Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,906 members, 7,828,185 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:09 AM

BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education (47431 Views)

Adamu Abubakar Rasheed Graduates From University Of Aberdeen UK. Nigerians React / FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders / HND/Bsc Dichotomy Resolved By The National Council On Establishment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Harvard13(m): 10:43pm On Aug 04, 2016
kings09:
R u scared of the HND grads? Beta buckle up cos HND engineering guys r used to practicals alredy while the university is all about theory n paper drawings. The psychological superiority u enjoyed has bn removed so beta ginger/upgrade urslf

oga, we didnt attend the same uni. a HND holder doesnt know what an engineer does. they are 2 different tasks. its not bout psychological advantage. even the curricula are different.
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Harvard13(m): 10:45pm On Aug 04, 2016
Ajewealth123:
oga forget that English wey u dey speak.am a product of both and I can tell u serious poly students are fucking good.if not even better.

i never said theyre bad. quote wisely. poly nd uni were NEVER made for the same reason. they should never be compared. u attended both and im sure you know the difference. an engineer and a technologist ain't the same thing. its not a NIGERIAN issue alone
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Harvard13(m): 10:46pm On Aug 04, 2016
sound60:
,,, maybe you should go kill you self,,... This is d world we live in accept it,,,

really? thats what you have to say? how do u think this shii will affect me??
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by dayopti(m): 2:35am On Aug 05, 2016
I am surprised that no body have mention anything about the grading system of both the university and the polytechnic, for instance in university it is possible for you to score a final Cumulative grade average less than 50% and still come out with second class Lower division. for example

First Class = 4.5 - 5.0
Second class upper = 3.5 - 4.49
Second class Lower = 2.4 -3.49
third class = 1.5 - 2.39

this is on 5 point NOTE THAT 2.5 IS 50% OF 5.0 POINTS (Second class lower starts from 2.4 which is far far less than 50%)

but in Polytechnic, for you to come out with a Lower Credit you need to score far far above average.

Distinction = 3.5 - 4.0

Upper Credit = 3.0 - 3.49

Lower Credit = 2.5 - 2.99

Pass = 2.0 - 2.49

this is on a scale of 4 point NOTE THAT 2.5 IS 62.2% OF 4.0 POINTS (Lower Credit starts from 2.5 which is far far above 50%)

so for you to come out with a Lower credit in the Polytechnic you have score far above average

some times i look at the Nigeria Education policies, I feel very sorry for Polytechnic Students, I am HND graduate with Lower credit in 2004, I had to go through PGD before doing my Masters and after my Master degree, I decided to use my HND for Direct entry to 200L in the University and after 3 good years I graduate with Second Class Upper with final GP of 4.34 almost First Class.

But for me I still value my HND with Lower credit compare to my BSc with 2.1, you know why?? because I dint real put in enough effort of reading like the way I did when I was in the Polytechnic. University education system is so so easy. I was working and schooling and I was able to come out with a very strong 2.1, but during my HND i was a full time student and I graduated with Lower credit.

Some times I see some organization like KPMG and the likes when they advertise in the daily or online, you will see something like BSc with Second class upper, OND and HND please do not apply, you can imagine the kind of damages these types of organizations are doing to the Polytechnic Education system in Nigeria. if you are a father or mother and you read this kind of advert, you will never allow your son or daughter to go to the Polytechnic, or better still an SS3 student wishing to go to the polytechnic to study Mech Eng., by the time he or she sees this type of adverts, he or she will be discourage to go to the Polytechnic.

I hope with this new harmonization, any organizations that put such advert to discourage people from going to the Polytechnic should be adequately sanctioned to serve as deterrence to others who may follow suit.

We all know what happen to some banks that refuse to employ HND graduates and even when they do, it is outsourced as contract staff (Intercontinental, Oceanic etc.) they all collapse or liquidated. On the contrary am yet to see banks like Firstbank, UBA , Unity bank, Union Bank that employ HND graduate as full staff collapse or liquidated, even the immediate past MD of Firstbank is a HND graduate .

2 Likes

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by tosyne2much(m): 3:44pm On Aug 05, 2016
dayopti:
I am surprised that no body have mention anything about the grading system of both the university and the polytechnic, for instance in university it is possible for you to score a final Cumulative grade average less than 50% and still come out with second class Lower division. for example

First Class = 4.5 - 5.0
Second class upper = 3.5 - 4.49
Second class Lower = 2.4 -3.49
third class = 1.5 - 2.39

this is on 5 point NOTE THAT 2.5 IS 50% OF 5.0 POINTS (Second class lower starts from 2.4 which is far far less than 50%)

but in Polytechnic, for you to come out with a Lower Credit you need to score far far above average.

