure you that now that their status are the same, parade will change. Watch and see.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Ahmed99: 4:43pm On Aug 03, 2016
adewumiopeyemi:
i dont think this will work out just look at this if a bsc holder go for an interview ..and the person beside him is an hnd holder.. who are they go take first bsc.will be employed first .. even bsc graduate will be payed higher than hnd....before it will work out will take a long time.. cool cool in upgrading the two together[/color] seriously
lol u funny o.... are u related to this man

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 03, 2016
Alajiki:
I am a banker, a BM. I graduated from Polytechnic and in the process of employment, I dusted many BSc holders. Over 80,000 of us wrote the exam and only 550 were eventually employed bank wide. That was 2006.

Fast forward to today, I'm about to finish an Economics course at the University of Ibadan. If you know any UI graduate, the would tell you how tough Economics is in UI.

I can boldly say that there is no much difference in what I'm being taught now and what I had known before. In fact, my residual knowledge from the polytechnic has been very useful to my success in the current programme.

This policy by the FG should be taken a step further by establishing a bridge programme for existing HND holders to prepare them for MSc and ultimately PhD.

Nice one bro. But then you talked about FG creating a "bridge programme". Well, something like that already exists, as you suggested. It's called Post Graduate Diploma (PGD). HND holders usually have to do that and pass, before going for MSc or MBA. I hope you understand.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by nwadiuko1(m): 5:33pm On Aug 03, 2016
AbuSaad39:
I tell you. I'm a Graduate of OND in Chemical Engineering, I'm currently doing my 1year IT in NNPC, to be frankly a 400L student can't differentiat between a Pump and a Compressor and doesn't know their applications in the industry, buh I tried by all means in putting the student through.
did you really take any course in English language?
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Babysho(m): 5:37pm On Aug 03, 2016
nnaemekanwachuk:
Are you an HND holder?

Firstly, the correct sentence would be 'a' HND holder not 'an' and yes, I've got a HND. Any P?
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Davidolives(m): 5:43pm On Aug 03, 2016
PietroRico:
Poly students many for nairaland sha..
my guy dem too plenty see as them dey jump up and down.
reality go clear when you and bsc apply for the same job and entry to masters

1 Like

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Nusaf: 5:43pm On Aug 03, 2016
debco:
This development is highly welcome. I see no reason why H.N.D and BSc can't be rated the same. Enough practical is done in the polytechnic than university which you only get theory and paper drawings. What is the use of studying a course you can't practicalize? So I support the motion even though am B.tech holder
While I'm not holding brief for limited exposure to practicals on the part of the bsc holders, it will interest u to know that the most difficult part of engineering is the theory itself and that is the live wire of the engineering field. Theory and practical can be equated to software and hardware respectively. Let me tell u, u don't need to attend high school to be good in practical but certainly, same cannot be said of theory. And as I have said earlier, theory is the soul of engineering. All engineering practicals are based on theory. The relationships between a bsc holder and hnd in engineering can be likened to the type between a doctor and a nurse.

1 Like

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by AbuSaad39(m): 6:19pm On Aug 03, 2016
nwadiuko1:
did you really take any course in English language?
And what dose that suppose to mean, cos I don't know where your quote heading to mr man.
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by mondee02(m): 6:28pm On Aug 03, 2016
adewumiopeyemi:
Take note: poly will no longer award hnd it will now be B.tech. While university B.sc. Are you informed now?
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Banadekush(m): 6:48pm On Aug 03, 2016
Like seriously it a good decision. There should be no descrimination between the 2.
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Nusaf: 6:58pm On Aug 03, 2016
mondee02:

Take note: poly will no longer award hnd it will now be B.tech. While university B.sc. Are you informed now?
Pls don't get the whole concept twisted. The founding mandates of both categories of institutions still stand, and as such Poly remains hnd while unis remain bsc. Infact, I am just waiting to see how this will work out. Cos I don't know how a poly graduate with less theoretical knowledge will prescribe a solution in an environment where a bsc holder exist maybe just because he (the hnd holder) is a superior officer. Is just like a nurse directing a doctor on the appropriate prescription for an ailment. Anyway, let's wait and see how the new system works out.
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by nwadiuko1(m): 7:34pm On Aug 03, 2016
AbuSaad39:
And what dose that suppose to mean, cos I don't know where your quote heading to mr man.
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by mondee02(m): 7:54pm On Aug 03, 2016
Nusaf:

Pls don't get the whole concept twisted. The founding mandates of both categories of institutions still stand, and as such Poly remains hnd while unis remain bsc. Infact, I am just waiting to see how this will work out. Cos I don't know how a poly graduate with less theoretical knowledge will prescribe a solution in an environment where a bsc holder exist maybe just because he (the hnd holder) is a superior officer. Is just like a nurse directing a doctor on the appropriate prescription for an ailment. Anyway, let's wait and see how the new system works out.
I know what i'm saying poly will now award B.tech and no longer hnd
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by confiritch(m): 8:08pm On Aug 03, 2016
I read some of the contributions regarding this topic. I do not see any controversy in the Federal Government policy direction. The facts are: (1) The current intakes of HND students will be the last set to be issued with the certificate. (2) All non-science / technology-based courses in Polytechnics will be scrapped. (3) Polytechnics will award ND certificates in science-based disciplines only. (4) All FG owned Polytechnics will be colleges under proximate FG Universities, Vice-Chancellors will appoint Provosts for affiliated Polytechnics, while their ND holders who desire further studies will be awarded B.Tech by those Universities. (5) HND certificates will remain legal tender in Nigeria and it is equivalent to Degree. I think graduates should develop capacities to deliver to the best of their ability in various places of engagements.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Wolex143: 8:58pm On Aug 03, 2016
Good 2 hear ds.......
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by redsun(m): 10:59pm On Aug 03, 2016
Why are these cattle readers in charge of strategic positions in Nigeria these days? What have they got to offer Nigeria education system with their predominantly almajirin orientation?

Nigeria is doomed for good
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Juliana50(f): 12:25am On Aug 04, 2016
[This is Better Pikin's Blog] UNILAG SUG Leaders Bag Four Semesters Suspension Each

Authorities of the University of Lagos (UNILAG) have suspended Students' Union leaders who participated actively in the institution's last protest.
Betterpikins Blog authoritatively gathered that three of the suspended students have got their suspension letters, while others have been notified that they have a mail by their departments' officials.
We also learnt that the suspended students got between two to four semesters each.
Among those already confirmed to be suspended are the SU's Public Relations Officer, President and Speaker.
"None of them (SU leaders) was spared. The least among them got two semesters suspension," a source in the UNILAG Senate said. Sources close to the SU leaders also confirmed the suspension to us.
One of them said, "We are currently strategising on the way out of the challenge. Nobody is spared.

http://betterpikins..com/2016/08/unilag-sug-leaders-bag-four-semesters.html
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by greggng: 1:01am On Aug 04, 2016
mondee02:

I know what i'm saying poly will now award B.tech and no longer hnd

The correct thing is poly will now award nd and nce only. That means college of eduction is now an affiliate of poly. Meanwhile every other poly will now be affiliated to the nearest university close to it. With the exception of yaba tech and kaduna poly which has been upgraded to universities called city university. Even in the nd you wanna do at the poly it must be technologically or science Base. The percentage of other courses will be small. The whole essense of this reform is to eliminate further award of hnd. As a result existing holders and those who re yet to complete the hnd programs ve now been upgraded to the equivalent of bsc holders. In a nutshell the disparity has been removed. Why hnd still remains relevant after this reform is cos must hnd holders re into administrative courses and you cannot convert their hnd to btech.
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by distinction99(m): 1:31am On Aug 04, 2016
A welcome development. Together we can change Nigeria for good. let employment be based on what one can offer not what is on paper. whether HND or Bsc, let what is in your head speak practically.
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by dantanik(m): 1:34am On Aug 04, 2016
lordoddy:

http://sunnewsonline.com/adamu-confirms-abolition-of-bschnd-dichotomy/
then what about people with B.tech degree holders are they also the same ?
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by lordoddy(m): 3:56am On Aug 04, 2016
dantanik:

then what about people with B.tech degree holders are they also the same ?
Read d full gist here n see for urself:
http://www.fullgist.com.ng/2016/08/minister-confirms-abolition-of-bschnd.html
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Hndholder(m): 1:33pm On Aug 04, 2016
At last the truth is here. This is a great change
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Macaulish(m): 1:48pm On Aug 04, 2016
Removed or Not..

Is the dichotomy really going to stop among us, private companies and likes
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by mondee02(m): 4:04pm On Aug 04, 2016
greggng:

The correct thing is poly will now award nd and nce only. That means college of eduction is now an affiliate of poly. Meanwhile every other poly will now be affiliated to the nearest university close to it. With the exception of yaba tech and kaduna poly which has been upgraded to universities called city university. Even in the nd you wanna do at the poly it must be technologically or science Base. The percentage of other courses will be small. The whole essense of this reform is to eliminate further award of hnd. As a result existing holders and those who re yet to complete the hnd programs ve now been upgraded to the equivalent of bsc holders. In a nutshell the disparity has been removed. Why hnd still remains relevant after this reform is cos must hnd holders re into administrative courses and you cannot convert their hnd to btech.
Yes you are right, those that are already having hnd cannot convert, but no need to convert since D disparity has been removed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate / See How My Students Wrote Exams This Morning / See What They Did To This Guy After His Final Year Exams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.