Distinction = 3.5 - 4.0

Upper Credit = 3.0 - 3.49

Lower Credit = 2.5 - 2.99

Pass = 2.0 - 2.49

this is on a scale of 4 point NOTE THAT 2.5 IS 62.2% OF 4.0 POINTS (Lower Credit starts from 2.5 which is far far above 50%)

so for you to come out with a Lower credit in the Polytechnic you have score far above average

some times i look at the Nigeria Education policies, I feel very sorry for Polytechnic Students, I am HND graduate with Lower credit in 2004, I had to go through PGD before doing my Masters and after my Master degree, I decided to use my HND for Direct entry to 200L in the University and after 3 good years I graduate with Second Class Upper with final GP of 4.34 almost First Class.

But for me I still value my HND with Lower credit compare to my BSc with 2.1, you know why?? because I dint real put in enough effort of reading like the way I did when I was in the Polytechnic. University education system is so so easy. I was working and schooling and I was able to come out with a very strong 2.1, but during my HND i was a full time student and I graduated with Lower credit.

Some times I see some organization like KPMG and the likes when they advertise in the daily or online, you will see something like BSc with Second class upper, OND and HND please do not apply, you can imagine the kind of damages these types of organizations are doing to the Polytechnic Education system in Nigeria. if you are a father or mother and you read this kind of advert, you will never allow your son or daughter to go to the Polytechnic, or better still an SS3 student wishing to go to the polytechnic to study Mech Eng., by the time he or she sees this type of adverts, he or she will be discourage to go to the Polytechnic.

I hope with this new harmonization, any organizations that put such advert to discourage people from going to the Polytechnic should be adequately sanctioned to serve as deterrence to others who may follow suit.

We all know what happen to some banks that refuse to employ HND graduates and even when they do, it is outsourced as contract staff (Intercontinental, Oceanic etc.) they all collapse or liquidated. On the contrary am yet to see banks like Firstbank, UBA , Unity bank, Union Bank that employ HND graduate as. full staff collapse or liquidated, even the immediate past MD of Firstbank is a HND graduate .
This is a very insightful comment and I so much respect you for it sir. cool

Many university students are quick to dish out all sorts of derogatory and demeaning remarks to polytechnics students without knowing that, with the grading system of polytechnic, many of them cannot survive.. To graduate with a lower credit in the polytechnic is not a child's play as it requires hard work and labour.. In my own institution as well as other polytechnic, the minimum GP that will keep your studentship intact is 2.00, and any student that fails to hit 2.00 will be sent packing. With if CGPA of 1.99, your ass will be kicked out in the polytechnic.

If you check the university grading system, you don't even need to be an average student before you can bag 2.2... If you perform a mathematical calculation, you would discover that just 40% performance will land you a 2. 2 in the university, but in the polytechnic, 40% performance will definitely send you back home cheesy

Lastly, to get an A in the polytechnic, you have to hit 75 while that of most universities is just 70.

1 Like

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by deewon56: 7:20pm On Aug 05, 2016
to buttress Mr tosyne2much , school like The POLYTECHNIC IBADAN CGPA are 4.5-5.0 : distinction so wat the difference between POLYTECHNIC nd university?

1 Like

Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by tosyne2much(m): 7:58pm On Aug 05, 2016
deewon56:
to buttress Mr tosyne2much , school like The POLYTECHNIC IBADAN CGPA are 4.5-5.0 : distinction so wat the difference between POLYTECHNIC nd university?
You're so right bro
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by raindrop99: 12:29am On Aug 06, 2016
Poly guys are both practical and theory wise unlike uni guys that knws little or nothing abt practicals and field works.
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Hndholder(m): 4:57pm On Aug 06, 2016
I do not trust the minister on HND Dichotomy. Looking for another way to lock Technical Education out
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by awopejus: 8:41am On Aug 09, 2016
If this could happen, then people will wave bye to university. Especially Engineering students
Re: BSc/HND Dichotomy Has Been Removed - Adamu, Minister Of Education by Hndholder(m): 3:41pm On Aug 26, 2016
They say it happens or He don happen

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why You Must Avoid Carryovers At All Cost As An Undergraduate / See How My Students Wrote Exams This Morning / See What They Did To This Guy After His Final Year Exams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.